HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs play ridiculous game, win, 5-4 in shootout

Old
03-02-2012, 07:53 AM
HeShootsHeScores

vCash: 500
As the season went on, it became more and more obvious that despite having only one productive offensive line, the real problem is the weak defensive zone and front of the net protection that's been killing this team since last year's playoffs.

PG's biggest mistake imo was building an inexperienced group of d-men.

This team is disorganized in their own zone. The level of confidence of the team crashed when it became obvious they sucked at protecting a lead, and never really got back on its feet.

And while ****ing up a lead is mostly the defensive group responsability, I think Price is not really good either at handling adrenaline fueled part of games. One could argue he cannot do miracles with such a crappy team in front of him, but honestly, I don't remember one game this season where I was telling myself "damn, he decided to turn the switch on" and litteraly steal a game. His shutouts this season looked easy, not hightlight reel packed material.

He's without a doubt a secure presence in front of the net, but he is not an inspiring goalie in key situations. It sometimes comes off as if his "in control" attitude that we tend to like a lot from a goalie sometimes leads the whole team into lacking emotion whatsoever. His key saves don't boost the team, they often just delay the inevitable. He'd do wonders with a cup contending team (imagine if he was with Detroit for example), but I think he lacks the capacity to be driven by emotion in the span of a game, where his team needs him to prevent the card castle from falling.

He is the anti-Tim Thomas, but damn can Thomas be a spark plug for his team.

Understand me well, I like Price, he's surely one of the msot gifted goalie in the world right now. I'm just trying to figure out what's been lacking on his part in this disastrous season, where the team screwed so many chances to stop the downward spiral.

Last edited by HeShootsHeScores: 03-02-2012 at 08:01 AM.
HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
As the season went on, it became more and more obvious that despite having only one productive offensive line, the real problem is the weak defensive zone and front of the net protection that's been killing this team since last year's playoffs.

PG's biggest mistake imo was building an inexperienced group of d-men.

This team is disorganized in their own zone. The level of confidence of the team crashed when it became obvious they sucked at protecting a lead, and never really got back on its feet.

And while ****ing up a lead is mostly the defensive group responsability, I think Price is not really good either at handling adrenaline fueled part of games. One could argue he cannot do miracles with such a crappy team in front of him, but honestly, I don't remember one game this season where I was telling myself "damn, he decided to turn the switch on" and litteraly steal a game. His shutouts this season looked easy, not hightlight reel packed material.

He's without a doubt a secure presence in front of the net, but he is not an inspiring goalie in key situations. It sometimes comes off as if his "in control" attitude that we tend to like a lot from a goalie sometimes leads the whole team into lacking emotion whatsoever. His key saves don't boost the team, they often just delay the inevitable. He'd do wonders with a cup contending team (imagine if he was with Detroit for example), but I think he lacks the capacity to be driven by emotion in the span of a game, where his team needs him to prevent the card castle from falling.

He is the anti-Tim Thomas, but damn can Thomas be a spark plug for his team.

Understand me well, I like Price, he's surely one of the msot gifted goalie in the world right now. I'm just trying to figure out what's been lacking on his part in this disastrous season, where the team screwed so many chances to stop the downward spiral.
I agree and have been saying it for a while that our problems this year stem from an inexperienced D. Even our PP woes are due to lack of blueline support. Otherwise we wouldn't be doing dump and chase, but we would be settling in instead.
I think the reason why Price hasn't looked as great is also because of our D. Yes Goalies can steal games. But if your D ain't there, a goalie can't have much influence except once in a while, no matter how good he is (unless they keep letting in softies, but they have to be bad). Thomas is good, but he looks better because of the D in front of him too. So many times have goals been because of lack of proper coverage.
All things considered with the team, I think Price is doing great. Give him some better D to help him out and I'm positive we'll see him at his best.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:38 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Take that Desharnais haters!

DD has a bright future in this league and he'll be even better next season!

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:53 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnage View Post
Stupendous tank move by Setoguchi with the game on the line, so laughably inept it can't be questioned.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Peace

From what I can see, it was a .... wild... game sorry too obvious

Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:11 AM
JMlesHABS

After watching the game:

df.png

JMlesHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Protest the Hero

Any update on Palushaj? Left the game with a towel over his eye, that's not usually good.

Nice to see Eller score on the PP.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Tusk

Now the defense needs to be toughened up like the forwards and this might not be a bad team soon enough. I wonder if they are going to also bring in a skilled guy for the top 6 next year to offset the loss of Cammalleri and Kostitsyn? I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the draft and summer materialize.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
We need those two points against the Leafs on Saturday. Then the tanking can continue.
I want Toronto to win.

Helps our tank.
Pushes them up higher even though they won't make the play-offs.

It's the best thing that could happen.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I want Toronto to win.

Helps our tank.
Pushes them up higher even though they won't make the play-offs.

It's the best thing that could happen.
I can't cheer for us to lose. If we are going to win though, I hope it's an OT win so that TO doesn't get two points for the playoffs but gets the one to mess up their tank.

Perfect result.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I can't cheer for us to lose. If we are going to win though, I hope it's an OT win so that TO doesn't get two points for the playoffs but gets the one to mess up their tank.

Perfect result.
Gotta agree.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Haha beauty of a game.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:23 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 50

what a hit

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:15 AM
BakerNator

I just watched the game...

Why was Campoli on the ice with Kaberle for the last minute.

Those 2 looked like idiots out there during the last goal. All running around chasing the puck and leaving men open in the slot.

Shoolboy defending.

BakerNator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:03 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerNator View Post
I just watched the game...

Why was Campoli on the ice with Kaberle for the last minute.

Those 2 looked like idiots out there during the last goal. All running around chasing the puck and leaving men open in the slot.

Shoolboy defending.
Suppose to be school?? Lol

Anyways I am pretty sure it was Gorges on the ice when the 4th Minny goal was scored. He dove on the ice when the puck squirted free and it was put in the net.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:58 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
Suppose to be school?? Lol

Anyways I am pretty sure it was Gorges on the ice when the 4th Minny goal was scored. He dove on the ice when the puck squirted free and it was put in the net.
Yes, it was, I think Campoli was on with Kaberle when they scored the 3rd goal....

What a crazy weird game that was....freaky things going on, fights, Emelin's hit on Cole...the shootout gaffe by Setagouchi the list goes on and on.....I did like what White and Staubitz brought to the game...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:22 AM
GeneralMarky79

Campoli and Kaberle on the ice? thats cunnys way of Trolling all the Anti -Tankers hahahahaha

GeneralMarky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Yes, it was, I think Campoli was on with Kaberle when they scored the 3rd goal....

What a crazy weird game that was....freaky things going on, fights, Emelin's hit on Cole...the shootout gaffe by Setagouchi the list goes on and on.....I did like what White and Staubitz brought to the game...
Staubitz brought a SOG and a good bodycheck in that particular game. No "truculence" per se, probably because he's buddies with a lot of Wild players.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:18 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post

what a hit
I was just thinking, if Emelin did get the wild player instead of Cole, Cole would've eaten the wild's player's skates in the face..

la25ecoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:51 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Staubitz brought a SOG and a good bodycheck in that particular game. No "truculence" per se, probably because he's buddies with a lot of Wild players.
True, but sometimes it's just having these guys in the lineup that makes a difference...

Old
03-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
True, but sometimes it's just having these guys in the lineup that makes a difference...
I agree, but White had a bigger impact for this particular game. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that we have Staubitz just in case if we need his services.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:02 PM
la25ecoupe

Yeah but White cheapshotted Veuilleux

la25ecoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:27 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Yeah but White cheapshotted Veuilleux
That is true and about time the team starts to do some since the Habs are usually the victim.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:26 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
That is true and about time the team starts to do some since the Habs are usually the victim.
Bang on...and going into this season, we all seemed to know that we needed some of these kind of players, but P G and JM seemed to go the other way...we were too soft all season until White's recovery from surgery...

Now, he needs to address the back end, and bring in another dman who is not so soft...