HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Leblanc recalled again / Engqvist back to Hamilton

Old
03-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Absolutely. As far as I'm concerned, tonight proved that Leblanc needs more time in Hamilton, as does Geoffrion. It's hard to blame management though with guys like Gionta, Moen, Darche and Gomez all out of the line-up.
You can blame them for keeping up the wrong players though. This is garbage time, basically a chance to try things out for next season. Engqvist's contract is up at season's end, 24 years old, and has led an offensively inept Dogs team in goals and points (his production prorates to 33 goals and 63 points over 80 games). This is a perfect chance to give him an extended look since there's nothing to lose.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
You can blame them for keeping up the wrong players though. This is garbage time, basically a chance to try things out for next season. Engqvist's contract is up at season's end, 24 years old, and has led an offensively inept Dogs team in goals and points (his production prorates to 33 goals and 63 points over 80 games). This is a perfect chance to give him an extended look since there's nothing to lose.
Pretty much explained it to a tee with that nothing to lose comment. I just don't see Leblanc, Engqvist or even Geoffrion as an NHL regular next season, barring injury of course. And the only chance Bourque has of being a solid hockey player that puts up points is doing it in the ECHL.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Pretty much explained it to a tee with that nothing to lose comment. I just don't see Leblanc, Engqvist or even Geoffrion as an NHL regular next season, barring injury of course. And the only chance Bourque has of being a solid hockey player that puts up points is doing it in the ECHL.
Leblanc has offensive development to lose. This reminds me of the Pacioretty development path too much. Hopefully he'll get his AHL time in eventually as Pacioretty did.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:43 PM
rockjngo

vCash: 500
Louis Leblanc doesn't have the strength yet. He needs to put on 40lbs. He's endurance is weak, need to work on that. Plus he doesn't have the hands like Claude Giroux. He reminds me a bit of Michael Ryder.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
Louis Leblanc doesn't have the strength yet. He needs to put on 40lbs. He's endurance is weak, need to work on that. Plus he doesn't have the hands like Claude Giroux. He reminds me a bit of Michael Ryder.
Your expectations might be a bit high...

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
40lbs? I'm sure Laraque can give him a hand in that kind of weight gaining.

Old
03-04-2012, 04:23 AM
jphabs

Quote:
I think there's something you don't understand about the human body.

jphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 06:30 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Sigh, why not send Leblanc down....he's not ready and has more to benefit from AHL time than playing 4th line minutes. Can't wait until we have managerial cleansing.
I agree for Leblanc. Time to see other kids up.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 07:06 AM
LeMAD

I can definitly see the kids potential, but he needs a couple of years in the AHL, plus some intense weightlifting.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 07:18 AM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

Callups and so on, are like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic now. Only another 15 games and it will all be over.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:37 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Callups and so on, are like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic now. Only another 15 games and it will all be over.
Fifteen games this year and 82 games next year unless someone expects a #3 overall pick to suddenly become a dominant NHL player and we can find a couple of NHL defensemen somewhere.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:44 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Andreas Engqvist isn't a fourth line player. Weird callup. Give the kid a chance to show some of his offensive talent with Plekanecs.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I really really don't want to see Engqvist anymore.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:48 AM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaHabsFan View Post
Andreas Engqvist isn't a fourth line player. Weird callup. Give the kid a chance to show some of his offensive talent with Plekanecs.
That is what I'm hoping they do every time they call him back up.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I really really don't want to see Engqvist anymore.
Crazy, I thought he played great in his limited minutes last night. Had a few nice plays and a couple of blocked shots. He could still become a solid checking line player.

I don't think his offensive game will ever translate - but it's hard to tell for sure when he's playing with Staubitz and Nokelainen.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:04 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I can definitly see the kids potential, but he needs a couple of years in the AHL, plus some intense weightlifting.
I think Leblanc needs another 30-60 games in the AHL. Two years is more than what would ideally be needed, and if it happened, it would be because his development stalled somewhere.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:14 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Indeed. Unless its fat..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:25 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The organization made a mistake last season by anointing Engqvist as the 4th line center going into the season without him having won the job in the NHL.

That led to the panic move to get Nokelainen.

This team needs to realize, you build your club based on what you see in the NHL, if a rookie comes the AHL and beats out a roster player in the regular season, then you can move the roster player for another asset. Instead, we wasted an asset to fill a hole that we knew existed.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

MONTREAL – The Montreal Canadiens announced Monday that forward Andreas Engqvist has been recalled from the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs. He will join the team in Calgary.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:27 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
MONTREAL – The Montreal Canadiens announced Monday that forward Andreas Engqvist has been recalled from the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs. He will join the team in Calgary
well the dogs are off till Friday and they needed him for yesterdays game.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Nah, he reminds me of Peverley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The organization made a mistake last season by anointing Engqvist as the 4th line center going into the season without him having won the job in the NHL.

This team needs to realize, you build your club based on what you see in the NHL, if a rookie comes the AHL and beats out a roster player in the regular season, then you can move the roster player for another asset. Instead, we wasted an asset to fill a hole that we knew existed.
Even though I agree, how are Trotter and a 7th assets?

I thought Engqvist played great last game and made some nice defensive plays. The downside is, he seems to have 0, or less confidence in the offensive zone.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:28 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Tell me about it. I'd have a hard time naming more than 5 players with better hands than Giroux

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

So trading for Nokelainen last summer instead of during the season would NOT have been a panic move but giving Engqvist a shot for a month was?

One way or another keeping Engqvist cost the team nothing in the standings. They gave up next to nothing for Nokelainen, no big deal.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:11 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

why so much yo-yoing?

i swear if these moves are made any closer apart the team will be sending them down and calling them back up twice, each, in the same day.

the only logic i can think of is for the cap and not to thin out the dogs too long. but i don't think they need to nickel and dime with the cap at this time, and there's a max of callups no? second, who cares about the dogs, they're a development team, not an actual team that sticks together to win championships of any value. so who cares if all their good guys are 'stuck' here.

i've taken ***** longer than palushaj and engqvist have spent consecutive time spent called up.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:26 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

How many more callups can we make til the end of the season? Just leave them in Hamilton so they can try to make the AHL playoffs.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote