HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price: What's he worth?

Old
03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Failing Hands

vCash: 500
Carey Price: What's he worth?

What would you give him in terms of length of contract and salary/year this offseason?

For me, it's not really an option to not sign Price. We have to sign him, it's a matter of negotiation because this season has really not been stellar and SHOULD lower his value.

5 year $25M contract ($5M/year)?

Failing Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:36 PM
bravehab

Send a message via MSN to bravehab
sounds good and you do need to lock him up
didnt like the 7 mil rumours...thats a big steep

bravehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:38 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failing Hands View Post
What would you give him in terms of length of contract and salary/year this offseason?

For me, it's not really an option to not sign Price. We have to sign him, it's a matter of negotiation because this season has really not been stellar and SHOULD lower his value.

5 year $25M contract ($5M/year)?
He won't sign for that.

they gonna have to give him like 60-65 million over a 10 year contract.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Failing Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
He won't sign for that.

But, that's what's tough about this whole situation. What has he done to warrant a contract like that? Sadly though...other teams will be willing to overpay for him with that kind of money. It's complicated.

Failing Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:42 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

$40M over 8-years.

I wouldn't go a cent over $5.5M. And if he wants $5.5M, I'd only be signing him for 5-6 years.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
He won't sign for that.

I think you meant 893M over 46years.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:47 PM
zx81

Quote:
He won't sign for that.

That would be a huge mistake.
4-6 years max.
Haven't we learned from other GM's mistakes ?
Dipietro ??

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:53 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
$40M over 8-years.

I wouldn't go a cent over $5.5M. And if he wants $5.5M, I'd only be signing him for 5-6 years.
What is this based on? You have an inside source? Or is it just guessing?

Not going over a randomly picked value with no connection to the actual market is irrelevant.

Pay him what he needs to stay. Hes one of a few valuable assets. Plyaing hardball with your core players is way to alienate the whole team and potential free agents.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:56 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
What is this based on? You have an inside source? Or is it just guessing?

Not going over a randomly picked value with no connection to the actual market is irrelevant.

Pay him what he needs to stay. Hes one of a few valuable assets. Plyaing hardball with your core players is way to alienate the whole team and potential free agents.
Huh? It's based on the OP's question.

I would give him $40 million over 8-years, that would be my offer. I wouldn't budge much on that because 1) I don't think he's "elite" yet - I think he's very ****ing good, but not elite. and 2) I think most teams that give that much money to their goalies usually regret it.

Old
03-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Lafleurs Guy

The fact that he's RFA helps but I'll be happy if we get him at 6 million a season. On the active goaltenders list right now he's got the 5th or 6th best career save percentage and he's not even 25 yet. We're going to have to pay for that. If he demanded more, I'd give it to him.

5 years 30 mil... we should be very happy with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Huh? It's based on the OP's question.

I would give him $40 million over 8-years, that would be my offer. I wouldn't budge much on that because 1) I don't think he's "elite" yet - I think he's very ****ing good, but not elite. and 2) I think most teams that give that much money to their goalies usually regret it.
I think teams regret the contract term more than contract dollars. I wouldn't want to sign any player to an 8 year deal if I can help it. That's a long time to be tied to somebody. I'd much prefer 5 years at 30 mil and it's better for Price too.

There's also no way that Price signs an 8 year 40 million dollar contract. He'd be stupid to do this.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:01 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think you meant 893M over 46years.
Ain't impossible...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:01 PM
ReVeuF

For now over 5.5m per season is overpaying, he is not a prime Roy lol !

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Montreal Typical

He's worth about 4.5M.

He's good, but that's about it.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:10 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The fact that he's RFA helps but I'll be happy if we get him at 6 million a season. On the active goaltenders list right now he's got the 5th or 6th best career save percentage and he's not even 25 yet. We're going to have to pay for that. If he demanded more, I'd give it to him.

5 years 30 mil... we should be very happy with that.

I think teams regret the contract term more than contract dollars. I wouldn't want to sign any player to an 8 year deal if I can help it. That's a long time to be tied to somebody. I'd much prefer 5 years at 30 mil and it's better for Price too.

There's also no way that Price signs an 8 year 40 million dollar contract. He'd be stupid to do this.
Yeah he'd be stupid to take $40M.

I don't think goalies will be getting as huge of contracts anymore.

And I obviously wouldn't offer 8-years right way, but that's what I think it would come down too. I'd probably start with 4-years $18M or something and work my way up.

Old
03-02-2012, 02:24 PM
GoodKiwi

He hasn't shown much. Even 5M per would be pushing it imho.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failing Hands View Post

5 year $25M contract ($5M/year)
?
Where do I sign?!

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:36 PM
LeMAD

I would guess $6M for 6 or 7 years.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Pointed Finger

A Decade of Carey Price?

I've been a HFBoards lurker for many years never having felt the need to put in my say since someone would always be of similar mind. But now, no one else seems to think what I'm thinking or is afraid to say it because of a suspicion that they'd be ridiculed or that they would be called a poor fan. I felt compelled to write a post.

I'm a fan of the Canadiens as a team and goalies as a position. I've loved, hated and been ambivalent about many goalies since the 70s. I've loved Tretiak, and Esposito, wondered at the awkward movements of young Dryden, mourned the early loss of Pelle Lindbergh, hoped for Hackett to beat his vertigo to be what he could, laughed in joy at Hasek's flopping saves, marvelled at the brilliance of Roy and Halak in their magical playoff runs... I could go on and on.

But that is just to preface my opinion (which seems to be a lonely one). It's this - I never liked Theodore, and just like Theodore, I don't like Carey Price.

People seem to have a collective unconscious agreement that Price is the Canadiens' goalie now and well into the future. There are threads speculating about how much to pay him and for how long. They talk about the great lateral movement and positioning. They say he is a franchise goalie and franchise goalies are paid top dollar. Statistics are used to validate their claims to his greatness or potential therein. Forgive me but my memory is poor - was Theodore not also assumed to be a great goalie with a great future?
(I do not mean to compare goaltending techniques, only the general consensus of opinion on ability).

What makes me not like Price? I regret I am not supported by the data. The numbers say he is a number one. I only have my gut feeling based on observing his goaltending and perhaps comparing it in my mind to great goalies I have watched in the past. Subconsciously, I was weary of Price, even in his great season last year. Maybe it was the Umberger goals in the Philadelphia series a few years ago that made me turn on him - goals that made my stomach turn and my heart ache for someone else in front of that net. Maybe it was the Boston series before that that had already cemented my opinion.

And again, I am not arguing based on his ability. He obviously has the technique. It's that something you can never put a finger on. And I am certain he doesn't have that "thing". Even if the team was doing well this year, he is not a goalie I want to go to battle for or with.

But now with the team in flux, we want to sign this fellow to a long term deal at superstar wages. It is a mistake. The management of the team made an error in trading Halak instead of riding a tandem to reveal the true identity of the hero in the mask. My wish is that it does not make a second one by rooting us to this particular goalie in an unhealthy financial and performance situation.

My criticism does not come without a recommendation. You may view it as naive. I believe in my heart that we should trade Price while the community at large holds him in high regard.

This is all only my opinion. I may be wrong but no one seems to ever say anything negative about this goalie. I'm wondering why.

Pointed Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:41 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

5 Million a year will do

Isn't he restricted anyways? (not 100% sure about this one)

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Hullois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointed Finger View Post
I've been a HFBoards lurker for many years never having felt the need to put in my say since someone would always be of similar mind. But now, no one else seems to think what I'm thinking or is afraid to say it because of a suspicion that they'd be ridiculed or that they would be called a poor fan. I felt compelled to write a post.

I'm a fan of the Canadiens as a team and goalies as a position. I've loved, hated and been ambivalent about many goalies since the 70s. I've loved Tretiak, and Esposito, wondered at the awkward movements of young Dryden, mourned the early loss of Pelle Lindbergh, hoped for Hackett to beat his vertigo to be what he could, laughed in joy at Hasek's flopping saves, marvelled at the brilliance of Roy and Halak in their magical playoff runs... I could go on and on.

But that is just to preface my opinion (which seems to be a lonely one). It's this - I never liked Theodore, and just like Theodore, I don't like Carey Price.

People seem to have a collective unconscious agreement that Price is the Canadiens' goalie now and well into the future. There are threads speculating about how much to pay him and for how long. They talk about the great lateral movement and positioning. They say he is a franchise goalie and franchise goalies are paid top dollar. Statistics are used to validate their claims to his greatness or potential therein. Forgive me but my memory is poor - was Theodore not also assumed to be a great goalie with a great future?
(I do not mean to compare goaltending techniques, only the general consensus of opinion on ability).

What makes me not like Price? I regret I am not supported by the data. The numbers say he is a number one. I only have my gut feeling based on observing his goaltending and perhaps comparing it in my mind to great goalies I have watched in the past. Subconsciously, I was weary of Price, even in his great season last year. Maybe it was the Umberger goals in the Philadelphia series a few years ago that made me turn on him - goals that made my stomach turn and my heart ache for someone else in front of that net. Maybe it was the Boston series before that that had already cemented my opinion.

And again, I am not arguing based on his ability. He obviously has the technique. It's that something you can never put a finger on. And I am certain he doesn't have that "thing". Even if the team was doing well this year, he is not a goalie I want to go to battle for or with.

But now with the team in flux, we want to sign this fellow to a long term deal at superstar wages. It is a mistake. The management of the team made an error in trading Halak instead of riding a tandem to reveal the true identity of the hero in the mask. My wish is that it does not make a second one by rooting us to this particular goalie in an unhealthy financial and performance situation.

My criticism does not come without a recommendation. You may view it as naive. I believe in my heart that we should trade Price while the community at large holds him in high regard.

This is all only my opinion. I may be wrong but no one seems to ever say anything negative about this goalie. I'm wondering why.
Hey mods, I think that one deserved to keep his own thread, it's quite different from this discussion. And also offers an unique point of view. Im not criticizing, I think y'all are doing an amazing job!

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Lebowski

Théodore didn't come close to Price in terms of talent, and it was rather obvious that his magical run in 02-03 (if not mistaken) was a fluke year. Price has shown great potential and his stats are there to back it up. He may not have been sensational this season, but you have to consider whose playing in front of him. It's a team game, after all.

Just look at Halak and Elliott stats with the Blues, or Thomas and Rask on the Bruins. They can rely on an efficient system that provides low risks shots and they have an hermetic defensive system, something the Habs are lacking this season, even during Jacques Martin's time. It's all about lacking the legit N.1 defenseman the direction expected to see lace them up sooner rather than later, but we all know how it ended up.

The point is, Price is a great goalie. He's going to be considered part of the elite for years to come, as soon as we assemble a decent defensive corps in front of him. He has all what it takes to be a consistent .920 SV% and up year after year, and that type of goalies well deserve 5M/year for a decade.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:49 PM
FrankMTL

I like the fans who say that Carey Price has been dissapointing this season or in his career. I have a question for you, has Ryan Miller had a dissapointing career? They basically have the same stats this year, and for their careers. There's one difference, Miller is 31 and Price is 24..Now i'm not saying that Price has been amazing this year, but give him a little slack, the team and defence sucks pretty bad. Put him on Boston or St. Louis, and your getting different numbers.

I find people are always so hard on the ****ing guy..you'd think he really sucks by the way people talk about him sometimes

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:49 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointed Finger View Post

LOOOL

you said it yourself you turned on him after watching him in the playoffs vs Philly. When he was 21 years old. Do you know how young that is for a goalie.

I'm sorry for you that MTL traded your favor player in Halak, but it was the right choice, Halak is proving that he can't be more than a 1A/B goalie that can't handle being the number 1 guy alone.

Look around the league, and see where all the elite goalie were at 24, Price age, you'll see that Price is miles ahead of them.

Last edited by habs03: 03-02-2012 at 03:09 PM.
habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
LOOOL

you said it yourself you turned on him after watching him in the playoffs vs Philly. When he was 21 years old. Do you know how young that is for a goalie.

I'm sorry for you that MTL traded your favor player in Halak, but it was the right choice, Halak is proving that he can't be more than a 1A/B goalie that can't handle being the number 1 guy alone.

Look around the league, and see where all the elite goalie were at 24, Price age, you'll see that Price is miles ahead of them.
Maybe you should take a look at Halak's current stats...

Also, I think his post deserve a bit more respect than that. He has the right to not be part of the "believers" in Price, and he explained his point in a well written text. If I were him, getting a reply starting with "LoOOLLL" would be borderline considered an insult.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
I stand by my opinion from the start of the season;

$5.25 million per year/5 years.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote