HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

cost of Stewart @ the Draft?

Old
03-03-2012, 01:35 PM
BadgersandBlues

vCash: 500
Last year we had solid goal scoring, coming in 10th in the league. We did not make the playoffs. In fact, we didn't even come close. This year we're 21st in goal scoring, yet we're 4th in the entire NHL. So this "We need goal-scoring, therefore we need Chris Stewart" rhetoric is simplistic. At the time he was injured, Matt D'agostini had 1 less goal then Stewart, and for 1/2 the price.

That being said, the people on the, "Trade Stewart," bandwagon aren't saying we don't think he can rebound, or we think we should move him for depth. Nor do we want to trade him if his value is low. However there are plenty of GMs out there that love themselves potential, and I think we can still make the case that he's a 40 goal scorer in the making. (Which he is, but only if he is playing with a superstar playmaking Center) We are talking about moving him as the centerpiece of a package for a bona-fide superstar type player. If we move him for a top Center, like a Tavares, Backes moves to wing, and we will fill Stewart's spot with Oshie. If we move him for a LHD, we platoon D'ags/Tank/Schwartz in his spot, whoever is hot gets the minutes. If D'ags can be one goal behind him through 52 games, I'm sure Tank/Schwartz can find a way to chip in a goal. (Yes, this reasoning is simplistic too ^.^)

The takeaway from the Vancouver game that a lot of people are focusing on is the fact that even though we were tired, we simply couldn't move the puck out of the zone with any efficiency due to our D being under siege, the same type of siege they will face in the playoffs. If we can't get the puck to our forwards to break out of the zone, it doesn't matter if we have a line of Gretzky/Hull/Shanahan out there. We will never score. Go back and watch the third period of that game if you can. The Canucks were putting on a clinic of moving the puck around in our zone, and when we finally put some pressure on the puck carrier, he dumped the puck into an open space where our D had to work to go get it and beat the forechecker coming at them. Sure we were tired, but we couldn't make it out of the zone due to a lack of skating/passing ability from our D, with the exception of AP and Shatty.

Nacho makes a strong point about the future of this team. I think most of us have felt for awhile now that we are a playoff team. This year has proved that we clearly have the nucleus to be in the playoffs for many years to come. Now our focus should be on tweaking the roster to beat the teams that are SOLELY focused on winning a Stanley Cup. Do you think Vancouver cares that Kesler isn't on a 40 goal pace this year? Of course not. They know who he is as a player, they know he will produce when it matters.

We have watched Chris Stewart for about a year now. We have seen the type of player that he is. He is one dimensional. If he isn't scoring goals, he isn't helping your team. We have given our evidence for why we make a statement like that. When we criticism him we don't say simplistic things like, "He's lazy." That's weak analysis. We point out specific things such as, "He doesn't make the extra effort to win board battles, and when he comes under pressure against the wall, he makes poor hockey decisions with the puck that lead to turnovers and loss of offensive pressure. Therefore we believe that Chris Stewart is a poor wall player, something that you -cannot- be in today's NHL." See the difference?

As for the whole rebounding thing, if you go back and look at the game logs of Chris Stewart last year before he came to the Blues, you will see HUGE stretches of game where he didn't score. I'm talking 2 goals over the course of 18 games.....which seems to be the exact type of thing we are seeing now. In fact, if you go look at the logs when he was with us last year he went long stretches with few goals. (One stretch of 3 goals in 12 games, one stretch of 1 goal in 5 games.) So this ISN'T a one year thing. This happened last year, but for a different team and to a lesser extent us, but we were all winning and scoring, so we didn't care. THAT'S why so many of us are thinking along the lines of, "Well he can score, but he's prone to LONG stretches of doing nothing. Is that the type of player we want on our team?" For many of us, the answer is no. The comparison to David Backes is the worst one you could have made. Sure Backes struggled with goal scoring from year to year as a younger player. Sure he's still not the most consistent scorer. But he brings -so- many intangibles to the ice every night. Grit. Hustle. Hard work along the boards. Physicality. The fact that he fought 1/2 of Team Canada before the Olympics. You get the idea. Chris Stewart does NONE of these things. If he isn't scoring goals he brings nothing else to the table.

Finally, this isn't personal. I want the Blues to succeed. That means we need to make sure we aren't holding onto a guy that's going to hold us back in the long run. (Read: Playoffs) I don't care if we score 2.5 or 2.8 goals a game in the regular season. I care that we win a Stanley Cup. Stewart has proven to have HUGE deficiencies in his game over the regular season which will get expounded during the playoffs, and will most likely cost us.

Edit: Jesus I just went and looked at Stewart's logs for the year he put up 28 with Colorado in 09-10....he went 20 games with one goal, (Beginning of the year) and 13 games with one goal. (End of the year) I'm pretty sure at 3 years you can call that a trend. Not to mention that he burned us for 7 goals in 4 games....which means if you take out the games against us, he scored 21 goals in 73 games......pretty D'ags like.

Last edited by BadgersandBlues: 03-03-2012 at 01:51 PM.
BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Robb_K

Not only is Stewart's game fairly weak in defence, battling for the puck, hitting/physical play, passing and scoring consistency, but he loses the puck fairly often, as well. When he's taking the puck into the offensive zone, he often gets covered, doesn't know what to do with it, and gives it up on a weak, ill aimed or ill-timed pas, or to a poke check, or takes a weak, non-screened shot on goal that is wasted. Bottom line, he gives up possession without many decent scoring chances, doesn't set up teammates, loses possession but doesn't gain possession much for his team, doesn't cover well and when he DOES decide to stand up for his teammates, often takes ill-timed penalties. Unless he is on one of his major scoring streaks, he seems to be more of a hindrance than help.

However,-he is young and still can improve. And although his progress in his (seemingly sincere) effort to try to improve is small, so far, he DOES seem to have gotten the message that his career is on the line, and he seems to be trying.

I wouldn't dump him off at this low-value point, assuming that he'll never improve.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post
That being said, the people on the, "Trade Stewart," bandwagon aren't saying we don't think he can rebound, or we think we should move him for depth. Nor do we want to trade him if his value is low. However there are plenty of GMs out there that love themselves potential, and I think we can still make the case that he's a 40 goal scorer in the making. (Which he is, but only if he is playing with a superstar playmaking Center) We are talking about moving him as the centerpiece of a package for a bona-fide superstar type player. If we move him for a top Center, like a Tavares, Backes moves to wing, and we will fill Stewart's spot with Oshie. If we move him for a LHD, we platoon D'ags/Tank/Schwartz in his spot, whoever is hot gets the minutes. If D'ags can be one goal behind him through 52 games, I'm sure Tank/Schwartz can find a way to chip in a goal. (Yes, this reasoning is simplistic too ^.^)
If you expect that Stewart will be the centrepiece to bring back a superstar player, then you are ging to be really disappointed. Also, people should forget about Backes ever moving back to wing. He is one of the best 2-way centers in the League, that is his position now.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:55 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
If you expect that Stewart will be the centrepiece to bring back a superstar player, then you are ging to be really disappointed. Also, people should forget about Backes ever moving back to wing. He is one of the best 2-way centers in the League, that is his position now.
It's more like there's time to wait a bit and let him rebound or not. If he does, use him to fill one of the holes, even if the Blues have to add a bit. If he doesn't rebound he can probably at minimum be flipped for a 1st round pick somewhere down the line once Tarasenko's arrived.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:04 PM
BadgersandBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
If you expect that Stewart will be the centerpiece to bring back a superstar player, then you are going to be really disappointed. Also, people should forget about Backes ever moving back to wing. He is one of the best 2-way centers in the League, that is his position now.
Backes is a solid 2 way Center, but one of the best in the league is a stretch. I personally am unsure we can win a Cup with him as our top Center, b/c A LOT of top Centers -really- ramp up their defensive game once the playoffs start, without dropping off their offensive numbers. I'm glad that Backes plays the way he does all season long, b/c our team depends on it, but guys like Malkin and Thornton who are much more offensively gifted then Backes play pretty solid D once the playoffs start.

As for the first part of your quote, the idea of Stewart being a centerpiece to bring back a "big" player isn't so far fetched....seeing as one year ago he was basically the centerpiece for a former #1 overall draft pick that still has mega upside if he can ever get his head straight. There are a lot of "selling points" on a guy like Stewart (He's young, he's cheap, he's got HUGE potential, he's big, he fights, etc) that DA can entice other GMs with, who can then sell those points to their fanbase.

I'm not saying we can trade Stewart and a 3rd for Malkin, but it's not unreasonable to think of Stewart/Cole/1st as a -really- solid starting point for a top Center or LHD. The hard part is finding a team with the excess at the position we need, who also has the desire to add at the position(s) we have strength, or a team that is looking to blow up and rebuild who wants a lot of quality pieces for it's one marketable star. (Think Nash in Columbus or E. Staal in Carolina) It's not unreasonable to think that if Carolina has another dismal start to their season next year that E. Staal doesn't become the next Nash. I think a package of Stewart/Cole/1st+ is a pretty reasonable return for a franchise.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote