HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tank habs lose 3-1

Old
03-03-2012, 11:40 PM
TheBuriedHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Didn't we trade it for Robert Lang?
I believe so.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Andros777

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
look at gomez's career....
Post just asked why people were high on Getzlaf.

And would you seriously bet against Getzlaf going forward? One down year on an otherwise perfect record is not nearly a good enough reason to think a guy is going to implode on the scale of Gomez.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:43 PM
schumway2

I just realized we traded Grabovski in 2008 for a 2nd round pick in 2010. How did that work?

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
I just realized we traded Grabovski in 2008 for a 2nd round pick in 2010. How did that work?
We traded the pick for a rental.

It's the kind of trade that makes your team better for 30 games then it makes you bad for years.

Mismanagement of assets.

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:47 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post

And would you seriously bet against Getzlaf going forward? One down year on an otherwise perfect record is not nearly a good enough reason to think a guy is going to implode on the scale of Gomez.
In all honestly, he kind of rode Perry's Hart trophy season last year. Earlier in the year he wasn't doing much (sort of like this season).

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:48 PM
GeneralManager*

Quote:

not a fan of him and would not like to cripple our team for a guy that looks disinterested half the time...

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Andros777

Quote:
Everyone was saying he wasn't an NHL player at the time. I remember during that year's playoffs they tried Chris Higgins and Sergei Kostitsyn at center before just playing Grabovski. I was so mad, it was plain to anyone who was watching who wasn't an idiot that he was good enough to play on that year's team.

Rumour was that he and the Kostitsyn's weren't getting along in the room so management bet on the Kostitsyns.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
We traded the pick for a rental.

It's the kind of trade that makes your team better for 30 games then it makes you bad for years.

Mismanagement of assets.
The Lang and Tanguay deals were actually good. We were 4th in the league in January.

The problem was we didn't keep Tanguay and Lang pretty much got a major injury and was at the end of his career.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
The Lang and Tanguay deals were actually good. We were 4th in the league in January.

The problem was we didn't keep Tanguay and Lang pretty much got a major injury and was at the end of his career.
Exactly. It was good moves at the time, but for only a handful of games. It's the kind of moves we should avoid at all cost. As much as Lang was great for us for the couple games he played, that 2nd round pick could've been a much better player for the future. Especially since it was a very high 2nd round pick.

As for Tanguay, I have no problem trading our first round pick for him. But we let him go for nothing not so long after.

It's the lack of vision that put the team where we at now. This is exactly the kind of move we should've avoided.

Old
03-03-2012, 11:56 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Everyone was saying he wasn't an NHL player at the time. I remember during that year's playoffs they tried Chris Higgins and Sergei Kostitsyn at center before just playing Grabovski. I was so mad, it was plain to anyone who was watching who wasn't an idiot that he was good enough to play on that year's team.

Rumour was that he and the Kostitsyn's weren't getting along in the room so management bet on the Kostitsyns.
I know that whole story. But how was it we traded a player for a draft pick 2 years down the road?

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Exactly. It was good moves at the time, but for only a handful of games. It's the kind of moves we should avoid at all cost. As much as Lang was great for us for the couple games he played, that 2nd round pick could've been a much better player for the future. Especially since it was a very high 2nd round pick.

As for Tanguay, I have no problem trading our first round pick for him. But we let him go for nothing not so long after.

It's the lack of vision that put the team where we at now. This is exactly the kind of move we should've avoided.
Well, after 07-08, management saw a window wide open to compete for a Cup, so they went out and got more depth at forward (since we simply couldn't score against the Flyers).

In hindsight, it doesn't look good. But at the time, it made sense.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Well, after 07-08, management saw a window wide open to compete for a Cup, so they went out and got more depth at forward (since we simply couldn't score against the Flyers).

In hindsight, it doesn't look good. But at the time, it made sense.
Yep, and this is why the Predators made bad moves by getting AKost, Gill and Gaustad for a first round pick and two 2nd round picks.

They will regret it in a few years. Unless they win the cup, but odds are they won't.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
I know that whole story. But how was it we traded a player for a draft pick 2 years down the road?
Because it's the Leafs.

They also traded their 4th round pick along with 1st and 2nd for Vesa Toskala and Brendan Bell.

The 4th turned into Craig Smith

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Yep, and this is why the Predators made bad moves by getting AKost, Gill and Gaustad for a first round pick and two 2nd round picks.

They will regret it in a few years. Unless they win the cup, but odds are they won't.
Unless they re-sign Gill and Kostitsyn then they came out ahead.

Gonna lose the Gaustad deal no matter what happens.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:

If you can go back in your memory at this time, we were one of the best team in the league.

Those moves made us real contender. You gotta sacrifice somethings to suceed.
Unfortunately, bad luck..

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

They don't have a choice, since they have no idea what's going to remain of their top pairing next season. If they don't go now, they might not get as good as this for years.

They also evaluated their prospect pool is deep enough for them to go through this without taking such a huge hit. Even if they lost BOTH Weber and Suter, they still have Blum and Ellis to look forward to moving forward. It might take a few years, but they'll have this team competing soon enough.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:14 AM
ROSSter

****ing waste of $200! no effort from the entire team.

ROSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:14 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

Agreed. If you're gonna get players, get players you're gonna keep, players you can use to build towards your ideal team.

There's little use having one of the best head scouts in the business if you don't give him the picks to work(much less trade the awesome picks he makes for garbage, like Gainey did with McDonagh). I'm convinced that the 2008 pick would've been Carlson.

Could you imagine the position we'd be in if we had McDonagh, Subban, and Carlson?

It's moves like these that convince me that little to no convex optimization, linear/quadratic programming, or game theory used in the making of hockey decisions.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Agreed. If you're gonna get players, get players you're gonna keep, players you can use to build towards your ideal team.

There's little use having one of the best head scouts in the business if you don't give him the picks to work(much less trade the awesome picks he makes for garbage, like Gainey did with McDonagh). I'm convinced that the 2008 pick would've been Carlson.

Could you imagine the position we'd be in if we had McDonagh, Subban, and Carlson?

It's moves like these that convince me that little to no convex optimization, linear/quadratic programming, or game theory used in the making of hockey decisions.
Seems like a Timmins pick, but all I know is Gardiner (who went 8 picks earlier) and Deschamps were players that they were really high on.

Someone posted something at that time that said Timmins was really high on Carlson too, but I'm really not sure.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:23 AM
BobbyFischer*

Imagine how much brighter the future would be if we still had Ryan McDonald..

Thanks Mr. Gainey!

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:31 AM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post

Thanks Mr. Gainey!
Who?

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:35 AM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post

Thanks Mr. Gainey!
He must be a really special player if you don't even know his last name.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:36 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Who?
I don't want to say his real name.. the hurt is too much.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:39 AM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
He must be a really special player if you don't even know his last name.
Bobby is only a little funny boy.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:48 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Bobby is only a little funny boy.
I was originally gonna type out Ryan McDonught but I figured that would be too obvious.