HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part III (post #217 - arena announcement 2/16)

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2012, 09:16 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
To everyone bringing up the Chinooks as a potential nickname.... you know that all that originated from a Native American tribe in the Pacific Northwest, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_people

Given how P/C we've gotten as a society, somehow doubt that we'll see another ethnically-named professional sports team created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
Here's a quick/bad Photoshop version based on the lines of the current Coyotes jersey.

Not bad when I look at it like that.... though maybe having the shoulders in white might make it look a bit better.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:18 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
There aren't any Chinooks in Seattle, it's a weather phenomena located on a leeward side of the mountains. Being a coastal city, Seattle is on the windward side. Maybe Calgary or Denver.
Chinook is a kind of fish

Old
03-01-2012, 09:21 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Like steelhead/sockeye if we are thinking fish

Old
03-01-2012, 09:21 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
To everyone bringing up the Chinooks as a potential nickname.... you know that all that originated from a Native American tribe in the Pacific Northwest, right?

Given how P/C we've gotten as a society, somehow doubt that we'll see another ethnically-named professional sports team created.
I think most people associate chinook as an alternate name of king salmon. Since the logo would presumably be of a fish, I think the name would be fine.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:22 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I think most people associate chinook as an alternate name of king salmon. Since the logo would presumably be of a fish, I think the name would be fine.
Do they? First thing I think of is the Chinook tribe, and was mildly surprised at everyone mentioning everything else associated with the word besides them here.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Rocko604

Quote:

Not bad when I look at it like that.... though maybe having the shoulders in white might make it look a bit better.
I even think Totems will be a long shot.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:51 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
I even think Totems will be a long shot.
At least Totems (and Thunderbirds) have a history of hockey under that name in the area, not to mention are a reasonably recognizable symbol for the Pacific Northwest.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:05 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Like steelhead/sockeye if we are thinking fish
Steelheads is already used----Idaho (ECHL)

Old
03-01-2012, 10:09 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
If we're eliminating names that are already used by high school, college and minor league teams there would be no names left.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:38 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Chinook is a kind of fish
Chinook is the native name for the King Salmon. Very PNW.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
I wouldn't name them after a tropical fish that doesn't live in Puget Sound. Steelhead, Sockeye, Killer Whales, and the world's largest octopus live in Puget Sound
The pelagic Stingray, which is the one I posted pictures of is an open water stingray found throughout most of the worlds oceans, including the pacific off the coast of Washington.

That said, its open water. Not native to any sound, puget or otherwise. Shouldn't matter, though. The sharks of san jose aren't in city limits they are far off the coast in open water. Much like the orcas of Vancouver.

03-01-2012, 11:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
I wouldn't name them after a tropical fish that doesn't live in Puget Sound. Steelhead, Sockeye, Killer Whales, and the world's largest octopus live in Puget Sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Then they can buy the whole league and flush it down the toilet for the same cost of a nice business dinner.

Same goes for whatever yahoo owns the name totems.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Do they? First thing I think of is the Chinook tribe, and was mildly surprised at everyone mentioning everything else associated with the word besides them here.
I think of the fish, wind, and language. There weren't really a Chinook people. It was more of a language family used by tribes of other names. Hence no Chinook reservation.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
The sharks of san jose aren't in city limits they are far off the coast in open water. Much like the orcas of Vancouver.
There are orcas in Vancouver at times.

There are sharks in Seattle's Elliot Bay! NHL should adopt the CFL model. Seattle Sharks. Can't wait for the Sharks vs. Sharks rivalry!

Old
03-01-2012, 11:59 PM
maruk14

Quote:
If there truly is an insurmountable obstacle with the copyright on Seattle Totems, what about Seattle Stingrays as a team name.
I doubt getting the Totems name if a Seattle NHL team wanted it would be an issue. There is currently a junior B team using the old logo and colors.

I also really like the old red, white and blue Totem jerseys as well.

Old
03-02-2012, 01:20 AM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
I doubt getting the Totems name if a Seattle NHL team wanted it would be an issue. There is currently a junior B team using the old logo and colors.

I also really like the old red, white and blue Totem jerseys as well.

The Seattle Totems are a junior A team btw. Not that it matters much because they get like 100 fans a game but they are usually really good.

And I like you're jerseys but I would probably bet my house the team would primarily be green

Old
03-02-2012, 02:37 AM
JetsAlternate

How's this?

You guys were talking about the other design. I certainly like some of the elements of it, including the black pants. I think I'd still prefer a green helmet, and I wanted to keep the waist striping a bit simpler than the arm stripes. It makes this design unique compared to some of the league's cookie-cutter designs.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 03-02-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old
03-02-2012, 11:10 AM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
The Seattle Totems are a junior A team btw. Not that it matters much because they get like 100 fans a game but they are usually really good.

And I like you're jerseys but I would probably bet my house the team would primarily be green
Yeah ... junior b, you are right. I also like the green and black better but was just throwing these out. I like the Totems word mark and number on the front of the jersey and the T totem. Throwbacks

Old
03-02-2012, 11:13 AM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
How's this?

You guys were talking about the other design. I certainly like some of the elements of it, including the black pants. I think I'd still prefer a green helmet, and I wanted to keep the waist striping a bit simpler than the arm stripes. It makes this design unique compared to some of the league's cookie-cutter designs.
Personally, I like the look better with a black helmet.

Old
03-02-2012, 11:27 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
When I hear Chinook I think of the wind not the salmon or the tribe(s).

Either way I doubt it'd be considered racally offensive to use the name if the logo is pertaining to the fish or the wind or an encompasing of Native culture since it is a native word.

Old
03-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
The pelagic Stingray, which is the one I posted pictures of is an open water stingray found throughout most of the worlds oceans, including the pacific off the coast of Washington.

That said, its open water. Not native to any sound, puget or otherwise. Shouldn't matter, though. The sharks of san jose aren't in city limits they are far off the coast in open water. Much like the orcas of Vancouver.
Culturally speaking, though, stingrays aren't anywhere on the list of things that get associated with Seattle.

That's not a requirement for a team name (Pittsburgh doesn't have an abundance of penguins nesting on Mt. Washington), but it helps. Seattle and the Pacific Northwest is such a culturally rich region that I really want to see them do that.

If something like Totems or Thunderbirds doesn't work (I doubt they'd take the junior team name just because it's a junior team name...but I love that name and aesthetic) I'm really hoping they go with something dealing with the Cascadian predators. I'd love to see a team named the Wolves in the NHL...that or a type of bear that actually lives in North America (I can't say how annoying that Bruins monicker is to me...the northeast has quite a number of Black Bears and Art Ross instead dubbed the team after the Eurasian Brown Bear...or, rather yet, a Dutch word for it...that would be like a team from the Dakotas naming themselves the Wisents instead of Bison).

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
When I hear Chinook I think of the wind not the salmon or the tribe(s).

Either way I doubt it'd be considered racally offensive to use the name if the logo is pertaining to the fish or the wind or an encompasing of Native culture since it is a native word.
If you are from the PNW or BC (coastal especially) you think of the fish. I agree, I don't think any issues would come up in using that moniker. I am still partial to Totems, Thunderbirds or maybe the Metroplitans more though.

Old
03-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Awesome Sauce

Quote:
The sharks of san jose aren't in city limits they are far off the coast in open water. Much like the orcas of Vancouver.
Not true.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ard-inlet.html

Old
03-02-2012, 12:39 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Scuttlebut is that Seattle gets a relo team first. QC might get an expansion team because the NHL wants more money out of that region. I expect Seattle to get a team in 2 years, QC in 5 or 6
If Seattle gets a team before Quebec, you can be sure that fans in Quebec are gonna be pissed and all and any arena plans and discussions will be done for good. Winnipeg and Quebec had equal chance and Winnipeg deserved to get it first since they already had what the league had.

But Quebec still being 2nd on the list, even with Winnipeg solved, and Coyotes, Isles, Panthers, Hurricanes and others teams losing big buck, I don't think a new expansion is soon to be seen, and if you don't give the next team to Quebec, you can be sure people won't accept 400$ mil in tax money going into winds just like that.

Old
03-02-2012, 03:06 PM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Culturally speaking, though, stingrays aren't anywhere on the list of things that get associated with Seattle.

That's not a requirement for a team name (Pittsburgh doesn't have an abundance of penguins nesting on Mt. Washington), but it helps. Seattle and the Pacific Northwest is such a culturally rich region that I really want to see them do that.

If something like Totems or Thunderbirds doesn't work (I doubt they'd take the junior team name just because it's a junior team name...but I love that name and aesthetic) I'm really hoping they go with something dealing with the Cascadian predators. I'd love to see a team named the Wolves in the NHL...that or a type of bear that actually lives in North America (I can't say how annoying that Bruins monicker is to me...the northeast has quite a number of Black Bears and Art Ross instead dubbed the team after the Eurasian Brown Bear...or, rather yet, a Dutch word for it...that would be like a team from the Dakotas naming themselves the Wisents instead of Bison).
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/...hl_team_names/

Pittsburgh Penguins

Carol McGregor, the wife of one of the franchise’s part owners at the time, is reportedly the one responsible for the nickname. Author Bob Grove recalled how she came up with the name in his book, 'Pittsburgh Penguins: The Official History of the First 30 Years'. “I was thinking of something with a P. And I said to Jack, ‘What do they call the Civic Arena?’ And he said, ‘The Big Igloo.’ So I thought ice. . . Pittsburgh. . . Penguins.” More than 700 of the 26,000 contest entries were for Penguins and the name of Emily Roberts of Belle Vernon was drawn as the contest winner, making her the first Penguins' season ticket holder.

Boston Bruins

When grocery store tycoon Charles Adams brought a franchise to Boston, he asked his GM Art Ross to come up with a nickname. The team colours the same as his grocery store chain, brown and yellow, while name had to reflect an untamed animal displaying speed, agility, and cunning. Eventually, Ross came up with "Bruins", an Old English word used for brown bears in classic folk-tales.

In short Penguins were the result of a naming contest and Bruins were named since they matched the store chain's colors.

The team will most likely end up being called the Metros and wear green unless some dark horse wins the naming contest if there is one.

Closed Thread