HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2006 top 5 draft picks.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
If Pittsburgh had Crosby, Malkin, Toews as their top 3 centers... OMG
One of Malkin or Toews would want out. Toews too skilled to play 3rd wheel.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:21 PM
RehnX

vCash: 500
I don't know if this is meant to be a "best of" list, but Pens would still take Staal 2nd in a redraft, even in hindsight.

RehnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
One of Malkin or Toews would want out. Toews too skilled to play 3rd wheel.
I would say Malkin would be moved to wing.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Avim86

I've said it once and I'll say it again , with a little hindsight (not too unrealistic) even though said players would make the team better in different ways then players selected thus draft would have been different.

Pittsburg could have had E.Staal rather then Fleury and Toews rather then J.Staal.

E.Staal/Malkin/Crosby/Toews just wow...

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:16 PM
wej20

and who would be their netminder?

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:27 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
and who would be their netminder?
Giroux, you forgot Giroux!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:30 PM
8BostonRocker24

1. St. Louis: Toews
2. Pittsburgh: Giroux
3. Chicago: Backstrom
4. Washington: Staal
5. Boston: Kessel

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Relevant to this discussion. Here's part three (of 4), since it's the most interesting.

The noteworthy moment comes towards the end where Boston offers the 5th + 37th pick to Washington in exchange for the 4th pick. McPhee asks who they want to pick, and Boston responds "the Swede." How different things might have been if Backstrom went to Boston and Kessel to Washington. Fun to imagine.
I actually watched all 4 parts of the video and have a couple comments:

1. I was amazed at how candid the GMs were with each other regarding who they were interested in. I would have expected at least a little bit of dishonesty.

2. lol at Ovy for being uncomfortable about talking in front of a large crowd in a foreign language. LOSER.

Kaner Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery View Post
Agree on this, I remember that Kessel was predicted to go first whole year, but couple of months before the draft he's stocks went down a little. Can't recall why but eventually there was no consencus on how the first 3 or 4 drafts will go.
He only scored one goal at the WJHC (though he picked up ten assists) and had an up-and-down season with the Golden Gophers (spending most of the year on the 3rd line).

Equally important was that his reputation became very negative. WJHC teammate Jack Johnson called him a dirtbag and there were a lot of reports going around that he didn't get along with teammates. He became viewed as a prima donna, and someone who didn't commit 100% to his team.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 03:00 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
Using only top 5:

Toews
Kessel
Backstrom
Staal
Johnson

Complete redo:

Toews
Giroux
Kessel
Backstrom
Lucic
Completely agree with this. Feel backstrom is slightly over-rated. He doesnt have half the compete and intensity that kessel comes out to play with. He seems to rely fully on skill, which he has a ton of. Get a spark lit under this guy and he could be one of the top 5 players in the league.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
I actually watched all 4 parts of the video and have a couple comments:

1. I was amazed at how candid the GMs were with each other regarding who they were interested in. I would have expected at least a little bit of dishonesty.

2. lol at Ovy for being uncomfortable about talking in front of a large crowd in a foreign language. LOSER.
In terms of point #1, I think they know "what goes around comes around." They're being honest with each other knowing that lies will result in them being lied to.

Yet, you still see some trickery on McPhee's part in the video, though it's not straight up lies. When he talks to Boston's assistant GM, he says there are two guys they like when they clearly have their mind set on Backstrom. He even pauses for a moment, then mentions Kessel's name first (as if to imply they like Kessel more). Then there's the obvious faking of a conversation with Ross Mahoney (caps head scout) about Boston's proposal. I assume you'd see similar if in videos focused on other GMs, as well.

Last edited by Mystlyfe: 02-07-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old
02-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Completely agree with this. Feel backstrom is slightly over-rated. He doesnt have half the compete and intensity that kessel comes out to play with. He seems to rely fully on skill, which he has a ton of. Get a spark lit under this guy and he could be one of the top 5 players in the league.
Backstrom has already had a season where he's been one of the top five players in the league. Apparently he doesn't need the "compete and intensity" of Phil Kessel.

I suggest you watch more Backstrom.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
You should watch Backstrom some more, he has just as much compete as Kessel. It seems that some people here think "XXXXXX plays on Washington, which hasn't gone far in playoffs. He must have no desire or heart."

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 03:45 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Off topic, but what a draft for Boston. Kessel, Lucic, and Marchand in one draft.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 03:47 PM
memoriesdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
Off topic, but what a draft for Boston. Kessel, Lucic, and Marchand in one draft.
That's sick

memoriesdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 03:56 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Hindsight threads like these really make my head want to explode. The blues were just starting their rebuild. If Toews plays for the blues during those crap years, does he still become the same player he is today? Do the Bruins get the steal of a draft by getting Johnson (the consensus #1 pick) in the 5 spot? If Johnson doesn't screw up his knee early in his NHL career I think he is a completely different player. I remember being in awe of his first step and acceleration out of the zone in his first season. He was never quite able to get that back IMO. Obviously if he had played for the Bruins he wasn't going to screw up his knee on a blues golf outing. I guess I just can't evaluate things like this in a vacuum because every action has an effect on future events...

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=dan1el;43715425]There may or may not have been a thread about this already, but I don't know.

2-Pittsburgh takes Phil Kessel #2.
Imagine a Crosby-Malkin-Kessel power play. The other team would **** their pants. Plus how good do you think Kessel would be doing if he had one of those to guys on a line with him?

I think the Penguins and Ray Shero would stick with Staal. Don't forget he was a key piece of a team that won a cup. When you look at Staal's numbers you have to remember he gets no PP time and is in a shutdown center role. If they choose anyone over Staal, it would be Toews in my opinion. Kessel isn't a Shero type player, too one dimensional.

66877168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Stillflexin*

Even if a dman is projected to go first overall I don't think I would ever pick a dman first overall...ever. Dmen take longer to develop in the actual NHL while forwards can make an immediate impact and turn around a team.

Stillflexin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
Off topic, but what a draft for Boston. Seguin, Lucic, and Marchand in one draft.

Fixed that for you.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Boston would have loved J Staal at 5.

No segs tho!

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote