HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Reebok Edge socks?

Old
03-01-2012, 06:10 PM
CPAir

vCash: 500
Reebok Edge socks?

Hi all i picked up a pair of these recently, the non pro stock and found that i really couldn't attach them in any way. Sure they have one velcro tab for the front but what about the back? They don't naturally attach to the velcro on my jock.

They seem pretty popular nowaways....but how do i keep them up??

CPAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 648
They stick to the velcro on the back of my jock fine. I have been using them for 3 or 4 years and have never had one fall down.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:49 PM
rinkrat22

the one in front is enough to keep them up. I have been using them since they came out and have never had one fall down

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:54 PM
vapor11

I have never tried any other way but I put them on logo at the back attached to my yellow mesh bauer jock and they stay up..occasionally over the course of the game my jock will go down and the sock will reveal some skin at the front of my leg between pant and shin pad..kinda annoying..wish there was a velcro tab on both sides..or maybe I should have got the Jr edge socks..I have been able to fix the sagging with a bit of sock tape but I bought the socks in the first place with the hopes of not needing sock tape anymore

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:54 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

I have pro stock and they don't stick at all, and end up coming all the way down to the top of my shins. It's pretty annoying. Probably wouldn't be so bad if they were pro stock xl... They're huge.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:13 PM
ponder

Just buy some velcro, go to your local dry cleaning/alterations place and have them sew it on, they should only charge you a few bucks to do so, and actually might even have some velcro lying around themselves.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:20 PM
CPAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Just buy some velcro, go to your local dry cleaning/alterations place and have them sew it on, they should only charge you a few bucks to do so, and actually might even have some velcro lying around themselves.

Certianly a solution but Not exactly what i wanna do after going out and spending $30 for socks in the first place.

Pretty stupid design flaw honestly, what was Reebok thinking?

CPAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:04 PM
IIHFjerseycollector

Send a message via AIM to IIHFjerseycollector
i personally hate the edge socks. i love the good ole socks from 10-15 years ago..

IIHFjerseycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:16 PM
r3cc0s

I love the edge socks, it is a noticable difference between them and trad woolies for heat.

Buy a 3inOne... Wear perf underwear under that... Keeps you really cool and dry.
I hate jock shorts

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:34 PM
vapor11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIHFjerseycollector View Post
i personally hate the edge socks. i love the good ole socks from 10-15 years ago..
Howcome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
I hate jock shorts
Howcome?

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:56 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAir View Post
Certianly a solution but Not exactly what i wanna do after going out and spending $30 for socks in the first place.

Yeah, it's a dumb design in the first place, but this is an extremely easy fix. I've modified plenty of pieces of hockey gear, and something like this is about as easy as it gets modification wise. If you have a drycleaning place nearby they'll be able to sew on some velcro in literally seconds, and they really shouldn't charge you more than a couple bucks (if you're a regular customer, they might do it for free, it's seconds of labour with a good sewing machine, and almost no thread).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:33 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel View Post
Howcome?

Howcome?
simple...

I prefer not swassing up my jock that I don't wash every time I play hockey

plus there is much more room to breath

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:58 PM
hockeymass

I have a pair and they stay up fine with the tab in front.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:04 PM
nystromshairstylist
Moving to Warroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAir View Post

I go to my local dry cleaners and get ripped off (like everything else in NYC) by having them sew on an exact duplicate of the front tab. They even keep stock of 2" wide velcro strips just for me, though I think I've got enough pairs of the Edge sox to last a while.

From what I had heard, Reebok had made the Edge socks to go with their hockey jocks/clothing, which only had a front tab to latch onto the socks. They had not intended for the Edge sock to be sold across the market, it was just for purchasers of their own garments.

Given how much in demand they are, it is surprising that other manufacturers have not begun producing lightweight socks to compete with them. I dislike the older, more traditional weave polyester sock given how hot they are to wear.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:10 PM
hockeymass

If you like the Edge style but not necessarily the Reebok version, Hockeytron sells their own, which have two velcro tabs and are cheaper. The downside is that they say TRON on the front.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:46 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
If you like the Edge style but not necessarily the Reebok version, Hockeytron sells their own, which have two velcro tabs and are cheaper. The downside is that they say TRON on the front.
this....i have both and i dont have issues with either...i do love the "edge" socks and feel like they hold up way better then the old style, and i also love how they have a tighter fit

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:41 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
another option is the kobe k3g socks. have velcro in front and back.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:43 AM
hyster110

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-h...trap-3in1.html

dont like the velcro, get one of these

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Stickmata

?? All I wear are the Edge socks and they stay up just fine. If you just roll the back fabric part over the velcro on the back of your jock, it holds fine. Never had one come loose in the back. I'll bet those of you having trouble keeping them up aren't pulling your socks up enough and you're getting a lot of pull with every stride.

And after wearing these, I could never go back to the traditional heavy, hot hockey socks. So much lighter, cooler and less restrictive.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:52 PM
ssgjeff7

I got a pair two days ago and have worn them once. I just carefully cut the Velcro off and use my garter. I liked it a lot better than the traditional socks.

ssgjeff7 is offline   Reply With Quote