HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Zherdev

Old
03-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

vCash: 500
Jesus... Zherdev on this squad is like trying to make a jack-hammer better by putting lip stick on it.

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
You're joking, right?

He was completely, insanely misused by Campbell that prompted the trade to Pens in Kovalev's first stint with the Rangers. He was doing quite fine while he played in Pittsburgh for the most part. He totally sucked during his second stint with the Rangers but it was for less than 1 year. Then again he was doing quite well with the Canadiens even becoming their captain, maybe with an exception for his last year there. And in Ottawa he was already finished as a productive player. Where did you get for the most of his career is beyond me.
Not kidding at all. I never said he was bad, simply that he could have put up much better numbers than he did. He was insanely skilled similar to Zherdev, for what ever reason he didn't take advantage of it. He could have scored at will a lot of times. The things Kovalev could do with a puck were amazing, he just didn't want to do it.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:59 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
1 word. effort.

guy had all world talent, but didnt work hard enough shift in and shift out. very much like Wolski.
Hes much better than WW, but i still would not want his effort level. Even Semin gets criticized who is more skilled and gives more effort than he did.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:50 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

he made things look effortless and therefore never looks like he's putting forth the effort. so when he does, it's hard to notice. i think he get's an unfair label of being the aloof type of hockey player. his problem is he did not bring consistent effort night in and night out so when he WAS floating and not being the impact player he's paid to be, it was really easy to jump on his case. the other thing was his contract made it impossible for us to qualify him so i ~think~ we wanted to resign Z but it was impossible for his agent to accept a lower offer from us so off to Russia he went. When he came back, the Flyers were really the wrong team for Z to sign. He needed to be on Detroit playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Would have had a career season there. Going back to Russia a second time, he's really gave himself the label as a guy who doesn't persevere and unwilling to stick it through so now I doubt any team will give him enough money to want to come back and unless he develops a burning desire to come back, I can't see him compromising his pride to return.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:57 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb1985 View Post
I remember thinking one of these days Zherdev will bury the goal of the year. He made it look effortless, dangling through everyone on the ice, sometimes twice but after all that he'd miss the net or hit the goalie in the chest. The year after he left, imagine him as secondary scoring behind Gabby. We could have finished 6th or so but we ended up in 9th. I also know full well he would have been a better 3rd shooter than Olli in that infamous shootout
give me a ****ing break

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:39 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Remember his goal against the Penguins?
I was at that game. Maybe the best game I've been to.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Zherdev is an individualist out on the ice. Plays for himself, not for his team... Not enough heart, not enough effort, not enough desire. Un-coachable, as many coaches have figured out. He is the antithesis of what we have developed with this current team.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
h0ckeyman

While I wish that I could find any possible way to justify getting Z back on the Rangers, this team is built around hard work. He wouldn't fit in, just like Wolski didn't.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Kovalev 2.0 in a way. Massive skillset, no heart.
How? What?

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:00 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Not kidding at all. I never said he was bad, simply that he could have put up much better numbers than he did. He was insanely skilled similar to Zherdev, for what ever reason he didn't take advantage of it. He could have scored at will a lot of times. The things Kovalev could do with a puck were amazing, he just didn't want to do it.
1000+ regular season points
100 playoff points
1300 games
1st Russian to have his name on the Stanley Cup (along with 3 teammates)
21 points in 23 playoff games as a 2nd year player during the '94 Cup run

I get that people think he could've done more (they same the same things about Jagr), but you can't dispute that he's had a top 10 career of any Russian that has played the game (so far). So tired of people saying stuff like "lazy" and "could've been better" when talking about Kovalev and Jagr and Kovalev, in particular, because we don't win the Cup without him.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Kovalev 2.0 in a way. Massive skillset, no heart.
Kovalev was 3 times the player Zherdev is. When he actually tried, he ran the show. He may not have had much heart, but to score over 1000 points you have to give some sort of effort. Now if Kovy had Cally's heart, he would have been up there with Messier, Lemeiux, Jagr, and all of the other guys who are considered generational talents.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:42 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Half the player Kovalev was.
word

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
100 playoff points
1300 games

I get that people think he could've done more (they same the same things about Jagr), but you can't dispute that he's had a top 10 career of any Russian that has played the game (so far). So tired of people saying stuff like "lazy" and "could've been better" when talking about Kovalev and Jagr and Kovalev, in particular, because we don't win the Cup without him.
Neat.

I'm simply saying he could have done even better. I didn't discredit any of his achievements...

I'm actually complimenting him.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Fanned On It

Saying that a player "could have done better" is a lame way of complimenting someone... although it IS a compliment.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Bulls9220

What I never understood was he just like collapsed. Like he was really good and then like mid-season just stopped everything.

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:40 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
100 playoff points
1300 games

Because Kovalev could have scored a lot more points if he didn't come around like Leap year.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:19 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
1 word. effort.

guy had all world talent, but didnt work hard enough shift in and shift out. very much like Wolski.
Funny that you mentioned Wolski---on another forum, I compared WW to Zheredev. Both could be stars in the NHL if they cared.

As for Kovalev, he's back in the KHL now...but he played over 1300 games in the NHL---you can't have that long a career if you don't put in the effort.

I'll take a Boyle over a Zheredev any day...Boyle busts his butt. The one thing you cannot really coach is effort.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:34 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Funny that you mentioned Wolski---on another forum, I compared WW to Zheredev. Both could be stars in the NHL if they cared.

As for Kovalev, he's back in the KHL now...but he played over 1300 games in the NHL---you can't have that long a career if you don't put in the effort.

I'll take a Boyle over a Zheredev any day...Boyle busts his butt. The one thing you cannot really coach is effort.
Wolski does care, he just didn't do the other little things that torts demanded, therefore he cut his ice time and eventually just sat him. Wolski needs ice time to score. Right away he's making an impact for Florida because they're giving him minutes. Wolski just wasn't meant to be for the Rangers. I'm very happy for him though, he's finally getting to play.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Cant believe you guys dont think Kovalev didnt have the heart and floated.

Randy Moss put up huge numbers too, and he has no heart, and floated... same ****.

Coldshot and Underhill making sense.

Put Zherdev in the mid 90's and see what his points totals are.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:43 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:

Randy Moss put up huge numbers too, and he has no heart, and floated... same ****.

Why is that hard to believe? The dude was the biggest floater for a decade. Could have easily been a 100 point player every season in his prime if he wanted to come to the rink and give it his all.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:51 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
Why is that hard to believe? The dude was the biggest floater for a decade. Could have easily been a 100 point player every season in his prime if he wanted to come to the rink and give it his all.
He had a double negative in his sentence. He was agreeing with you.

"Mophead in the middle is the mad scientist of the group. He sits quietly, wide eyed with a smile on his face until someone unleashes him, and then he explodes into an explanation Fury like a coked out physicist explaining the Theory of Relativity to a grade 8 class."
Follow me on Twitter
Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

Put Zherdev on the 94 team and we are still thirsting for a cup.

1940!

You miss that chant? Well thanks to the guy who played with no heart you don't have to hear it anymore. He played a huge part of that team and went on to have a great NHL career, stop hating.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:02 AM
McNashty
HATERS GON' HATE!

vCash: 827
Send a message via AIM to McNashty Send a message via MSN to McNashty
Zherdev <3

McNashty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:59 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Put Zherdev on the 94 team and we are still thirsting for a cup.

1940!

You miss that chant? Well thanks to the guy who played with no heart you don't have to hear it anymore. He played a huge part of that team and went on to have a great NHL career, stop hating.
Its not hating, its recognizing the fact the guy never played to his ceiling. ONE playoff run... and you seriously dont think Richter or Messier had a lot more to do with that whole season? You must have a Kovalev picture above your bed.

He had a good career, just not the one he should've had.

He's Randy Moss.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote