HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2012, 07:30 AM
fsnoles98

vCash: 500
Do GMGM and Dale, both go??

Old
03-03-2012, 07:33 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
I've been a supporter of his but even I agree...it's time for change.

Regardless of how bad he's been, saying "death" to anyone is just classless and not funny.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:36 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

I'd rather not see any of the usual suspects or the retreads including the likes of the current talking heads. Jim Nill is one of the guys that should be at the top of the list. Don't know if the Red Wings would allow the Caps to talk to him, but his track record as Assistant GM and Scouting with the Red Wings speaks for itself.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:38 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I'd rather not see any of the usual suspects or the retreads including the likes of the current talking heads. Jim Nill is one of the guys that should be at the top of the list. Don't know if the Red Wings would allow the Caps to talk to him, but his track record as Assistant GM and Scouting with the Red Wings speaks for itself.
Interesting idea.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
If you fire McPhee then his replacement should make the decision on Hunter unless Hunter makes it for him and quits. You can't hire a new GM and tell him Hunter has to be the coach though.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:41 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
The determination of Dale's future should be made by whatever new GM comes in. I wouldn't be surprised if Randy Carlyle becomes the most sought after Head Coach come the off season and watch for Toronto perhaps making a move for him.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Yeah he is the obvious candidate IMO and there is no way the Wings wouldn't allow the Caps to talk to him about the GM job.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Randy Carlyle becomes the most sought after Head Coach come the off season and watch for Toronto perhaps making a move for him.
Really...?

Old
03-03-2012, 07:46 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
The determination of Dale's future should be made by whatever new GM comes in. I wouldn't be surprised if Randy Carlyle becomes the most sought after Head Coach come the off season and watch for Toronto perhaps making a move for him.
If by "perhaps" you mean "they hired him last night and gave him a 3 year extension" then you're bang on.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:54 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Really...?
I didn't know what your comments meant at first, then I just checked the sports page and realized that it happened last night.

BTW do you want to know the Powerball numbers for tonight?

I'll be at Sunday's game against Philly, perhaps if the crowd begins a chant of fire Makfi, we'll get a similar result.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Stay or go, the owner will remain a *******.

I don't think he's going anywhere, even if STH #'s go south.

Last edited by Langway: 03-03-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old
03-03-2012, 08:56 AM
fsnoles98

Its a shame, but I think DC is the only place money can't buy a championship because the owner has no clue of the game and its surroundings.

Old
03-03-2012, 08:58 AM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Stay or go, the owner will remain a *******.

I don't think he's going anywhere, even if STH #'s go south.
OV plays to his contract and Backstrom doesn't get hurt then we would be sitting pretty.

I blame McPhee for the lack of center prospects but not the lack of effort when they get trounces.

Motivation seems the same. Less fast breaks, too many men penalties, and bad line changes under Hunter.

That said we need new blood

Old
03-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post

Regardless of how bad he's been, saying "death" to anyone is just classless and not funny.

Old
03-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Atlas

Quote:

It's just a metaphor and a play on words. Political correctness is killing America.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Ridley Simon

yes, it is time for a change

GM's are people...they get stuck on ideas, visions, certain players etc. GMGM's thought process was a good one to get the Caps to this spot....good and bad.

But his shortcomings:

Cant understand lockerroom chemistry, never has

Cant understand the value of veteran leadership, never has

Cant understand what makes a good coach, never has

Cant understand taking a major risk. Is very gun shy after one mistake

Cant understand players personalities and how to cater to them, far too many ex Cap are *very* bitter about their treatment by the Org.

He has his pluses, but the minuses are on full display this, his 15TH season. We are as far from winning a Cup as we've been since he *finally* fired Hanlon in 2007.

Time to go.

Hire Nill.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:33 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Sorry guys.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-anytime-soon/

Quote:
The big negative is that Nill probably isn’t available. Minnesota and Toronto both approached the Red Wings for permission to talk to him, but both teams were denied that permission because Nill had a non-compete clause on his last contract. His current contract also contains a non-compete clause, and runs until 2015-16. There is an escape clause that kicks in sometime during 2013-14 (as per ESPN) but for the next year or two the simple reality is that the Red Wings are just going to refuse to let him leave.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:44 AM
CapitalsExaminer

All we heard at the trade deadline was about how McPhee doesn't want to make a mistake. Hello! What do you call having such awful depth at the position that Keith Aucoin is centering a line with Alexander Ovechkin?

Every year it seems McPhee tries to make a quick fix and move a natural winger out his position to center. Didn't work with Flash, not the right move for Laich.

McPhee constantly overlooks one of the most important positions in the game, he should have also realized that this Capitals team is in no position to win the Stanley Cup and actually set the Caps up as sellers this trading deadline.

That however would take guts, I'm not convince George has that.

Old
03-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Capitlols

Elliotte Friedman ‏ @FriedgeHNIC
Interesting that Burke decided Wilson could not coach another game at ACC, after "Fire Wilson" chants.

Fire George chants should do it

Old
03-03-2012, 12:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

It's a play on the Undertaker theme. Jesus....some people.

Old
03-03-2012, 12:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm surprised any team would hold back the career of an employee who would be getting a promotion. Poor contract for Nill to sign if he can't even get released for a promotion.

Old
03-03-2012, 12:29 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsExaminer View Post
All we heard at the trade deadline was about how McPhee doesn't want to make a mistake. Hello! What do you call having such awful depth at the position that Keith Aucoin is centering a line with Alexander Ovechkin?

Every year it seems McPhee tries to make a quick fix and move a natural winger out his position to center. Didn't work with Flash, not the right move for Laich.

McPhee constantly overlooks one of the most important positions in the game, he should have also realized that this Capitals team is in no position to win the Stanley Cup and actually set the Caps up as sellers this trading deadline.

That however would take guts, I'm not convince George has that.
It's called job security. He takes the smallest risks possible, avoiding the spotlight and as a result the team and fans aren't rewarded.

15 years as a GM and nothing to show for it other than an ECF won by a team Poile put together.

Old
03-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Capitlols

Random question: Was GMGM a hot commodity when we hired him back then?

Old
03-03-2012, 12:53 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
It's a play on the Undertaker theme. Jesus....some people.
Not everyone watches that ridiculous "sport". Excuse me. And given your propensity for name-calling and tacky posts, I figured it was more of the same. I apologize.

At least I did say you were right about needing a shake-up for the team even though I was, until very recently, a big GMGM supporter.

Old
03-03-2012, 01:54 PM
puckchinchilla

I think it's time for him to move on.

I really like how GMGM and his scouting team scope out new talent. While they aren't Detroit-good at identifying 7th round nobodies who become HOF-caliber players, they are incredible at identifying young talent with a lot of possibilities. But the scouting team, from GMGM down, is just not good at identifying the consistent, steady roleplayers with leadership abilities that round out a team of talented skill players. The problem is that we don't need more MoJos right now; we need the jam.

And it's not that GMGM hasn't tried. I think he was trying to fill those roles when he brought in Joel Ward, Troy Brouwer, and Roman Hamrlik, but he missed the mark on that. His eye for those kind of players just isn't good. If we were a young team struggling to consistently make the playoffs, GMGM would be the savior from above. But we're a team with some of the most talented players in the league that need the roleplayers who can consistently connect on simple hockey plays to push to the Conference Finals and Cup.

That's not GMGM's strength. He's not the right fit for us. But he's probably a good fit for another organization. It's a lot like Bruce. Bruce is a great coach for a demoralized team that is struggling in a demoralizing system. One day, he may be a championship coach... but he's missing a few tools in the shed for that right now. It was time to let him go excel somewhere else, and I feel the same about GMGM.

But I may be completely wrong and an idiot about this thing, so who knows, heh.

Closed Thread