HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Saints Bounty Thread (NFL vacates all punishment in Bountygate)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2012, 10:56 PM
  #76
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,506
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
You're a Steeler fan, no?

Dirtiest player in the league on either side of the ball in Harrison and Ward.

Lol.

I mean you cut Ward, but that's a hilarious case of throwing stones in a glass house.
Did I show outrage at any point of this? I guarantee you 3/4 of the league is participating in this same practice...maybe not all of them coach-sanctioned (actually, almost assuredly most not coach-sanctioned). I just pointed the Ravens out because they talk about it openly.

Any time the Steelers and Ravens play...the highest paid players on those teams are almost assuredly putting bounties on the other team's players. I doubt the coaches are involved whatsoever, but it seems way too obvious for it not to exist.

For what it's worth...I don't necessarily hate it. I'm a Steelers fan, which means I am a fan of old-time football. For as much as I ****ing hate the Ravens and want them to go for a nice swim in the middle of a volcano...I respect the way they play football...it's part of what makes that rivalry the best in football, these are two holdover franchises that still play rough and tumble 'we'll punch you in the mouth and then spit on you' football. I have no problem with players putting bounties on the line for the hardest (legal) hit of a game. I would say I have a problem with coaches putting bounties out there for purposefully injuring guys, though.

Still...this exists in the league...and the Saints are far from the only team that has been practicing this. I'm just shrugging at the whole thing. The fact that anyone could possibly be surprised that this happens is what surprises me.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 03-03-2012 at 02:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:59 PM
  #77
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Did I show outrage at any point of this? I guarantee you 3/4 of the league is participating in this same practice...maybe not all of them coach-sanctioned (actually, almost assuredly most not coach-sanctioned). I just pointed the Ravens out because they talk about it openly.

Any time the Steelers and Ravens place...the highest paid players on those teams are almost assuredly putting bounties on the other team's players. I doubt the coaches are involved whatsoever, but it seems way too obvious for it not to exist.
I agree most the league is doing this.

I just find it hilarious that a Steeler fan would ***** that the Ravens werne't the team caught for it.

Glass houses and all that.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:40 AM
  #78
MikeyMike01*
Hurray
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,432
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
This is worse than spygate. Exponentially. The Saints should be as embarrassed as is possible for a sports team to be.

If the NFL has any integrity the Saints will lose next year's first round pick.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:53 AM
  #79
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,506
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I agree most the league is doing this.

I just find it hilarious that a Steeler fan would ***** that the Ravens werne't the team caught for it.

Glass houses and all that.
Again, not *****ing, just finding it amusing.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:58 AM
  #80
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!
 
Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Valrico, FL
Posts: 29,026
vCash: 500
The not scientifically accurate but interesting nonetheless ESPN SportsNation poll:

How should the Saints be punished for maintaining a "bounty" program from 2009-11?
Fine: 14%
Suspensions: 6%
Forfeiture of draft picks: 11%
All of the above: 55%
None of the above: 15%
TOTAL VOTES: 108,817

The individual states breakdown showed Louisiana voting 31% for a fine, 31% for none of the above, and 28% for all of the above.

Every other state and the world vote are siding with all of the above, and almost all of them are above 50%. Minnesota, at this time, is at 69% among over 2,500 votes.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 03:42 AM
  #81
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,185
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Looks like the normal Saint haters are out in force...hoping and dreaming for punishments that, in all likelihood, will not come to pass.

Continue to hate...perhaps if you do it long it enough it will reverse time and help the Vikings win that game.

__________________
Patty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:09 AM
  #82
MikeyMike01*
Hurray
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,432
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
Looks like the normal Saint haters are out in force...hoping and dreaming for punishments that, in all likelihood, will not come to pass.

Continue to hate...perhaps if you do it long it enough it will reverse time and help the Vikings win that game.
I'm a Giants fan. I couldn't give two ***** about the Saints. I think this is deplorable and would like to see them severely punished.

Seems to me you're just a Saints apologist.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:42 AM
  #83
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!
 
Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Valrico, FL
Posts: 29,026
vCash: 500
I hope the Saints are docked money and picks out of this. I don't think a death penalty-type sentence should be given to them, but I think there can be a serious punishment made of money and picks that would resolve the situation.

I know when my team screwed up regarding salary cap skirting in the late 1990s they got docked picks and all involved (including those who left for Cleveland's front office) got docked cash. Spygate had the same result of docking money and picks. I don't think the Saints should endure anything different.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:09 AM
  #84
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,185
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
I'm a Giants fan. I couldn't give two ***** about the Saints. I think this is deplorable and would like to see them severely punished.

Seems to me you're just a Saints apologist.
Cool...but wasn't referring to you and, to quote yourself, "couldn't give two ***** about" what you think should happen.

Patty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:01 AM
  #85
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
If the Saints injured your golden boy Eli Manning because of a bounty that was put out on him, you would be arguing the exact opposite. And if you say you wouldn't, then you're just lying.
I don't think you know me very well. I tend to stay objective even when I don't stand to benefit. Either way Eli isnt my golden boy and I still don't consider him amongst the elite quarterbacks.

What the saints supposedly did is what I believe is the unspoken assumption that most teams play under. To act like this is some unholy horror reserved for only one team. I assume, and I want my Giants having this same system when they're playing another team. Football was always meant to be mean and nasty and the other team always was trying to hurt you. Where along the lines did that go away? Thats one of the core principles of the sport.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:04 AM
  #86
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 178,211
vCash: 500
You probably should consider him amongst the elite quarterbacks given his performance in the postseason, but that's another story.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:06 AM
  #87
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
I'm a Giants fan. I couldn't give two ***** about the Saints. I think this is deplorable and would like to see them severely punished.

Seems to me you're just a Saints apologist.
Oh stop it. We Giants fans took a ton of pride when our team injured 5 QB's in one season.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:08 AM
  #88
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
You probably should consider him amongst the elite quarterbacks given his performance in the postseason, but that's another story.
Thats what the media keeps trying to tell me, but I watch every Giants game and not just the post season ones. I still see a lot of back footed floater passes and some horrible decisions with questionable courage regarding his running game. He's a very good QB but I think Aaron Rodgers is a much better QB.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:08 AM
  #89
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 25,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
The not scientifically accurate but interesting nonetheless ESPN SportsNation poll:

How should the Saints be punished for maintaining a "bounty" program from 2009-11?
Fine: 14%
Suspensions: 6%
Forfeiture of draft picks: 11%
All of the above: 55%
None of the above: 15%
TOTAL VOTES: 108,817

The individual states breakdown showed Louisiana voting 31% for a fine, 31% for none of the above, and 28% for all of the above.
Considering the responses of some of the Saint fans in this thread, I'm not terribly surprised. But no, we're all just "haters", despite literally everyone in the media calling this a huge deal where the Saints will likely have the book on thrown at them.

Sorry your team got caught, and I don't disagree that it does happen league-wide but that's not the point. There are mountains of evidence on the the fact that it was an organization-sanctioned program. If they had this type of evidence on other teams, everyone would feel the exact same way, and I'm sure the league would react the exact same way. It doesn't make anyone a hater to expect a spygate type penalty, or worse. This doesn't just affect the outcomes of games. This affects peoples careers, health and lives. It's one thing to play hard and it's entirely another to want to make someone have health problems for the rest of their life. Those aren't football playing robots under those helmets, those are real human beings. Too often people forget that.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:35 AM
  #90
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Considering the responses of some of the Saint fans in this thread, I'm not terribly surprised. But no, we're all just "haters", despite literally everyone in the media calling this a huge deal where the Saints will likely have the book on thrown at them.

Sorry your team got caught, and I don't disagree that it does happen league-wide but that's not the point. There are mountains of evidence on the the fact that it was an organization-sanctioned program. If they had this type of evidence on other teams, everyone would feel the exact same way, and I'm sure the league would react the exact same way. It doesn't make anyone a hater to expect a spygate type penalty, or worse. This doesn't just affect the outcomes of games. This affects peoples careers, health and lives. It's one thing to play hard and it's entirely another to want to make someone have health problems for the rest of their life. Those aren't football playing robots under those helmets, those are real human beings. Too often people forget that.
I agree that it isnt a Saint-hater derived thing. I just have a problem with the sanctimonious talk like everyone is a fan of a clean team and it's merely the team who got caught who is the monster. What the Saints were doing is part of the culture of football and I just find it strange that people act in total shock and horror about it when they claim to be a fan of the sport. All the greatest defensive players always played with a mean chip on their shoulder and they essentially hated whoever they were playing. They werent out there to purposely twist a knee the wrong way, but they certainly were wanting to deliver such a big hit that it would knock a guy out of a game. That was seen as a measure of success. It's like fighting in hockey, there is a sense of accomplishment when a player actually ko's another one. Even though it doesnt happen that often it typically is the goal of each of the fighter.

Frankly, I want my team's defensive coordinator doing what Gregg Williams did. I want teams to absolutely hate playing the Giants D. I cheered the defense in the 2010 season when they knocked out seemingly a new QB each and every week. I really don't think it's a huge stretch to think that when there seemed to be a pattern that other teams QB's were dropping like they were that the giants players didnt have a little thing going amongst themselves that is probably very similar to the Saints thing.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:16 AM
  #91
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,429
vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Sharper never hit or tackled anybody so he probably wasn't invited to the bounty meetings.
He's the one guy who should have been getting the money anyways.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:55 AM
  #92
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 25,166
vCash: 500
Just wondering as I read the stuff in this post. Are we suggesting that there have never been a time in football or other sports for that matter that never had players that wanted to litterally go out to put a bad hurting on someone without getting some bounty reward for it? Did Todd Bertuzzi get some incentive after breaking Steve Moore's neck?

Its sounds like some of you hear are saying that no one is willing to play dirty unless there is some sort of money or gifts under the table for doing so. Usually I see others outthere who will look to injure others intentionally more so because they are a loose cannon than anything else.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:31 AM
  #93
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,429
vCash: 5700
Interesting that Jay Glazer has nothing to say. FOX must be thrilled their lead NFL "insider" apparently has better things to do, even if it's on their own network.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:01 PM
  #94
Edonator
The Mightiest Club
 
Edonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vancouver
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
I'm sure there are bounties out there in all professional sports, but not too many are going to be as brutal as getting $$ for having a guy get carted off the field. Playing any physical sport, anybody dishing out hits have always wanted to hurt, but never actually get somebody carted off.

That's the worse thing out of the entire bounty.

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:32 PM
  #95
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 14,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
Looks like the normal Saint haters are out in force...hoping and dreaming for punishments that, in all likelihood, will not come to pass.

Continue to hate...perhaps if you do it long it enough it will reverse time and help the Vikings win that game.
lol wut?

Bounties had absolutely no effect on outcome on that game and I haven't seen any one say they did. If anyone did that's nonsensical.

Doesn't change the fact its dirty, cheap, unprofessional, etc to purposely try to injure people and reward money for doing so.

No doubt this goes on through the entire league, but that's probably player to player without the coaches' knowledge most likely. The big thing about this is that it was coach sanctioned.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:33 PM
  #96
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
The big thing about this is that it was coach sanctioned.
And GM sanctioned.

And the owner told them to stop and they didn't

__________________
Gots all my pertinence on it and such
SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:36 PM
  #97
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,128
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Interesting that Jay Glazer has nothing to say. FOX must be thrilled their lead NFL "insider" apparently has better things to do, even if it's on their own network.
Some other people who cover the NFL were asking him on twitter what the deal is because he probably has more connections to the Saints anyone else but all he said was that he was working on it the best he could while covering UFC and he would write an article about it today.

Or maybe he doesn't want to start digging and revealing stuff because he is so close to some of the people in the organization.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:48 PM
  #98
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,429
vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
And GM sanctioned.

And the owner told them to stop and they didn't
Payton's the one who probably gets sanctioned, Loomis might get fired.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:17 PM
  #99
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 29,626
vCash: 500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounty_Bowl

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:27 PM
  #100
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,429
vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Quite celebrated 'round these parts

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.