HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bread and Circuses?

Old
03-01-2012, 07:08 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

vCash: 500
Bread and Circuses?

The season's in the crapper but the Habs have full houses and prime time RDS to play to for another month. Are the Baby Boom Boom acquisition and Staubitz and White shenanigans the org's way of trying to entertain fans during difficult times?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
The season's in the crapper but the Habs have full houses and prime time RDS to play to for another month. Are the Baby Boom Boom acquisition and Staubitz and White shenanigans the org's way of trying to entertain fans during difficult times?
Is it not the main goal of watching hockey ? Entertainment ? Too many times they showed us boring games... I don't watch curling because I find it boring. When I watch hockey, I don't just want a win...

Finally the games are interesting again

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:06 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

yes it is, fans need to be entertained someway if point is not really to win

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Looks like it, can't really blame them though because at this point they are clearly in tank mode.

Expect Markov to be back soon.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:27 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Is it not the main goal of watching hockey ? Entertainment ? Too many times they showed us boring games... I don't watch curling because I find it boring. When I watch hockey, I don't just want a win...

Finally the games are interesting again
The Minny game was a blast to watch. Guys were much more creative and intensity was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Looks like it, can't really blame them though because at this point they are clearly in tank mode.

Yup. That's sports entertainment, and agree Markov might be the next act on stage. But is it so bad if he plays for 10 games or so? At least media have a new subject, and fans can get some idea of whether and how he might contribute next season.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Habs

Quote:
No way on earth PG has this much insight, someone above him told him to get some toughness at the deadline.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:35 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Oh look, a message from October 2011.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Players have their own pride and play their game in order to win. Emelin wasn't trying to kill Cole, he was trying to check a Wild player and missed. White was standing up for Price.

Funny results, yes, but it's all in the name of winning.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:39 AM
ClasslessGuy

anybody know what will RDS show in playoff? will they follow a team in particular like pittsburgh?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
anybody know what will RDS show in playoff?
the Montreal Impact MLS debut

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Perhaps a little bit. Or is it a realization that trying to build the old Senators' way simply isn't working?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:55 AM
llamateizer

I really like the entertaining fact.

For me its a win or entertain.
Getting both is awesome
but one of them, I dont bother anymore

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
anybody know what will RDS show in playoff? will they follow a team in particular like pittsburgh?
Probably Ottawa

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:18 AM
LyleOdelein

I highly doubt that the Habs' are deciding to go the Slapshot route in entertaining fans. It seems more likely that recent incidents against Minny and Tampa resulted from a combination of factors:

- Cunneyworth preaching intensity and physicality from his players.
- PG said he wanted the team to get bigger and in picking up Staubitz sent the message that he wants the team to play bigger as well.
- The frustration of Habs players as a whole in the midst of such a brutal stretch of play. Guys like Plekanec, Desharnais and even Weber have been noticeably chippy over the last few games.
- With a little more toughness insereted into the line-up, Subban and Emelin have had a bit more freedom to run around looking for big hits. Both players tend to get under opposing players' skin and drive up the temperature of games when they're playing this way.
- White has been restricted to the sidelines recovering from his surgery and is looking to make an impact and re-establish his importance to the team. A guy like White will always be straddling the line in his play. If he's a little too eager, he's bound to get overaggressive go a little far sometimes.

It seems to be less a marketing ploy and more of a culmination of those factors to me.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:40 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

That was actually my first thought when we claimed Staubitz. We have absolutely zero need for him, so I think they just have him here as something for us to watch.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
I highly doubt that the Habs' are deciding to go the Slapshot route in entertaining fans. It seems more likely that recent incidents against Minny and Tampa resulted from a combination of factors:

- Cunneyworth preaching intensity and physicality from his players.
- PG said he wanted the team to get bigger and in picking up Staubitz sent the message that he wants the team to play bigger as well.
- The frustration of Habs players as a whole in the midst of such a brutal stretch of play. Guys like Plekanec, Desharnais and even Weber have been noticeably chippy over the last few games.
- With a little more toughness insereted into the line-up, Subban and Emelin have had a bit more freedom to run around looking for big hits. Both players tend to get under opposing players' skin and drive up the temperature of games when they're playing this way.
- White has been restricted to the sidelines recovering from his surgery and is looking to make an impact and re-establish his importance to the team. A guy like White will always be straddling the line in his play. If he's a little too eager, he's bound to get overaggressive go a little far sometimes.

It seems to be less a marketing ploy and more of a culmination of those factors to me.
I agree with what you said. I'll add that White has to play that way or he doesn't belong. Greg Stewart came in a few years ago, hit and fought. The next season, he stop doing both and now he plays for the South Carolina Stingrays in the ECHL. Never forget to do the things that brought you to the NHL or you will lose your job.

They had also lost 5 games in a row, so some of those players surely weren't happy. It's always back to basic in those times, and you do what you do best. White pushes and shoves, Emelin hits, Subban throws a few also. This wasn't the Bruins, we are still pretty far from that. The Habs are a team that hits. They usually don't demolish anyone except for Emelin and at times Subban, but the other players do hit also.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote