HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

St Patricks Day in Montreal

Old
03-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Mustang2750

vCash: 500
St Patricks Day in Montreal

Hey all, Isles/Habs fan here from NY and my friends and I realized the Isles and Habs are playing in MTL March 17th so we decided to take our annual trip up there that weekend.

Being an Irish guy that loves beer this will be my first time out of NY for St Patricks Day. I was wondering how good the.celebrations are up there and if I should expect to see a ton of people out in their St Pats attire drinking and partying the same way I do here. I am assuming all the bars around Crescent street hold St Patricks Day celebrations all day/night? Would that be the.best area to drink party and some st patties day fun? Is it as big of a party in MTL as it is down here in NY?

Ps. You have to understand this is my favorite holiday of the year which is why I am asking these questions haha. I did post in the what to do in mtl thread but since this will be my 4th time there I pretty much know the area...just more concerned about the celebration.

Anyways thanks for any info you guys can give. I love your city and can't wait to go to the game! Speaking of which I noticed ticket prices are very high as opposed to other weekend games. Is St Patties a big tourist weekend in Montreal?

Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:22 PM
dustyrockon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Hey all, Isles/Habs fan here from NY and my friends and I realized the Isles and Habs are playing in MTL March 17th so we decided to take our annual trip up there that weekend.

Being an Irish guy that loves beer this will be my first time out of NY for St Patricks Day. I was wondering how good the.celebrations are up there and if I should expect to see a ton of people out in their St Pats attire drinking and partying the same way I do here. I am assuming all the bars around Crescent street hold St Patricks Day celebrations all day/night? Would that be the.best area to drink party and some st patties day fun? Is it as big of a party in MTL as it is down here in NY?

Ps. You have to understand this is my favorite holiday of the year which is why I am asking these questions haha. I did post in the what to do in mtl thread but since this will be my 4th time there I pretty much know the area...just more concerned about the celebration.

Anyways thanks for any info you guys can give. I love your city and can't wait to go to the game! Speaking of which I noticed ticket prices are very high as opposed to other weekend games. Is St Patties a big tourist weekend in Montreal?
You should deffinatly come to Hurley's on Crescent, its been a renowned Irish pub in Montreal for over 19 years. I will also be working there all three days of St. Patricks weekend. And you better believe that it will be insanely busy along crescent all weekend, especially the day of the parade. Not sure which day that is...

Hurleys has three bars, two stages with live music all night. Downstairs usually Irish themed music, upstairs varies. There is also another bar upstairs famously known as the Rec Room (sports room), which will be showing the Rugby Finals - Ireland Vs England at 3pm.

Also if Hurleys doesn't suit you and your buddies when you come down, just across the street on Bishop street you will find the Irish Embassy which is also a very well known Irish bar in Montreal. I suggest not going seeing as they are our rivals.

Anyways hope you have a great time, and I hope this helped you out a bit.

Last edited by dustyrockon: 03-02-2012 at 12:29 PM.
dustyrockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Mustang2750

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrockon View Post
You should deffinatly come to Hurley's on Crescent, its been a renowned Irish pub in Montreal for over 19 years. I will also be working there all three days of St. Patricks weekend. And you better believe that it will be insanely busy along crescent all weekend, especially the day of the parade. Not sure which day that is...

Hurleys has three bars, two stages with live music all night. Downstairs usually Irish themed music, upstairs varies. There is also another bar upstairs famously known as the Rec Room (sports room), which will be showing the Rugby Finals - Ireland Vs England at 3pm.

Also if Hurleys doesn't suit you and your buddies when you come down, just across the street on Bishop street you will find the Irish Embassy which is also a very well known Irish bar in Montreal. I suggest not going seeing as they are our rivals.

Anyways hope you have a great time, and I hope this helped you out a bit.
Awesome thanks! I'm not sure if I've ever been to Hurleys in the times I've been to Montreal but ill def have to come check it out. Irish music floor sounds great. I recall going to Thursdays and Winnies/Churchills a few times but like I said never on st patties day. Will give Hurleys a shot this time.

Old
03-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Et le But

Quote:

As someone who has lived in both Long Island and Montreal...you won't be disappointed.

St. Pat's in Montreal might not have the sheer scale that New York or Chicago have, but it rivals any city in insanity considering how concentrated all the bars are.

As you said, Crescent is the main area, but be warned everywhere gets crowded early. Off of Crescent I recommend Le Vieux Dublin on Cathcart off Saint Catherlines and University, it's always crazy for St. Pat's and has live music.

But yeah, it's a big tourist weekend, so the earlier you get out the better.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:37 PM
dustyrockon

Quote:
Awesome thanks! I'm not sure if I've ever been to Hurleys in the times I've been to Montreal but ill def have to come check it out. Irish music floor sounds great. I recall going to Thursdays and Winnies/Churchills a few times but like I said never on st patties day. Will give Hurleys a shot this time.
Yeah those are awesome bars to go drink at, but you'll see Hurley's is actually huge, it looks small at first glance from the street but oh will you be surprised once inside.

There will also be a terass in the back covered by some sort of tent. From what I've been told... with heat lamps. Its going to be crazy haha.

I've only been working as a busboy there a couple months, and I've experienced a couple busy nights, but they've told me St. Patties will be "insane".

P.S. The Mens washroom is downstairs by the main staircase. You have no idea how many people ask me. lol

Old
03-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrockon View Post
Yeah those are awesome bars to go drink at, but you'll see Hurley's is actually huge, it looks small at first glance from the street but oh will you be surprised once inside.

There will also be a terass in the back covered by some sort of tent. From what I've been told... with heat lamps. Its going to be crazy haha.

I've only been working as a busboy there a couple months, and I've experienced a couple busy nights, but they've told me St. Patties will be "insane".

P.S. The Mens washroom is downstairs by the main staircase. You have no idea how many people ask me. lol
If anything that's an understatement. Good luck.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:40 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:

I want to issue a challenge. Try walking 5 minutes in downtown Montreal without spotting an Irish Pub

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Mustang2750

Thanks for all the information!

Old
03-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
If you cant get into a pub, on st pattys you can always just brownbag it on the street. cops dont care unless you are really out of line. Places like Hurleys fill up really early, the guy who works there should know, but I think they start with a breakfast at like 10am on st pattys.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:03 PM
dustyrockon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
If you cant get into a pub, on st pattys you can always just brownbag it on the street. cops dont care unless you are really out of line. Places like Hurleys fill up really early, the guy who works there should know, but I think they start with a breakfast at like 10am on st pattys.
Yeah well on regular weekends, it fills up around 11:30 until about 2-2:30 when it slowly dies down, because we begin to close the upstairs bars.

But surely on St. Patties day it'll be full by early afternoon, but people will be coming and going, bar hopping all day/night.

Our capacity is just over 600 I believe, so that's alot of people.

And yes they do have a breakfast, I think its earlier then 10 however. I work tomorrow night so I can try and find out more info. Just ask on here and I'll do my best to find out at work and retain the info by 5am. haha

Old
03-02-2012, 05:05 PM
guest1467

Oooooohhhhh, this didn't even register in my mind.

So stoked, definitely partaking.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:32 AM
TheBourkeIdentity

I'm a little out of touch with the Irish scene these days (used to practically live at Hurley's back in its early days), but keep in mind that the big party day is usually parade day rather than St Patty's itself. The parade is usually held on the nearest Sunday to the 17th.

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Habs13

Montreal is INSANE for St.Pats - my friends and I put money aside all year for the debauchery that is St.Pats in Montreal. Mwaahaha!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:53 AM
guest1467

Trying to think of what my costume is going to be.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Mustang2750

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageHF View Post
I'm a little out of touch with the Irish scene these days (used to practically live at Hurley's back in its early days), but keep in mind that the big party day is usually parade day rather than St Patty's itself. The parade is usually held on the nearest Sunday to the 17th.
Hahaha yup! Already took off Friday through Monday when I realized the parade was Sunday!

Old
03-03-2012, 10:56 AM
justsomeguy

Best party in town that day starts early and there may not be any Irish involved.

Montreal Impact home opener. For crowd atmosphere it's gonna be the best event of the year in these parts. Starts @ 2PM against Chicago Fire. 40 000 or more cheering for a team that still has reason to be optimistic.

Guarantee that the Bell Centre atmosphere that day will pale in comparison.

justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote