HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Wiemer Claimed by Wild: Please Post All Related Threads/Comments here

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2003, 02:04 AM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Jason Wiemer: Rumors/Thursday waiver decision/comments/updates. Post here please...

Folks,

Whatever happens today, please let's have one general Wiemer discussion thread where everyone can have their say. We do not need a bunch of seperate Wiemer threads. This will include commentary on Wang/Milbury ect.......

Thank You...

Old
11-13-2003, 03:15 AM
rikker
fan since '75.

Please fill in the blanks...

I'm a devout fan, but live some 500 miles from Long Island. I haven't had the opportunity to view a lot of things first hand and rely mostly on this board for information.

Based on what I've heard, this is how I see things unfolding.

The Isles mgmt. has increased ticket prices to approximately league average.

The payroll is actually a little higher than league average.

Attendance is poor, even though the team is doing better than average.

I get the feeling that the Isles mgmt. has been reasonable and is now reacting to poor attendance problems.

And for the record, I thought MM did the right thing by letting Weimer know ahead of time.

Old
11-13-2003, 03:35 AM
SteveL*

Goodenow bashes Islanders

And rightfully so. Unlike for some teams where a game can be the turning point to a season, this embarrassment is going to be the Isles turning point. Empty seats are on the way and players moral is going with it.

One question....Why not develop bergenheim overseas, having him play 25+ mins a game and save the salary and keep Weimer, a player who will be a valuable asset in the playoffs......

I cannot believe Mike Milbury is still in charge.....

I hope the NHLPA makes a big deal about this

Old
11-13-2003, 07:27 AM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
It's about 12:30 and no news yet...news sometimes travels slow. But I have heard nothing in terms of Weims getting picked up...

~TL

Old
11-13-2003, 07:30 AM
DLaCouture39

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice
It's about 12:30 and no news yet...news sometimes travels slow. But I have heard nothing in terms of Weims getting picked up...

~TL
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...13_121639_3524 Wiemer is now on the Wild.

Old
11-13-2003, 07:50 AM
NYIsles1*

It's official...

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/news/wiemer111303.html

The Minnesota Wild have claimed Jason Wiemer on waivers.

"We know we will miss Jason," said Islanders general manager Mike Milbury. "This was simply a practical business decision. To answer the question as to why we didn't make this move over the summer, there are two reasons. For starters, we viewed Jason as a valuable asset but the off-season saw little player movement with the uncertain economic situation around the league. Just as importantly, the maturation of some of our young players this season has forced our hand to find them playing time. Jason is a real pro who comes to work every night. We wish him the best and we're certain he'll be an integral part of the Minnesota Wild."

Old
11-13-2003, 08:01 AM
SteveL*

absolute joke

what a joke.....bergenheim should be in Europe gettin real ice time and Weimer should be playin here....end of story...........

Old
11-13-2003, 08:12 AM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Well aren't I a little slow today :p

Old
11-13-2003, 08:20 AM
Smith31

Not real sorry to see Wiemer go...especially because if he didn't go, someone with more value to the team would have had to go in his place. He should fit in well with Jacques' defensive system up in Minny.

I also don't have a problen with getting Bergie to the NHL level at this point. "developing" in Sweeden is quite different from practicing and getting regular shift in the NHL. Having him play in the NHL now will speed his development....definately better over the long term giving the roster spot to Bergie than to an underachieving Weimer.

Parrish will be next to go...and that will be all for the season....I hope

Old
11-13-2003, 08:29 AM
NYIsles1*

In the end seems like teams were rumored to have interest and given MM's reputation they always seem to be interested in his players.

This means a deal is there to be made and Milbury has to get
something , either a pick or whatever. Why it had to be right now with no return at all, leaves plenty of explaining and many of the same old questions that all reflect poorly on him.

Old news.

Old
11-13-2003, 10:11 AM
Fan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
In the end seems like teams were rumored to have interest and given MM's reputation they always seem to be interested in his players.

This means a deal is there to be made and Milbury has to get
something , either a pick or whatever. Why it had to be right now with no return at all, leaves plenty of explaining and many of the same old questions that all reflect poorly on him.

Old news.
Judging by the fact that very few trades have been made in the league since start of season, a waiver deal to shed salary is ok. So the Wild sign Gaborik and pick up Weimer. Shows you what a team can do with a new arena, high season ticket base and several sold out games. Weimer should fit LeMaire's system nicely.

Old
11-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Moosie

Wiemer

NY1, the return is the salary savings and the added ice time to a young player. I wish some of you would be more positive in your thinking. What is the point of seeing the worst side of every move Milbury makes? You aren't going to change a thing, and you make yourself miserable in the process. I believe Milbury wants the team to win games. Do you really think he doesn't?

Old
11-13-2003, 11:05 AM
disles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie
NY1, the return is the salary savings and the added ice time to a young player. I wish some of you would be more positive in your thinking. What is the point of seeing the worst side of every move Milbury makes? You aren't going to change a thing, and you make yourself miserable in the process. I believe Milbury wants the team to win games. Do you really think he doesn't?
Moosie you are missing the point--while most isles fans dont mind seeing Weimer and his salary go it was the WAY it was handled that has so many fans upset. Weimer was an ASSET and you dont give away assets for free in this league or else you will be in the lottery year after year. MM should have kept is mouth shut sent out feelers for Weimer and made a trade to get a pick or prospect and that coupled with the salary savings and added ice time to someone younger would have made this more acceptable.

Old
11-13-2003, 11:17 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by disles1
Moosie you are missing the point--while most isles fans dont mind seeing Weimer and his salary go it was the WAY it was handled that has so many fans upset. Weimer was an ASSET and you dont give away assets for free in this league or else you will be in the lottery year after year. MM should have kept is mouth shut sent out feelers for Weimer and made a trade to get a pick or prospect and that coupled with the salary savings and added ice time to someone younger would have made this more acceptable.

disles I agree 100%.

Could the Weimer move have been handled any worse?

This coming off a a summer where days after the team was spanked by a superior Sens team,the press immediately let's fans know the isles are shopping Peca,Hamrlik and Parrish,despite raising tix prices the 2nd yr in a row.

The only reason the nyi did not salary dump Peca,Parrish +Hamrlik over the summer was because of the backlash from tix buyers.Just before training camp we had Wang calling Peca to say he wasn't being moved and then we had MM saying no major salary slashing would occur.

I think the isles won't move the big names because Wang doesn't want empty seats while he's trying to sell the nba on LI fans being willing to support both the Net+Isles,instead we'll replace valuable young vets like 26 yr old Parrish($2.3m) and 27 yr old Scatchard($1.3m) with cheaper kids.I also expect they'll move Cairns($900,000).

Isles are moving further away from serious contention,saving a $3m-$5m while Wang offers up $285m for the Nets. :mad:

Old
11-13-2003, 11:21 AM
blitzkriegs

glad to see the Wild picked up Wiemer this way NYI do not have to eat a portion of his salary.

beyond the fact that most fans are upset about this situation, i would like to highlight some other areas of the team/MM that surround this waiver transaction:

(1) Every single player on this team has been acquired in some way (draft, trade, FA, etc...) by Mike Milbury.

(2) MM is responsible for signing or acquiring the salaries that made up the NYI budget and WENT OVER IT.

(3) MM obtained ZERO compensation for Wiemer b/c MM created the overbudget roster and than had to move a player (soon to be players) b/c of his budget mismanagement.

(4) Even if NYI sold out their all of their home games, a reduction in the budget would have happened any way.

(5) When NYI knew they had their own RFA's to sign, MM did reduce some payroll (not sigining Webb, negotiating a reduced deal with Snow after his UFA status) but that did not cover the raises for NYI RFA's AND he did not trim the fat to anticipate NHL contracts from the BST players and sigining Bergie. - I think many of MM's moves are made with too much emphasis on TODAY (or haste) without forecasting potential consequences of his actions. you gotta look at the big picture from both sides of the equation. at times, he fails to do that.

(6) MM made a dumb move of trying to make a 'change' when the team was playing very well and seemed like last years stories were behind the team. MM has gambled on HIS jekyll & Hyde team when he should have played 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' - however, how can he tell Wang that he doesn't want to tinker with the team, when he created this overbudget team????? basically, you can't...

(7) what will be interesting is if the NYI are in the playoff hunt come trade deadline, is if MM decides he needs to add "toughness" to the roster...that lacking detail he noticed two years ago...OR add "speed" , "conditioned players" , or "heart" for the OTT loss...

I am the rare MM supporter. However, I still think there is something 'behind the scenes' about this deal beyond 'strictly business' and the emergence of BST kids. I know MM doesn't care about his reputation, but Wiemer was a MM handpicked solution that failed and apparently he is willing to 'wash his hands of it' b/c he mismanaged the budget...

Old
11-13-2003, 12:08 PM
Smith31

CREW - I can't believe that you are giving Wang grief for wanting to cut salary while bidding on the Nets.

This guy has single-handidly saved the franchise. I don't begrudge him for wanting to stay within a budget that STILL loses him big $$ each year.

This guy bought the franchise as charity for Long Island (my favorite line I heard about negotiations between Wang/Kumar and Alfonse D'amato was when Wang said "Al, this is a complete money losing business" and D'amato responded, "Charles, don't think of it as a business.") HE BOUGHT THE FRANCHISE KNOWING IT WOULD BE A BIG $$ LOSER FOR YEARS TO COME. If he wanted to unload another 5-10million is salary while it would suck, I wouldn't get angry at Wang.

Get angry at Milbury....Peca....Stirling....Nyiles the defunct mascot......the janitor who hasn't cleaned the urinals at the coliseum since we thought Brad Dalgarno was the reincarnation of Clark Gilles....the 300lb. woman with the butch haircut sitting in front of you yelling "I love you Mario" while you are trying to watch the Isles play the Penguins from your $84 seat....I don't care, but don't get angry at Wang.

How quickly we forget about the meager payroll days of Travis Green as our 1st line center.

Old
11-13-2003, 12:40 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith31
CREW - I can't believe that you are giving Wang grief for wanting to cut salary while bidding on the Nets.

This guy has single-handidly saved the franchise. I don't begrudge him for wanting to stay within a budget that STILL loses him big $$ each year.

This guy bought the franchise as charity for Long Island (my favorite line I heard about negotiations between Wang/Kumar and Alfonse D'amato was when Wang said "Al, this is a complete money losing business" and D'amato responded, "Charles, don't think of it as a business.") HE BOUGHT THE FRANCHISE KNOWING IT WOULD BE A BIG $$ LOSER FOR YEARS TO COME. If he wanted to unload another 5-10million is salary while it would suck, I wouldn't get angry at Wang.

Get angry at Milbury....Peca....Stirling....Nyiles the defunct mascot......the janitor who hasn't cleaned the urinals at the coliseum since we thought Brad Dalgarno was the reincarnation of Clark Gilles....the 300lb. woman with the butch haircut sitting in front of you yelling "I love you Mario" while you are trying to watch the Isles play the Penguins from your $84 seat....I don't care, but don't get angry at Wang.

How quickly we forget about the meager payroll days of Travis Green as our 1st line center.
Months before we ever heard of Wang's interest in buying the isles,Charles Koppleman and Bob Gutkowski made a bid for the isles.The press,the fans,everyone thought it was a done deal in final negoiations,until Gutkowski made the mistake of publicly questioning 1) why the pols had ever signed off on the terrible SMG lease and 2)why MM had made some of his wilder gambles.

Gutkowski had a meeting with MM(and wasn't as wowed by MM's personality as Wang seems to be) .According to press,Gutkoski was going to fire Mad Mike as soon as Koppleman/Gutkowski became the new owners.

D'Amato had been hired by the SMG group to act as their public spokesman.He's the one who bought Wang in.

I'd rather had seen Koppleman/Gutkowski buy the isles and fire MM.

and imo Wang bought the isles for the same reason the Milsteins bought them and koppleman wanted them:developing the arena land.Wang wants a sports complex,Milsteins wanted a hotel+ shopping center.
Koppleman's a entertainment promoter and wanted to build a new arena to put on concerts.

Old
11-14-2003, 05:16 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie
To be honest, Ziggy Palffy being handed to the Rangers a few years ago would have made me a little miserable about being an Islander fan even after four cups. This is just about how things are handled and of course nothing we say or do will change how decisions are made. Still, we talk about them because were fans and like our team.

As for what happened the return in salary savings is fine and so is added ice time for young players who will benefit. As far as Wiemer goes I did not like his game here as a left wing and was outspoken about it all the time. I do not think it's Wiemer's fault, I think he is a better center.

But there is no upside to how this was done, planned out or handled and there is no spinning it to make it seem like a good thing or a positive. Milbury's wants to win as bad as the fans, however the way he goes about managing his team leaves him open for lots of criticism that is usually well deserved when these things happen because they seem to be avoidable.

This is Jason Wiemer's take:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/pione...ild/7257599.htm
Wild spend to land physical forward Wiemer

"I understand the need for the cut in salary. But some of the things that were said in the paper turned it from a deal to a personal thing," said Wiemer, who will be a restricted free agent after this season. "I don't think management there handled it properly. They almost made it seem like I had SARS. But I'm hoping for a fresh start in Minnesota."

Risebrough said Wiemer's name came up in conversations with Islanders general manager Mike Milbury before the season.
Wiemer's much closer to this than anyone and he feels he was not treated properly and blamed management's handing of things.

Sorry, but in this case MM deserves to take his knocks from the fans and if Minnesota was interested before the season he should have seen what was coming and gotten something in return like a draft pick. Darcy Regier had to deal several players at the deadline last year and always seemed to get something back. Why should the standard be lower in this situtation?

Oh, btw. The Post today reported the Rangers bid on Wiemer and just missed out to Minnesota. I can only imagine the negative response if that happened.

And we move on. Isles have an 8-5-2 record. Lot's of positives around this team, regardless of what tough decisions could be ahead.

Closed Thread