HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, College, International, Other) *Part VI*

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The prospect pipe line is in good if not great shape. The Nash deal would have decimated it. So, this is a timely discussion, and a happy one. Howson may have just made the biggest mistake by an opposing GM in our favor since Bob Gainey.

I know everyone is aware that Hagelin is a 6th rounder. That being said, chances are good we have another surprise or two waiting for us in the cupboard.

The Rangers are quickly proving that anyone trying to rate their prospect system will likely be wrong to the negative side in their assessments. Prejudices and bias that were on display during the run up to the dead line will only under score this and make it more entertaining.

And we should not forget about the reclamation pipe line. Stralman is the star in that regard this year. He is just the latest example of how good the Rangers have become at this.

The Rangers are now one of the better Organizations at developing prospects, finding diamonds in the rough, and just simply pulling rabbits out of a hat. It's true and the record strongly reflects it. These guys are really hitting their stride and are on a major role.

The day is fast approaching, imo, when a deal for a player like Nash or the signing of a Parise is irrelevant and contrary to the Rangers interest. Except only in extraordinary circumstances. Players and prospects will be banging on the door to be Rangers. Never a bad thing.

Again and again I will make this point. The Rangers success comes from and will continue to come from the fact that they are building from within.
it helps when you have a coach who is able to get the most out of his players.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

It's all part of the plan my man..

Old
03-01-2012, 11:35 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I didn't want to start it's own thread, and not exactly sure where I should put it, so I decided to put it here!

An article on the main page is about the top college hockey non-drafted free agents and the NHL teams that may be interested. The article states that the Rangers have bene watching Jeremy Welsh from Union College. Pretty big guy at 6'3" 210lbs. Has 22 goals and 35 points as a junior in the ECAC. He plays center and LW and has a 60% faceoff winning percentage. Here is the description from the article:

"Welsh is a player that has the ability to dominant a game. He has size (6'3, 210 lbs); a pro-style shot, great net presence, and can finish plays exceedingly well. And it is those attributes that have gotten the attention of NHL teams. What makes Welsh so dangerous is his ability to capitalize on rebounds and deflections, where many of his goals have been scored. He utilizes his size, strength and reach to great advantage, particularly in tight areas."

Anyone have any info on this kid?

Here is the article: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._nhl_interest/
I'm confused on this article; does this mean all prospects listed in article are FA to be, or are they subject to the draft this June. Obviously if not selected the seniors can be FA, but what of the underclassmen

Old
03-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
I'm confused on this article; does this mean all prospects listed in article are FA to be, or are they subject to the draft this June. Obviously if not selected the seniors can be FA, but what of the underclassmen
None of them are draft eligible. They'll be free to sign with any club they want.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:45 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
None of them are draft eligible. They'll be free to sign with any club they want.
OK I'll bite, Why

Old
03-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Welch is a solid player. Needs to work on his skating.

He is too old to be draft eligible. 22.

03-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Amen! It's all about the coach and the system that is firmly entrenched with the players all buying in. The organization as a whole has done a remarkable job drafting, developing and bringing players along at their own pace.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
OK I'll bite, Why
They'll all be over the age of 20 by Dec 31st of this year. Makes them ineligible for the draft.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Sign him up.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
I agree Erixon has the chance to be a very good all around Dman. But he will never skate like Kris Letang. Letang is one of the best skaters in the league.
The Letang comparison doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Erixon's big offensive weapon is his ability to get his shot on net. Didn't Letang have a lot of problems with his shot, at least early in his career?

Old
03-01-2012, 03:05 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

There's a lot of good talent out there in the NCAA that go undrafted. I wrote a piece for Howlings.net a few months back on that subject...

http://howlings.net/2011/11/30/fan-f...the-undrafted/

Highlights the UMD Bulldogs, Corey Conacher, Scooter Vaughan (who has fallen off recently), Andy Miele and a brief look at others.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
If the NYR took free agent NCAA scouting seriously we never would have signed Tommy Grant, Lee Baldwin and would not have given Matt Gilroy a 1.75 contract. I've never been convinced that they actually have guys watching the teams play on a game to game basis.

We also would have signed Kinkaid instead of the bum Missiaen.

Old
03-01-2012, 04:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
And we would have signed Matt Read rather than Tommy Grant. We had both in camp last year. Obviously signed the wrong one.

Old
03-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Leetch66

I think the Leafs signed a bunch of those guys a couple of years ago and how have they turned out...not that great !

Old
03-01-2012, 05:22 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Yeah, our NCAA free-agents haven't really impressed much.

We do find gems in the draft, though.

Old
03-01-2012, 05:23 PM
E Nixson