HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Ryan Johansen

Old
02-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I'm not really going to say anything else on this topic, because I just repeat myself which I'm sure is annoying to you as it is to me. I'm not happy with how he is being developed this season, whether or not that is my own bias I don't know, all I can say is I'm not happy about it, and I personally think they aren't doing anything to help him develop the way things are currently or else he wouldn't be a lot worse now than he was in month 3. Also comparing other sports to hockey makes no sense, especially baseball and hockey which aren't anywhere near similar sports.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

vCash: 500
I'm starting to become convinced that Johansen will start next year in Springfield. And I'm thinking at this point, it's not a bad idea. Put him at center and have him learn the position and hopefully start to dominate again.

I was for sending him back to the WHL at the start of the year and I stand by that position. Hopefully, he's learned that playing fulltime in the NHL requires top-notch conditioning and he dedicates himself to the gym in the summer.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:23 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
lol, why the hell did they keep him if they weren't going to play him. You can say he had nothing left to learn in the WHL, well he certainly can't learn anything in the press box watching the Blue Jackets play. Don't keep him up if you aren't going to play him. I'm sick of hearing people mention the Boston model, Columbus isn't Boston, Columbus doesn't have the talent that Boston has/had. The worst part is, there is a huge difference between Johansen Before January and Johansen now, and that isn't a good thing.

People want to say that the ice time should be earned, well Cam probably has earned a shot up here, but what about R.J. Umberger and Vermette and Letestu, and Gillies, none of those guys have earned a damn thing this year yet they are still tossed in the lineup in the top 6 regularly. Richards is a joke, just like Arneil was a joke, neither has any business running a hockey team on the bench at the NHL level. People were up in arms about Hitch being inconsistent with how he treated players, well these guys are clearly worse.
He's played 50 out of 63 games. I hardly think that means he's not being played. His average TOI is 13 minutes, and he's averaging 17 shifts a game.

If you've ever played a sport, you know that veterans, those have been there before, will always get the benefit of the doubt with playing time. Ice time is earned in many ways, just one of which is how well you're playing. If you have a guy that's played 400 games with 100 goals or whatever, he's going to get more time than the flavor of the month. Certainly you have to develop the future, but you don't hand it to them either. That kind of thinking is what messed up a lot of our younger guys to begin with.

I want Johansen to be good too, but I don't see him doing anything with the ice time he's getting to warrant more. I suspect eventually he'll get a 'reward' of playing up in the top 6 for a few shifts or even a game or two so he can have a chance to perform, but it's up to him to do something to earn it.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I'm not really going to say anything else on this topic, because I just repeat myself which I'm sure is annoying to you as it is to me. I'm not happy with how he is being developed this season, whether or not that is my own bias I don't know, all I can say is I'm not happy about it, and I personally think they aren't doing anything to help him develop the way things are currently or else he wouldn't be a lot worse now than he was in month 3. Also comparing other sports to hockey makes no sense, especially baseball and hockey which aren't anywhere near similar sports.
Every player in every sport has a limited number of years on his career. Yes, MLB applies because GMs have a nasty tendency to assume that if a player can't go right into the everyday lineup, he must be sent back down to the minors. If a player is close to ready, it makes more sense to give him an apprenticeship than it does to waste an entire year of his career not getting any better.

Every NHL team with an under-20 player faces the same dilemma. In most cases it's crystal clear that the kid isn't ready. But when you have someone one year post-draft who's basically peaked at the junior level, sending him back wouldn't do anything. He'd be skating circles around everyone, scoring on everyone, and not being exposed to the faster and higher-caliber NHL. Everyone talks about the fear of "developing bad habits" against inferior competition. That's not me, that's everyone.

Look at Ovechkin. He dominated the NHL for five years, and he's now in his second subpar year. Is he not playing as hard? Or, as some have said, is it a matter of physical conditioning? If someone who's had such superlative adjectives attached to his name as Ovechkin has backed off on what he does off the ice, why would a 19-year-old be any different? In theory, a 19-year-old who doesn't have school or work commitments would be able to work out every hour of the day. In reality, every one of us was 19 once and most of us squandered more of that than we'd like to admit.

With any player in any sport, there's a moment where the light goes on and they see what it takes to play at the highest level. I think that's a lot more likely to happen in the NHL than the WHL.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:00 AM
DuklaNation

Richards is just trying to get a job for himself. No excuse for him not to play the kid at C for the final 6-8 games 17-18 min. Who cares if he bombs, it will be a great learning experience for the summer.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

http://eye-on-hockey.blogs.cbssports...94626/35051841

Blog entry from earlier today on Ovechkin. It mentions that his weight this year has dropped from 242 to 224, and also that his weight coming into camp has gone up incrementally each of the last five years.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Matt

Looks like this guy is another in a long line of number one draft busts.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:18 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Looks like this guy is another in a long line of number one draft busts.
Very premature.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Very premature.
Agreed. And I like how he is throwing the body around, he must have had 3 or 4 good hard hits in Colorado. Keep working, and the puck will find its way on your stick.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:56 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Very x 1 billion premature.
Much closer to accurate.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:23 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Much closer to accurate.
I tend to be imprecise.

Old
03-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
I tend to be imprecise.
Interesting terminology, in my field of study we often joked how intramentation could be precisely inaccurate, reproducibility being the key to precision regardless of its accuracy. In the case of Johansen your response was accurate, judging him as a bust at this stage of his career is premature and if you say it 15 or so times exactly the same way it will be precise as well.

Last edited by Robert: 03-02-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
8 minutes last night and again on the wing. So has someone in the Columbus media asked why this keeps happening?

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
I tend to be imprecise.
Your golf game again?

Old
03-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
8 minutes last night and again on the wing. So has someone in the Columbus media asked why this keeps happening?
Yes, off the cuff I recall Richards focusing on work ethic..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:15 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Interesting terminology, in my field of study we often joked how intramentation could be precisely inaccurate, reproducibility being the key to precision regardless of its accuracy. In the case of Johansen your response was accurate, judging him as a bust at this stage of his career is premature and if you say it 15 or so times exactly the same way it will be precise as well.
Apparently, Robert, your field was not full of yucksters, based on what you often joked about! Thanks for the support, anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Your golf game again?
If, as Robert postulates, reproducibility is the key to precision, I'm the poster boy for the failure to successfully apply that theory to golf.

Old
03-02-2012, 10:24 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
He was asked on his radio show, not specifically about Johansen, but about bringing kids of to get experience and he said their main goal is trying to win games....so how can you bring up the kids to get experience and then expect RJ, Nash and the other vets to win. The NHL isnt a development league

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:53 AM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
I listened to the game on the radio last night since I was at work, but I kept hearing the play-by-play guy say "Johansen is pushed off the puck".

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Johansen is definitely worse than he was before the all star game. Before he was always winning board battles, was skating, was disturbing the other teams offense by breaking up passed, now all he is doing is hitting. He is very slow and lethargic in his skating (looks like Nash at his worst when skating), He is losing about 95% of his board battles, and he isn't doing anything good really defensively. I don't know why he's different, maybe it's a confidence issue, maybe it is conditioning, but I don't understand why he doesn't skate, he's playing like a scared little puppy out there. Very disappointed with his play lately, but I don't know what is the cause of it.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:55 PM
frito

He looked like he had zero confidence in the Colorado game. He looked lost and disengaged. How is his Jr. team looking. Not that I wish them bad fortune but would like to seem them not make the playoffs so he can be sent down to Springy and actually get some playing time and development.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:57 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
He looked like he had zero confidence in the Colorado game. He looked lost and disengaged. How is his Jr. team looking. Not that I wish them bad fortune but would like to seem them not make the playoffs so he can be sent down to Springy and actually get some playing time and development.
I don't think he can get sent down.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:52 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I don't think he can get sent down.
Not to Springfield, anyway. As I understand it, he still could go back to Juniors, but that won't happen.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:12 PM
frito

I think he can get sent down to Springy AFTER his junior team is done (could be wrong) which is why I was hoping for his Jr. club to be eliminated from the playoffs.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:13 PM
EspenK

So where do you guys see him next year?

Here in the press box?

Here as a starting center-which line?

Here as a winger?

In Springfield?

My guess unless he has a great camp he could be destined for Springfield.

What a waste of a year of his entry level contract. Should have been in juniors in retrospect.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:16 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
I think he can get sent down to Springy AFTER his junior team is done (could be wrong) which is why I was hoping for his Jr. club to be eliminated from the playoffs.
I think the age limit is in effect for the entire year, no matter the Juniors playoffs.