HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In arena pride!

Old
03-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Pantherfan12

vCash: 500
In arena pride!

Hey guys, I'm sorry if I should've put this into a different thread but I wanted to bring something up that I noticed watching the Toronto game. As much as I dislike Canadian teams and hope they all lose every game they play, there is one thing I have to credit their fans with and that is when it comes to their Canadian pride. I have noticed that when the person singing the national anthem starts singing, they can pretty much stop singing and you can still hear the anthem being sang by the crowd, as well as GIANT Canadian flags being waved through the crowd.
The reason I bring it up is because it made me think about how it is completely different at our arena. I can't speak for the other US teams around the league,but I know when it comes to singing the US National Anthem and/or waving GIANT US flags during the Anthem,it really doesn't seem like we have as much pride as they do(unless we are playing a canadian team,but the flag(s) is a small one)

Again, I am sorry for starting a new thread, just pointing it out and maybe even trying to start a new trend here in Fla. Maybe we can get giant flags for the anthem and try to show some more pride(not that we aren't proud of our country, but just to get the mojo going ya know)

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Fader

As a Canadian who travels to Florida regularly for games, I feel it would be a great addition to panthers games if more passion was shown. In Canada hockey is a religion, as is football in the southern states. It would make for a better game if there was big flags and louder crowds, but it will doubtfully reach that point because the culture is just not there. (Unfortunate for the ones who do love hockey who cant experience a "real game") IE. Sold out Bell Centre

On a side note, 17 players on the Panthers starting roster are Canadian, so why the hate for Canadian teams, Toronto has more Americans than any other team in the league I think

Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:12 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader View Post
As a Canadian who travels to Florida regularly for games, I feel it would be a great addition to panthers games if more passion was shown. In Canada hockey is a religion, as is football in the southern states. It would make for a better game if there was big flags and louder crowds, but it will doubtfully reach that point because the culture is just not there. (Unfortunate for the ones who do love hockey who cant experience a "real game") IE. Sold out Bell Centre

On a side note, 17 players on the Panthers starting roster are Canadian, so why the hate for Canadian teams, Toronto has more Americans than any other team in the league I think
As you said, Hockey is Canada's passion, so like I didn't expect expo games to be like Yankee stadium I don't have unreasonable patriotic expectations here.

That said, hundreds of diehards had a blast serenading the habs fans as they sheepishly exited last game with god bless America, Et. Al.

On another note, one game recently the mike went out as the anthem singer sang, and the entire crowd sang the star spangled banner. It was awesome.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Knightmare

Also, they have a bit more to be proud of than our country of late.

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:30 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
Also, they have a bit more to be proud of than our country of late.
Don't go there. This isn't that kind of forum.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Panther fans have endured an awful lot. More than a decade's worth of lies, ineptitude, interference, meddling, and just sheer stupidity. Yet, they keep coming back. Team was half a point from the playoffs a few years ago, the arena was pretty full. Team still is a draw, after all of that. Boston, Chicago, etc, etc. didn't have the same loyalty when they went down for only a few years. The team is finally on it's way back up, and people are starting to fill in those seats, much like they did just a couple years ago.

I think this thread is a bit ridiculous, imo. While it can/is a bit too quiet for my liking, they still get loud, and as AG said, we meet towards the entrance for quite the sendoff. My friend, who went with me last game, was raised in Boston and still is a Boston fan. He's been to all the major arenas and experienced the highs and lows. He was there as we did our send-off, and he said he's never seen anything like it. Literally said he wouldn't be here for a possible Cup clinching game, said it would be absolutely nuts. Give it time, we'll be pretty damn loud.

So far as our dislike for most Canadians, it's not a dislike for them, but a dislike for how the majority act in our arena. Also goes for Buffalo, New York, and several other fan bases in our home. Come in, be cool and not obnoxious, we won't have any problem with ya.

03-02-2012, 12:52 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
Making the playoffs is the best step to a change of culture. Also if a small group of Panther fans make a large noise at home games repeatedly the players will appreaciate it. My fingers are crossed for you guys

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:22 AM
CatWoman34
Fool on the Hill

It's funny - I've always thought similar things about times when I've been in American arenas or watched American anthems on TV.

---

I've witnessed a lot of Leafs games in person, and the giant flag is a recent addition. I'd say it has more to do with engaging the fans and attempting to create more atmosphere than any sort of national pride. The ACC can be a real deadzone. It's a lot of suits, and not a real rowdy crowd. You see a different side of the city when you come to the ACC to watch Raptors games and Toronto Rock lacrosse games. The big flag is one of a few little details the game crew have added to try and add to the "experience" of a Leafs game.

Yeah we sing along with the anthem and always belt it out - but Amercians do the same for their anthems anytime when I've been to a game in Buffalo or how they belted it out when I was at Fenway Park a few summers ago.

Personally, I think the whole "anthems before pro sports" is now an overdone tradition. I love Canada, I am a very proud Canadian, and I love my anthem, but I do get tired of having to hear it over and over again while I'm working at the ACC.

There's much more meaning to me when I hear it at the Olympics, or at the World Juniors, etc.

And especially since the NHL is such a global league, it's not like the anthem to me represents my team in any fashion (I do root for a US team afterall)...

That's my two cents.

CatWoman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
As much as I dislike Canadian teams and hope they all lose every game they play
May I be so bold as to ask why you feel this way?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
May I be so bold as to ask why you feel this way?
Right there in my post, they all come in our home and act like they own the place. The overwhelming majority are incredibly rude. That's it for me, and really, I'm a Panther fan, I don't care how any of the other teams do.

So far as the Jets, I'm glad they have their team back, but I don't like that Atlanta lost theirs. Don't like any fan losing their team. They seem like good people, though, I really haven't experienced them.

That the Panthers are so disliked is a constant joke to me. We didn't take anyone's team, we got our own. We love the game, it's grown leaps and bounds since we've had the NHL in the state, and it's just stupid overall. This is the 20th/21st century. We can make ice in warm climates, the dislike is childish and ignorant.

Last edited by Laus723: 03-02-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Panther fans have endured an awful lot. More than a decade's worth of lies, ineptitude, interference, meddling, and just sheer stupidity. Yet, they keep coming back. Team was half a point from the playoffs a few years ago, the arena was pretty full. Team still is a draw, after all of that. Boston, Chicago, etc, etc. didn't have the same loyalty when they went down for only a few years. The team is finally on it's way back up, and people are starting to fill in those seats, much like they did just a couple years ago.

I think this thread is a bit ridiculous, imo. While it can/is a bit too quiet for my liking, they still get loud, and as AG said, we meet towards the entrance for quite the sendoff. My friend, who went with me last game, was raised in Boston and still is a Boston fan. He's been to all the major arenas and experienced the highs and lows. He was there as we did our send-off, and he said he's never seen anything like it. Literally said he wouldn't be here for a possible Cup clinching game, said it would be absolutely nuts. Give it time, we'll be pretty damn loud.

So far as our dislike for most Canadians, it's not a dislike for them, but a dislike for how the majority act in our arena. Also goes for Buffalo, New York, and several other fan bases in our home. Come in, be cool and not obnoxious, we won't have any problem with ya.
wait, wait, wait!!! I don't want people to get confused by what I was writing. What I was writing about was about our National Anthem and National pride, nothing about team pride.. I have no issues with the crowds at the BAC unless it's NY,Philly, or Canadian teams fans. I love our crowds and I am proud of the diehards who have stuck with this team during all of those bad years and mismanagement. I was merely saying that it seems as though Canadians have more pride when it came time to singing their National Anthem, with the giant Canadian flags and such, Than we do. (again, not assuming we have no pride and this isn't a cheap shot at the USA, or our teams' fans) Just pointing out what I noticed on television while watching the Panthers vs. TO game. I was wondering if people felt the same way and if so then I was wondering if we could try to change that, at least in our arena.

Old
03-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
wait, wait, wait!!! I don't want people to get confused by what I was writing. What I was writing about was about our National Anthem and National pride, nothing about team pride.. I have no issues with the crowds at the BAC unless it's NY,Philly, or Canadian teams fans. I love our crowds and I am proud of the diehards who have stuck with this team during all of those bad years and mismanagement. I was merely saying that it seems as though Canadians have more pride when it came time to singing their National Anthem, with the giant Canadian flags and such, Than we do. (again, not assuming we have no pride and this isn't a cheap shot at the USA, or our teams' fans) Just pointing out what I noticed on television while watching the Panthers vs. TO game. I was wondering if people felt the same way and if so then I was wondering if we could try to change that, at least in our arena.
Someone said above that a mike went out and the fans finished singing, I don't think it's that far off. And, I want clear on what your op was about, but the post quoted was answer to the question asked.

Old
03-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Someone said above that a mike went out and the fans finished singing, I don't think it's that far off. And, I want clear on what your op was about, but the post quoted was answer to the question asked.
I'm sorry but you totally lost me.

Old
03-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Right there in my post, they all come in our home and act like they own the place. The overwhelming majority are incredibly rude. That's it for me, and really, I'm a Panther fan, I don't care how any of the other teams do.

So far as the Jets, I'm glad they have their team back, but I don't like that Atlanta lost theirs. Don't like any fan losing their team. They seem like good people, though, I really haven't experienced them.

That the Panthers are so disliked is a constant joke to me. We didn't take anyone's team, we got our own. We love the game, it's grown leaps and bounds since we've had the NHL in the state, and it's just stupid overall. This is the 20th/21st century. We can make ice in warm climates, the dislike is childish and ignorant.
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. However, I was directing my question at the pantherfan12, and am still curious to know why he hates Canadian teams and wishes that we lose every game we play.

I do plan on coming down to Florida one day to catch a Jets game against both Florida and Tampa Bay. I'm hoping not to meet too much hostility towards me from Floridian hockey fans simply because I'm Canadian and cheer for a Canadian team.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. However, I was directing my question at the pantherfan12, and am still curious to know why he hates Canadian teams and wishes that we lose every game we play.

I do plan on coming down to Florida one day to catch a Jets game against both Florida and Tampa Bay. I'm hoping not to meet too much hostility towards me from Floridian hockey fans simply because I'm Canadian and cheer for a Canadian team.
I don't like Canadian teams because like someone else posted, when they come to town their fans are very rude and obnoxious. They think that Florida having any professional hockey what-so-ever is somehow a disgrace to the game, and I just find it ridiculous. I love this game and I would love it if the NHL had more teams all around this country and made the NHL a bigger, more popular sport here in the US. I am def. not a hostile person though and would never be mean or nasty to anyone who I met at a game, regardless of what jersey they are wearing (unless they are nasty or rude towards me) I am a very nice person, and I'll talk to anyone,anytime. I've met plenty of Canadians who were awesome people to talk too(even Canadian's who became Panthers SSH) and it was definitely something else to hear stories of how Hockey really rules Canada, and how Hockey over there is like Football over here. I am not trying to criticize ALL Canadians because that wouldn't be right, and I don't hate people and don't hold grudges,but those who do occupy the arena during Canadian team games and are very rude and nasty are the people I am talking about. In all honesty though I love all hockey fans really, and it makes me happy to see so many fans here in S.Fla and see so much love for the game in a place that isn't considered a traditional "Hockey Market"

When it comes to losing every game, I really don't care as long as they lose to the Panthers.

Old
03-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I'm sorry but you totally lost me.
Was on my phone, sorry. Was trying to say that someone in an earlier post said that the mike had gone out and the crowd finished singing the anthem. It's not as loud as Toronto, but there's American pride there.

Old
03-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Was on my phone, sorry. Was trying to say that someone in an earlier post said that the mike had gone out and the crowd finished singing the anthem. It's not as loud as Toronto, but there's American pride there.
I know we have pride,no question. I just thought they were a little more outgoing(if that's the right word to use) with their anthem and all the flags waving and such, that's all.

Old
03-14-2012, 02:02 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Lots of pride in the panthers here. Not sure if this works someone let me know.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=935333472395

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:49 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
As you said, Hockey is Canada's passion, so like I didn't expect expo games to be like Yankee stadium I don't have unreasonable patriotic expectations here.

That said, hundreds of diehards had a blast serenading the habs fans as they sheepishly exited last game with god bless America, Et. Al.

On another note, one game recently the mike went out as the anthem singer sang, and the entire crowd sang the star spangled banner. It was awesome.
I was gonna post that...always good to read all posts before you post lol.

It was the only Anthem I liked better than any of Graham Vondrei (sp?)

Until the local people hold a hockey stick in their own hands, they're not even going to know what they're really witnessing.

I want desperately to grow the sport here. There's plenty of places to play >>HOCKEY<< here, more than I had in NY even.

Bunch of grown men wearing pretty colors playing with their stick and a rubber disc. When the group with the same pretty colors gets the disk in the other groups net, yell and make noise and paint your face and drink your beer. HEY! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

The above have no idea why any and all of us are here and what were talking about.

That sure as hell doesn't mean they wouldn't or couldn't know. It just means they don't. It, the concert promotion event(AKA shhh hockey) is poorly promoted down here. They don't really tell the masses why they should show up as much as they're kinda just like 'Hey, come check it out, whatever it is." Couldn't be more bland. The 'We See Red' thing is cool though. Winning (er everyone else losing) helps too

See how gaga the locals that are Panthers die hards are???? There's more of them that just aren't being grabbed.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:02 PM
gizmo12688
OTL To The Playoffs

Quote:

Ha, nice. I'm the short guy with classes wearing the black Marlins hat and Gudbranson shirt behind the girl holding the sign.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Ekblast
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
You also have to remember where you're at, South Florida.

Being a school teacher I have noticed this first hand. Many (not all) but many Hispanics will not and do not pledge allegiance to the flag or sing the star spangled banner.

It irks me when they don't, but it is their choice. Hell, last game I "psssst" two boys and told them to take their caps off. They looked at me like I was a moron.

Ekblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:22 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThugsNHarmony View Post
You also have to remember where you're at, South Florida.

Being a school teacher I have noticed this first hand. Many (not all) but many Hispanics will not and do not pledge allegiance to the flag or sing the star spangled banner.

It irks me when they don't, but it is their choice. Hell, last game I "psssst" two boys and told them to take their caps off. They looked at me like I was a moron.
It's not even because they disagree with the gov't or something Carlin-like...it's because they **** where they ******* eat.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM
CatWoman34
Fool on the Hill

The crowd gets a shoutout in another anti-Leaf tirade article...

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/13...-in-their-face

"Toronto Sun: Leafs get sand kicked in their face"

CatWoman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:52 AM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWoman34 View Post
The crowd gets a shoutout in another anti-Leaf tirade article...

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/13...-in-their-face

"Toronto Sun: Leafs get sand kicked in their face"
that article is golden...

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:59 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:

That video was awesome!

AwesomePanthers is online now   Reply With Quote