HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Saints Bounty Thread (NFL vacates all punishment in Bountygate)

Old
03-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Quite celebrated 'round these parts
If Eagles fans endorse it you should think twice, but this is hardly something that deserves hysterics.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 03:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
If Eagles fans endorse it you should think twice, but this is hardly something that deserves hysterics.
There's a definite disparity between all those Eagles fans, and everyone else. You can hear them when Ryan Howard's foot exploded.

RT @JayGlazer: Sources now tell me Saints penalty will be handed down prior to NFL Owners mtg that starts last wk of March and possibly within next wk or 2

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:04 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
RT @JayGlazer: Sources now tell me Saints penalty will be handed down prior to NFL Owners mtg that starts last wk of March and possibly within next wk or 2
Seems quick. That is either good news or more likely, bad news.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
Looks like the normal Saint haters are out in force...hoping and dreaming for punishments that, in all likelihood, will not come to pass.

Continue to hate...perhaps if you do it long it enough it will reverse time and help the Vikings win that game.
I don't hate the Saints, but if the most respected Saints fan on this board is willing to admit they were in the wrong, so should the masses.

Placing money on attempting to injure and potentially kill another human being is just incredibly wrong. This won't catch nearly as much flak as Vick's dog ring, but it's really no different.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:55 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Now it looks like the league is going to investigate the Washington Redskins because during Williams' time there, he used a bounty performance system there as well. Matt Bowen and Phillip Daniels have stated such. Joe Gibbs denies knowledge of it too. Not too sure what the league can do though because this would be going back to 2004 to 2007. However, it looks like this might be a pattern with Williams and it's very possible he might not ever be a coach of any sort in the NFL again. Not very good Mr. Williams......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Renbarg

I'm surprised that some of you are surprised at this.

Bounties are not a huge secret.

Me thinks that Roger decided enough is enough when such an open and shut case came across his desk. Good way to put it to an end though.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

So the over/under has to be what the Pats got for Spygate.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
So the over/under has to be what the Pats got for Spygate.
Guys like Schefter, LaCanfora, and King are saying it will be a lot more than what the Pats got.

Mike Freeman tweeted this earlier today:

Quote:
People: the NFL isn't going to make an example out of Gregg Williams. NFL is going to make an example out of entire Saints org.
I guess we'll find out in a week or two.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I reserve my right to be tender due to the fact it's my team when I say this, but I'd like to think if it were another team, I'd suspend them for the draft, and not announce it until later this month, or next month. This is on top of fines, and possible suspensions. Sean Payton should probably get suspended. Even if he didn't have anything to do with it (which we don't know for sure one way or the other), we know his agent was and his defensive coordinator and staff were, and he's still responsible for having hired those people.

Since it involves the organization and not just players, I can't think of a better way to make team employees feel like complete **** than to make all the work that's been done since September, if not before, for absolutely nothing. They can even let Ditka break the news.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
Looks like the normal Saint haters are out in force...hoping and dreaming for punishments that, in all likelihood, will not come to pass.

Continue to hate...perhaps if you do it long it enough it will reverse time and help the Vikings win that game.
Take off the black and gold shades, son.

The only people that really give a damn to hate the Saints are opposing NFC South and Viking fans. And they're only a small portion of the crowd that wants to see the Saints harshly punished.

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Gooch

Quote:
I reserve my right to be tender due to the fact it's my team when I say this, but I'd like to think if it were another team, I'd suspend them for the draft, and not announce it until later this month, or next month. This is on top of fines, and possible suspensions. Sean Payton should probably get suspended. Even if he didn't have anything to do with it (which we don't know for sure one way or the other), we know his agent was and his defensive coordinator and staff were, and he's still responsible for having hired those people.

Since it involves the organization and not just players, I can't think of a better way to make team employees feel like complete **** than to make all the work that's been done since September, if not before, for absolutely nothing. They can even let Ditka break the news.
That screws the saints fans as much as the team itself. If I were a Saints fan and if punishment was neccessary I'd rather it come via heavy financial fines and not at the expense of the product on the field. The pocketbook will hurt those responsible while not forcing innocent fans to suffer from losing out on watching their team participate in an annual event.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:05 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Bounties are not a huge secret.
I keep reading this, but no one ever substantiates this claim. If it's not such a huge secret, then we would have heard more about it before - from all different types of sports and teams. But we don't and we haven't, at least not for a long while. So if you're going to say bounties aren't a huge secret and happen often, at least provide some proof.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
I keep reading this, but no one ever substantiates this claim. If it's not such a huge secret, then we would have heard more about it before - from all different types of sports and teams. But we don't and we haven't, at least not for a long while. So if you're going to say bounties aren't a huge secret and happen often, at least provide some proof.
I've seen former players say that it goes on. You don't hear about it, because if someone were to open their mouth, they'd be taped to the goalposts and left in the ice bath...forever.

Old
03-03-2012, 08:15 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
I've seen former players say that it goes on. You don't hear about it, because if someone were to open their mouth, they'd be taped to the goalposts and left in the ice bath...forever.
Yeah you might hear a player vaguely talk about bounties, especially athletes from the past. But that's a little different than a 50k page report proving a bounty system that was approved from the top-down.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I'd like to know 50,000 pages only encompasses one team over a three-year period. That has to be one of the largest documents in the history of life. Are they using 72-point font or something?

Old
03-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
This happens in pop warner. Definitely H.S. all over the place. Maybe not as explicit as "you knock the guy out of the game and you'll get a fiver", but something along the lines of "you lay someone out and you'll get a fiver". I mostly played competitive soccer, we had a system that rewarded different types of plays, and I never even played past high school.

Hockey has the infamous "board". The extra incentives (i.e. outside the contract) is the crux of the issue, not the fact that they were playing to injure players. We know players hit to injure sometimes, you have to look no further than the Giants-Niners game, where Jacquin Williams outright said they were looking to injure Kyle Williams. The "board" also exists everywhere, or at least some sort of variation of it. This bounty stuff was just a variation of the hockey version of the board.

If all 32 teams did not have some sort of extra lockerroom incentive system I would be thoroughly shocked.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
You can add the Bills to the list: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bi...icle747663.ece

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
So that makes the Bills, Redskins and Saints all have it. And the common link between all three is GW.

I don't think it's going to shock me to see GW take the brunt of the punishment here.

03-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

One overlookedproblem in this thing and what could be one of the ultimate killers sanction wise is the fact that its technically cap circumvention.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

By the time these "investigations" come to pass, we're going to cancel the entire 2013 draft.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:28 PM
darko

This is getting bigger and bigger. Cant help but feel bad for Saints fans.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
It's worth noting that he's also been the DC for the Titans and Jaguars.

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjge42 View Post
Take off the black and gold shades, son.

The only people that really give a damn to hate the Saints are opposing NFC South and Viking fans. And they're only a small portion of the crowd that wants to see the Saints harshly punished.
Who do you think I was talking about? I know this is HF where broad strokes are painted but I'm specifically referring to a few individuals who consistently hated on the Saints after that NFC Championship game.

I was not referring to the talk of forfeit of a future first rounder and fines (which I expect) but of the laughable idea that their cap number should be lowered so they are unable to sign Drew Brees. I don't deny that they had a bounty as Gregg Williams is already throwing the organization under the bus but the facts are not out yet. Sharper is saying they weren't paid to hurt players as well as other players coming out and saying that the culture is in the NFL. This is not a gentleman's game.

Hope this clears it up. To recap: I was referring to a few individuals on this board, I expect a penalty along the lines of other scandals, and do not deny it happened just what exactly is being reported.

03-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Shameus

Listened to John Clayton for a little while on ESPN radio this evening and he had some opinions on why this is getting so much attention.

*The fact that there were bounties out to injure players when the league is trying to take big steps to further protect players and is involved in several lawsuits involving former players and their injuries. He said Goodell will want to show that the league is serious on protecting players and is using that as part of its motivation on punishment. Would also not be surprised if some former players injured by the Saints sued the team, Payton, and Williams. Said Warner and his wife talk often about the hit(s) he suffered at the hands of the Saints in that playoff game.

*He acknowledged that the Saints are probably not the only team doing this but said the reason this one was investigated is because the owner found out and said to end it and it was not. Also because of the involvement of Williams, Payton, and Lomis on some level. Said most of these things are just players doing this and not involving coaching staffs and the front office.

*He believes the league will dock the Saints their 2nd round and possibly 3rd round pick in April's draft as well as their 1st round in the 2013 draft and possibly more.

*He believes that both Payton and Williams will receive sanctions of suspensions and fines and that the Saints organization will be fined as well. His opinion on the fines is take the Pats fines and double them at the minimum and he would not be surprised with the total for all parties involved, coaches, front office, and team approaching half a million.

*He said with the rumors coming out now about the Redskins bounty system could cost Williams his job. The Rams may not want any part of this associated with their franchise and could can him in the next week or two.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
One overlookedproblem in this thing and what could be one of the ultimate killers sanction wise is the fact that its technically cap circumvention.
This is THE issue. The media is going to take the "injure the player" thing and run with it. But money under the table outside of the contract is what is going to get the Saints in trouble.