HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kris Versteeg, torn labrum???

Old
03-01-2012, 08:17 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakstar View Post
Not sure how realiable this source is but I thought i'd post it -

Seems like it isn't too serious, hoping for the best!
This makes sense. Unlike a shoulder a torn hip labrum can be treated conservatively, and after the season arthroscopy performed.
Rest, physical therapy, etc, to get the joint inflammation down. Cortisone oral and local, etc. Then in June after we win the cup (comic relief here) arthroscopy is the international treatment of choice.

How much rest vs how much play is the unknown, and as all this is speculation, more info would be very helpful.

adam graves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Varying degrees, no guarantee that we're going to be screwed. I'm hoping for the best.

Just a comment regarding the training staff; when guys are getting hit at the speeds they're skating or even skating at that speed with all of the power and energy it takes to shift directions or absorb contact while trying to shoot, there are so many forces on all parts of the body that it's almost impossible to avoid injury. Perhaps our training staff isn't the best in the league and we do seem to have a string of injuries like sports hernias or groin pulls that should be lessened, but for guys to be out due to concussions or something like a torn labrum for Versteeg, the blame certainly IMO is not resting on the training staff.

Most of it's on the players in the offseason to get into the best shape possible so that they hold up. There's only so much anabolic training you can do once the season is underway. Keeping weight on and maintaining strength is the big challenge with the rigors of the schedule and for a smaller guy like steeg, it's no surprise that he's vulnerable once in a while.
I still have to question our training staff honestly. Concussions and big hits are one thing, but hernias and muscle pulls and strains are something different. While I agree mostly with you, I also feel that these players are almost bred to be warriors. Even on the offseason they still train and try to gain more muscle and speed. They are in the greatest shape of their lives and they train for the high speeds, the quick stops and all in's and out's that hockey has to offer. Sh** does happen, can lose an edge or get tripped up or something can happen to cause a strain or broken bone, but it really is hard to imagine these guys who are uber healthy, in outstanding shape, and who practice all the time somehow pulling a groin muscle, or throwing their back out. Again, I know you can sleep awkward and have back spasms but having so many injuries that aren't "hit" related seem a little out of place.
With regards to Steeg's size, well I don't read about St.Louis, or Kane, or any other smaller forward in the league being constantly stricken with some muscle injury. I could be wrong,but the last I checked I haven't heard of too many of those.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:12 AM
thelos
Bunk

JVR has a similar problem with the Flyers this year that will need offseason surgery

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Boooooth10

Didn't versteeg have hip problems last season? I really hope this won't be a recurring issue.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
Didn't versteeg have hip problems last season? I really hope this won't be a recurring issue.
Don't think so, he only missed two games the whole season. Has only missed 9 the previous 3 years, so he's stayed pretty healthy.

03-01-2012, 01:36 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Don't think so, he only missed two games the whole season. Has only missed 9 the previous 3 years, so he's stayed pretty healthy.
Yeah, but he said he wasnt all that healthy last season, and this season was the best he has felt in a long time. He mentioned the injuries, but I think it was sports hernia, not his hips.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:26 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
This makes sense. Unlike a shoulder a torn hip labrum can be treated conservatively, and after the season arthroscopy performed.
Rest, physical therapy, etc, to get the joint inflammation down. Cortisone oral and local, etc. Then in June after we win the cup (comic relief here) arthroscopy is the international treatment of choice.

How much rest vs how much play is the unknown, and as all this is speculation, more info would be very helpful.
Correct me if I'm wrong but you are physician or ex-physician? What do you think of disclosing one person's injuries to general public, i.e. if you are my doctor and then my employer starts asking you what's wrong with this guy? Don't these privacy laws like HIPAA do prevent these disclosures (not sure what they have in Canada). If I remember in Finland (SM-league), they are not telling anymore what kind of injury player has, just how long he will be away.
On the other hand these guys are public figures and maybe it's part their player contract to disclose injuries.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Tyler Durden

Anyone find out when he's due back? I heard he going to miss another 3 games.

Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:37 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but you are physician or ex-physician? What do you think of disclosing one person's injuries to general public, i.e. if you are my doctor and then my employer starts asking you what's wrong with this guy? Don't these privacy laws like HIPAA do prevent these disclosures (not sure what they have in Canada). If I remember in Finland (SM-league), they are not telling anymore what kind of injury player has, just how long he will be away.
On the other hand these guys are public figures and maybe it's part their player contract to disclose injuries.

JOL
Good question. I'd have to read their contract but I'd be shocked if the players don't waive their privacy rights. Thus it would not violate HIPAA laws.

Last edited by adam graves: 03-02-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old
03-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Tyler Durden

It may not be a torn labrum, on Rotoworld they're calling it a lower body injury.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/2019/kris-versteeg

Old
03-05-2012, 08:50 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Should be back Thursday in Philly?

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:42 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LassieMaven View Post
Should be back Thursday in Philly?
i read that as a probablity, and more importantly Kris said this is not a season ending injury.

AS weve said above, if it is whats rumored, rest, therapy, cortisone, can get him trhough this till offseason and then arthroscvopy is very successfull.

Old
03-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Tyler Durden

Won't play vs Flyers or Pens did not travel with the team to Pennslyvania, anyone know if he will be back to play Carolina on Sunday or the lastest the Flyers on March 20?

Old
03-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Won't play vs Flyers or Pens did not travel with the team to Pennslyvania, anyone know if he will be back to play Carolina on Sunday or the lastest the Flyers on March 20?
Not sure but I had to drop him in one of my Fantasy leagues. Couldn't hold out any longer.

Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:45 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
The hope is reeval sat and play Sunday ...