HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

You didnt miss anything - Oilers lose 3-1

Old
03-03-2012, 12:34 PM
cpnfantstk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
Is shooting the puck at the ref a penalty?
Lol..I was thinking the same thing. Was there ever a case where a player actually hit or pushed a ref and what were the consequences of it?

Last edited by cpnfantstk: 03-03-2012 at 12:43 PM.
cpnfantstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:09 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnfantstk View Post
Lol..I was thinking the same thing. Was there ever a case where a player actually hit or pushed a ref and what were the consequences of it?
Can't tell you about times where it has happened but shooting a puck at an official gets you a minimum of 3 games. Hitting an official gets you a minimum of 20. Pushing or spitting gets you a minimum of 10.

Rule 40 - Physical Abuse of Officials

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:12 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Can't tell you about times where it has happened but shooting a puck at an official gets you a minimum of 3 games. Hitting an official gets you a minimum of 20. Pushing or spitting gets you a minimum of 10.

It'd be pretty easy to shoot the puck at the ref and play it off as trying to clear the puck though.

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:40 PM
cpnfantstk

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

That along with a heavy fine in addition to lost salary. I would guess.
This gaining of respect to get the right call is **** ****. Don't care if thats the way its always been. Time to change that crap.

cpnfantstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
70 points or even 80 points doesn't change anything in the long term.

We almost snuck into the playoffs in 07-08 too (just missed with 85+ points) and in the long term it equaled jack squat. Didn't even mean anything for Gagner/Cogs/Nilsson's development.

We need the talent upgrade a Grigorenko or Dumba brings to the table more than a few gimme points down the stretch from teams that were looking ahead of us on the schedule.
What happened in 07-08 is totally irrelevant to what's going on with this team right now. I want tangible results and proof that this thing is heading in the right direction.

In any which case, we're not getting out of the bottom five regardless of how we finish the season so you can just relax - we're going to get a great player in the draft.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorchang View Post
Wait are you blaming khabilbulin for this loss? He couldve saved the 1st but thats something belanger has to do clear the puck in front of the net.

IF you wanna point fingers its at Potter. Terrible all night in both ends, pushes khabi on the 2nd for an empty net. EV shots on goal with potter on ice : Oilers 2 Stars 9. With potter on bench oilers 18 stars 2.

Potter needs to be a 5 6 d with sutton. Get him off the ice for those hard minutes and insert players schultz smid petry whitney who can actually defend and breakout.
Where did you get that idea from?

Old
03-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

And yeah, 5 on 5 the Oilers are absolutely atrocious. I'm surprised that Jordan Eberle has managed to score as many 5 of 5 goals as he has.

It's always something with this team. When we can score 5 on 5 and just need that one little PP goal to garner a victory... it doesn't happen. When we can score 5 on 5 our PK bleeds 3 PP goals against. *bangs head against the wall*

Old
03-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
You also thought Columbus would catch the Oilers after the Oilers went down in a game that they later won.

The team's not good, but you do seem to get overly pessimistic after losses. 7-11 is something this team, even after last night, could probably do.
Possibly.

Anyway, I might be panicking again after tonight if the Coyotes let the BJ's beat them to pull within 9 points. So prepare yourself.

Old
03-03-2012, 03:40 PM
CupofOil

Missed the game last night and couldn't care less about watching the replay based on the posts in this thread. I guess if we are going to draft high, we might as well go for the gusto and get the best draft pick possible as much as i hate the losses.

My question is..... Was the officiating as bad as some people are making it out to be or is it just a matter of typical HF overreaction to ref conspriacies against the Oilers?

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 03:43 PM
senorchang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Where did you get that idea from?
"15 shots against and you lose? I've got nothing else to say. Sad."

Was that a reference to bulin or not lol?

senorchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
My question is..... Was the officiating as bad as some people are making it out to be or is it just a matter of typical HF overreaction to ref conspriacies against the Oilers?
This was, what? The second or third time that the Oilers have garnered 0 powerplays in a game this year? Ridiculous. Tencer also tweeted after the game that the Oilers are averaging barely two powerplays a game over the past nine contests.

Are the Oilers partly to blame for their lack of officiating consideration over that time due to their unwillingness to get their hands dirty? Yeah, I guess. But those numbers are still suspiciously low.

Old
03-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorchang View Post
"15 shots against and you lose? I've got nothing else to say. Sad."

Was that a reference to bulin or not lol?
No. I was slamming the team. If the Stars are content to suck the energy out of the hockey game and aren't yielding anything off the rush you have to get the puck in deep and get your hands dirty to generate offence. The Oilers don't seem willing to do that under Renney.

Old
03-03-2012, 04:19 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
This was, what? The second or third time that the Oilers have garnered 0 powerplays in a game this year? Ridiculous. Tencer also tweeted after the game that the Oilers are averaging barely two powerplays a game over the past nine contests.

Are the Oilers partly to blame for their lack of officiating consideration over that time due to their unwillingness to get their hands dirty? Yeah, I guess. But those numbers are still suspiciously low.
Young teams especially in small markets rarely get much respect.
When/If the Oilers start winning and the kids gain more attention leaguewide, that will change but in the meantime, they will have to fight through it and start creating more offensive against these "dead puck era" type of teams. It is what it is unfortunately.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Young teams especially in small markets rarely get much respect.
When/If the Oilers start winning and the kids gain more attention leaguewide, that will change but in the meantime, they will have to fight through it and start creating more offensive against these "dead puck era" type of teams. It is what it is unfortunately.
I think the word is out that the Oilers' powerplay is pretty deadly and the league doesn't want to see teams on the cusp of the playoffs like Dallas losing hockey games because of it.

Am I bitter? Yeah, I'm bitter and Narnia's conspiracy theories look more and more plausible by the day.

Old
03-03-2012, 04:50 PM
ty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I watched the St Louis / Vancouver game yesterday (that was a let down) and the Canucks announcers complaining about the same thing . In fact I'm pretty sure they put a graphic showing that the Canucks have got fewer than two PP chances / game over the last string of games .

Now granted that's the Canucks complaining which is kind of like water dripping or grass growing . But if the Canucks aren't getting the calls then I think its pretty safe to say that PP chances are down league wide .

During the game the Canucks (Sedins in particular) were complaining bitterly to the officials on several occasions about hooking calls that were let go . TBH I thought they had a case .

Oilers gotta suck it up . Hockey is a five on five game .
Have to agree. Regardless of the reason for not getting any calls, the Oilers need to shut up and take it on the ice. Complaining helps no one. Starting to sound a little Canucky.

ty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:22 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
After this game, Milan Jurcina is the only defenceman in the league with a worse even strength goals against per 60 minutes played number than Corey Potter. This is including Potter's hot start.

Hard to figure out how this guy is still playing in the NHL.

Last edited by OilerTyler: 03-03-2012 at 05:37 PM.
OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
I think the word is out that the Oilers' powerplay is pretty deadly and the league doesn't want to see teams on the cusp of the playoffs like Dallas losing hockey games because of it.

Am I bitter? Yeah, I'm bitter and Narnia's conspiracy theories look more and more plausible by the day.
Most people realize that both teams normally get some bunk calls or non calls against them and it usually evens out. But for the last while the reffing has been beyond atrocious. The Leaf games, the unbelievable debacle that was the Philly game etc, and this game seem to be pointing towards a trend. I can understand if the league is covertly calling less and less obstruction calls but when Hall gets crosschecked in the face, and Eberle gets crosschecked in the face and Smyth gets punched in the nose without any of these called as well as the obstruction ones not getting called, it's tough not to ask what the hell is going on.

People can joke about tinfoil hats all they want but something stinks here. As much as people don't want to admit it corruption exists, and bias most definitely exists in NHL officiating.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Bob took it pretty far though, practically tin-foil hat far. He said the refs heard/read the criticism levied against them by the Oilers and decided before the game that they were going to retaliate by not giving the Oilers any PP's. Come on, that's a bit much.
Did you watch the game?

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote