HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Mike Richards

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2012, 06:52 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
actually, it should reflect real life. there is a clear issue of anonymity with the internet that every company has to remedy. There is a reason why you create an hfboard account, so that they can promote or penalize your online identity. Even open sites like Wikipedia are forced to restrict controversial topics to only account users because of this issue.

So yes, i think message boards should be close to real life.

Back to topic, I think it's funny how everyone quantifies MR as only a goal/assist player. But, again, you guys won't agree.
When Mike Babcock picked him for Team Canada at the Olympics, it was because players find him so hard to play against. That should help the people who think it's all about points. Sometimes it's about preventing the other team from putting up points of their own.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:58 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
When Mike Babcock picked him for Team Canada at the Olympics, it was because players find him so hard to play against. That should help the people who think it's all about points. Sometimes it's about preventing the other team from putting up points of their own.
Nothing will help those people, trust me. They've already formed their opinions of him and this thread equates to two sides bashing their heads against a wall.

Old
03-01-2012, 07:08 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Nothing will help those people, trust me. They've already formed their opinions of him and this thread equates to two sides bashing their heads against a wall.
That's why my "ignore" button has been working overtime today

Old
03-01-2012, 07:14 PM
no name

Well, last week a player poll was conducted and Mike's peers voted him as the 42nd best player in the NHL, sitting him roughtly around a top 10 center. That's his peers. Not a bunch of frustrated Kings fans.

List came out today.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...yers-4541.html

Old
03-01-2012, 07:19 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Well, last week a player poll was conducted and Mike's peers voted him as the 42nd best player in the NHL, sitting him roughtly around a top 10 center. That's his peers. Not a bunch of frustrated Kings fans.

List came out today.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...yers-4541.html
pfft, what do they know

Old
03-01-2012, 07:48 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

UPDATE: Better question. Cammalleri or Mike Richards. Who would you guys want to have? Cammalleri has a higher PPG avg plus by far, more goals (the more valuable statistical commodity).

I'm genuinely curious how you would weigh this out. For me, it's easy by a long shot. In fact, I think I'd add in a 1st or 2nd round pick to trade Cammalleri for Richards. For purposes, assume they have the same exact contract.

Last edited by KingPurpleDinosaur: 03-01-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old
03-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
And just how much does Laperriere love Richards? He pretty much reaffirmed the things he said last June when talking about the former Flyers captain - stating that if he was running a team, Richards would be on the short list of five players he would have to have.
http://www.mayorsmanor.com/2012/03/f...west-king.html

Old
03-01-2012, 07:57 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...hards-captains

Words of respect from Laviolette, Patrick Sharp, and Toews.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:05 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Tonelli,

Why are you spouting off a bunch of hyperbole? Did you even READ what I wrote?

You just said, "if you like his style then, ok" after I clearly said, "personally I don't find Button be entertaining or engaging."

You also accused me of "basing my opinions off what Button said" and where have I done that? I don't even know WHAT he said about Mike Richards. My opinion of Mike Richards is based on what I know from people who work for the Flyers organization currently and from ex-members. It has NOTHING to do with Craig Button....my only point at all about Button is "He knows the game". I think he does, you don't. Fine, let's move on.

But you accused me of posting here just to say "Mike Richards is the worst player, yada yada yada". I mean, can you possibly be more hyperbolic than this? I expressed my views on Richards as a "leader" and again, clearly said, "THAT DOESN'T MEAN MIKE RICHARDS IS NOT A GOOD PLAYER".

I have no problem discussing topics and can be very fair even if I disagree with someone. I just don't why you are being extreme and making up stuff I didn't say.

Its funny but what you are saying is exactly what you accused me of in your previous post.

Yes, I can use allot more hyperbole, without a doubt.

But in the hopes of furthering the conversation at hand, how do you respond to what Lappy has had to say about MR's leadership and also the fact that he was voted among the top 50 best players in the game today by his peers and not some anonymous people who work for the Flyers org?

His peers, actual hockey players voted him among the top 50 in the game and Lappy, a heart and soul player who is one of MR's direct peers said that MR is one of the top 5 people he would want if he were starting a team from scratch today.

Those are both very heady praise from actual NHL contemeraries and again not just some anonymous people who work for the Flyers that may or may not have an axe to grind with MR providing that they exist (not questioning your honesty, just saying that I have no idea who they are and what they may or may not do for the team and can only base my opinion on what you have said which leaves room for speculation to their existence. Maybe you have been mislead by people who claim to work for the Flyers etc).

Old
03-01-2012, 08:14 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I did a quick comparison of Schenn, MR and Simmonds first seasons with their first teams, last seasons with their previous teams and up to date stats with their current teams and if you combine Simmonds and Schenn you get MR in most cases.

I had the numbers together but something happened with my connection. Go ahead and take a look, Schenn has 8g and 2a for 10 points, Simmonds has 39pts and MR has 31 pts so he has 19 fewer pts then both of these players combined playing on a team that is seeing each and every one of its players having the worst seasons of their careers.

If you put Simmonds back on this team he would likely have another 15 goal season and Schenn might have even fewer points.

Just something to consider when crucifying MR.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I feel like it needs to be reiterated, MR's bad play is due to his concussion. Look how wish-washy Drew played last season, he was a trainwreck in there, look how long Gagne's been out. It takes a LONG TIME for most guys to get their feet and bearings under them. It doesn't help when he had to play with two plugs after the time where he probably has been begun to feel good.

Let's see what happens with his new linemates.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:

Yeah but did you read what Matt Barry and Tyson Nash had to say about him?

Old
03-01-2012, 08:18 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:

List came out today.
THN had 5 players from every team vote on their top five players in the league, they could not vote for anyone on their own team

So just making the top 50 means alot of players voted you as one of the top 5

Richards is one of the hardest players to play against in the league, because he's so solid defensively and reads the lanes and traffic patterns so well. He frustrates the enemy and you have to work hard for evey inch of space.
I'm sure that is something , depending on what position the polled players played, that was put into who they voted for.

On the main HF board, someone who has seen the entier list (which will be in the march 19 HN issue) said the top 6 players ranked are all centers.

It says alot when your peers who war against you rank you as one of the best.

Quote:
Babcock 's a huge Richards fan, as are alot of coaches who know and underdtand the kind of game he brings. He told Yzerman 'if you want gold , we need Richards' and he wa sright. That line was the best and most consistent line they had.

Richards was on his way to having a great season, not just 11 G and 20 points in 24 games but playing beastly in his own zone ,playing with a snarl and defending his teammates whenever they were run at.
The head injury changed all of that, but having Carter here should take the pressure off Kopitar, as long as Sutter is smart enough to keep them on separate lines. Goals will come, wins will follow

Old
03-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:

Wow, you're reaching now. That article was from May 2010!! In case you haven't noticed, NO ONE was complaining about Richards' play in 2010. The issues and drop in his game really started before the 2010-11 season last year. In May of 2010 Richards was the captain of the Flyers in the Cup...of course there were praises...and rightfully so. But in case you haven't noticed, Richards hasn't been the same SINCE. You might as well be posting a Business article from 1997 saying how "great the US economy is" since we're using old articles to discuss a current issue.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

This thread still going?

Old
03-01-2012, 08:28 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Wow, you're reaching now. That article was from May 2010!! In case you haven't noticed, NO ONE was complaining about Richards' play in 2010. The issues and drop in his game really started before the 2010-11 season last year. In May of 2010 Richards was the captain of the Flyers in the Cup...of course there were praises...and rightfully so. But in case you haven't noticed, Richards hasn't been the same SINCE. You might as well be posting a Business article from 1997 saying how "great the US economy is" since we're using old articles to discuss a current issue.
Pure hyperbole.

Again, this is an example of your opinion that you believe MR isn't a very good player. Show me how I should take anything else away from what you have written. Where does it say MR is a good player but not a good leader specifically?

I just don't see you making any distinction between the two positions. It seems to me like you think that MR isn't a very good player. Not a good leader but a good player like you previously stated.

The article I am referring to came out very recently. We have a thread for it on the boards here.

Last edited by etherialone: 03-01-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old
03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I feel like it needs to be reiterated, MR's bad play is due to his concussion.
As much as I find most of the anti Mike Richards arguments in this thread laughable, I have to say that your statement is not a fact. There is no proof and everything that has been told by Kings and Richards says it's not true. Now, while it is possible that what you say is correct, it is in my opinion very unlikely. But definitely not a fact.

As some people were saying, it is possible that it mentally affects him. It is possible that it's part of the reason why he has lost his confidence.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:39 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
As much as I find most of the anti Mike Richards arguments in this thread laughable, I have to say that your statement is not a fact. There is no proof and everything that has been told by Kings and Richards says it's not true. Now, while it is possible that what you say is correct, it is in my opinion very unlikely. But definitely not a fact.

As some people were saying, it is possible that it mentally affects him. It is possible that it's part of the reason why he has lost his confidence.
We've been seeing the same thing with Giroux in Philly. He missed only 4 games but he hasn't been the same since coming back. He's had points in streaks but there has been a lot of really stupid play, brutal defence, being too cute on offense etc.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:40 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
He's just another former Flyer trying to get Lombardi to give him a job.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Johnny Utah

I never questioned his leadership. I guess my argument is different from a lot of peoples except Tomd's....all I said if he is not worth Simmonds and Schenn and he is not what the LA Kings needed at this particular time.

We make the playoffs two years in a row, don't even make it to a game 7 either time and all of a sudden we trade for Richards and are Stanley Cup contendors and no longer rebuilding. Ha. Laughable.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:46 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I never questioned his leadership. I guess my argument is different from a lot of peoples except Tomd's....all I said if he is not worth Simmonds and Schenn and he is not what the LA Kings needed at this particular time.

We make the playoffs two years in a row, don't even make it to a game 7 either time and all of a sudden we trade for Richards and are Stanley Cup contendors and no longer rebuilding. Ha. Laughable.
I understand your position but take issue with the notion that MR isn't worth what we gave to get him or that he has anything to do with our being in the position that we are currently in (or solely responsible for our being there).

MR is having a hard first season in LA but so is everyone else. He has struggled since his concussion but who knew that he would get concussed and then struggle. Had he stayed healthy he would likely have continued at his scoring pace prior to his injury (arguably so anyways).

Also compare MR's last season in Philly with WS and BS's current seasons there and MR outscores both of them combined by a stretch while adding in stellar two way play and leadership that is considered to be among the best in the game.

I guess my issue is that there are several mitigating factors for his poor play on our team that he has zero responsibility for then some people are giving him credit for.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:54 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Again, this is an example of your opinion that you believe MR isn't a very good player. Show me how I should take anything else away from what you have written. Where does it say MR is a good player but not a good leader specifically?

I just don't see you making any distinction between the two positions. It seems to me like you think that MR isn't a very good player. Not a good leader but a good player like you previously stated.
In that case I think you'd have to admit that MR isn't performing like a very good player overall this season. Be it from a concussion or new team or system or terrible linemates, he isn't anywhere near the player that he was a few years ago. Call them reasons or excuses - it really doesn't matter. If he was performing like he has in the past, this thread wouldn't exist.

....but he isn't. Point out all of the things that he does that don't show up on the scoresheet until you are blue in the face. The bottom line is that the team is in 10th place in the West - and until the standings start considering things other than wins and losses, the rest of it doesn't mean much.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:08 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
In that case I think you'd have to admit that MR isn't performing like a very good player overall this season. Be it from a concussion or new team or system or terrible linemates, he isn't anywhere near the player that he was a few years ago. Call them reasons or excuses - it really doesn't matter. If he was performing like he has in the past, this thread wouldn't exist.

....but he isn't. Point out all of the things that he does that don't show up on the scoresheet until you are blue in the face. The bottom line is that the team is in 10th place in the West - and until the standings start considering things other than wins and losses, the rest of it doesn't mean much.
I will absolutely concede the fact that MR, like every other player on our team is underperforming for several reasons and in that he isn't living up to my expectations. Of course neither is every other player on our team save JQ and a couple of dmen.

Can you say the same? I mean are we truly laying all the blame on MR or are going to agree that he is only one of 30 players (throughout the season) who has or seems to be/have been underperforming?

That is my position. MR is one of an entire team (save one or two) of players who haven't played as expected or are having bad seasons so to lay any blame at his feet that you don't lay at everyone else's doesn't seem realistic to me.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:24 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I will absolutely concede the fact that MR, like every other player on our team is underperforming for several reasons and in that he isn't living up to my expectations. Of course neither is every other player on our team save JQ and a couple of dmen.

Can you say the same? I mean are we truly laying all the blame on MR or are going to agree that he is only one of 30 players (throughout the season) who has or seems to be/have been underperforming?

That is my position. MR is one of an entire team (save one or two) of players who haven't played as expected or are having bad seasons so to lay any blame at his feet that you don't lay at everyone else's doesn't seem realistic to me.
The primary problem for me is that he was brought in here at a steep price to be THE difference maker. If his acquisition doesn't make a difference in the performance of the team, why get him in the first place?

IMO, getting Richards would have made sense if he truly was the last piece of the puzzle, but he clearly wasn't - and that should have been perfectly clear to DL, but it obviously wasn't just like it should have been clear that Penner was a trainwreck looking for a place to crash.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:27 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

WOW.

PSP - you couldn't even agree the whole team has sucked except for Quick...?

Dear God some of you people need help.

Last edited by TonySCV: 03-01-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: leave the moderating to the moderators please
Closed Thread