HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Is Henrik Lundqvist An HOFer?

Old
03-02-2012, 09:13 PM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

vCash: 500
Is Henrik Lundqvist An HOFer?

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...lundqhe01.html

I think that He will be a slam dunk HOF'er.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Regal

He's certainly on his way, but he needs to keep adding to his resume. Goaltenders notoriously have it harder than any of the other positions in terms of getting into the hall, and a Vezina and cup seem to be needed on most resumes. He will most likely win the Vezina this year, and the Rangers look to be contenders, so the cup in still up in the air. At the same time, I think with the number of teams and good number one goaltenders in the game today, there will start to be less emphasis on awards and cups and more emphasis on being among the best year in and year out. If he keeps up his play into his mid 30s, with at least some good playoffs thrown in, he will most likely get in as he will be one of the best of his generation.

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:49 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I think he would have to win something in his career to be considered for the HOF.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:53 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
I think he would have to win something in his career to be considered for the HOF.
He's still got a lot of years left to do that.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
He's still got a lot of years left to do that.
Yeah, at this point it's really too soon to speculate. But, so far, he's on the right track.

03-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Yeah, at this point it's really too soon to speculate. But, so far, he's on the right track.
He has only played in the NHL since post lockout but over that time he is 4th in wins and 1st in SO and has one of the best Save % at .921

He is well on his way in but of course playoff success would help his case quite a bit.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Big Phil

He has a lot of work to do. If we are waiting on Barrasso, Vachon and Vernon to get in then Lundqvist certainly needs more time. Not to mention Joseph getting in is up in the air (I wouldn't induct him). Beezer and Moog are two other ones with some decent credentials that might just wait forever. So in reality he's got a lot of trucking ahead of him in order to make that happen

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:51 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Ryan Miller, Henrik Lundqvist, Miika Kiprusoff... love those guys! But it's too early to enshrine any of them.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Big Phil

Despite the belief that goaltending has gotten a lot better in recent years I think we've gone through a spell since the lockout where there aren't a lot of goalies you would consider locks for the HHOF. It goes in cycles and to be honest since Tretiak got inducted in 1989 there have only been three goalies, Smith, Fuhr and Roy to get in and then Belfour in 2011.

Right now other than Brodeur who is probably in his final season, who are considered to be "locks" playing in the NHL right now? Luongo, Thomas and Fleury are probably the best bets but there would be countless people that would make cases against them. After them there's Kipper, Lundqvist and Miller. All three have a long ways to go to prove it. I don't see what Kipper will do from here on in to add to his resume. The other two have a chance. But after that who else? Nabokov? Ward? Try making cases for them. Won't happen

Old
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Ask me again in 10 years.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

If he wins a Vezina this year and follows a normal career arc, he's going to get in. But those are some ifs

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:31 AM
pluppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Despite the belief that goaltending has gotten a lot better in recent years I think we've gone through a spell since the lockout where there aren't a lot of goalies you would consider locks for the HHOF. It goes in cycles and to be honest since Tretiak got inducted in 1989 there have only been three goalies, Smith, Fuhr and Roy to get in and then Belfour in 2011.

Right now other than Brodeur who is probably in his final season, who are considered to be "locks" playing in the NHL right now? Luongo, Thomas and Fleury are probably the best bets but there would be countless people that would make cases against them. After them there's Kipper, Lundqvist and Miller. All three have a long ways to go to prove it. I don't see what Kipper will do from here on in to add to his resume. The other two have a chance. But after that who else? Nabokov? Ward? Try making cases for them. Won't happen
In my opinion Lundquist is clearly ahead of Fleury. Sure itīs a big what if but I have a hard time imagining Lundquist not having a cup if he played for the Penguins.

Itīs not Hasek to Osgood but itīs a way bigger gap than Hasek to Brodeur.

pluppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
He won an Olympic Gold Medal, the #2 hockey award in the world.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 03-03-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Flaming
Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

Yep if he continues to produce he should have a long enough and solid enough career to be inducted. The Rangers look strong for years to come, so he will be solid.

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:00 AM
GuineaPig

Not yet.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:01 AM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
Only after MAF makes it.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:26 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

There are 10 goalies in the HOF who played most of their hockey post-expansion: Dryden, Cheevers, Parent, Esposito, Giacomin, Tretiak, Smith, Fuhr, Roy and Belfour.

Currently out but certs to be in are Hasek and Brodeur. Cujo seems likely. It's been 45 years since expansion. So we are looking at 2-3 goalies per decade on average - though it's obvious the really high-scoring time between ca. 1978 and 93 didn't yield much in the way of goalie induction so it's to be expected that the very low-scoring era post-1997 will be much kinder to goalies.

Given that, I wouldn't be shocked to see 3+ goalies make it from the 00s cohort. But it will be interesting what characteristics will count, Tim Thomas seems a likelihood with 2 Vezinas and 1 Cup. What about the Cup-less Vezina winners in Ryan Miller and Kiprusoff or a currently still Cup-less and 'controversial' but still elite Luongo? What about Osgood? Fleury?

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluppe View Post
In my opinion Lundquist is clearly ahead of Fleury. Sure itīs a big what if but I have a hard time imagining Lundquist not having a cup if he played for the Penguins.

Itīs not Hasek to Osgood but itīs a way bigger gap than Hasek to Brodeur.
Hard to say. But Fleury had an amazing performance in the 2009 playoffs. It isn't as if he was along for the ride. He was the most important Penguin after Malkin, and probably Crosby too.

Old
03-03-2012, 09:52 AM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
Let's not forget MAF's 2008 playoffs. If Detroit isn't out of this world, or if Malkin plays a bit better, he has 2 rings. He certainly did his part.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
Let's not forget MAF's 2008 playoffs. If Detroit isn't out of this world, or if Malkin plays a bit better, he has 2 rings. He certainly did his part.

Henke is on track to get in and should have done enough by the end of his career.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:33 PM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Hard to say. But Fleury had an amazing performance in the 2009 playoffs. It isn't as if he was along for the ride. He was the most important Penguin after Malkin, and probably Crosby too.
It's a biiiiiiig stretch to call Fleury's 2009 playoffs "amazing."

On the subject of Lundqvist, many hold his playoff performance against him. But I think as he plays more games his career numbers will improve. He has a very good chance of going deep into the playoffs in the next couple years.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:34 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Lundqvist is on pace to be enshrined. At worst I think his career will end up equalling Tony Esposito's, even without hardware.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
He'll eventually get his team out of the 2nd round right ?

All kidding aside if he plays even near this pace for the rest of his career, yes he will be. He's a top 3 goalie now and probably will be for the next 3-5 yrs.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:16 PM
barneyg

I'm a Pens fan, but I don't see Fleury in the HOF without a Vezina. The same holds for Lundqvist actually, if somehow he doesn't win it this year. You can obviously win the Vezina without ending up in the HOF but I don't think you can get in without one.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:45 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I'm a Pens fan, but I don't see Fleury in the HOF without a Vezina. The same holds for Lundqvist actually, if somehow he doesn't win it this year. You can obviously win the Vezina without ending up in the HOF but I don't think you can get in without one.
Gerry Cheevers.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote