HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Your top 5 Blues players?

Old
02-23-2012, 06:01 PM
SoulChaser17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman1707 View Post
Haha I guess I should have read the initial thread. I read the title of the thread and interpreted it as top 5 players in terms of importance and then skimmed some of the names people said and didn't see AMAC. But I do believe that average blues fans don't give him the credit he deserves.
Really? I see a bunch of people here in this topic listing him as one of their favorites. We're all very much aware of how good he is for the team.

SoulChaser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:57 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulChaser17 View Post
Really? I see a bunch of people here in this topic listing him as one of their favorites. We're all very much aware of how good he is for the team.
okay, no. if you have an hfboards account, there is no way you are an average blues fan by any means. having an hfboards account means that you actually actively follow the blues which could include watching most games, looking at stats, and frequently checking the standings. most st. louisans who watch the blues don't really do those extracurricular things and therefore don't really recognize amac's value.

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:01 PM
EOM

1. Pietrangelo
2. Pietrangelo
3. Pietrangelo
4. Pietrangelo
5. Backes/Oshie/McDonald/Perron/Berglund/Goalies/Shattenkirk

Edit: Ok, I'll be a little more serious:

1. Pietrangelo/Shattenkirk
2. Backes
3. Oshie/McDonald
4. Perron/Berglund
5. Elliott/Halak

It's tough to rate the players with the way the team is built; the talent level is so balanced. I rated them with regard to their importance to the team. Obviously the big two on D are the backbone of the team, with Pietrangelo being the Blues' best and most important player overall. Backes is second based on the job he has done as captain so far.

Last edited by EOM: 02-23-2012 at 10:08 PM.
EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Cudi
in the aeroplane...

vCash: 50
1) Petro - Shattenkirk

2) Backes

3) Halak

4) McDonald

5) Perron - Oshie

Cudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Linus

vCash: 526
Perron
McDonald
Polak
Shattenkirk
Berglund

Honorable mention: Nichol

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

#1 David Backes: He's by far my favorite today and he ranks right up there all time. Plays the game the right way. Was really happy when he got the captaincy.

#2. T.J. Oshie: for many of the same reasons I like Backes. Lot of fun to watch

#3 Alex Pietrangelo: Just incredible skill. He just blows me away

#4. Chris Stewart: I know he's not very popular but I really think he's going to put it all together. He's fun to watch when he is on.

#5 Andy McDonald. I was never a Doug Weight fan so the fact that we got him for Weight was awesome for me. I think he's probably the most talented forward on the team.

#6 I need a 6th spot because I need a spot for RYAN REAVES. If the thread I made the other day didn't show it, I'm a big fan of the guy. More to him than just the fighting.

Honorable Mentions: Jason Arnott, David Perron, Barrett Jackman

On The opposite end (and I know this is blasphemy) for me is .... Alex Steen. I'm don't why. I guess maybe it's because I think he's overrated by Blues fans in general to the point where it kind of irritates me. Great role player, but I don't see him as a top 6 guy.

Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Stillflexin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman1707 View Post
its funny how such few people give AMAC the credit he deserves...
Amac also has only played over half a season twice as a Blue and never a full season. Its hard to give credit to someone who doesn't play half the time. I love the guy and what he brings but I almost forget he's even part of the team.

For me my list goes as follows:

1. Perron - My man crush. I love everything he can do. Most talented player on our team.

2. Pietrangelo - I've loved Pie since he played those 9 games he played during the 09-10 season, I just saw something in him and thought, just give him a chance and he will impress.

3. David Backes - What can I say, he is the team leader, he gives his heart and soul every game.

4. Shattenkirk - I liked Johnson but last season he was just a disappointment. I wasn't too sure about Shatty when we first got him but so far I've loved him, he reminds me of a MaCinnis developing. He just needs to keep working on his defensive game more but its been fantastic as of late.

5. Berglund - A lot of you get disappointed with Bergy and I do too. He is like a lot of big guys who I think forget they are big. He has the skillset and build to be a Swedish Malkin, he just needs the confidence.

Stillflexin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Stillflexin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
On The opposite end (and I know this is blasphemy) for me is .... Alex Steen. I'm don't why. I guess maybe it's because I think he's overrated by Blues fans in general to the point where it kind of irritates me. Great role player, but I don't see him as a top 6 guy.
Same thing for me is Sobotka, I love what he does on the ice as far as his heart and everything but he just lacks hockey skill. I try to like him but I just can't get into it.

Stillflexin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillflexin View Post
Same thing for me is Sobotka, I love what he does on the ice as far as his heart and everything but he just lacks hockey skill. I try to like him but I just can't get into it.
That's exactly my feelings. I appreciate what's brought to the table but I can't get into it

Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:05 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

1 - Jackman: He does 5 proud in a Bluenote. I was a bit disappointed he didn't seem to get much consideration for the captaincy.

2 - Perron: Its amazing to watch him nowadays and think what a good job Andy Murray did with him. His hands set him apart, but he goes to the net, and gets back hard.

3 - Pietrangelo: Elite. And young, getting better. His consistency is his best trait.

4 - Halak: Great reflexes, solid fundamentals, and a proven ability to raise his game in tournaments/playoffs.

5 - Backes: The heart and soul of the team. Great choice for captain. Like Jackman, is a throw-back to players of an older era.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:29 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

1. Pietrangelo We don't get this kind of opportunity as sports fans in our lives often. By that I mean to get to see a genuine prodigy realize truly great potential for our favorite team before our eyes. No less than that is happening with Alex Pietrangelo. To see it with this beloved franchise, so long cursed by cruel disappointment, is something I hope we all deeply appreciate.

2. Perron Plays with joy. Lives for the game. Lotta Demitra in him. His idea of a vacation isn't the Bahamas, it's going to an outdoor rink in Sherbrooke in the winter to play 4 hours a night of pond hockey. To go through missing out on his life's favorite thing for a year, to come from out of nowhere as a prospect and then make the team against the odds, to be as affable and intelligent as he is, he's hands down my favorite forward.

3. Steen Just seems like a completely solid guy in every respect. Love his game on the ice, he's very intelligent. You get the sense that he's just solid and competent everywhere, on and off the ice. The team really misses him.

4. Elliott This guy makes you root for him. He truly saved the season in the early going. They might still be in the playoff hunt but I think having a backup carry you communicates to everyone that everyone's contribution is needed. He has managed to both push Halak and have that competition be friendly and mutually productive. All the reports are that he's a great teammate, works to stop every shot in practice. When he plays well and wins a game I'm really happy for him personally, every time. (That's a good judge for knowing someone should be on or off your list.)

5. Hitchcock. Bit of a copout but I'm really happy for him that he's been so open to learning new things at an advanced age. He's just the right coach for this team. I think he wants to stamp his legacy as one of the great coaches ever and he can do that if he builds a Cup winner in St. Louis. A franchise that's never won, teaching kids far younger than him, and being willing to learn new things himself in order to be better in his job. I love that when he was out of the league he relentlessly studied new approaches and catalogued every team's strengths and weaknesses.

This is a likeable team and a lot of the guys are easy to root for. I hope that if the Blues win the Cup, the last shot blocked protecting a one-goal lead is Jackman's. Oshie's on-ice enthusiasm can be infectious. Cole's a bright, witty kid who'll have a broadcasting career after a solid NHL career, I think. Sobotka's an underdog. Berglund's actually quite likeable and earnest. And so on. But the first four players are my personal favorites on this team.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Chibi
Randomness

Pietrangelo - Can we clone ? Oh wait, we have Shattenkirk...nevermind, lol.

Perron - Love his handiwork, so happy he's back.

Backes - He is Captain...he is Blues personified.

Steen - All around, good consistent player, hope he comes back soon.

Polak - What can I say, the man is solid.

Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:54 PM
cadetduke

No particular order:
Backes
McDonald
Perron
Steen
Pietrangelo

#6 would be Shattenkirk.

cadetduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

1. Petro- He is a big reason we are where we are, its been awhile since we've had a legit top pairing guy.
2. Backes- Elite defensive center who is good for 25-30 goals and pretty consistent play. Team leader as well.
3. Oshie- Great two way player putting together a strong offensive year
4. Andy Mac- Still our most consistent offensive threat
5. Steener- Couldve gove w/ Perron, Bergy, or Shatty (maybe even Stewey of late), but Ill give it to Steen because he is so damn rock solid.

I think Backes and Petro are still a step ahead of everyone else, both are elite two way guys. By tiers.

Backes
Petro

McDonald
Steen
Shatty/Perron/Oshie

Bergy
Stewart
Polak/Soby/etc

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:18 PM
TerminatorBlue

1.Pietrangelo
2.Backes
3.Perron
4.Oshie
5.Halak

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:48 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

1. Pietrangelo- Great all around player very high I.Q. and hockey sense. Best hand i've ever seen a defenseman have and never gets beat defensively, and he always gets his shot on net.

2. Oshie- top 5 two way forward in the game like almost every post before me said, he does it all, he has the ability to do everything in every zone.

3. Perron- top 3 sickest hands i've seen in the NHL. The guy needs to play with a finisher and there's no reason why he can't average a point a game for the rest of his career. Also, he's not bad in the defensive zone, heck i mean he's been killing penalties recently

4. Kevin Shattenkirk- Alot like pietrangelo in most ways just still developing consistency to his game. But he's gonna turn into one of the best in the league pretty soon. Also, he was better than E.J. last season before we made the trade.

5. Mcdonald/Backes- it's a tie for me. Mcdonald is just so fast, he makes defenders back off because of his ability to either blow by them or to use his elite passing skills to set someone up. He's just come back from a bad injury so we've still yet to see the best that he can offer. For Backes he's a good goal scorer with above average hands for his type of player and can hit like a truck and is as good defensively as he is offensively. All around very well balanced player.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Thekidline

1. Patrik Berglund - Even with the low offensive numbers, I love the guy, great upside.

2. Roman Polak - Crazy consistant, very underrated skater. Seems to be likable off the ice as well.

3. David Perron - Love his love for the game.

4. Alex Pietrangelo - How can't you love him?

5. David Backes - A mean man with a soft spot for puppies.

Thekidline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:02 PM
MadDog6

OK, by how much I LIKE a player...not necessarily how I feel about their playing ability...

#1: Berglund: The kid has a certain goofiness about him. He will be a monster when he learns to control the body of his.

#2: Stewart: He loves this team, no matter what the Colorado press says. I love the everytime someone on the team scores.

#3: Colaiacovo: OK, the guy loves it here. I met him once and my wife loves him but she was sick. I told him that and that he was probably the only man she would run off with so he took the time to call her and talk to her; I had to show her a picture so she would believe it. He loves it here and he always tries his best, to the point of beating the snot out of himself.

#4: Perron: Yeah, he's a French-Canadian but the kid has heart. My only concern is if its for his own ability or the team.

#5: Porter: I was in Iraq and my parents bought me a Stewart Jersey for my B-Day. They went to the Mills to get him to sign it and Porter not only took the Jersey to Stewie, but also took a family pic of us in our Blues gear at the American Airlines Center (Dallas) and got it signed by the locker room. Spent some time with my parents talking with them. Real class act...

MadDog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:19 PM
SoulChaser17

Man.... I wish I could meet some Blues players. I feel like I could be great friends with Oshie, Pietrangelo too considering he's my age.

That would be awesome. Being friends with Petro. My life would be the best.

SoulChaser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:03 AM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
1. Berglund
2. Pietrangelo
3. Oshie
4. Backes

I guess Perron would round out my top five, but it's hard to pick a favorite after the first four.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote