HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carlyle for Adams! - Leafs win 3-1 in Montreal

Old
03-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Drew75

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I agree guys like Ballard was terrible and more recently JFJ made some bad choices as well. Quinn and Fletcher version 1 (not the more recent attempt) were pretty good. THose teams made decent playoff pushes. Though, for me Burke is pretty unimpressive as a GM four years in. He has done a good job with the prospects but after four years but has been ineffective of making a difference for the leafs.
You spend WAY too much time worrying what he does or doesn't say.

As to Quinn and Fletcher - there were NO prospects at those times - they would have both been completely roasted here!

I give Burke next year - we should have a team that is easily in the playoffs next year (4th - 6th). From what I see, a couple of key offseason moves and we're there.

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:09 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

the leafs just beat the worst team in the conference. i feel this season's end is going to be epic

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:12 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Great game by the Leafs. Schenn, huge hits , Komi real solid. Frattin was huge as was the whole line. Our 3rd line tonight played well and got a lot of ice time.

Loved Don Cherry tonight....all of the people on here always attacked Burke for loving American born players and because Cherry is pissed at Burke and states the truth....people on here jab at Cherry. He has forgotten more about hockey than most know.

Burke is an idiot....and I do not care as long as he stops making stupid free agent signings. number 24 looked horrible and I expect his minutes to drop if he does not pick it up...Franson in Lilies out.

A good start for coach Carlyle...loved the energy. Win the next one and we will roll.
I am still in awe with most of you posters!!!

LISTEN CAREFULLY... Burke Does'nt do any drafting!!!!! He leaves it to the scouts!!!

Ontario players. Kadri!, Blacker! Mckegg!, Percy! leivo! Broll! etc etc...Honourable mention to Biggs who's whole family is from Ontario!!! He was born in the U.S. but he is Ontario through and though...

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:13 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I missed the game, coukd anyone comment on what Carlyle's 1st game behind the bench was like. What were the things he did right? Did Connolly skate on the top line? Did the Leafs make many mistakes? Play a risky style of game?

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
the leafs just beat the worst team in the conference. i feel this season's end is going to be epic
That's a load of *********.

According to several people in this thread, present company included, the Leafs are the worst team in the conference.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:15 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
You spend WAY too much time worrying what he does or doesn't say.

As to Quinn and Fletcher - there were NO prospects at those times - they would have both been completely roasted here!

I give Burke next year - we should have a team that is easily in the playoffs next year (4th - 6th). From what I see, a couple of key offseason moves and we're there.
Quinn/Fletcher was a different era. The leafs didn't need to 'develop' they "bought" UFA with their big budget. And Fletcher made some incredible trades (Sundin and Gilmour) in which he traded prospects. Those were great trades - much better then what Kessel trade will turn out to be.

At any rate, how can one knock those GMs and teams that made playoff runs and claim this team that hasn't got into the playoffs once in 4 years is somehow better?

I'm saying Burke retool has been average (and the fact that he hasn't made playoffs some would say below average but I recognize the prospect pool so rank it average).

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
I think I said this before!! worst team in the conference beat us 3 times to keep us out of a playoff spot!!!

Old
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I missed the game, coukd anyone comment on what Carlyle's 1st game behind the bench was like. What were the things he did right? Did Connolly skate on the top line? Did the Leafs make many mistakes? Play a risky style of game?
Carlyle outcoached Cunneyworth. Line-matched the crap out of Montreal. Connolly skated on the third line. Connolly - Steckel - Kulemin. Leafs didn't make too many mistakes, the D looked calm back there and didn't pinch all the time.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:18 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
I am still in awe with most of you posters!!!

LISTEN CAREFULLY... Burke Does'nt do any drafting!!!!! He leaves it to the scouts!!!

Ontario players. Kadri!, Blacker! Mckegg!, Percy! leivo! Broll! etc etc...Honourable mention to Biggs who's whole family is from Ontario!!! He was born in the U.S. but he is Ontario through and though...
None of the players you listed are playing in the NHL....Biggs is a US born player. played for the USA as well.

I also said free agent signings....not drafts!

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:18 PM
blueboat
I_am_Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
Only coach with .1000 winning %
I hope you meant 100% rather than 10%. Either way, the energy was great, and the fans from both the Leafs and Canadiens, dare I say it, were well into it. Great hockey!

blueboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:21 PM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Just watched the coach's corner. Don has completely lost his mind.

I wasn't born in Canada,and it absolutely blows my mind that this clown is so famous and popular here. He's totally insane.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Einzakin

Is there like post game interviews by Carlyle or any of the players?

Einzakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:23 PM
OlderTimer*

[QUOTE=number72;45471419]Quinn/Fletcher was a different era. The leafs didn't need to 'develop' they "bought" UFA with their big budget. And Fletcher made some incredible trades (Sundin and Gilmour) in which he traded prospects. Those were great trades - much better then what Kessel trade will turn out to be.

At any rate, how can one knock those GMs and teams that made playoff runs and claim this team that hasn't got into the playoffs once in 4 years is somehow better?

I'm saying Burke retool has been average (and the fact that he hasn't made playoffs some would say below average but I recognize the prospect pool so rank it average).[/QUOTE

Seriously...I am tired of guys like you that know everything!!

What in your opinion is the Kessel trade going to turn out to be??

You have the Floor!!!

Everyone complains about the Kessel trade!!

So far it has been Burkes Best trade!!! You can't see it???

Good for you!!

THE KESSEL TRADE IS NOT EVEN CLOSE RIGHT NOW..............

LEAFS WON HANDS DOWN!!!!!!! DON'T ANY OF YOU GET IT?????

YOU GUYS MAKE ME LAFF....KESSEL ..BEST PLAYER IN THE DEAL BAR NONE!!!!

GET OVER YOUR 2 1STS AND A 2ND....

KESSEL...BEST PLAYER IN THE EFFING DEAL!!!

Old
03-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post

I wasn't born in Canada,and it absolutely blows my mind that this clown is so famous and popular here. He's totally insane.
he's the most ignorant person i have ever seen

how any one takes him seriously is beyond me

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:27 PM
leafsforlife
The Dream

vCash: 50
did we win or did the tank habs win?

leafsforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimTime View Post
Appreciated Bozak stepping up his hitting game today. Love this guy, what a nice pickup.
Wait, did someone just appreciate Bozak? You'd swear this board hates him, but he's actually a pretty good player.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:30 PM
OlderTimer*

[QUOTE=diceman934;45471649]None of the players you listed are playing in the NHL....Biggs is a US born player. played for the USA as well.

I also said free agent signings....not drafts![ and sooner or later, some of those will be in the nhl as Ontario born players!!!

As for Biggs...I don't give a rats ass where he was born!!!!

His family is from ontario( did you even watch the draft)?

I always said that imaginary line is what seperates us from the americans...Biggs is more Canadian than what his birth certificate or what his passport says!!!

his heart came from Canada!!!!!
Same with Parise!!!!

Last edited by OlderTimer*: 03-03-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post

You have the Floor!!!

Good for you!!

I'm saying Sundin and Gilmour trades are > Kessel trade.

I didn't make judgement on the kessel trade as being good or bad, just that the trade for Sundin and Gilmour were better.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ari91

Quote:
Didn't get to see the game tonight.
How was Gus? .955 save % looks pretty convincing. Also,he looked good in game in 6 minutes.
He was shaky at first but the bad plays he made in the beginning thankfully didn't cost the team any goals against. After giving up the first goal, he really buckled down and made some great saves for the team. I particularly liked Carlyle's comments about the goaltending which I think is a message to his team of where the accountability lies in the locker room with each person. He said it's not the goalie's job to win games for his team, it's his job to give his team a chance to win and he gave credit to Gus for doing just that.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:31 PM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Wait, did someone just appreciate Bozak? You'd swear this board hates him, but he's actually a pretty good player.
Dude,duuude. You don't say stuff like that around here ಠ_ಠ

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:34 PM
diceman934

[QUOTE=OlderTimer;45472063]
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Quinn/Fletcher was a different era. The leafs didn't need to 'develop' they "bought" UFA with their big budget. And Fletcher made some incredible trades (Sundin and Gilmour) in which he traded prospects. Those were great trades - much better then what Kessel trade will turn out to be.

I'm saying Burke retool has been average (and the fact that he hasn't made playoffs some would say below average but I recognize the prospect pool so rank it average).[/QUOTE

You have the Floor!!!

Good for you!!

Kessel trade was not a great example to post...we lost that trade and bad. Seguin, Hamilton,and Knight. Ask Burke if he would trade Kessel for that package right now.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einzakin View Post
Is there like post game interviews by Carlyle or any of the players?
TSN has Carlyle's post game comments so far but neither TSN or Leafs site have player's post game comment. I saw the post game interview with Lupul after the game so there should definitely be player post game comments up on the site later today.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Dude,duuude. You don't say stuff like that around here ಠ_ಠ
i say what i want, and sometimes get in **** haha.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:37 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
]

Kessel trade was not a great example to post...we lost that trade and bad. Seguin, Hamilton,and Knight. Ask Burke if he would trade Kessel for that package right now.
He'd ask why he would want to part with the best player in the deal.[/quote]

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:

I'm still in disbelief that they even allow the guy to spout that kind of bigotry on a program that thousands of children tune into every weekend, let alone present him as some sort of 'icon'.

The segment is called "Coach's Corner", and yet all he ever even seems to do anymore is rant and rave about his personal disputes and sing the praises of the military. It's a shame Burke wasn't successful in getting him pulled off the air in favour of someone who might actually be able to provide some modicum of insight into the game.

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote