HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Turning Down 4 1st Round Picks Wrong?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2012, 05:48 PM
  #176
Guster Burton
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Was it one team that offered the same first for the 4 players in question. I don't believe that 4 separate teams called about 4 different players and offered their first.
I was thinking the same thing but he cleared it up on McCowan and said 4 different picks/ 4 different players. At least that's how I remember hearing it.

Guster Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:08 PM
  #177
trellaine201
Registered User
 
trellaine201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Left coast
Posts: 6,780
vCash: 500
People actually believe the leafs could have had 4 first round picks this year?

trellaine201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:11 PM
  #178
anderson3133
Registered User
 
anderson3133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
People actually believe the leafs could have had 4 first round picks this year?
No, we believe we could have had 5.

1 (the current one we own) + 4 (the four we were offered for individual players) = 5

Paul Gaustad got Buffalo a 1st and the year before that Versteeg got us a 1st and 3rd. It's not hard to imagine a player who is two years removed from the draft, a top five pick albeit, was offered a first.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:15 PM
  #179
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 6,865
vCash: 500
Those of you who are saying:

1 - Burke should have got 1st round picks at the deadline.

2 - Should have packaged those picks to move up in the draft

...you do realize that last year, Burke could have done that too right? And didn't because it doesn't work?

Just because you have first round picks doesn't always mean you can trade up.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:20 PM
  #180
anderson3133
Registered User
 
anderson3133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
I think it's fairly safe to say that with 17% (if we had all 5) of the first round market being owned by us it could have made movement much easier.

It's simple math really. In order to trade up you must perceive the player/spot you are going for to be greater than or equal to the picks/player you are giving up. Burke traded up slightly last year to land Biggs but he likely felt that Biggs + Percy > any position in the draft he could have gotten to.

Edit: this is not to say that I condone a fire sale, just clarifying some aspects of other people's arguments.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:22 PM
  #181
Guster Burton
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
People actually believe the leafs could have had 4 first round picks this year?
Just wondering how you know they couldn't have?

Guster Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:24 PM
  #182
PresidentCamacho*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
I think it's fairly safe to say that with 17% (if we had all 5) of the first round market being owned by us it could have made movement much easier.

It's simple math really. In order to trade up you must perceive the player/spot you are going for to be greater than or equal to the picks/player you are giving up. Burke traded up slightly last year to land Biggs but he likely felt that Biggs + Percy > any position in the draft he could have gotten to.
Terrible trade.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Biggs turns out to be the third liner we are expecting him to be, but Burke really needs to understand that 2 is twice as many as 1. Simple math really, like you said.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:27 PM
  #183
anderson3133
Registered User
 
anderson3133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
Terrible trade.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Biggs turns out to be the third liner we are expecting him to be, but Burke really needs to understand that 2 is twice as many as 1. Simple math really, like you said.
Absolutely. However, if he and the scouts felt that the talent level really dropped off beyond that than why not make that trade up? Is quality not better than quantity?

Again, all results remain to be seen and likely will for years to come.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:33 PM
  #184
PresidentCamacho*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
Absolutely. However, if he and the scouts felt that the talent level really dropped off beyond that than why not make that trade up? Is quality not better than quantity?

Again, all results remain to be seen and likely will for years to come.
Boone Jenner and Brandon Saad are already shaping up to be pretty good players.

Theoretically, they both could have been had with 30 and 39.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:14 PM
  #185
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Just because you have first round picks doesn't always mean you can trade up.
With 5 first round picks (Including a potential top 10 or top 5) you can do pretty much anything you want to do - trade up or down or all in circles.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:36 PM
  #186
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 6,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
With 5 first round picks (Including a potential top 10 or top 5) you can do pretty much anything you want to do - trade up or down or all in circles.
I disagree.

You don't get a 2 picks for a higher pick trade that vaults you up into the top 5 positions anymore in the league, and trading three of those first rounders for a top 5 pick just seems stupid.

So no - you can't do pretty much anything you want, which is the point that I've been trying to make all along.

If we could do anything we wanted with multiple first round picks, then we could have done better than a Biggs and a Percy last summer.

Teams scout hard throughout the season, and come draft day they are so sure of who they plan to select in the first round (especially the early picks) that those picks are hardly ever traded. Not unless the package is bordering overpayment.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:04 PM
  #187
pucky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Rinks View Post
As we all know, 4 1st round picks were offerred to Burke at the deadline for...

Schenn
Kulemin
MacArthur
Grabovski
Huh?!?

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.