HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs playing in World Championships

Old
03-02-2012, 11:02 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

vCash: 500
Habs playing in World Championships

Just wondering, we haven't been use to this but with us not making the playoffs, I was thinking who are some of the guys you guys think that will/should go play after the season.

I think two guys that are MUST to go are Markov and Price.

I think Markov will play 5-10 games this season, and I think he should go play so we can get a longer look at him, he get mentally stronger for next year, and incase (knock on wood), he gets hurt, at least we have time to adjust and and plan for next year.

I have a feeling this might go terrible wrong for Markov, in the sense the media will be all over him, question his heart and passion for the Habs, which I don't think any of us would doubt.

Another must is Price, I think Price needs to go and play for Team Canada to show them what he can do on a international level to set himself up for a possible starting role for Team Canada in the Olympics.

Other notables are, Plek, he always love to play, so I think he is a lock to go play for the Czech.

Aslo Weber and Daiz I'm guessin for the Swiss.

Edit: Sorry if it seems like a pointless thread, but just wanted to talk about mainly the important of Markov getting games in, and also Price needing to play to be a lock for Team Canada in the Olympics.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:08 AM
llamateizer

CANADA Price, Subban
USA Cole Pacioretty
World Plekanec, Kaberle, Diaz, Emelin, Weber, Eller.

I think top 4 might refuse invitation

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:10 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Desharnais!!

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:13 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Oh man, thanks for those names, I don't know why I didn't think of those guys, ex Cole, Patches, Emelin, Eller.

But what you guys think of the idea of Markov playing in the Worlds, and Price needing to play to secure his spot of the Olympic team?

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Valois

Price, Subban, and DD would be great to see representing this country. Not sure what DD's chances would be, but I feel like he could have a good impact.

Also it would just be nice to see people who follow other teams having to cheer on Subban for a change.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Desharnais!!
Why not? He's playing great!

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Prairie Habs

Canada: Price, Subban, possibly Gorges if there are some declines and they need a shutdown vet.
Usa: Cole, Patches
Switzerland: Weber, Diaz
Slovakia: Budaj
Denmark: Eller
Russia: Emelin maybe (they tend to go with KHL guys unless they are a star), Markov's insurance will probably be more than they want to pay
Czech Republic: Plek, maaaaybe Kaberle if they are stretched

We have players from tons of countries so chances are we will see more guys than the all North American teams.

Edit: Maybe DD as well. Who is ahead of him at C? Staal, Getzlaf, Stamkos, Vinny, RNH and maybe one or two I forget. With guys declining or rehabbing injuries he may have a chance as well

Prairie Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Oh man, thanks for those names, I don't know why I didn't think of those guys, ex Cole, Patches, Emelin, Eller.

But what you guys think of the idea of Markov playing in the Worlds, and Price needing to play to secure his spot of the Olympic team?
Price is a lock for 2014, IMO, and doesn't need to tire himself out further this spring during the WC. He'll have played 70+ games for the Habs this year. Price loves his off-season detox.

Markov should go play in the WC. He needs as much rehab and game situation playing time as possible in order to be 100% for 2012-2013. This will not be a situation like the previous Olympics, as its not in the middle of the Habs season, and everyone with any sense knows that it is for rehab purposes only.

2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:24 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Canada: Price, Subban, possibly Gorges if there are some declines and they need a shutdown vet.
Usa: Cole, Patches
Switzerland: Weber, Diaz
Slovakia: Budaj
Russia: Emelin maybe (they tend to go with KHL guys unless they are a star), Markov's insurance will probably be more than they want to pay
Czech Republic: Plek, maaaaybe Kaberle if they are stretched

We have players from tons of countries so chances are we will see more guys than the all North American teams.

Edit: Maybe DD as well. Who is ahead of him at C? Staal, Getzlaf, Stamkos, Vinny, RNH and maybe one or two I forget. With guys declining or rehabbing injuries he may have a chance as well
Gorges has a good shot. They defense last year was pretty mediocre. Scalzo, Methot, and Gragnani.

The centres last year were Vermette, Spezza, Zajac, and Tavares.

Kaberle is also pretty much a lock to get invited - but he turned down his last invitation in 2010 (although he did play in the Olympics that year).

Old
03-02-2012, 11:26 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Yakupov??

I kid, I kid...

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
Price is a lock for 2014, IMO, and doesn't need to tire himself out further this spring during the WC. He'll have played 70+ games for the Habs this year. Price loves his off-season detox.

Markov should go play in the WC. He needs as much rehab and game situation playing time as possible in order to be 100% for 2012-2013. This will not be a situation like the previous Olympics, as its not in the middle of the Habs season, and everyone with any sense knows that it is for rehab purposes only.
Price, a lock for 2014? He has to prove himself in international tournaments at the senior level to actually become anything remotely resembling a lock for the Olympic team. Seeing that Hockey Canada uses the WC to train players for the Olympics, he should do one of 2012 or 2013.

Canada: Price, Subban, Desharnais/Gorges being standby players
USA: Cole, Pacioretty
Russia: Emelin/Markov (both standby players)
Switzerland: Weber, Diaz (unless there were 5+ Swiss D-men ahead of them to accept)
Slovakia: Budaj (without Halak, Slovakia has to rely on Budaj as their #1 goalie)
Czech Republic: Plekanec, Kaberle as a standby player

Last edited by Mathradio: 03-02-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Middaughsome

Markov going would be a mistake, the guy just needs to get healthy. How bad would it look if he went to the WC and got injured?

Price might not want to go since he's played so much this year. I would have to think he has a pretty good shot at 2014 if NHLers play. Who would be ahead of him right now, Luongo and Fleury? Maybe Ward, but there's not a lot of great Canadian goalies right now.

Middaughsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:34 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Ya I hope Markov plays, he needs the games to back to his elite level, if he can. If he's going to get hurt, I don't care where it is. It's more of getting his injury out of the way at this point.

I'm not sure if Price will go, he plays enough games in the regular season. We will see though.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Markov, meanwhile, is not thinking a day beyond his next practice. He’s given zero consideration, he said, to any call that might come from his native Russia for the IIHF World Championship in Helsinki and Stockholm in May.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...143/story.html

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Ya I hope Markov plays, he needs the games to back to his elite level, if he can. If he's going to get hurt, I don't care where it is. It's more of getting his injury out of the way at this point.

I'm not sure if Price will go, he plays enough games in the regular season. We will see though.
How many goalies playing 70+ games a season (I might include KHL goalies on Gagarin Cup finalists) a year actually accepted invitations to the Worlds?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:36 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middaughsome View Post
Markov going would be a mistake, the guy just needs to get healthy. How bad would it look if he went to the WC and got injured?

Price might not want to go since he's played so much this year. I would have to think he has a pretty good shot at 2014 if NHLers play. Who would be ahead of him right now, Luongo and Fleury? Maybe Ward, but there's not a lot of great Canadian goalies right now.
Maybe Elliot if he keeps it up.

Old
03-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Miller Time

Canada- Price*, Subban*, Gorges*, Desharnais

USA- Patches*, Cole (wouldn't be surprised for him to say no thanks...)

Czech- Plekanec*

Russia- Emelin*, Markov (only if team gives him green light, which I doubt they'd do... makes no sense at this point).

Slovakia- Budaj

Denmark- Eller*

Switzerland- Diaz*, Weber*

*the guys I think will be locks to get invites.

I really hope all of our young guys take the invite, especially Price/Subban who would be anchors for Canadian team.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:18 PM
MTL-rules

Yep, we'll see Plekanec dominates like every year with proper linemates and shut (momentarely) all his idiotic bashers up.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Yep, we'll see Plekanec dominates like every year with proper linemates and shut (momentarely) all his idiotic bashers up.
it was SO obvious that signing Jagr to play next to pleks this season would have been an easy positive addition to our roster...

too bad Gauthier is smarter than everyone else

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I really wish he'd take the a year off, if anyone needs some time off it's him. Though his constant work ethic is probably one reason he rarely gets injured.

If anything the Plekanec haters will just respond by saying he's another European mercenary who is stealing money from the Habs and only cares about international play.

Also I really wouldn't mind if Markov plays, but I doubt he would make the team considering how much of an unknown he is at this point.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
llamateizer

Quote:
Desharnais!!
He is going to get the american nationality

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I don't think Denmark made it.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:24 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Desharnais!!
For sure. That way everyone can see that the reason for his success is not solely based on Pacioretty and Cole.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
That can't be true, people here have said the only reason he hasn't played is to rest up for the World Championships.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
it was SO obvious that signing Jagr to play next to pleks this season would have been an easy positive addition to our roster...

too bad Gauthier is smarter than everyone else
I heard PG tried pretty hard to get Jagr but he went where he thought he had the best chance for a Cup.

Price has to go if Canada asks and I think he would, same for Subban. If you want in on the Olympics you have to go to these tourneys when Canada asks, they play politics that way. I doubt they would ask Desharnais although they should as he would be good on European ice.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote