HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Stone.. or Toffoli?

Old
03-02-2012, 08:25 AM
sveiglar

vCash: 500
Stone.. or Toffoli?

First, please forgive me because this question is kind of fantasy-ish, but I want to ask it here because this board would have the most informed opinions (one Sens prospect, one 67s star).

Watching Toffoli this year with the 67s, he seems to be rounding out his game without sacrificing offense. I can't say I've seen any of Stone outside of the WJC, but everybody knows what he showed there; finding holes and getting shots off in a heartbeat.

I know all Sens fans are stoked about Stone and rightly so, but today if you had the ability to have Toffoli instead of him, who would you take?

sveiglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Cody Ceci.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:30 AM
H2O

Honestly, I don't see an NHL future for Toffoli. He can be lazy at times and lacks explosiveness with his feet to do what he can do now in the NHL. He is very smart offensively and one hell of a finisher, but I'm not sure if that's enough. I think Toffoli will be a poor man's Michael Ryder whereas Stone will be as good as Michael Ryder and maybe even better.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Lyndon Slewidge

Stone, Tofolli wasn't even on the juniors team

Lyndon Slewidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Bazel5

I'm not sure if you follow Corey Pronman (pretty good prospect analyst) but I asked him over twitter which of the two needs more skating improvement for the NHL (both have exhibited skating weaknesses) and Toffoli was his answer.

Bazel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:31 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Cody Ceci.
I see you're ceci, and raise you a monahan.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
This.

Toffoli is still a pretty lazy guy, and his speed is not NHL calibre.

From what I saw at the juniors, Stones speed isn't horrible but it isn't great either.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
widesol

From the 67's game i've been to, I've been very Impressed with Prince seems to be a threat everytime he's on the ice

widesol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Nizzy

Prince was the steal of that draft hands down ..He pretty much has the same stats as Logan couture when he was a 67

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Larionov

Nothing is more common that a junior hockey scoring sensation - translating that to the NHL is more difficult. Hockeydb.com is littered with the names of guys who put up ridiculous numbers in major junior, and washed out in the NHL. I don't want to needlessly pick Toffoli's game apart, but I share the concerns that his speed and grit might not be NHL calibre as yet. For these same reasons, I am a little cautious about Prince and Stone - it's great that the Sens have them in the pipeline, but let's not pencil them in on the first line in 2014 quite yet...

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:51 AM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
Prince was the steal of that draft hands down ..He pretty much has the same stats as Logan couture when he was a 67
Shane Prince best 2 seasons (last 2) kept a 1.5 and 1.6 pt ratio per game

Logan Couture's best 2 seasons (2nd and 4th) kept a 1.4 & 1.44 pt ratio per game

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:09 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Reraise you a Prince

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Bob Kudelski

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Shane Prince best 2 seasons (last 2) kept a 1.5 and 1.6 pt ratio per game

Logan Couture's best 2 seasons (2nd and 4th) kept a 1.4 & 1.44 pt ratio per game
But do you think Prince will ever compare to Couture at the NHL level?

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:20 PM
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kudelski View Post
The potential is there imo. He's so dominant right now for the 67s. If he gets stronger for the pro, he's going to be special for us.

Old
03-02-2012, 12:23 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Reraise you a Prince
Monahan's almost as good and he's only 16.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:38 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Everyone who watched Logan Couture in junior knew he would be a better pro then junior player. His smarts were on another level then anyone else on his team or his line. His linemates didn't have the hockey IQ or hockey sense to finish off most of the plays he created. It was obvious that once he started playing with other guys who were on the same level as him that he would be an incredible player.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Nizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kudelski View Post
Yes he makes everyone around him better he has the skill without a question ..

When the 67's hit 190 goals this year Shane Prince was in on 40 percent of them either goal or helper ..

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Larionov

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Everyone who watched Logan Couture in junior knew he would be a better pro then junior player. His smarts were on another level then anyone else on his team or his line. His linemates didn't have the hockey IQ or hockey sense to finish off most of the plays he created. It was obvious that once he started playing with other guys who were on the same level as him that he would be an incredible player.
This is an excellent point, and of course it is difficult to measure this while watching a junior game. Is a guy scoring because of his teammates, or in spite of them? Is he simply feasting on poor competition, or can he be productive against the top teams? It's always worth watching a player when he plays against the better teams, as some guys put up most of their numbers in blowouts against sub-standard teams. You can't just watch a guy a couple of times, look at his stat line, and predict if he will be a good pro or not. It's much more complicated than that...

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
If Monohand can continue to put up very good numbers next year without Prince and Toffoli, he has a chance at 1st overall imo.

He's already a top 3 prospect at this point.

As for Toffoli, if he an improve his skating and compete just a little bit, he has 40 goal potential.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:31 PM
H2O

I'm concerned with Monahan's finishing ability. He's been struggling in that department lately. He does so many little things right though, things that are hard to teach, and he is a beast on the faceoff. He reminds me of Eric Staal, he'll be up there with Jones, Mackinnon, and Barkov.

Old
03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
FightingIrish
Total Lak of Respek

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Slewidge View Post
Stone, Tofolli wasn't even on the juniors team

FightingIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

I would never like to see Stone as the last man high in the O-zone. I also don't ever expect that I'll see him skate back hard from the opposing zone and be the first man back to break up a 2 on 1 in front of his net. If a breakaway race started at the opposing goal line I would know that almost any opposing player would be taking a shot on our net before Stone had made it back to his own blue line. All that said his down low game, puck sense and scoring touch are phenomenal. I'd take Stone. A bird in the hand is worth ......

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Twist and Shout

Won't speak for Stone, but I will say that I think Toffoli makes a lot of people eat crow in the next couple of years. You can't categorize every elite junior scorer before they even attempt to make the next step.

I see him scoring 35 in the NHL sooner rather than later.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:22 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Toffoli has the better shooting skills of the two. Skating isn't good but he's worked on the defensive side of his game and he can find open space for his rocket one timers. I look at him and think "if Ryder can do it, this kid certainly can as well".

Stone's got the better vision and playmaking skills but he goes hard to the net which will help him score goals as much as his great hands and quick release.

Both guys have a chance to be offensive contributers but they're ceiling depends on how much they can improve on their skating. If I had to pick one, It'd be Stone but its real close.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:01 PM
DoctorDoak

Seems to me Toffoli takes more flak than he deserves. Skating won't be his strength by any means, but there are plenty of ugly skaters (Andrew Brunette, anyone?) who've made their living in the NHL, and most juniors need some time to fill out their frames anyway. Is there any reason to think he's incapable of improving his strength, and maybe improving his skating at least a bit? Stone himself is a good example of the possibility of improving skating, although I agree it seems to be a major stumbling block for a lot of players, and is more important than ever with the way the game's played today.

Not to say that he won't take some seasoning in the AHL, and could well not make it, but it seems like anytime a Canadian junior scorer like Toffoli gets passed over the WJC team, it's assumed he's going to be the next Angelo Esposito. Hockey Canada's good at picking players who'll make the bigs, but they aren't savants either.

DoctorDoak is offline   Reply With Quote