HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, College, International, Other) *Part VI*

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2012, 09:50 AM
msv957

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
No worry guys, Kreider is just bored again.

He will still come join the team for the playoffs and score at a point per game ratio, likely a goal a game ratio.

And while BC is a good college, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Kreider still has a ton of work left. Torts is going to eat that kid alive if he comes to the Rangers and plays as bad as he does away from the puck like he does in BC, and that means in all 3 areas. I know its tough to hear, but yes Kreider is not perfect and has flaws. He's not the most motivated player on the ice.
Agreed. Torts is great coach for keeping players and especially young players accountable. Kreider is coming into a perfect situation to succeed going to one of the best teams in the NHL that is surrounded by quality NHL talent and veterans. Torts will hold Kreider accountable which will only help Kreider adjust to the NHL rapidly.

Old
03-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Why is it that player sometimes play better in the NHL than at the college level?

Old
03-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Why is it that player sometimes play better in the NHL than at the college level?
There are varying reasons, but the most pronounced one would be that the college game is very physical and defensive minded. A great deal of the goals come exclusively on the power play, so if you are a speedy north-south player, unless you play in the correct system (like Yale) for that kind of a player, you will not fit perfectly in the system and not score very much.

The NCAA is also a lot better than the days where Paul Kariya and Brian Leetch would decimate it for a year at age 18 and then move on. You don't see that kind of thing any more because the player quality all around is much higher. If nothing else it speaks very strongly for the progress that USA hockey has made in terms of developing quality in young players.

03-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Dorado*

So the NYR system being physical and defensive minded fits Kreider how then ?
He's a jewel of a prospect physically speaking but unless the NYR eventually plan on becoming a team that opens up and plays end to end trade chances hockey CK going to have to make major changes to his game .

Old
03-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Big thing Kreider has going for him right now is his ability to make something out of nothing, as well as his progress in international tournaments like the World Championships.

We won't know for sure until he hits the ice just what kind of relationship he and Tortorella are going to have.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:40 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
He's a jewel of a prospect physically speaking but unless the NYR eventually plan on becoming a team that opens up and plays end to end trade chances hockey CK going to have to make major changes to his game .
Gaborik certainly has made changes to his game from being very open and offensive minded...Kreider can certainly do it to. Kreider is a young guy and will be eager to learn what it means to be successful at the pro level and Tortorella will do fine with that.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Big thing Kreider has going for him right now is his ability to make something out of nothing, as well as his progress in international tournaments like the World Championships.

We won't know for sure until he hits the ice just what kind of relationship he and Tortorella are going to have.
Fair enough . It's all wait and see . As constructed unless CK , shows solid effort along the boards and is a wrecking ball on the forecheck
it could be a rocky relationship . Of all places the PP and in the slot should be easiest place for CK to transition to tue Pro game . Under Torts if he glides and looks for cookies and breakaways he will not see much ice , atvkeast until the NYR infuse some more skill players into the lineup over the next few years and play a game predicated upon passing and skating rather than puck retrieval by physicality

Old
03-03-2012, 10:45 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Gaborik certainly has made changes to his game from being very open and offensive minded...Kreider can certainly do it to. Kreider is a young guy and will be eager to learn what it means to be successful at the pro level and Tortorella will do fine with that.
I agree with both of these assessments. I think Kreider will have to put in some work when he gets to NY/Hartford, but he has a great work ethic and is an accountable kid. His on-ice motor can be questionable at times, but in my opinion this is not due to a lack of desire. I am confident Torts and the locker room will push him and that he will respond well.

03-03-2012, 10:57 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Under Torts if he glides and looks for cookies and breakaways he will not see much ice ,
To me, it is definitely not about gliding to "look for cookies and breakways". The "effort" concerns are driven by two things - style and ability to constantly read the play.

Stylistically he is not a 100% balls-to-the-wall player like Cally or Hagelin and never will be. He is much closer to Gabby stylistically in terms of using his speed, picking his spots and appearing out of nowhere. Realistically this is not going to change much, but if anything will it is watching guys like Cally busting his rear every shift.

In terms of reading the play, he can definitely make a good pass when he has the puck on his stick. Where Kreider can struggle is in transition game IMO. He is often a half second to slow in deciding to jump up ice or get back; his great skating often allows him to overcompensate with no ill-affect. At the pro level this ability will be minimized. Again, I think this is where the coaching staff and veteran leadership will be able to help Chris. In just a few years we have seen Del Zotto's ability to read the play increase exponentially.

TL;DR:
Long story short it is not about work ethic, or floating in the traditional sense. He's got work to do, but I am confident in the current environment he will be placed into either this season or next. Much more confident than I would have been about his ability to develop with the big club even 2 or 3 years ago.

Old
03-03-2012, 11:13 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
To me, it is definitely not about gliding to "look for cookies and breakways". The "effort" concerns are driven by two things - style and ability to constantly read the play.

Stylistically he is not a 100% balls-to-the-wall player like Cally or Hagelin and never will be. He is much closer to Gabby stylistically in terms of using his speed, picking his spots and appearing out of nowhere. Realistically this is not going to change much, but if anything will it is watching guys like Cally busting his rear every shift.

In terms of reading the play, he can definitely make a good pass when he has the puck on his stick. Where Kreider can struggle is in transition game IMO. He is often a half second to slow in deciding to jump up ice or get back; his great skating often allows him to overcompensate with no ill-affect. At the pro level this ability will be minimized. Again, I think this is where the coaching staff and veteran leadership will be able to help Chris. In just a few years we have seen Del Zotto's ability to read the play increase exponentially.

TL;DR:
Long story short it is not about work ethic, or floating in the traditional sense. He's got work to do, but I am confident in the current environment he will be placed into either this season or next. Much more confident than I would have been about his ability to develop with the big club even 2 or 3 years ago.
Good post. Kreider will have a tremendous advantage over other hot shot prospects coming into the NHL. There is plenty of veteran leadership and coaching that will help Kreider make this a good transition. He will not be learning the NHL on his own.

I think this is a big reason why we have seen very few if any recent Ranger prospects bust the past few years or so. The coaching and veteran leadership makes the transition for prospects into the NHL very smooth.

Old
03-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Kreider is on TV again tonight.

03-03-2012, 03:33 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
What game did you watch . Several BC players looked much more motivated , hounded the puck and made plays last night .
Kreider better be prepared to use
his body and not just float around
waiting for cookies

I like the idea of the kid DGMW , but I'm nOt wearing Kreider homer
goggles and from what I've seen in 3 or 4 games is a player if he
doesn't have the puck , in either a scoring area or open ice is unmotivated and pretty useless . For someone as big and fast as him he could be separating people from the puck at will .
Youve seen him 3-4 times and you think youre qualified to make an assessment to be taken seriously?

The comparison to Wheeler and Kassian is all anyone needs to read. You don't know the player.

There are people who see him play every game he's played since he was at Masconomet before he went to Andover.

And according to those people, who also get paid for their input, have the complete opposite assessment.

Old
03-03-2012, 03:35 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I didn't watch the game last night because I had to record the Ranger game on my DVR and couldn't record both games at the same time. I was going to record the later airing of the BC game, but when I checked and saw that Kreider didn't register any points, I decided not to watch the game..... With no Rangers hockey on TV tonight I am going to watch tonight's game, it's on CBSSN, which most cable providers offer. Lets all watch the game tonight and compare notes later.

Old
03-03-2012, 03:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Except, that he's ALREADY played in a defensive role his first two years at BC.

Again, if you knew the player beyond the 3-4 times you've seen him, you'd know that he plays in EVERY game situation. Including the PK. Where he has scored several goals.

The fact you don't know that he's a physical player and a two way player is telling enough.

You're on a crusade here, though, you aren't privy to the player.

Old
03-03-2012, 03:45 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
As for the pass JG snuck behind the D and CK just pushed it to him hardly an epic play that to be honest any player on the ice could make .
The pass was much more than just a "push". It was a very good pass from the half-wall out to center ice. If I can find video on it, I will post it.

Old
03-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

the game is going to be on tonight? what channel?

Old
03-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
the game is going to be on tonight? what channel?
Someone please tell... I'd like to watch it.

Old
03-03-2012, 05:40 PM
E Nixson