HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Carey Price: What's he worth?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2012, 07:56 AM
  #101
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
It's too much work to say anything that isn't pure nectar in the ears of the fanboys. Trust me on that one. You can't criticize a single flaw in fundamentals/approach, or so much as suggest that success might be possible with a goalie other than Price... Too. Much. Work.

Having said that, I'm glad we have him instead of someone else. I'm like you, though, in that I wouldn't necessarily hold on to him for dear life. Niemi can help a good enough team win a Cup (neither Luongo nor Lundqvist has YET), and Halak can help a good enough team chase down the Red Wings for the President's Trophy. That's all I need to know about the threshold of importance when it comes to goaltending - and the need to invest large fractions of the cap in it - in the modern era.

As long as he's not up in the $5+ million realm, I couldn't be much happier with anyone else. Above that, and I'm at least wondering if there's a guy that might do a reasonably similar job for MUCH less money.
Price will be our Lundqvist. A constant steady force for years. He's just 24. He's the pillar and foundation of this franchise for the next decade, people better start getting this fact when analyzing the Habs future.

This year's stats are messed up by the fact that he plays in front of a piss ass team. Any goalie would suffer from that.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:20 AM
  #102
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,362
vCash: 50
While some of you will disagree, the top 10 goalies in the NHL are pretty much interchangeable to some degree. Looking at the present and the next 10 years, who would you trade straight up Price for? Short term, there are a few that seem better, but clearly they play on a better team. Guys like Rinne and Henrik seem to be on another planet, but unless they can push their teams to a cup run this year, you have to question their ability to get the ultimate job done. No one with a brain in their head would trade for Luongo or Thomas due to age and contract. Who's left? A poll on the big board asking if you'd trade your starter straight up for Price would be a good question.

Some of us here over value Price, that's for sure. However, it would be equally unwise to undervalue him.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:28 AM
  #103
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
Yah, because the difference between 5 million and 4.75 million (which is just a number i threw out there) is the same as the difference between 3.75 and 4.75 million. I could have said 5 million and you would probably not have gone off on a tangent. If we did business together i'd probably make you go bankrupt while i swim in my money like scrooge mcduck but that's another story.

Price will be an RFA, not an UFA..those goalies averaging 6.25 million got those contracts as unrestricted free agents and that's a big difference. The habs can give price 2.75 million on a one year contract pending arbitration if they wanted to because they'd have no competition from a team to "one up them" unless there's an offer sheet. 4.75 million for an RFA goalie is pretty darn good for Carey, how many goalies that have yet to become unrestricted make more than that (jaro makes 3.75)? Giving price a 2 million a year raise on a contract where he isn't an ufa for 2 more seasons after a season where he essentially regressed is a good deal for everyone. Fair MARKET value (see halak) for Price is 3.75 million right now, we give Price 2 million above market for 2 years, so he stays with the team for a longer period and a piece of mind that he'll be making damn good NHL money for 8 more seasons. 6 million for 5 seasons < 4.75 for 8 seasons is more money in carey's pocket in the end while the team gets a better cap hit. From Prices perspective In those 3 years (between the 5 year and 8 year contract) Price's game might drop off, he can become injury prone, who knows? But he's pocketing 8 million dollars more in the end regardless of that.

This is how a successful general manager thinks and functions. And if we can circumvent the cap by giving Price a 12 year deal like kovalchuk or something, i'd be all for it. The point i'm making is to lockup a franchise goalie to the lowest cap hit as possible while capitalizing on the fact that he's an RFA, coming off a mediocre season and the market rate for goalies like him aren't making all that much money. I'm a forward thinker, if i see a player that i think highly of have a bad year...i'd do my best to capitalize on that poor season by extending him to a contract based on that performance knowing full well that he'll bounce back saving you millions in the end. Waiting for players to have a career season before you give them a new contract is one of the most stupid thing you can do as a general manager and so many of them make this mistake.
Your avatar is General Manager?

Um. Have you considered that Price is a pro hockey player, a human being with ambition, and might want to win the Stanley cup, and might think he will not do that in Montreal, and might therefore refuse to sign a contract longer than 2 years? Gee. Guess not. Good managing there, General manager.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:32 AM
  #104
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 15,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
Carey Price (age 24) first 262 games of his career (starter in the NHL at age of 20).....2.56 gaa, .916 saves percentage

Other top goalies in the league:
Henrik Lundqvist (age 30) first 265 games (starter in the NHL at age 23)... .2.31 GAA .916 saves percentage

Ryan Miller (Age 31) first 264 games (starter in the NHL at age 25)... 2.62 GAA .910 saves percentage

Pekka Rinne (Age 29) first 231 games (starter in the NHL at age of 26) 2.33 GAA .922 saves percentage

Roberto Luongo (Age 32) first 266 games (starter in the NHL at age of 22) 2.64 GAA .920 saves percentage

Jon Quick (Age 26) first 234 games (starter in the NHL at age of 22) 2.32 GAA. .916 Saves percentage

Jimmy Howard (Age 27) first 182 games (starter in the NHL at age of 24) 2.42 GAA .917 saves percentage

Mikka Kiprusoff (Age 35) first 309 games (starter in the NHL at age of 28) 2.36 GAA .915 saves percentage

So these are essentially the top goalies in the league (i excluded Thomas because he's an anomaly), all of them became starters in the NHL much later than Price...and Price's stats are pretty comparable to ALL of them while being at the disadvantage of essentially starting right after junior when its common knowledge that a goalie doesn't start hitting his prime until around the age of 27-28.

Just for fun here are Brodeurs stats:
(Age 39) first 305 games (starter in the NHL at the age of 24), 2.17 GAA .915 saves percentage ... keep in mind he was playing the super trap devils too.
J-S Giguère first 237 games : sv% .914 GAA 2.39
Anti Freakin' Niemi first 151 games : sv% .915 GAA 2.38
Tuuka Rask first 101 games sv% : .926 GAA :2.20
N. Backstrom first 230 games sv% : .918 GAA : 2.26

I could continue but really, any decent #1 or future #1 has stats like these similar to these. The reason why they do is that if they don't, they tend to go back to the AHL.

Also, goalies tend to start their NHL careers later because it takes longer for goalies to develop. Price started his career really early. Many would say prematurely, more would say he was given the #1 spot 3-4 times before he had earned it (AHL playoffs, in his rookie season, and against Halak 2 years ago come to mind).

It isn't very smart to throw a goalie into the fire like this, most teams tend not to do that. The fact that we did doesn't really prove all that much about Price. Just look at Boston with Rask.

Even if you acknowledge that Price is precocious in his development - and despite what I said above I do think he is precocious - that still doesn't mean he'll keep rising and getting better. Progression isn't the same for everyone. Sometimes players peek early, and you wonder if they'll keep improving, but they never really do. There are tons of players who come into the league at all kinds of positions and tear it up early and people wonder when they'll stop improving at this rate. And sometimes they never really get that much better.

That list of yours did nothing for me. It's meaningless because it doesn't mean Price will continue rising exponentially without fail. And it's even more meaningless because that list can be expanded a lot to include well probably 10-15 goalies. And if you think about it, 10-15/30... well half the league has a goalie of that caliber or soon to be of that caliber which means that there's no reason to think that Price brings something really out of the ordinary to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
In conclusion those of you who are insinuating that Price is 'overrated' or not worth a long term deal, just take a look around you and understand that the BEST is yet to come...
Like the best is yet to come for MANY other goalies. Price is hardly an unique snowflake. Huge contracts are given to unique snowflakes. There's no point in paying through the roof for something that isn't that rare/hard to get. And that's why Price is overrated. People fail to understand that there are 30 #1 and that goalies keep getting better and better. Right now there are 15 guys who can have a top 5 season. In 5 years, maybe 20 guys can, in any given season, fight for top 5. So it's not just "Price in a nutshell", you gotta think a little bigger than that. What's the point of paying 6-7-8M for a goalie and to tie yourself to that person for 6-7-8 years? That's completely silly unless you're paying for consistency. A guy you know will always offer you about the same performance. Those are worth that kind of money. Price has yet to show that and IMO isn't worth that kind of money. There's a limit to what you should pay for untapped potential because untapped potential is just that and until it materializes into consistency, Price is just part of a group of 15 solid #1 starters. It's valuable, but not 6-7M valuable.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:44 AM
  #105
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think you're right. And I think this guy would be an absolute monster if he had guys like Webber or Chara or Lidstrom in front of him. He doesn't have this.

If we ever traded him (as some are suggesting we do) we'd regret it for the rest of his career. I can't see too many goalies (if any) that would do any better than he has for us on this club.

And uh, a little off topic but... we sure could use Ryan McD now. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'... if you know what I'm sayin'.
There's only one team where we wouldn't regret anything and, alas, it's the Flyers. Because that franchise is a goalie wrecking ball.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:51 AM
  #106
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?
 
dynastyREredux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: All over Canada
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post


I love Price as much as most Habs fan, but he's not a Top-5 goalie in the league --- at least not without serious consideration.

1. Tim Thomas
2. Henrik Lundqvist
3. Pekka Rinne

Those are the Top-3, IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no way you can rank Price so easily above;

Tukka Rask, Cory Schneider, Roberto Luongo, Jimmy Howard, Jonathan Quick, Jaroslav Halak -- Those guys are all right in the running with Price, IMO.

There are some other guys up there, but their age would all make them less interesting than Price. Or they are having a great season but need to prove it for another year or two before you can consider.
Most of the guys you listed are older than Carey yet they still haven't proven they can carry the load the way Carey can. If I'm going to build around a goalie or rate him very highly, I want him to be capable of playing 60-70 games every year. I'd be stunned to hear any organization would rather have guys like Rask, Schneider or even Halak before Price.

As for those talking about SV% and GAA, those are heavily team reliant. Not saying he's been great but it's pretty silly to compare his numbers to guys playing in St. Louis or Detroit.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:01 AM
  #107
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,370
vCash: 500
Again....how do we know FOR SURE without having any idea of how he'll conduct himself in the playoffs? We think, we predict, he will probably be as fine.....but do we know FOR SURE? If that happens that he's not that good, will he be the first GREAT regular season goalie that only becomes GOOD or AVERAGE when it counts the most?

Price's value is all about reality mixed with potential. But the potential needs to transform itself into reality. And that will come with the playoffs. Not entirely his fault, we all know that. But he has been drafted as a top 5 player in 2005. And chances are we will know a little bit of his worth in the playoffs in....2013. 'Cause right now it is inconclusive. Okay playoff in 07-08. Good playoffs in 10-11, yet, only a 7-games stint. Again, never entirely his fault, but in general his numbers aren't there AND/OR a lenghty period in the playoffs isn't there either. He will need a Halak run so that we'd start establishing his real value. And some kind of consistency as well. Thing is, he will have a contract before this happens. So what he will be paid, chances are it will NOT be his real value after all.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:48 AM
  #108
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,343
vCash: 500
Want it or not Price will get around $6M long term, here or elsewhere.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:50 AM
  #109
HeShootsHeScores
Registered User
 
HeShootsHeScores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 500
Price is worth having him in your team 10 more years. He can't be replaced.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:58 AM
  #110
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by price131 View Post
Most of the guys you listed are older than Carey yet they still haven't proven they can carry the load the way Carey can. If I'm going to build around a goalie or rate him very highly, I want him to be capable of playing 60-70 games every year. I'd be stunned to hear any organization would rather have guys like Rask, Schneider or even Halak before Price.

As for those talking about SV% and GAA, those are heavily team reliant. Not saying he's been great but it's pretty silly to compare his numbers to guys playing in St. Louis or Detroit.
These are the 3 key asset for Carey Price. Has a decent SA%, GA while playing 70 games. Add that to the fact that Price has a Defense made out of rookies and defensive liability PMD.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:18 AM
  #111
Young Gun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
I hope he doesn't get a Gomaz deal for longterm, and turn into a Gomaz or a Theodore.
He hasn't done enough to warrant and big contract yet, third periods, shootouts and playoffs are the worst in recent years of any habs goalie, maybe all the way back to the red light..lol

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:20 AM
  #112
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,965
vCash: 200
Ask Carey what he wants, then give it to him.

Pretty simple to me.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:28 AM
  #113
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 15,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
Price is worth having him in your team 10 more years. He can't be replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Ask Carey what he wants, then give it to him.

Pretty simple to me.
And that is why Carey Price is overrated. I rest my case.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:33 AM
  #114
HeShootsHeScores
Registered User
 
HeShootsHeScores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
And that is why Carey Price is overrated. I rest my case.
Not overrated, just a gifted goalie. He's gonna have better seasons than other, but he'll never reach 2nd goalie status, so it's safe to keep him here.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:36 AM
  #115
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,965
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
Not overrated, just a gifted goalie. He's gonna have better seasons than other, but he'll never reach 2nd goalie status, so it's safe to keep him here.
And the fact that he can handle the pressure, media and scrutiny in Montreal without going nuts is another reason to lock him up.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:38 AM
  #116
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,310
vCash: 500
6 mil per year for 6 years

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:49 AM
  #117
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,695
vCash: 500
Is Carey Price clutch in critical situations?

Answer:

Sometimes yes... but mostly no.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:08 AM
  #118
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
He was top 5 last year, but this year (or any other year) far from it. And we won't talk about the playoffs here because it only gets worse.

And no matter how much you wish the idiotic haters were wrong, that's the truth. Sorry.

Sure you're not overrating him at all...

That's where I draw the line. He's promising yes, and he has the athleticism, size and technique to become quite good but he's not there yet, and goalies are really fickle and hard to predict.

The blind faith in Price is ridiculous really. There's reason to be cautiously optimistic but I'd like to see a repeat of last season and a strong showing in the playoffs before giving him a crazy contract.
I don't see why it should fluctuate so wildly... If you considered him a top five goalie last year what has he done to drop out of it so badly now? Price hasn't had the best year but he hasn't been awful and considering the team he's behind he hasn't done badly at all.

6th best save percentage in the league career wise and he's 24. I don't see how he's not a top five goalie. Esp when you look at how many games he plays per year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post


I love Price as much as most Habs fan, but he's not a Top-5 goalie in the league --- at least not without serious consideration.

1. Tim Thomas
2. Henrik Lundqvist
3. Pekka Rinne

Those are the Top-3, IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no way you can rank Price so easily above;

Tukka Rask, Cory Schneider, Roberto Luongo, Jimmy Howard, Jonathan Quick, Jaroslav Halak -- Those guys are all right in the running with Price, IMO.

There are some other guys up there, but their age would all make them less interesting than Price. Or they are having a great season but need to prove it for another year or two before you can consider.
Do you think Price would do better or worse behind Shea Webber playing 25 mins a game? How much better would he be if he had Suter to go along with that?

Seriously man, it's nice to look at Rinne's numbers and say... hey look this goalie's great! But don't forget the D in front of him. Switch Rinne and Price's D.... how does that look now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Again....how do we know FOR SURE without having any idea of how he'll conduct himself in the playoffs? We think, we predict, he will probably be as fine.....but do we know FOR SURE? If that happens that he's not that good, will he be the first GREAT regular season goalie that only becomes GOOD or AVERAGE when it counts the most?
How can you know anything for sure? You ask for reason to believe though? I think he's given us that.

In his rookie year he played one good series and one bad one. (20 years old)
In his 2nd year he played behind an awful team that rolled over on him. (21 years old)
In his 3rd year he barely played. (22 years old)
In his 4th year he was stellar and forced the Bruins to 7 games. (23 years old)

Most goalies don't have ANY playoff experience at this age. Wouldn't you say that he showed enough last year to at least earn the benefit of the doubt?

He came into last season with a mountain of pressure and was amazing. This year behind the worst D in the league he's logged heavy ice and done reasonably well. He's not 25 yet. And he's handled playing in the pressure cooker like a champ. Certainly he's given us reason to believe in him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Price's value is all about reality mixed with potential. But the potential needs to transform itself into reality. And that will come with the playoffs. Not entirely his fault, we all know that. But he has been drafted as a top 5 player in 2005. And chances are we will know a little bit of his worth in the playoffs in....2013. 'Cause right now it is inconclusive. Okay playoff in 07-08. Good playoffs in 10-11, yet, only a 7-games stint. Again, never entirely his fault, but in general his numbers aren't there AND/OR a lenghty period in the playoffs isn't there either. He will need a Halak run so that we'd start establishing his real value. And some kind of consistency as well. Thing is, he will have a contract before this happens. So what he will be paid, chances are it will NOT be his real value after all.
If we want to see what Price can really do... we have to put a half decent team in front of him. You can't just chuck an AHL D in front of him throw him in the water and scream swim.

I know you're not suggesting that we do this but that's what happened this year. I'm telling you man, you take Price out of the picture this year and replace him with an average goalie... we're right there with Columbus. For all the talk about Price not stealing a game or not being superb, you put a lesser goalie in and we're toast. Look at what happens when we don't play him. We get smoked. There aren't many goalies that can shoulder the workload he has and still stay consistent.

I just get the feeling like folks are upset that he's not Dryden... He's never going to be Dryden. He's never going to be Roy. But he's a damn good goalie and he deserves appreciation for how good he is. I would absolutely take him over Luongo and several other top goalies. I don't see how he's not a top five guy in this league. Lundqvist and Thomas are the only two clear cut guys ahead of him. Quick is having a great year, Rinne has great numbers behind amazing D. But I'd be hard pressed to take either one of them over Price for the long haul.


Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-03-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:44 AM
  #119
GeneralManager*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMath View Post
Why don't you stop ''throwing numbers*'' and say the value you think Price would sign for ? Is it that hard ? It doesnt take 10 page to say that... or is it because you don't want to look like a fool in 4 month ??

We Agree that Price has franchise goalie potential ? He isn't there yet ... but he could become as good as the goalie you mentioned on that list right ?

Simple thing ... that I thought you would have realize a long time ago...

Why does all the Goalies* you mentioned ... havent tooktaken* a deal like the one you described ?? Cuz it's obviously not in their best interest...

Henrik Lundqvist as an Exemple example*.

Before signing ishis* big contract, took a 1 years deal @ 4.250 millionsmillion*.
Then sign 6 years @ 6.875 millionsmillion*

I would'nt wouldn't* be surprised if Carey follows* the same path. Signing a short term deal...take 1 season to prove he can get the job done... then sign the big contract.

For the last part ... thanks for pointing out*the obvious. That usually right there that his agent will say: Hello.right there is where his agent will say "Hello."*

Have fun Mr.Manager !!!
Before you try to sound intelligent perhaps you should to avoid making a punctuation/spelling/grammatical error after every 3 words, but i digress.

I did give you a number, i said 4.75 million a year...i also said the difference between 4.75 and 5 million is negligible if you give enough term, heck i'd go all the way up to 5.75 million a year. But the point is that i start at 4.75 and squeeze every dollar to lower the cap hit by adding term. I won't look like a fool in 4 months, why? Because this is MY thought process...a guy MUCH more cerebral than you.

What part of giving a player a 2 million dollar raise while he's an RFA and coming off a mediocre season do you not understand? That 2 million dollar raise should influence the contract in regards to his UFA years by dropping the total cap hit by a million or so. As an UFA Price should get 5.75 million EASILY, as an RFA (see HALAK) he should get under 3.75 million because he's proven less...oh my goodness common sense?

Based on a 4 year deal: 3.75 (RFA)+3.75 (RFA) + 5.75 (UFA) + 5.75 (UFA) = Cap Hit of 4.75 million (OMG LOOK HOW THE CAP HIT IS UNDER 5 million)

Based on a 8 year deal: Add above + 5.75 (UFA) + 5.75 (UFA) + 5.75 (UFA) + 5.75 (UFA) = Cap Hit of 5.25 million

How about giving price 6 million during his UFA years?

Based on a 4 year deal: 3.75 (RFA)+3.75 (RFA) + 6 (UFA) + 6 (UFA) = Cap Hit of 4.88 million

Based on a 8 year deal: Add above + 6 (UFA) + 6 (UFA) + 6 (UFA) + 6 (UFA) = Cap hit of 5.4 million

How about Lundqvist money (6.875 million) during his UFA years, a player which has proven much more?

Based on a 4 year deal: 3.75 (RFA)+3.75 (RFA) + 6.875 (UFA) + 6.875 (UFA) = Cap hit of 5.3 million

Based on a 8 year deal: Add above + 6.875 (UFA) + 6.875 (UFA) + 6.875 (UFA) + 6 .875(UFA) = Cap hit of 6.1 million

But then we can go into clear cap circumvention tactics by loading up the contract in the middle parts of it and giving something significantly less in the final 2 or so years.

Based on a 10 year deal: 3.75 (RFA)+ 3.75 (RFA) + 6.875 (UFA) + 6.875 (UFA)+ 6.875 (UFA)+ 6.875 (UFA)+ 6.875 (UFA)+ 6.875 (UFA)+ 2.5 (UFA)+ 2.5 (UFA) = Cap hit of 5.38 million

This is my thought process, a thought process of a winner.

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:54 AM
  #120
GeneralManager*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Your avatar is General Manager?

Um. Have you considered that Price is a pro hockey player, a human being with ambition, and might want to win the Stanley cup, and might think he will not do that in Montreal, and might therefore refuse to sign a contract longer than 2 years? Gee. Guess not. Good managing there, General manager.
Um GeneralManager is my username, not my avatar...genius.

Carey Price is a pro hockey player? Wow, really? Goalies count?
He's a human being? I thought he was some kind of extraterrestrial from a distant universe? He has ambition? I'm flabbergasted! What the hell was the point of this nonsensical dribble? Should we not discuss Carey Price's contract because he's a human being with emotions? Wow, i'm a terrible manager. GOOD GOD!

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:06 PM
  #121
ProMath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
Before you try to sound intelligent perhaps you should to avoid making a punctuation/spelling/grammatical error after every 3 words, but i digress. Thanks for the lesson, it's one of the reason why I'm here

For the rest, well... lol. No need to discuss any further, you're a winner !!

ProMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:14 PM
  #122
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,638
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
I'd be happy with something like 3 years 16 millions.


I love him but I wouldn't sign him for too long.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:16 PM
  #123
Hero
Raptors 13/14
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,859
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
He hasn't shown much. Even 5M per would be pushing it imho.
Plus he's an RFA

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:28 PM
  #124
GeneralManager*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMath View Post
For the rest, well... lol. No need to discuss any further, you're a winner !!
I'm the HF mvp.

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:38 PM
  #125
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?
 
dynastyREredux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: All over Canada
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Plus he's an RFA
Well that's fine on a short term contract but we won't buy up UFA years at RFA prices. If we sign him at a year or 2, save money and have him "prove himself" people will whine endlessly when he leaves or gets an even more massive deal as a pending UFA.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.