HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Wilson fired (edit: Carlyle hired to replace him)

Old
03-03-2012, 02:14 PM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
RC never played with speed yet just inherited a team with lots of speed. RPG look ten times faster under BB's system and the puck is in their hands much more. RC like to chip pucks be physical and then get the puck to the point for shots with no traffic. RC likes to go d to d a million times and then pass the puck all the way across the ice to a man with no support. Or he does a stretch pass with no support.

As good of a coach RC is I don't see Toronto's players as his style of team. RC would be better served by coaching a group of thugs like that team in Russia with Brennan, Mirasty and that other retard.

I don't know anything about Eakins as a coach but if they are looking for someone to re-kindle the spirits of the players RC is not the option. He will skate them into the ground every practice, give them no days off, chew them out constantly, yell at them constantly from the bench, yell at the refs.

The Ducks took on the nature of RC and were in the box constantly...BB took over and un-discipline was not tolerated.

BB is the "type" of coach Toronto needs after having Ron Wilson rip them up in the media and hammer them in practice. You don't need to bag skate a team to teach them hard work and discipline. Short concise practices, positive mind set and attention to details is what turned around the Ducks who were nearly the worst team in the league.

We will see though...either way it should be fun to watch!

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:32 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

I have always been a huge fan of Randy Carlyle and Toronto is my second favorite team so I'm very excited by this. What Leaf fans can expect from Randy is structure. Each line will have a job to do, each D pair will have a specific assignment and there will be a formula that will be put into place. I hope Dave Farrish is brought on because he does wonders for a defense. Scott Neidermayer, Chris Pronger, Francois Beauchemin, Lubomir Visnovsky and Toni Lydman all had career years under Farrish and Carlyle.

Like a lot of people have said he likes a forechecking team but only if the players he has can forecheck. Teemu Selanne is not a forechecker. He moves players off with his speed and sneaks into open areas. I don't expect Carlyle to force Phil Kessel to change his game at all and he shouldn't. He's one of the best forwards in the league and should let him do his thing.

I think the one player who should benefit the most is Dion Phaneuf. Carlyle loves a big, minute-eating d-man who can shoot the puck and dole out some punishment. Expect the back line to get a lot more physical under Carlyle.

The best thing for Toronto would to acquire Ryan Getzlaf in the summer by any means necessary. Put him on that team without having to be the captain and have have weapons like Kessel and Lupul to work with and he'll be unstoppable.

I wish Randy well in Toronto and hope they can make the playoffs this year.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 03:14 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
I have always been a huge fan of Randy Carlyle and Toronto is my second favorite team so I'm very excited by this. What Leaf fans can expect from Randy is structure. Each line will have a job to do, each D pair will have a specific assignment and there will be a formula that will be put into place. I hope Dave Farrish is brought on because he does wonders for a defense. Scott Neidermayer, Chris Pronger, Francois Beauchemin, Lubomir Visnovsky and Toni Lydman all had career years under Farrish and Carlyle.

Like a lot of people have said he likes a forechecking team but only if the players he has can forecheck. Teemu Selanne is not a forechecker. He moves players off with his speed and sneaks into open areas. I don't expect Carlyle to force Phil Kessel to change his game at all and he shouldn't. He's one of the best forwards in the league and should let him do his thing.

I think the one player who should benefit the most is Dion Phaneuf. Carlyle loves a big, minute-eating d-man who can shoot the puck and dole out some punishment. Expect the back line to get a lot more physical under Carlyle.

The best thing for Toronto would to acquire Ryan Getzlaf in the summer by any means necessary. Put him on that team without having to be the captain and have have weapons like Kessel and Lupul to work with and he'll be unstoppable.

I wish Randy well in Toronto and hope they can make the playoffs this year.
Pronger won the hart trophy in St.Louis, clearly his best season.

cyris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 03:53 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

That roster is by far worse than anything he ever had in Anaheim. Very interested to see how he does.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:39 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Pronger won the hart trophy in St.Louis, clearly his best season.
Hart Trophy < Stanley Cup

If he didn't break his foot that year and miss 16 games he would have surpassed his career point totals by a lot and won the Norris.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
He's not anymore. Far too old school, which Leafs fans will see after training camp when their players have been skated to death and their team is at the bottom of the standings after 10-15 games.
We'll see about that. I'm willing to bet Toronto has a lot more success under Carlyle than they did under Wilson.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:

If he didn't break his foot that year and miss 16 games he would have surpassed his career point totals by a lot and won the Norris.
The Stanley Cup is a team achievement. The Hart is arguably the most prestigious individual award you can get.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
He's not anymore. Far too old school, which Leafs fans will see after training camp when their players have been skated to death and their team is at the bottom of the standings after 10-15 games.
You can't be serious. He's been one of the best coaches since the lockout.

Edit: Not to mention Carlyle, just last season, helped get the Ducks into the playoffs with a team that, really, probably should not have made it.

Old
03-03-2012, 05:04 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:

Hart Trophy = Personal accomplishment.

Stanley Cup = Team accomplishment.

You really aren't trying to argue that Pronger played better in 05/06 than he did in 99/00 are you?

Pronger in 99/00 had one of the greatest all around seasons by a Dman in NHL history. The only other Dman to win a Hart Trophy since WW2 was Bobby Orr.
Also in 99/00 no player in the nhl scored 100 points, in 05/06 7 players broke the 100 point mark.

99/00 was clearly Prongers best year, to suggest anything else is just asinine.

cyris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:37 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
It's so weird seeing Carlyle in that blue and white jacket instead of black and orange

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
What Leaf fans can expect from Randy is structure. Each line will have a job to do, each D pair will have a specific assignment and there will be a formula that will be put into place.
This is great news, because that was exactly the reason Wilson wasn't working out here. The amount of odd-man rushes we would give up on a nightly basis because of our forwards failing to support our d-men was staggering, and the amount of time we'd spend hemmed into our own zone because of poor support from our wingers was even worse.... especially considering our complete and utter inability to hem teams into their zone - a result of our non-existent cycle game. There seemed to be little to no structure at all. Even when the opposition were in perfect position defensively, our guys would try to rush up the ice rather than dump the puck in and beat the defenders to it.... which lead to constant neutral zone turnovers. It was painful some nights, especially against teams like Boston, watching the opposition simply line up at their blue line and wait for Kessel or Lupul to skate right into them and give up possession of the puck. When attempting to break out of our zone, our forwards would often be 25 feet further up the ice than they should've been.... the whole system (or lack thereof) was just an absolute mess.

So.... while firing Wilson was basically addition by subtraction anyway, it sounds like Carlyle is exactly what this team needed. Thanks for all your input, Ducks fans.

Kyle Doobas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Hart Trophy = Personal accomplishment.

Stanley Cup = Team accomplishment.

You really aren't trying to argue that Pronger played better in 05/06 than he did in 99/00 are you?

Pronger in 99/00 had one of the greatest all around seasons by a Dman in NHL history. The only other Dman to win a Hart Trophy since WW2 was Bobby Orr.
Also in 99/00 no player in the nhl scored 100 points, in 05/06 7 players broke the 100 point mark.

99/00 was clearly Prongers best year, to suggest anything else is just asinine.
Pronger was in the MVP conversation for most of the 2000s. The fact that defensemen rarely win the Hart reflects a flaw in the way the concept of an MVP is perceived by the Hart voters. Defensemen and goalies have by-and-large been far more useful to their clubs winning than any individual forward, certainly since the dead puck era began.

Regardless, Pronger's value to his team can be seen most easily in the difference between the team's performance while he was there vs. the season after he left, just pick a team.

To make a simplistic Hart=best season argument is actually what's asinine.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

6 minutes in Carlyle already looks pissed.

LMAO Gustavsson just fell down.

AND Montreal scores. He is fuming now

Sean Garrity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:30 PM
DarthYenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
It's so weird seeing Carlyle in that blue and white jacket instead of black and orange
I just told my brother that it's just as weird seeing Carlyle behind another team, than it is seeing Boudreau behind the Ducks. Although I'm sure it's easier on us Ducks fans since they're practically twins. Bruce has less hair.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Grats to Carlyle. First win as a Leaf. Hopefully the first of many... just not against us.

Old
03-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Gibson Les Palms

I'm real happy for Randy right now. Pretty indifferent about the Leafs.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Hockey Duckie

Happy for RC. Happy for Burke. Just not against us.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

First win by RC against Montreal with both Ducks and Leafs.

Happy for RC but I can't root for the Leafs to win because there's just too many of their fans who will be insufferable about it.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
I do watch Ducks game (most after Leafs) when possible. Of course, not possible to watch all since many, like tonight, start at 10:30 pm. But I was happy that Burke went with Carlyle.

Called it that he'll improve game of defensive defensemen, and Komisarek already had one of his top 10 games as a Leaf tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
First win by RC against Montreal with both Ducks and Leafs.

Happy for RC but I can't root for the Leafs to win because there's just too many of their fans who will be insufferable about it.
I am pretty sure that elder fans would be much more respectable, but these high school students and college freshmans and sophomore are pretty much intolerable on these boards.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Man, I have to hand it to you Ducks fans, such a classy organization and amazing fans. I am a huge die-hard Leafs fan at heart and Leafs have always been my only team that I have ever cheered throughout these 7 years that I have been watching hockey and they probably likely will be the only team throughout next 40 years or so, but if there ever is another franchise that I had or would like to look up to or give good amount of support to as much as I can, it would be the Ducks bar none. I also would like to apologize for all the cause that my fellow Leafs(delusional fans) have caused u guys by creating ridiculous and horrendous for your untouchables/star players. They can be real pain in the ass and it does get very annoying time to time but I hope u can find it in your hearts that there are also a lot of good fans that understands the other 29 teams situations and they will do everything they can no not get their hands on other teams property without actually giving the substantial/acceptable return back. We have constantly been warning the delusional fans but they are really lost in their fantasy and lacking the patience from so many disastrous years that they are losing their mind over nearly everything.

If u guys make it to playoffs, u can be sure I will be one of your biggest supporter throughout every game, hope u guys come out on the top and get yourself a another cup soon.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
I do watch Ducks game (most after Leafs) when possible. Of course, not possible to watch all since many, like tonight, start at 10:30 pm. But I was happy that Burke went with Carlyle.

Called it that he'll improve game of defensive defensemen, and Komisarek already had one of his top 10 games as a Leaf tonight.

I am pretty sure that elder fans would be much more respectable, but these high school students and college freshmans and sophomore are pretty much intolerable on these boards.
Don't get me wrong I don't hate Leafs fans at all, and had a great time when we went to a game there, I just can't stand a certain subset of mouthy arrogant ones, I'm sure you know who I'm talking about

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Yeah. Every fanbase has those. Unfortunately, when you have such a large presence those fans tend to stand out. People tend to notice the vocal annoyances more than the quiet and respectful ones.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Unholy
waifu

Got to watch a bit of the game and they seemed refreshed by the change (Which is normal after this kind of thing). Lots of forchecking and some solid play.

Good for RC to get back in there so fast, seems like a good fit to be back with Burke.

03-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:

Well I wouldn't say that is entirely true, the ones that do understand the situation of other organizations know their thing and they try everything in their hands to keep out of the ridiculous thinking.

FTR, I am only 17 still, and I think Ducks fans deserves some credits and praise for being such loyal and classy fans, and there whole organization is great as well.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote