HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2012, 03:11 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

vCash: 500
While I might be inclined to replace GMGM, I would like to retain the scouting staff, Fishman and the others who aren't involved in specific locker room decisions.

Old
03-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Devil Dancer

I'm coming around on making a change at the GM level, but unlike most of you I'm also 100% happy to keep GMGM around. The guy built a hell of a team, and as recently as July of 2011 he made some moves that were, on the whole, almost universally applauded.

There's a reason everyone though the Caps would be good this year: they should have been good this year because of the work done by GMGM.

EDIT: Also, I don't think GMGM gets enough credit for turning around the finances of this team. He took a team that was near the bottom of the league in revenue and attendance and turned it into a team that sells out more often than not. Now, rather than being a cap floor team, they spend beyond the cap on a regular basis. That's a major accomplishment, and it's one that will make the team better in the long run.

Last edited by Devil Dancer: 03-03-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old
03-03-2012, 03:46 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'm coming around on making a change at the GM level, but unlike most of you I'm also 100% happy to keep GMGM around. The guy built a hell of a team, and as recently as July of 2011 he made some moves that were, on the whole, almost universally applauded.

There's a reason everyone though the Caps would be good this year: they should have been good this year because of the work done by GMGM.
I have to agree that this team looked pretty damn good on paper when the season started. 2C seemed to be the only question mark, and it's close to impossible to have a flawless team in the salary cap era.

For me, it's really just Ovechkin not being Ovechkin, and his funk has rubbed off on the rest of the team.

Old
03-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Atlas

Quote:

<Rimshot>

Old
03-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
I have to agree that this team looked pretty damn good on paper when the season started. 2C seemed to be the only question mark, and it's close to impossible to have a flawless team in the salary cap era.

For me, it's really just Ovechkin not being Ovechkin, and his funk has rubbed off on the rest of the team.

Ovechkin can't skate through 3 guys and score. He's great but he's not that great. My only complains about Vech is that he ought shoot more and he ought to play hard in the D zone instead of cherry-picking. Oh and the league ought to let him hit people. But he's on the ice with the stoney handers like Chim, Laich, Ward, Hendricks. Brouwer is better but his hands are only average. Mojo doesn't have great hockey sense.

If Green, Backstrom, Vech and Semin are ever on the PP we might see the high octane O again. But complaining about Vech when his line mates are **** is a mistake. Do you want to run him out of town?

Old
03-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Ovechkin can't skate through 3 guys and score. He's great but he's not that great. My only complains about Vech is that he ought shoot more and he ought to play hard in the D zone instead of cherry-picking. Oh and the league ought to let him hit people. But he's on the ice with the stoney handers like Chim, Laich, Ward, Hendricks. Brouwer is better but his hands are only average. Mojo doesn't have great hockey sense.

If Green, Backstrom, Vech and Semin are ever on the PP we might see the high octane O again. But complaining about Vech when his line mates are **** is a mistake. Do you want to run him out of town?
I'm sure you know better than this. Ovechkin scored 52 goals with Dainius Zubrus as his center and pretty much no one else with any skill on the roster at all. If you've watched the games this season, you know that Ovechkin has been terrible in many games. He has shown flashes of the play that his contract requires him to produce, but only flashes.

And yeah, I do basically want to run him out of town for it. The team would be better off built around someone else.

Old
03-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Atlas

Zubrus wasn't a bad player. A legit 2nd liner (shoulda been a winger). Who else was on that team? Was the PP any good?

We'll disagree I'm sure. That's fine. Vech can play harder, I'm sure. But there is a spiritual component to this (I don't mean religion). There's an emotional part--a player can only gve so much. Vech played his heart out for years until after the Montreal series. Last year was weird--Backstrom was terrible and Vech was pretty bad, too, in the regular season. Semin, too. It's like their fire went dim. I think it's just not fun the way the team is right now. Laich isn't very good. Ward is less good. Mojo not ready yada yada yada. It's easy to say play hard but Vech knows this team is going in the wrong direction. And, amazingly, the league doesn't like his style to boot. The Caps need centers and the environment has to get fun again.

Old
03-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

No one was on that team.

Old
03-03-2012, 04:33 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
That's hardly fair. Petr Sykora!

03-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Atlas

Boy, that is ugly!

Of course, Vech shot the puck every time down the ice then. He passes way too much now, esp. because his line mates are a joke. But he'll never shoot the puck that much again. And he was new to the NHL and fired up about it. We know the NHL has put the kabosh on his enthusiasm. He skipped an All-Star Game for heaven's sake. That's terrible and I don't blame him!

Here's my point: If Vech played out of his mind this year and scored 120 pts it wouldn't be good enough to make this team a contender. He knows that himself. Ice hockey is an emotional game. Right now, he is not picking up good vibrations from this team because they are not there.

Old
03-03-2012, 05:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
Not everyone watches that ridiculous "sport". Excuse me. And given your propensity for name-calling and tacky posts, I figured it was more of the same. I apologize.

At least I did say you were right about needing a shake-up for the team even though I was, until very recently, a big GMGM supporter.
Stay classy kid. Your McPhee piloted ship is going down. Big supporter...No ****.....go figure.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 03-03-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old
03-03-2012, 05:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

EDIT: Also, I don't think GMGM gets enough credit for turning around the finances of this team. He took a team that was near the bottom of the league in revenue and attendance and turned it into a team that sells out more often than not. Now, rather than being a cap floor team, they spend beyond the cap on a regular basis. That's a major accomplishment, and it's one that will make the team better in the long run.
Here's the biggest issue IMO, because you're right, he's done some great things and is no dummy. I actually think he's pretty shrewd, but there comes a time when you only get so many chances. Having a superstar talent adds the pressure to win and expectations. 14 years he's had. Wasn't it McPhee who said about Hanlon that some people who start this journey won't be here to see it end? Well his time is up if this team misses the playoffs IMO.

As for selling tickets...Ovechkin and company. Nothing to do with McPhee other than being the guy who's lap Ovy fell into.

Old
03-03-2012, 05:29 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

When you cease to have a vision forward, your skill set is irrelevant, and he's shown he has no clue how to identify and fix what's wrong.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:38 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Slava Malamud ‏ @SlavaMalamud

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

"They got rid of Boudreau a little early" - Kovalchuk, last night, providing his opinion about the #Caps problems. #NJDevils

Old
03-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Slava Malamud ‏ @SlavaMalamud

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

"They got rid of Boudreau a little early" - Kovalchuk, last night, providing his opinion about the #Caps problems. #NJDevils

Funny, i was thinking the exact opposite......

Old
03-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Capitlols

His best bud played a big role in that.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:54 PM
artilector

That's randomly interesting..

But even in these sh1tty times, I can't say I miss Boudreau. Too many playoff series where the team just looked.. outcoached (among other things). The last series against Tampa was just mind-numbingly awful.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
OV plays to his contract and Backstrom doesn't get hurt then we would be sitting pretty.

I blame McPhee for the lack of center prospects but not the lack of effort when they get trounces.

Motivation seems the same. Less fast breaks, too many men penalties, and bad line changes under Hunter.

That said we need new blood
The lack of a legit 2C is a significant problem. The biggest problem however is his coaching choices. Not one coach he's brought on has had ANY NHL head coaching experience. The only one of the 4 with any success was Boudreau but that was regular season only.

Cassidy 47-45-8-7
Hanlon 49-84-9
boudreau 201-88-40
Hunter is not fairing well.

The team GMGM has put together should be better on paper but they are dysfunctional at best right now. There is no excuse for choosing coaches with no NHL experience 4 times in a row. This is a complete failure on the GM's part. IMO it should cost him his job the day we are eliminated from the playoffs.

Old
03-03-2012, 08:35 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Random question: Was GMGM a hot commodity when we hired him back then?
No, he wasn't.

Old
03-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
No, he wasn't.
Define hot commodity. He was well respected for his work with the Canucks and helped them get to the finals in '94.

Old
03-03-2012, 09:12 PM
IafrateOvie34

[QUOTE=Millhaus;45455137]Define hot commodity. He was well respected for his work with the Canucks and helped them get to the finals in '94.[/QUOTE

A matter of how you look at it. I give Pat Quinn credit, not GMGM.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:22 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
That's randomly interesting..

But even in these sh1tty times, I can't say I miss Boudreau. Too many playoff series where the team just looked.. outcoached (among other things). The last series against Tampa was just mind-numbingly awful.
well....one sure way to avoid playoff disappointments is to miss the playoffs entirely.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:27 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Stay classy kid. Your McPhee piloted ship is going down. Big supporter...No ****.....go figure.
That's funny coming from you.

And reading is fundamental. I said I was starting to agree that it was time for a change. If you can't see the good the man has done for the team in the past then that's on you.

Typical of your posts...everyone who doesn't agree with your opinion is a moron and deserves to be treated with contempt and disrespect. I'm not the only one here who thinks GMGM has done some good.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:29 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
well....one sure way to avoid playoff disappointments is to miss the playoffs entirely.
Fair enough point. But you have to admit, the team has looked out-coached in the playoffs in the past.

Old
03-04-2012, 06:10 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

My biggest complaint against Bruce in the playoffs and in general, he was slow to adjust.

Now George takes a lot of heat for his choices of coaches. But I think Dale is clearly showing he is a tactician. Its probably too much to implement mid season at the country club, but he got started on problems he saw. That's all I ever really wanted from Bruce in the playoffs. Maybe a shadow or shutdown line, tested and tried during the season, and one or two more goalie changes back to his number 1s, that's it.

Implementing a coach like Dale may have been best served done in the offseason, WRT the amount of change he implemented, or George wanted implemented. When a team just stops listening to a coach, the new one comes in, the problem is gone. But we had more problems than that. Ovi had been suddenly solved by the league. Green, out. Lame duck G play. We had to win games as team.

But you can't fully complain about the noob coaches and turn a blind eye to BBs overnight successes. He did damn good. Reinforcing to George perhaps, a noob can do fine.

George has done a lot of good, but with our C situation and Goalie play, I am not certain that ringer coach you wanted would have been able to do better than what we have seen the past 3 months. Those are his fault.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-04-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Closed Thread