HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Canes

Old
03-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Trident61494

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Well I expected that type of hockey when the trade deadline was over. Oh how I was wrong.
...and yet another possible reason Torts sat him for the rest of the game.

Trident61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:38 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
So does benching him for 2 periods help facilitate getting "more from him"? If you've of that philosophy, then maybe they should start making him healthy scratches from games then? I'm of the philosophy that he needs to play through his struggles out on the ice. Not watching the game from the bench or press box.
My own view is that a lot of patience has been shown with Dubinsky. I've never coached any players beyond peewee, so I cannot really relate to players beyond that age.
What has unlimited icetime and patience done for Dubi's game? I actually believe that this incident may be neither a negative nor a positive in changing anything. It may very well be making a mountain out of a molehill in terms of the import we give it. So, I give my nod to Tortorella. I come down on his side, and I do point my finger at Dubinsky. I do not see Torts underperforming, while I do see Brandon underperforming.
That is how I see it, and I have been a big booster of Dubinsky since the day he came up to the Rangers pretty much alongside Callahan. Recently, I have modified my view of him and no longer see him as a necessity.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:44 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

Ever since the infamous Ottawa game dropped us to 3-3-3, when this entire board was about ready to jump off a cliff... declaring that the Rangers were to be completely massacred by the Sharks in the upcoming home game...

38-12-3

That is a winning percentage of .717, and a points earned percentage of 74.5%, ladies and gentlemen

For a little perspective... that would translate to a 122 pt regular season in the NHL, and a 116 win season in the MLB.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

With a win over Tampa tomorrow we could very well have a chance to put the conference away Sunday against Boston.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
With a win over Tampa tomorrow we could very well have a chance to put the conference away Sunday against Boston.
Also someone mentioned that we would hit 90pts before anyone in the conference hits 80.

And Hank's birthday is tomorrow!

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:51 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Ugh.

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman (poor Sam)
Eminger-Bickel

Not expecting a win tomorrow with that lineup.
Do we need to post Tampa's D pairings?

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
And it almost cost us the game. I want to see Dubi-Richards-Cally for more than 5 minutes tomorrow. 2 point night for Dubi tomorrow.
Why? Hagelin has outplayed Dubi all year and played at a 50 point pace. Dubi doesn't deserve that spot with the way Hagelin's playing.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:54 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Missed the game tonight. How'd the boys look? Did John Scott do anything?

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Btw, despite biron having a crappy month, his point % is actually .04 higher then lundqvist. .733 vs .695.

Lundqvist: 64 points out of 92 possible
Biron: 22 points out of 30 possible (he played in a 16th game because hank had to leave due to skate pain, he did not get a decision for that game)

Neither goalie was ever pulled from a game, except that one where hank had skate pain.

Yeah he got some easier matchups but cmon, he's the backup.

So people need to **** about his supposedly **** performance. When your backup is getting you 73% of the possible points in games he's starting, regardless of the matchups or any other BS some of you guys manage to come up with, there is NOTHING to complain about.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Oh, and biron gave 8 quality starts out of his 15. So his point % stats are a bit inflated due to him getting better goal support, but I'm still happy with a backup who gives a quality start half the time.

http://hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=921
According to that, the average starter last season gave a quality start about 60% of the time. So 53% for a backup isn't bad.

Let's be realistic here. The typical backup is going to give you less then half quality starts, and you're hoping for .500 of the points.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:26 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
The Bruins were demolishing teams during their insane win streak earlier in the year, what did that prove/accomplish for them now that they are struggling over the past month? I really don't care how we win games, just as long as they win as a team (i.e. get complete efforts throughout the line-up and not rely on individual contributors to decide the outcome).
You can then look at the Wild who had a ridiculous amount of games early in the season that they won by 1 goal. My point is in this type of game, if the other team instead of us gets the lucky bounce we lose the game. I've given up on us winning game by complete destruction, but I wouldn't mind some more 3-0, 4-1, or 5-2 games.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Dubi's in the Chateau Bow Wow.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:32 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Oh, and biron gave 8 quality starts out of his 15. So his point % stats are a bit inflated due to him getting better goal support, but I'm still happy with a backup who gives a quality start half the time.

http://hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=921
According to that, the average starter last season gave a quality start about 60% of the time. So 53% for a backup isn't bad.

Let's be realistic here. The typical backup is going to give you less then half quality starts, and you're hoping for .500 of the points.
Biron had some shaky games recently. Tonight, he was pretty good for a backup. Maybe he has a stretch of good performances now, to make up for the mediocre ones.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

The Good: Stepan Line
The Bad: Biron's 5 hole. And the entire league knowing where to start shooting.
The Ugly: Dubinsky throwing a stick away costing us a goal.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Trident61494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Dubi's in the Chateau Bow Wow.
Well played sir...

Trident61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:59 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I thought Biron had a damn good game tonight. Played with the swag he usually has.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Biron had some shaky games recently. Tonight, he was pretty good for a backup. Maybe he has a stretch of good performances now, to make up for the mediocre ones.
This is my point. People are freaking out over the fact he had a few bad games. What the hell are they expecting out of a guy playing for basically league minimum?

If he didn't have bad games he wouldn't be playing for 800K

Old
03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
They need to get Dubinsky going before the playoffs roll around... Sitting him on the bench the entire game is not going to help accomplish that goal. We've had other players take stupid penalties and not get the same treatment.
Well they've literally tried everything else but sitting him and nothing has gotten him going to date.

I don't know if it were warranted but this has definitely been a season's accumulation of things and not just one penalty. I think the benching is more of an attempted jump start and wake up call rather than a punishment.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:25 PM
twatson94
Black Hockey Fan

Yea boyyy!!! I was at this game in Section 105!! It was my first time seeing the Rangers in person and I'm stoked that they won the game.

3 Stars
1. Marian Gaborik - 30 goals baby! Keep it going Gabby!
2. Artem Anisimov - Nice snipe Artie!
3. Marc Staal - I thought he played a brilliant game.

HM - Derek Stepan, Brian Boyle, Brandon Prust, Marty Biron

Good: Biron's goaltending, the GAS line, Prust's goal on a nice setup from Boyle, getting to watch McDonagh and Girardi

Bad: the fact that I didn't get to see Captain Cally or Lundqvist (I didn't see him on the bench, Was he there?) , the powerplay, the missed empty-netters

Redden: Dubinsky's stupid penalty and the fact that he didn't play after that. Of course it led to a goal.

Let's get it done in Tampa! Rangers all day!

twatson94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:51 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Scott did fine tonight. Nice to see him get in there and equalize all those shenanigans after Skinner's ugly hit on Staal.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
So does benching him for 2 periods help facilitate getting "more from him"? If you've of that philosophy, then maybe they should start making him healthy scratches from games then? I'm of the philosophy that he needs to play through his struggles out on the ice. Not watching the game from the bench or press box.
Maybe they should start benching him. Dubinsky is a man - not a child - and this is his career. We've all seen him do it in the past so we know he can. Is he snake bit? Is he enjoying his new bloated contract? Is he too busy playing house with his new fiancé? Idk, but it's been 60+ games already. He needs to man up - not be coddled.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:11 AM
fists2cuffsny
Rookie User

damn dubi made some mistakes but i feel he got shafted

fists2cuffsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:20 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

I see Scott played almost 5 mins..

How did he look ?

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

it wasnt a bad play...it was a DUMB play. thats the point. i think Torts can tolerate mistakes a hell of a lot more than sheer stupidity. Dubi knows better. You can bet your ass he'll think twice about doing something that idiotic ever again.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
I see Scott played almost 5 mins..

How did he look ?
big....very....big.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote