HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rookies Next Year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2012, 07:19 PM
  #26
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,733
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinYS View Post
I thought not being delusional was what set us apart from Leaf fans. Parise will not be on Ottawa come next season. Please get it through your head people!
K Bobby Ryan then.

Also, Bdp said that the Murrays will go hard after Parise.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:31 PM
  #27
Iamok
#Panic
 
Iamok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,428
vCash: 500
Every team in the league with the space will push hard for Parise. That's nothing new...

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:04 PM
  #28
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,036
vCash: 500
Gilroy might be back next year too. I mean, he might not, but Murray does have a track record of trading for guys and then giving them an extended chance. If Gillsie makes it, it doesn't leave a ton of space on the blueline for rookies...

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:26 PM
  #29
Iamok
#Panic
 
Iamok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,428
vCash: 500
Boro's the only guy we actually have to challenge for a spot, and BM's already strongly hinted that he'll be up here next year anyways.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:30 PM
  #30
IranCondraAffair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
I think Murray is going to go after a big name Free Agent this offseason as well. If he gets one, I'll be surprised, but I have no doubt he is definitely going to make a push.

For one, Murray has a respectable history with Free Agents. Kovalev and Gonchar come to mind, so the precedent is definitely there. They might not have been "Number 1" in their respective offseasons but they were the first ones to come to Ottawa in a longgg time.

Secondly there is owner pressure. Melnyk is a very bipolar owner. That losing streak before the deadline is likely the only thing that kept us from being a buyer at the deadline. This season, Ottawa is likely going to be making the playoffs and Murray is going to get pushed by Melnyk to make a splash in the offseason.

Thirdly, thanks to the "rebuild", Ottawa will have tons of cap room to play with. Murray has also not resigned Kuba, which I believe is motivated by Murray desiring to open up even more space. Although we have to re-sign Karlsson, Gonchar will also be coming off the books soon as well. And Alfie in 1-2 more seasons. This money is going to be spent on someone and even if you project raises to some of our role players our money allocation isn't bad. In fact, we don't have any contracts I'd even want to get rid of at this point.

Fourth, we have the roster spots available for a high end player. Either as a defensive pairing for Karlsson or possibly as a winger for Spezza, we actually have the room for some of these players on our team. Adding Suter to a team like Vancouver might seem like a great idea, but when you already have 5 "top-4" defensemen signed, you can create problems for yourself.

Fifth, we have a good reputation and there's not a lot of competition. We probably don't have a reputation as a free agent destination, but from the sounds of things we don't have a poor rep for our players . Didn't Gilroy just mention in an interview that he had heard good things about Ottawa's coaching?

Teams like Montreal and Toronto right now are full of distractions. NYR, Pittsburgh, and LA don't have cap room anymore or are under an internal budget. A lot of other teams are going through financial issues such as Dallas, Anaheim, and Phoenix. Others still might not be in the playoff picture. Unfortunately, Detroit, NJD, Boston,Chicago, Vancouver, and a few other teams do still have money to spend, room, and might be more attractive for varying reasons. We can't have it all.

Strong Canadian dollar, ample cap room, motivated owner, GM looking for job security, open roster spots. I really hate fooling myself into thinking something might happen. It's rare for quality players like Pairise and Suter to even make it this close to Free Agency.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:09 PM
  #31
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,733
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
I think Murray is going to go after a big name Free Agent this offseason as well. If he gets one, I'll be surprised, but I have no doubt he is definitely going to make a push.

For one, Murray has a respectable history with Free Agents. Kovalev and Gonchar come to mind, so the precedent is definitely there. They might not have been "Number 1" in their respective offseasons but they were the first ones to come to Ottawa in a longgg time.

Secondly there is owner pressure. Melnyk is a very bipolar owner. That losing streak before the deadline is likely the only thing that kept us from being a buyer at the deadline. This season, Ottawa is likely going to be making the playoffs and Murray is going to get pushed by Melnyk to make a splash in the offseason.

Thirdly, thanks to the "rebuild", Ottawa will have tons of cap room to play with. Murray has also not resigned Kuba, which I believe is motivated by Murray desiring to open up even more space. Although we have to re-sign Karlsson, Gonchar will also be coming off the books soon as well. And Alfie in 1-2 more seasons. This money is going to be spent on someone and even if you project raises to some of our role players our money allocation isn't bad. In fact, we don't have any contracts I'd even want to get rid of at this point.

Fourth, we have the roster spots available for a high end player. Either as a defensive pairing for Karlsson or possibly as a winger for Spezza, we actually have the room for some of these players on our team. Adding Suter to a team like Vancouver might seem like a great idea, but when you already have 5 "top-4" defensemen signed, you can create problems for yourself.

Fifth, we have a good reputation and there's not a lot of competition. We probably don't have a reputation as a free agent destination, but from the sounds of things we don't have a poor rep for our players . Didn't Gilroy just mention in an interview that he had heard good things about Ottawa's coaching?

Teams like Montreal and Toronto right now are full of distractions. NYR, Pittsburgh, and LA don't have cap room anymore or are under an internal budget. A lot of other teams are going through financial issues such as Dallas, Anaheim, and Phoenix. Others still might not be in the playoff picture. Unfortunately, Detroit, NJD, Boston,Chicago, Vancouver, and a few other teams do still have money to spend, room, and might be more attractive for varying reasons. We can't have it all.

Strong Canadian dollar, ample cap room, motivated owner, GM looking for job security, open roster spots. I really hate fooling myself into thinking something might happen. It's rare for quality players like Pairise and Suter to even make it this close to Free Agency.
Well said.

Plus, if Ottawa makes playoffs and MacLean wins coach of the year, a lot of players would be appealed to come here to play for a proven winner who has come from a proven system in Detroit.

Also, If I'm Parise, I see Ottawa as a young team with tons of potential in all positions but most importantly, I see the opportunity to play with a number 1 center and the best offensive defense man in the league. Not to mention the team not even hitting it's full potential and he could be apart of it when all the pieces start clicking.

I also think that Bobby Ryan becomes available for sure and we have the assets to make a trade happen.

I honestly see big things happening in the off-season.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:00 AM
  #32
DrEasy
Get well soon, BM!
 
DrEasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,015
vCash: 840
Well, if we're supposed to follow the Red Wings model, we should't be rushing our prospects. I think Bishop, Boro and Silf are 100% here next year, and so is JOB, but does he count as a rookie next year? Next in line would be Ziba, Da Costa, Petersson, but only as injury call-ups.

UFA/Butler - Spezza - Michalek
Silf - Turris - Alfie
Foligno - Smith - Condra
Greening - JOB - Neil

UFA/Kuba - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Phillips - UFA/Gilroy
Boro

Mr. Anderson
Bishop

I wouldn't bother with Daug, and I wouldn't re-sign Winch, Konopka or Carkner. But I'd try to re-sign both Kuba and Gilroy, as I'm worried about our depth on defense. If I can also get a big shot top 6 guy, ideally to play with Spezza, then Butler becomes a healthy scratch.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:16 AM
  #33
WantEggRoll
Registered User
 
WantEggRoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,760
vCash: 177
JOB will only count as a rookie next year if he plays under 24 or 25 games I forget which. He is already at 18 though and I don't see him getting sent down in the next few.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:50 AM
  #34
sexytime
Registered User
 
sexytime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Guatemala
Country: Canada
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Murray will make room for rookies. I see him at the draft trading a few players for prospects that they really want to draft.

sexytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:44 AM
  #35
Manny*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,200
vCash: 500
Nice to see that Da Costa has been all but forgotten.

He should definitely make the team ahead of O'Brien.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:18 AM
  #36
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 50
2 questions here...

Which one has more trade value:

Zbad, Silverberg, Stone, Lehner

Anyone willing to trade any of them for a defenseman NHL ready prospect? If so which one of the four?

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:22 AM
  #37
H2O
Registered User
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
2 questions here...

Which one has more trade value:

Zbad, Silverberg, Stone, Lehner

Anyone willing to trade any of them for a defenseman NHL ready prospect? If so which one of the four?
I would rank it as Zbad, Lehner, Stone, Silverberg. Depending on who the defensive prospect is, I would trade any of them except Lehner.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:15 AM
  #38
The Fuhr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,741
vCash: 500
If Stone's skating becomes a strength like he has been working on... I don't see why he would not be given a shot with Spezza.

His numbers are just way to ridiculous... I'd put him with Spezza just to see what happens.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:22 AM
  #39
Legend Killer
Registered User
 
Legend Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,492
vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
If Stone's skating becomes a strength like he has been working on... I don't see why he would not be given a shot with Spezza.

His numbers are just way to ridiculous... I'd put him with Spezza just to see what happens.
I assume he will get the Filatov/Butler treatment in training camp and preseason... I think he will be given every opportunity to gain chemistry with Spezza...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
  #40
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,733
vCash: 50
Silfverberg-Spezza-Stone
Michalek-Turris-Alfredsson

Boom bang bada boom ping..POW.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
  #41
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Nice to see that Da Costa has been all but forgotten.

He should definitely make the team ahead of O'Brien.
The problem is that JOB plays a game MUCH more suited to the 4th line.

DaCosta, not so much. DaC is too small (not to mention not good enough at faceoffs) to really be effective on the 4th line, he needs to play with skill guys to really make good use of his skillset.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:53 PM
  #42
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Silfverberg-Spezza-Stone
Michalek-Turris-Alfredsson

Boom bang bada boom ping..POW.
No love for Silver surfer? Or the Silver mountain (Berg)

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:07 PM
  #43
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I believe that Sdao is a junior this yr & I haven't heard that he will be leaving school early, have you? I also think that Prince will have his hands full staying in the Bingo lineup & may even see some time in Elmira more so than Ottawa. While I think Da Costa will be only an injury callup I do think that Hoffman & Dziurzynski are getting close. In fact, I could see Hoffman challenge Silfverberg for a roster spot next season. Blood IMO is behind Gryba & Wiercioch.

IMO Borocop may not be quite NHL ready from what I have seen, it wouldn't surprise me if Murray signs a UFA defenceman this summer to replace Kuba. Especially because they have Gilroy as a pmd they could go out & get a big, tough, left shot young UFA defenceman to play with Gilroy or Gonchar. Bryan Allen would be a good choice if he becomes available.
It is more so speculation than anything. I kind of expect Sdao to follow the same route as Borocop, in that he will leave school early because now is an excellent opportunity to establish himself within the organization and help prioritize him in terms of potential roster spots and call ups. I read an article recently that stated that Sdao's primary goal is to play in the NHL. To an extent that can be perceived as an axiom of all prospects. However the reports out of Princeton are that the coaches are raving about Sdao and see him as a guy that work's his ass off and does all the extra work necessary to eventually become an NHL player.

In regards to Prince, I will have to disagree with you. For some reason Prince reminds me of Rich Peverely. Based on his performance in preseason and in the OHL, Prince is on the fast track to become an NHL player. At this point I would say that our top forward prospects are Zibanejad, Stone, Silfverberg and Noeson. IMO Prince and Da Costa are trailing closely behind that group.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:18 PM
  #44
umma gumma
Registered User
 
umma gumma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
I think Zbad spends a year in Bingo...at least he starts the season there.

umma gumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:46 PM
  #45
Icelevel
little bit better
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,077
vCash: 500
tonight's game confirms it for me (unless these guys really improve over the off season)

condra, daugavins, butler need to be replaced with
silfverberg, zibanejad, regin/winchester

bigger, faster, stronger, more skilled

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
  #46
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,733
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
No love for Silver surfer? Or the Silver mountain (Berg)
May want to look at those line-ups again

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:38 AM
  #47
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,298
vCash: 500
Hopefully a quantity for quality deal can get done to make room for some rooks.

Package Nick ''The Hulk'' Foligno and Colin ''Baby Elephant'' Greening for an upgrade. Nick is ultra physical according to his Hits total, and can play centre. Greening is huge, strong and fast. Both guys have lots of intangibles. GMs love that crap.

Actually best case scenario is Turris + Greening for awesome 2nd C. Foligno + Condra for an awesome top 6 winger. Get it done, Murray

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:36 PM
  #48
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?
 
Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,577
vCash: 500
Foligno sure gets a ton of disrespect considering he is 5th on the team in scoring. I am starting to think people just don't like him so they overlook all he contributes.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:52 PM
  #49
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,733
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Foligno sure gets a ton of disrespect considering he is 5th on the team in scoring. I am starting to think people just don't like him so they overlook all he contributes.
Foligno is the most streakiest scorer if I have ever seen one. Randy Robitaille esque.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:22 PM
  #50
4thliner*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,135
vCash: 500
I think Stone will be Heatley 2.0 with Spezza. I don't think the guy can be any SLOWER than Heatley was/is plus he's got more grit and jam and plays the corners unlike Heatley.

Even if he does not fill the net with as much regularity as Heatley, he brings better board work. Just hope he gets here while Spezza is still in his prime.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.