HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Racism in Hockey?

Old
03-03-2012, 12:12 AM
michaelshu

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Racism in Hockey?

So, i found out that there are a group of expats playing every tuesday and i visited and ask if i could join.. they said that they don't accept asian players. They also said that they play pretty hardcore, so I stayed and watch the game... turns out that they're mostly 35+ and play with no contact.. i'm not sure what they mean by "hardcore"

By the end of the game, i tried to talk to another guy who was Canadian and he joked something about asians should not play this kind of game.
Do you guys think that was racist? Or he just didn't like me? They could've just said that they are full, and I'll be fine with it.. but saying stuff like that is not cool in my opinion.

So, any of you guys have experienced something similar? What did you guys do?

PS: I'm not trying to bash Canadians, in fact i love Canadians, i've known a lot of Canadians, they're one of the most friendliest people on earth! Well, except for this one...

Cheers!

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Big Phil

Was he doing it "tongue in cheek"? In other words was he kidding but sort of made what could be deemed an offensive joke inadvertantly? Sounds awfully bold to say with a straight face.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:04 AM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
"don't accept asian players." - Racist

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:23 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
That's super racist. I wouldn't want to play with those guys anyways, sounds like they'd be more than happy to take a cheap shot against you and maybe your so-called teammates wouldn't back you up. Sorry to hear about that experience, I come from a very multicultural area of Canada where 50-60% of the league is Asian, and the rest is mostly white or otherwise. We all get along great and I don't ever see any discrimination.

I'm also white, so I realize I'm not going to have many incidents where I experience racism firsthand. Makes me sad to think that my countrymen, living in Indonesia, would act like that. I hope you can find someone else to play with over there.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:34 AM
Man Bear Pig

That's pretty ****ing racist. I couldn't imagine someone telling me that because I'm white I couldn't play a game. You should try and join the league and ****ing school them. I actually remember when I boxed I had a black guy tell me that "white boys can't scrap". I'm sorry what did you say? I couldn't hear you when your face hit the mat. Anyways, you should have asked them if they've ever heard of this guy named Paul Kariya. Or Richard Park. Or Brandon Yip. Or Devon Setoguchi.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 03:59 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Nope. Wasn't like this in Shanghai. You must've gotten quite unlucky and ran into a group of asswipes.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:55 AM
vapor11

Are you a beginner to hockey and did you explain this to them? I am sure that had more to do with it then being Asian..

No offense(everybody has to start somewhere) but if they play a competitive game they probably are not willing to take on beginners upsetting the flow of the game..

Find a different group

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:46 AM
madmutter
I heff to be med

I'm going to pay devil's advocate here a little bit. Is it possible that the policy isn't "no Asians" exactly but more like "Canadians only"? If the purpose of this weekly game is to get together with some other people from home and do something you do at home because you are homesick then that might put it in a light that isn't as offensive.
Even if that is the case though statements like "Asians shouldn't play hockey" are rude, ignorant, wrong and yes, racist.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:47 AM
hyster110

if its their ice time and they rent it, they can say what ever they want and let who ever they want play, sounds to me like it was a ****** excuse, when they wanted to say no only us.

does it suck, yes but people are like that, find another group

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Droid6

At the least they were trying to blow you off in a humorous (to them) way. They sound like cocky dick-heads and you're probably better off that they declined when you asked them to join their team. I wish there was more diversity in hockey for the simple fact that I think hockey is the best sport in the world and the more people involved the better.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They're racists but I don't think it's a cultural epidemic.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Droid6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I don't like calling anybody racist because you never truly know what's in their heart, most people I know that say racist **** on occasion don't mean it and they just think it's funny to say distasteful ****. I love racial jokes, that doesn't mean I have hate in my heart for any race. Sounds like these guys are just a little ignorant and don't recognize when they are crossing the line, I doubt they truly hate asians.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:25 PM
r3cc0s

Completely Racist! but I know where he's coming from
its somewhat true though... most asians can't play hockey well nor sports in general.

Not many "hard" asian's really... this includes even East Indians

I'm Chinese, but I'm first gen and grew up playing hockey, football, soccer and the like
however I was somewhat a disgrace to my mother, as I spent more of my time playing sports than taking "typical" piano lessons and "studying" lol

I still did well enough in school, I grew up in Winnipeg and ther were only like 2 chinese kids in my school, so I grew up pretty much 100% "Canadian" and somehow managed to keep up and grew to 6' tall, though my parents are tiny peeps.

in Short, there are MANY good young "Asian" (oriental, or Indo) hockey players these days. I live in Calgary now, and in the North East, which is a predominantly a multi-cultural area, are pumping out really excellent hockey players out of their Minor hockey association.
mind you many of these "multi-cultural" kids these days are 1st or 2nd gen Canadian

So in this City, I have never seen anyone "judge" someone for being ethnic

That being said... there are also many many asian people who haven't ever played the game and being later in life somewhat have the disposable income to blow on the most expensive equipment, but won't spend it or time on lessons lol
This is the same with Golf, and never get stuck behind an old "Asian" foursome, especially if there are old women there.

"maybe" once in a while I see some racism on the ice, some idiot will try to pick me out... but I usually show em up by playing hard relentless hockey, and have no problems picking up the physicality and intensity if it requires. (most people haven't played "real" competitive sports, let alone play defence in CIS football)

a while back, I was stretching by my bench, and this dude on the other team skates by the red line and says: "Keep your head up, or its coming off"... "make sure your chin strap it tight"

so... sure enough I tell ole' cap that I want to be on the ice when he's on...
I was playing Center, but decided to switch it up with my left d' man and his team dumped it in and we're chasing in for the corner... I look back and can tell he was going to paste me in the numbers, but I'm a better, faster skate... and right before I get to the puck, I brake... which is "bad" cause I could get boarded, but I just side step him, he doesn't really slow, and he lines himself into the glass, and I for good measure, as touch the puck and transition with some speed right into him HARD and knock the wind right out of him

I look down and said, just try to keep brining it buddy, I'll be here.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Stickmata

Agree that it was a disgusting thing to say, joke or not, but private pickup groups, in general, do not allow people in without an invitation from someone already in the group and there's sometimes some sensitivity about that among the players.

A good snarky comeback would have been something like "oh, I thought maybe you were just full, I didn't realize you were all from the 18th century."

One of the best players in our entire league is a young Asian guy who would probably have made all those guys look like fools.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
Quite the contrary. Almost all the Asian players I know who plays hockey in Taiwan or Shanghai are really good players. Most people either pick up the sports when they're really young or never pick it up at all.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:18 PM
neksys

Now you have the motivation you need to get a team full of asian players together, practice hard, and challenge these folks to a game

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:32 PM
ponder

Sounds extremely racist to me, bunch of *******s IMO. As for hockey culture in general, I've played with/against players of all races and never seen much in the way of racism, but I'm white so I wouldn't be experiencing it firsthand. While hockey is a fairly white sport, almost every team I've played on has had at least a few non-white players (have played/lived in Toronto and Vancouver, two pretty multicultural cities), and I can't bring to mind any racism on the teams at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
Completely Racist! but I know where he's coming from
its somewhat true though... most asians can't play hockey well nor sports in general.

I'm Chinese, but I'm first gen and grew up playing hockey, football, soccer and the like
however I was somewhat a disgrace to my mother, as I spent more of my time playing sports than taking "typical" piano lessons and "studying" lol

I still did well enough in school, I grew up in Winnipeg and ther were only like 2 chinese kids in my school, so I grew up pretty much 100% "Canadian" and somehow managed to keep up and grew to 6' tall, though my parents are tiny peeps.

in Short, there are MANY good young "Asian" (oriental, or Indo) hockey players these days. I live in Calgary now, and in the North East, which is a predominantly a multi-cultural area, are pumping out really excellent hockey players out of their Minor hockey association.
mind you many of these "multi-cultural" kids these days are 1st or 2nd gen Canadian

So in this City, I have never seen anyone "judge" someone for being ethnic

That being said... there are also many many asian people who haven't ever played the game and being later in life somewhat have the disposable income to blow on the most expensive equipment, but won't spend it or time on lessons lol
This is the same with Golf, and never get stuck behind an old "Asian" foursome, especially if there are old women there.

"maybe" once in a while I see some racism on the ice, some idiot will try to pick me out... but I usually show em up by playing hard relentless hockey, and have no problems picking up the physicality and intensity if it requires. (most people haven't played "real" competitive sports, let alone play defence in CIS football)

a while back, I was stretching by my bench, and this dude on the other team skates by the red line and says: "Keep your head up, or its coming off"... "make sure your chin strap it tight"

so... sure enough I tell ole' cap that I want to be on the ice when he's on...
I was playing Center, but decided to switch it up with my left d' man and his team dumped it in and we're chasing in for the corner... I look back and can tell he was going to paste me in the numbers, but I'm a better, faster skate... and right before I get to the puck, I brake... which is "bad" cause I could get boarded, but I just side step him, he doesn't really slow, and he lines himself into the glass, and I for good measure, as touch the puck and transition with some speed right into him HARD and knock the wind right out of him

I look down and said, just try to keep brining it buddy, I'll be here.
I don't know, in Vancouver there are TONNES of excellent Asian hockey players. I only moved here to start university, but have been here for around 7-8 years now, and in all the beer league hockey I've played it's been around 55% white, 30% Asian, 15% other ethnicities, with the Asian players being every bit as good as the white players on average. On my highschool hockey team in Toronto, our best player was Chinese, and our 2nd best player was Indian, though both were 1st generation Canadians. As you said, it's mostly kids who are ethnically Asian but born in Canada, but that's obviously going to be the case since hockey isn't too popular in most/all Asian countries.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:37 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
Now you have the motivation you need to get a team full of asian players together, practice hard, and challenge these folks to a game
Haha, so pretty much the plot from Breakaway?

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:55 PM
drivesrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Haha, so pretty much the plot from Breakaway?

Where can I see that movie can't find it anywhere! It looks great

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:44 PM
michaelshu

I know skill-wise I can play with them, that's for sure. Like I said, they're older guys and probably just playing for some exercise. I didn't talk to them looking for competition, just a good game and maybe some new friends who loves hockey (trust me, you won't find many here).

I'm not even angry, just.. disappointed. They could've help contribute in developing the game here.

Old
03-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
That would be considered racist. However the term "hardcore" could be by the chirps that fly around, not the contact.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:01 PM
michaelshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Was he doing it "tongue in cheek"? In other words was he kidding but sort of made what could be deemed an offensive joke inadvertantly? Sounds awfully bold to say with a straight face.
I'm not sure, he was smirking so i also thought of the possibility that he was joking. That's why I didn't say anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
That's super racist. I wouldn't want to play with those guys anyways, sounds like they'd be more than happy to take a cheap shot against you and maybe your so-called teammates wouldn't back you up. Sorry to hear about that experience, I come from a very multicultural area of Canada where 50-60% of the league is Asian, and the rest is mostly white or otherwise. We all get along great and I don't ever see any discrimination.

I'm also white, so I realize I'm not going to have many incidents where I experience racism firsthand. Makes me sad to think that my countrymen, living in Indonesia, would act like that. I hope you can find someone else to play with over there.
Yeah probably they will. I've a had quite a few Canadian friends before and all of them were awesome, I find that Canadians are similar with Indonesians in terms of being friendly. So, I was pretty surprised when i met this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel View Post
Are you a beginner to hockey and did you explain this to them? I am sure that had more to do with it then being Asian..

No offense(everybody has to start somewhere) but if they play a competitive game they probably are not willing to take on beginners upsetting the flow of the game..

Find a different group
Yeah, I talked to their organizer and explained that I'm used to playing with bigger guys. Also told him I played juniors in Sweden even though it was 10 years ago. And no, they are not competitive. Just guys looking for some exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
I'm going to pay devil's advocate here a little bit. Is it possible that the policy isn't "no Asians" exactly but more like "Canadians only"? If the purpose of this weekly game is to get together with some other people from home and do something you do at home because you are homesick then that might put it in a light that isn't as offensive.
Even if that is the case though statements like "Asians shouldn't play hockey" are rude, ignorant, wrong and yes, racist.
No, I overheard a few guys talking in different accents. Pretty sure one of them is from Eastern Europe and the organizer said he's American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
I don't like calling anybody racist because you never truly know what's in their heart, most people I know that say racist **** on occasion don't mean it and they just think it's funny to say distasteful ****. I love racial jokes, that doesn't mean I have hate in my heart for any race. Sounds like these guys are just a little ignorant and don't recognize when they are crossing the line, I doubt they truly hate asians.
Yeah I understand that, I love racial jokes too but only to guys I know. I wouldn't say it to strangers, that would be rude.. Except if I was rude to him in the first place, then I probably deserved it.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Kyndig86

Every country has its bad apples. I probably would have said the same thing about not accepting asian players. Though it would be in jest and would've taken you on my team.

Most of my friends are asian lol. (too much online gaming )

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Rizzy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
i like what you said about how they don't mean it. i was in a playoff round robin the other day and line up for the draw and the dude's like "go back to pakistan, this isn't cricket"... i literally lol'ed on the inside but it actually made me super mad. but whatever, we face them again soon and hopefully he feels like a complete idiot when his team loses

Rizzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:18 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

I don't know how you're so calm about it. They were being racist to your face and it's disgusting.

Quote:
While I agree that it's not an epidemic...it's still pretty damn bad these days.

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote