HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official GDT: PIT @ NYR 2/1/06

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
I find it funny that Pens fans are crying about the "Crosby Sucks" chants. I wonder if the crying would be as bad if we chanted "g0d sucks". We were called classless because of that chant. WOW. Pens fans must be angels if they found that classless.

BTW...CROSBY SUCKS!!!
heh. welcome to hockey, pens fans.

i'm not big on heckling and all, but it's hardly "classless", it's just sports. it's normal. pens fans are just touchy about crosby

Old
02-02-2006, 07:43 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil333
*** are you complaining about? We have a winning team for once.
Does that mean that we should stick our heads in the sand and sing ***-Bya?
The bottom line is that a win is a win is a win. However, this was not a very pretty game by the Rangers. There are a lot of things that are noteworthy.
First, let's address the toughness issue. I think that it is a disgrace that NO ONE as much as laid a finger on Armstrong. He was allowed to whack Lundquist in the prior game, with nary a response from the Rangers. No one as much as looked his way. And last night, Cory friggin' Cross was allowed to abuse Jagr on a few occasions. It is time for Renney to take his head out of the sand and realize that the NHL did not quite become another Eurpean league like he thought it would. A terrible, terrible message was sent when our two most important players were allowed to get abused by the Pens of all teams. Strudwick is in the friggin lineup for a reason. He should have challenged both Armstrong and Cross. It's not like what he (Strudwick) brings to the table is not easily replaced. He is not a good defenseman but he can drop the gloves. Penalties be dammed when you allow Henke and Jagr to get abused. If not challenge the players, then Renney should have sent out a message and had one of the forwards steamroll Fleury and Crosby. And if a penalty results, so be it.
Speaking of penalties, 6 more obstruction minors. By now it is safe to say that Renney is unable to get his players to play with discipline.
Can we please, please bring back the long-lost concept of line-matching? This is also squarely on Renney. He gets outcoached in every single game. The fact that the Rangers have still been winning, is despite Renney's coaching on gameday. I made the comparison of Herman Edwards and am sticking with it. Renney is a good teacher and motivator. For the most part, he prepares the team very well. However, once the puck drops on gamenight, Renney retreats into a shell. He is either incapable or unwilling to make the necessary adjustments. He allows every single visiting team to have whatever line matchups that they want.
And finally, where did he come up with these frigign' line combinations. Where did he get the idea of Ward playing center, Hossa playing in Prucha's natural position and Prucha out of position? Why is Prucha constantly being played out of position? Why is our second leading goalscorer not playing on the top two lines? Why do Rucinsky and Sykora have more ice time than him? Why is our second leading goalscorer on the PP have less PP time than any other forward? Why do either Rucinsky or Sykora get to play on the 2nd line, but Prucha does not?

Old
02-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
heh. welcome to hockey, pens fans.

i'm not big on heckling and all, but it's hardly "classless", it's just sports. it's normal. pens fans are just touchy about crosby
Exactly. You'd have thought we were having Who Can Soak a Crosby Jersey in the Most Urine contest between periods.

Old
02-02-2006, 07:58 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Does that mean that we should stick our heads in the sand and sing ***-Bya?
The bottom line is that a win is a win is a win. However, this was not a very pretty game by the Rangers. There are a lot of things that are noteworthy.
First, let's address the toughness issue. I think that it is a disgrace that NO ONE as much as laid a finger on Armstrong. He was allowed to whack Lundquist in the prior game, with nary a response from the Rangers. No one as much as looked his way. And last night, Cory friggin' Cross was allowed to abuse Jagr on a few occasions. It is time for Renney to take his head out of the sand and realize that the NHL did not quite become another Eurpean league like he thought it would. A terrible, terrible message was sent when our two most important players were allowed to get abused by the Pens of all teams. Strudwick is in the friggin lineup for a reason. He should have challenged both Armstrong and Cross. It's not like what he (Strudwick) brings to the table is not easily replaced. He is not a good defenseman but he can drop the gloves. Penalties be dammed when you allow Henke and Jagr to get abused. If not challenge the players, then Renney should have sent out a message and had one of the forwards steamroll Fleury and Crosby. And if a penalty results, so be it.
Speaking of penalties, 6 more obstruction minors. By now it is safe to say that Renney is unable to get his players to play with discipline.
Can we please, please bring back the long-lost concept of line-matching? This is also squarely on Renney. He gets outcoached in every single game. The fact that the Rangers have still been winning, is despite Renney's coaching on gameday. I made the comparison of Herman Edwards and am sticking with it. Renney is a good teacher and motivator. For the most part, he prepares the team very well. However, once the puck drops on gamenight, Renney retreats into a shell. He is either incapable or unwilling to make the necessary adjustments. He allows every single visiting team to have whatever line matchups that they want.
And finally, where did he come up with these frigign' line combinations. Where did he get the idea of Ward playing center, Hossa playing in Prucha's natural position and Prucha out of position? Why is Prucha constantly being played out of position? Why is our second leading goalscorer not playing on the top two lines? Why do Rucinsky and Sykora have more ice time than him? Why is our second leading goalscorer on the PP have less PP time than any other forward? Why do either Rucinsky or Sykora get to play on the 2nd line, but Prucha does not?
T.B.: I couldn't agree more. We've talked about these issues for the last few games. Brooks in the Post also has an article today on the toughness issue. Must agree with his article

Old
02-02-2006, 08:02 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate
T.B.: I couldn't agree more. We've talked about these issues for the last few games. Brooks in the Post also has an article today on the toughness issue. Must agree with his article
Toughness is only an issue if you make it an issue... otherwise, we haven't been losing games or being inured often because of our lack of "toughness". This team seems more disciplined, and if taking reactionary shots which would most undoubtedly lead to penalties is being tough, I'd rather have my team not be so "tough".

Old
02-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
pens fans are just touchy about crosby
Pens fans are turning into a bunch of Crosbys.

For the most part, I didn't like what I saw last night. TB hit on the real hot spots. Mist distrubing though was that Orpiks and Armstrong didn't get as much as a dirty look from someone in blue until after the game ended and Jagr finally handled the situation himself. What happen to this team's stick-together-ness? It was really sad.

The line combos and game strategy were just bizarre.

I also think we missed a golden opportunity to get Weekes back on track in this game. Renney's now almost forced to start him tonight against the team that probably started Kevin's downfall.

Old
02-02-2006, 08:03 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate
The lack of a response is only one of the issues. There are more than just that. I really am beginning to question the way that Renney handles the team on gamenight. There are more than enough things to make you scratch your head. He seems to be great right up until the point that he needs to make up lines for the game. Then it all goes downhill.

Old
02-02-2006, 08:07 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
Toughness is only an issue if you make it an issue... otherwise, we haven't been losing games or being inured often because of our lack of "toughness".
There were definitely a couple of opportunites last night to lose one of our top players. Rucinsky getting his ribs crushed into the dasher and Sykora getting run at and chucked across center ice stick in my mind as the most obvious ones. There's different ways to address those situations, but ignoring them isn't one.

Old
02-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Fletch

Even with a deterrent...

I see those guys still getting tossed around a bit.

And the question was, why was Jagr on the ice at the end of the game? Renney made a mistake there - with 30 seconds left, why put your #1 PP unit out there when up by two goals and the only thing that can happen is something undesirable. The third and fourth lines should be the ones playing in the final minute+ when the Rangers are up.

Old
02-02-2006, 08:29 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
That's fine. However, the whold "turn-the-other cheek" philospy has to go. A "message" may involve running Fluery and Crosby, penalties be dammed. You start to run the other teams top players, that may be just as effective as a "deterrent".

Old
02-02-2006, 08:56 AM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch

And the question was, why was Jagr on the ice at the end of the game? Renney made a mistake there - with 30 seconds left, why put your #1 PP unit out there when up by two goals and the only thing that can happen is something undesirable. The third and fourth lines should be the ones playing in the final minute+ when the Rangers are up.
he acknowledged his mistake in today's newsday, basically saying jagr shouldn't have been on the ice.

Old
02-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Fletch

Didn't see it...

that's good - but this isn't the first time we've seen Jagr in a game inside the final minute of games that were essentially already decided. Renney seems to learn from his mistakes - hopefully this time he won't do that again.

Closed Thread