HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix signs WHL Leading Scorer Brendan Shinnimin

Old
03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
hbk

vCash: 500
Phoenix signs WHL Leading Scorer Brendan Shinnimin

as per John Shannon of Sportsnet.

He's a Center. 5'10" 175 lbs. Plays with Tri-Cities of the WHL

60 GP 52 G 65 A 117 PTS +41 74 PIM

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Kaizen

That's why he went pointless last night after having a monster February. He had his first pro contract.

Hopefully not Craig Endean 2.0 but I somehow doubt that.

No question he'll be a good pro and time will tell if he can develop into an NHL player.

Edit: Did he say if the first year of the contract was '12 or '13?

Edit: I checked the tweet, no detail regarding the contract yet.

I'm a happy camper with this signing.

Last edited by Kaizen: 03-02-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Perfect replacement for Colin Long.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

He looked decent at last year's camp. Wasn't spectacular, but seemed to be better than Dyzurinski/Fritsch/Lane/Werek/Lessio/etc...

We'll see if he can be a good pro, but not a bad signing at all.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

I do think that out of our current crop of forwards, Lessio/Miele/Shinnimin have the best chances of contributing on the big club.

Old
03-02-2012, 11:52 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
I do think that out of our current crop of forwards, Lessio/Miele/Shinniman have the best chances of contributing on the big club.
Brown as well. I think he replaces Pyatt.

Old
03-02-2012, 11:53 AM
awfulwaffle

He can't play this year. He has to wait out until next year when his Pro contract starts.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Which is sad from a Yotes point of view, because it doesn't look like any of the three will make a significant impact at the NHL level.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and one of the standouts actually becomes something.

Old
03-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Brown as well. I think he replaces Pyatt.
Yes, sorry, forgot Brown. He will definitely contribute on the bottom 6 and looks like he'll be our type of player.

But I'm looking forward to the day an actual top 6 (other than Hanzal) actually works out.

Old
03-02-2012, 12:04 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
Which is sad from a Yotes point of view, because it doesn't look like any of the three will make a significant impact at the NHL level.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and one of the standouts actually becomes something.
I actually really like what we saw out of Miele early on. His biggest issue is getting used to the pro game. Once he does I expect him to be a Cliff Ronning type player.

Old
03-02-2012, 12:21 PM
PhoPhan

A brief scouting report from Hockey Prospectus:

Quote:
One source described his projection as A third line forward but can play all over your line up because he can do so many things.
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=280

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Kaizen

can play all over your line up because he can do so many things

Edwards or whoever coaches in Portland next year will certainly love that. A big plus under the Maloney/Tippett regime.

Old
03-02-2012, 01:27 PM
lanky

Sounds like Tim Stapleton.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:04 PM
ratrat4563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
That's why he went pointless last night after having a monster February. He had his first pro contract.

Hopefully not Craig Endean 2.0 but I somehow doubt that.

No question he'll be a good pro and time will tell if he can develop into an NHL player.

Edit: Did he say if the first year of the contract was '12 or '13?

Edit: I checked the tweet, no detail regarding the contract yet.

I'm a happy camper with this signing.
The last game Shinnimin played for the AMS was on Tuesday not last night. He didn't score a goal but he did earn two points continuing his point scoring run. tonight will be his first game since signing his contract, a big game with Portland who is right behind the Americans in the race for first place in the Division, Conference, and the League. Having watched this kid grow over the last four years I think Phoenix is getting a good bit of talent. Over the past month many clubs have been checking him harder than normal and the kid just bounces up and it appears to make him go to the next level which ususally results in a goal or an assist. Think of him like a Timex watch powered by the Energizer bunny, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

ratrat4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Kaizen

I didn't pick up on the fact that Drinnan's tweet and blog post were tongue in cheek.

My mistake.

Gregg Drinnan‏@gdrinnan

Bender wins, to fight or not to fight, what's wrong with Shinnimin, and 10 or more questions . . . http://*******.com/kwx8vy

Or my comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Old
03-02-2012, 03:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hopefully one of he or Miele actually ends up a top six forward. Got to love Maloney's throw **** at a wall approach.

03-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Didnt know about Endean.

Tyler Redenbach
Colin Long
Justin Bernhardt

We dont seem to do as well from the WHL as we should.. Stone is the lone exception..

Weller, Stone, Bloodoff, Long, Ross, Mueller, Bendfeld, Stephenson, Gagnon, Redenbach, Gibbons, Gelech..

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:29 PM
hbk

Our Director of Scouting Rick Knickle is based out of Vancouver I believe. He was in charge of the WHL scouting for Nashville prior to this position. He's responsible for drafting players like Hartnell, Weber, Tootoo, etc.

Old
03-02-2012, 07:24 PM
kihekah19

My hope is that he's a late bloomer and he'll be able to continue to bloom..... we'll see.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Hopefully one of he or Miele actually ends up a top six forward. Got to love Maloney's throw **** at a wall approach.
Would GMDM still do this if he didn't have such budget restrictions?

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:43 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Would GMDM still do this if he didn't have such budget restrictions?
I actually think our budget restrictions have forced us to become better with our contract management.

We offered a AHL deal to Shinnimin at training camp. After the year (month) he just had we offered him the NHL deal. It's one of the reasons I presume we included the goalie to Columbus to ensure we had contract room (max 50 players under contract) to make this move.

Let's face it our depth on Forward isn't great right now. We were unable to trade up to take Johansson in 2010 and our hands were forced on moving Turris in December. Consequently we ended up with two more high pairing D men instead of supplementing our forward depth. That's not a criticism. It's the hand we were dealt and we were forced to play it. BPA is BPA. I think we also need to accept that this is a Defense draft coming up. It is very likely that our first round pick this year may end up being another D. Again BPA is BPA. With that being the case Shinnimin provides some offset to filling our forward prospect depth. Is he an A1 guy? The answer is no. But he's the equivalent of actually hitting on a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Old
03-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
I actually think our budget restrictions have forced us to become better with our contract management.

We offered a AHL deal to Shinnimin at training camp. After the year (month) he just had we offered him the NHL deal. It's one of the reasons I presume we included the goalie to Columbus to ensure we had contract room (max 50 players under contract) to make this move.

Let's face it our depth on Forward isn't great right now. We were unable to trade up to take Johansson in 2010 and our hands were forced on moving Turris in December. Consequently we ended up with two more high pairing D men instead of supplementing our forward depth. That's not a criticism. It's the hand we were dealt and we were forced to play it. BPA is BPA. I think we also need to accept that this is a Defense draft coming up. It is very likely that our first round pick this year may end up being another D. Again BPA is BPA. With that being the case Shinnimin provides some offset to filling our forward prospect depth. Is he an A1 guy? The answer is no. But he's the equivalent of actually hitting on a 3rd or 4th round pick.
I actually thought GMDM was great at what he does long before the NHL restrictions came into play. Considering our winning core we have right now and stock pile of players in the system and a ******** of picks we can spare, if there were no restrictions, we would see more of the likes of Parise and Carter and less of Shinnimin and Miele.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 03-03-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:53 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

Tomas Hertl. All day.

Of course Knickle will probably go for Sissons.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:18 AM
PhoPhan

I want nothing to do with Sissons. Probably my least favorite player ranked in the top 30.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:38 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Low risk, high-reward signing. He was at a few NHL prospect camps this summer including NYR. Seems like that gave him confidence.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote