HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rookies Next Year

Old
03-01-2012, 02:58 PM
cliu122

vCash: 500
Rookies Next Year

What rookies do you expect to see on the Senators in the 2012-2013 season? I feel that they might be

Goalie:
Ben Bishop (as a backup to Anderson)

Defense:
Mark Borowiecki
maybe Patrick Wiercioch

Forwards:
Mika Zibanejad
Jacob Silfverberg
maybe Andre Petersson

cliu122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Jackie Treehorn

I think you're probably right. I wouldn't count Stone out either, he just seems to keep improving. It's going to be a fun offseason just because of the competition to make the lineup will be stiff. Condra, Daugavins, Butler, and even Greening will have work to do to stay ahead of Zbad, Silfverberg and Stone. Meaningful competition has been sorely lacking for a long time and it's back in spades. All this is assuming Winny, Konopka and Regin aren't back.

As far as defense goes, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Kuba. I believe he will be back, but that's far from certain. Borowiecki will push, Carkner may be back as the seventh guy just so Borocop doesn't ride the pine.

Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Philadelphia Collins

Jim O'Brien will probably get a full year as the 4th line center if they don't re-sign Konopka
Silfverberg I can see making it straight to the NHL. Can play top or bottom 6, pretty safe bet
Borowicki will most likely slot in as a 6/7 full-time next season
Petersson/Stone/Zibanejad are all a toss-up depending on how the camp goes

Daugavins is probably gonna go. He seems like a cool dude, but ever since he won that spot he's been invisible and kinda useless. He is destroying the 3rd line right now

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:33 PM
BigEyedPhish

Silfverberg wins Calder, and they all make their respective olympic teams

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Yokai

vCash: 966
Lets not starting handing out the Calder to another Swedish prospect until he produces over here.

I'm excited to see how Claesson, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Stone, Noesen, Puempel, and Prince perform in camp but after Rundblad I'm not going to bother hyping any of them up in my mind.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:15 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

1. Bishop has a one way contract for next season so unless he is traded I assume he will be the backup goalie.

2. I'm not so sure that Boroweicki will be in Ottawa next yr, my guess is that Murray adds a big tough young UFA defenceman this summer.

3. I think that one or two of Silfverberg, Zibanejad & Hoffman will be in the lineup next yr.

4. IMO O'Brien will be the 4th line centre for next season.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Berserker*

I would go with Silfverberg, Zibanejad and Stone up front. Da Costa still counts as a rookie I think, so I would consider him as well. Other then that, I see Hoffman, Dziurzynski and Prince each getting a fair amount of games.

On defence, Borocop is the only guy that I am confident will push for a spot out of training camp. I would also consider Blood and Sdao but that is entirely contingent upon how they play in pre-season. At this point we have no way of knowing how they stack up against NHLers and AHLers for that matter.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:37 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
Silfverberg wins Calder, and they all make their respective olympic teams
Huh? Next season is the 2012/2013 season. The Olympics is not until 2014, so that would be the following season. Lacking a little sleep today?

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:41 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

F: Silfverberg, Zibanejad, O'Brien ie winchester, daugy, and butler are gone.
D: Borowiecki (carkner is gone)
G: Bishop (Auld is gone)

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:41 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

One of Borowiecki, Wierioch, Gryba makes the team as there should be an opening.

O'Brien and Daugavins are already going to have full-time spots locked up on the team barring an awful end to this season or awful training camp.

And assuming there are a couple forward spots open, you have to think Silfverberg and Zibby are almost sure bets to make the team. If only one spot is open than it should be a hell of a battle, but at 20 years old, it's still very possible that the Sens think Zibby needs some time in Bingo first. A good wild card option and someone who can really make things interesting on the staff next year.......Shane Prince. He may not even need any time in Bingo, seems like one of those guys who can make the jump from junior to NHL. There's players who succeed that way pretty often. He's tearing up the OHL, and he could be a lot like Couture who never played in the AHL. If he doesn't make it next year, he's a lock the following season.

And yes, unless he is kidnapped and taken to Iran, Ben Bishop is the back up.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:58 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
F: Silfverberg, Zibanejad, O'Brien ie winchester, daugy, and butler are gone.
D: Borowiecki (carkner is gone)
G: Bishop (Auld is gone)
My line-up is as follows:

UFA-Spezza-Michalek
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfredsson
Greening-Smith-Zibanejad
Foligno-JOB-Neil
Condra

UFA-Karlsson
Gonchar-Phillips
Cowen-Weircioch
Gryba

Anderson
Bishop

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:03 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Goalie: Bishop.. Obviously, since he is signed to a one way contract.
Defense: Borocop.
Forwards: Zibby for sure, and maybe Silfverberg. I think we'll sign a UFA forward though.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Huh? Next season is the 2012/2013 season. The Olympics is not until 2014, so that would be the following season. Lacking a little sleep today?
HE obviously means they'll be SO AWESOME, that they're selected a year in advance

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post

UFA-Spezza-Michalek
Greening-Smith-Zibanejad
Foligno-JOB-Neil
Condra

UFA-Karlsson
Gonchar-Phillips
Cowen-Weircioch
Gryba

Anderson
Bishop
Yes, but where does Brad Peltz fit into this equation?

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:37 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I would go with Silfverberg, Zibanejad and Stone up front. Da Costa still counts as a rookie I think, so I would consider him as well. Other then that, I see Hoffman, Dziurzynski and Prince each getting a fair amount of games.

On defence, Borocop is the only guy that I am confident will push for a spot out of training camp. I would also consider Blood and Sdao but that is entirely contingent upon how they play in pre-season. At this point we have no way of knowing how they stack up against NHLers and AHLers for that matter.
I believe that Sdao is a junior this yr & I haven't heard that he will be leaving school early, have you? I also think that Prince will have his hands full staying in the Bingo lineup & may even see some time in Elmira more so than Ottawa. While I think Da Costa will be only an injury callup I do think that Hoffman & Dziurzynski are getting close. In fact, I could see Hoffman challenge Silfverberg for a roster spot next season. Blood IMO is behind Gryba & Wiercioch.

IMO Borocop may not be quite NHL ready from what I have seen, it wouldn't surprise me if Murray signs a UFA defenceman this summer to replace Kuba. Especially because they have Gilroy as a pmd they could go out & get a big, tough, left shot young UFA defenceman to play with Gilroy or Gonchar. Bryan Allen would be a good choice if he becomes available.

Old
03-01-2012, 05:44 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
1. Bishop has a one way contract for next season so unless he is traded I assume he will be the backup goalie.

2. I'm not so sure that Boroweicki will be in Ottawa next yr, my guess is that Murray adds a big tough young UFA defenceman this summer.

3. I think that one or two of Silfverberg, Zibanejad & Hoffman will be in the lineup next yr.

4. IMO O'Brien will be the 4th line centre for next season.
I've read that Bishop is waiver exempt next season, so the backup job could theoretically go to anyone, but I would also assume Bishop gets the job.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:50 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I've read that Bishop is waiver exempt next season, so the backup job could theoretically go to anyone, but I would also assume Bishop gets the job.
Bishop would have been a UFA at the end of this season which meant he could have signed with anyone. I always thought that you were only waiver exempt while you were a RFA. So this yr he is waiver exempt but next yr as a UFA age he would not be waiver exempt. It would be nice to know the fact, is he or is he not waiver exempt, I think he is NOT.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:00 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Bishop would have been a UFA at the end of this season which meant he could have signed with anyone. I always thought that you were only waiver exempt while you were a RFA. So this yr he is waiver exempt but next yr as a UFA age he would not be waiver exempt. It would be nice to know the fact, is he or is he not waiver exempt, I think he is NOT.
I think B. Murray said he isn't, but then Tim Murray said he is, so who the F knows.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:03 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
waiver exemption has nothing to do with RFA/UFA/1-way/2-way.

it has to do with signing age and number of nhl games played.

bishop was 20 on the june 30 preceding his contract. That means he was waiver-exempt for 4 years/60 games, whichever happens first.

08-09
09-10
10-11
11-12

he is not waiver exempt next year.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:

UFA-Spezza-Michalek
Greening-Smith-Zibanejad
Foligno-JOB-Neil
Condra

UFA-Karlsson
Gonchar-Phillips
Cowen-Weircioch
Gryba

Anderson
Bishop
That could be a really good ****ing team.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:

Parise-Spezza-Michalek
Greening-Smith-Zibanejad
Foligno-JOB-Neil
Condra

Suter-Karlsson
Gonchar-Phillips
Cowen-Ceci
Boroweicki

Anderson
Bishop
fixed.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:37 PM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

Michalek - Spezza - ?
Foligno - Turris - Alfie (looking more and more likely)
? - Smith - Neil
? - ? - ?

Phillips - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
? - ?

Anderson
Bishop (most likely, due to his contract)

(Lines and D pairings aren’t serious. Just to show which players are guaranteed a spot for next season. Since I’m not including Condra, Greening, or Butler I guess Smitty could be debateable but whatever, I think he’ll be there.)

NHL possibles: Condra, Greening, Butler, Daugavins, Winchester, Regin, O’Brien,
Carkner, Kuba, Gilroy

Euro possibles: Silfverberg, Zibanejad

AHL possibles: Hoffman, Petersson, Da Costa, Boroweicki, Weircoch, Lehner

CHL possibles: Stone, Prince, Noesen, Pageau, Puempel

UFAs: Kuba, Gilroy, Carkner, Winchester,

RFAs: Karlsson, Foligno, Regin, Daugavins, O’Brien

Didn’t include Konopka or Auld because it’s very unlikely they’ll be re-signed. Both are UFAs.

We have 5 forward spots up for grabs. We have 7 capable NHL players that could fill all those spots. Including European prospects, AHL prospects, and the one CHL prospect with any realistic chance (Stone), there are 13 guys that could compete for those 5 spots. If we don’t re-sign any of our RFA/UFA forwards, then we’ll have 9 guys competing for 6 spots. I think Foligno is very likely to be re-signed, which would leave 9 guys competing for 5 spots: Condra, Greening, Butler, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Hoffman, Petersson, Da Costa, and Stone. It’s also not entirely unlikely that 1-2 of O’Brien, Regin, Winchester, and Daugavins is re-signed as well. Gotta think O’Brien is almost a lock, and I could see them giving Regin one last chance to stay healthy. When healthy he’s still better than a number of current forwards on our team. If both those guys are re-signed, we will have 11 forwards competing for those 5 spots.

Taking a closer look:

- There could be 4 centers (Zibby, Regin, O’Brien, Da Costa) competing for 1 opening. You could also make the case that Smith’s 3rd line C spot is up for grabs too, but I personally think he has it locked down. Right now, I would think O’Brien has the inside lane since he’s been shinning in the 4th line C position lately. If Regin can stay healthy he could easily take one of the center spots and bump O’Brien from the roster. Looking like Zibby is gonna have to give the wing a try. Kinda feel bad for Da Costa.

- There are 4 wing positions available. One of them is top line RW. Butler has been playing decent in that spot lately but has still had a terrible season overall. Greening has also played well in that spot at times, but ideally it would be better to have a more skilled player there. If Zibby does end up moving to wing I’m sure they’ll at least try him out there. Silfverberg and Petersson could also be tried there for sure.

Anyways, my point is that everything is totally up in the air right now. Honestly, it couldn’t be a more uncertain situation. There are so many different players, coming from different places, competing for different spots that may or may not even be available. All of this and I didn’t even get into the defence (although that situation is probably a lot less uncertain). Training camp next summer is going to be extremely fun the watch. There’s going to be an insane amount of competition. If I had to I would guess that, by this time next year, our lineup will look something like this:

Michalek – Spezza – Zibby
Silfverberg – Turris – Alfie/Petersson (depending on Alfie’s health)
Foligno – Smith – Hoffman
Greening – O’Brien – Neil
Cowen – Karlsson
Phillips – Gilroy
Boro/Carkner - Gonchar

KarlssonMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:39 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

If we get Parise, we will contend for the Conference next year, mark my words. That's why I believe Murray will indeed go hard after him.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
If we get Parise, we will contend for the Conference next year, mark my words. That's why I believe Murray will indeed go hard after him.
Murray: Erik, if you take 6.5 a year, we can't go after Parise...if you take 5.5, we can.

Karlsson: No, I mean, Alfie told me you would do this.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:02 PM
JustinYS

I thought not being delusional was what set us apart from Leaf fans. Parise will not be on Ottawa come next season. Please get it through your head people!

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote