HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injury Talk 4.0: Markov practicing with the team, now with contact

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2012, 12:28 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Contender? Whoever think that is dreaming in technicolour.

However, adding Markov (in reality) should at the very least add a Top 4 defenseman (if not a stud #1 like he was) and vastly improve the balance of our defense corps. Personally I don't think this in itself is enough to make us contenders, however it would catapult us back into our normal territory of fighting for a playoff spot as opposed to being cellar dwellers.

With a few more moves such as acquiring another Top 4 D-man on top of Markov, and another Top-6 forward to allow Bourque to fall into the Top 9.. I think then, we can say this team has a serious chance at being a team that can compete for home ice advantage at the least in the Eastern conference.
I agree that is the most realistic way to approach the next season. But then another problem arises. To acquire those kind of players the Habs would need to get rid of Kaberle and Gomez. Are they capable of that?

Old
03-03-2012, 12:34 PM
ProMath

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I agree that is the most realistic way to approach the next season. But then another problem arises. To acquire those kind of players the Habs would need to get rid of Kaberle and Gomez. Are they capable of that?
I don't think any number one defenseman (say Suter) will hit the market ... and forgot about trading for one, we can't pay the price. More realistic would be a number 2-3-4 defensman in the 4-5 millions range. Habs have enough cap space for that (with Gomez being sent down, even without they could be fine).

I don't expect Habs to sign another defenseman if Markov is back before the end of the season though.

I think they will try to acquire or sign a quality forward to play with Plekanec and on the P.P

Last edited by ProMath: 03-03-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old
03-03-2012, 12:38 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMath View Post
I don't any number one defenseman (say Suter) will hit the market ... and forgot about trading for one, we can't pay the price. More realistic would be a number 2-3-4 defensman in the 4-5 millions range. Habs have enough cap space for that.

+

Gomez Can easily be sent down to the minor IF the occasion of signing/trading for a top6 forward came up.
There is absolutely no way in hell that Gomez will be on this roster to start next season. No way. There will either be a round of amnesty buy-outs to co-incide the new CBA or he will be assigned to the Bulldogs.

Should Gomez still be on this team, it means Molson is a cheap SOB who is unwilling to do what it takes to win and he and his ownership group should effectively be boycotted in whatever way possible. Gomez has been given more opportunities to bounce back then any player I can recall in a very long time.

Old
03-03-2012, 12:47 PM
ProMath

Quote:
There is absolutely no way in hell that Gomez will be on this roster to start next season. No way. There will either be a round of amnesty buy-outs to co-incide the new CBA or he will be assigned to the Bulldogs.

Should Gomez still be on this team, it means Molson is a cheap SOB who is unwilling to do what it takes to win and he and his ownership group should effectively be boycotted in whatever way possible. Gomez has been given more opportunities to bounce back then any player I can recall in a very long time.
You're right. I edited my post ... was pretty stupid of mine to even think there is a slight change he can be back with the team !

Shame on me eheheheh.

Old
03-03-2012, 02:10 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMath View Post
You're right. I edited my post ... was pretty stupid of mine to even think there is a slight change he can be back with the team !

Shame on me eheheheh.
If Molson wants to sell his expensive season's tickets and luxury suites for next season, he will have to GARANTEE that Gomez will be gone once and for all.

Old
03-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Savard didn't exactly prevent the Bruins from winning a Cup, did he?

Besides, all medical opinions had Markov coming back and ready for opening day. To let him walk at the time would have been moronic.
Not every team has 3 1st line centres to fall back on. Even without Savard they still have a top 3 1-2 punch in the league at centre with Krejci/Bergeron. If Savard and Bergeron were both free agents at the same time and the Bruins decided to keep Savard over Bergeron much like we did with Markov and Wiz things would be much different.

Old
03-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDoNot View Post
Ohh the things you see on the internets sometimes.. You'll be eating your words shortly and its not like it came out of your pocket so what do you care if we signed Markov?? Or are you one of those with the beliefs that one of the guys driving the tank down in Columbus would have brought this team out of the slumps?

Seriously guys get a job, hobby, girl-friend or something because when it comes down to the point we're you're bashing a GM for resigning his STAR player then you're over analyzing and looking to hard for things to complain about. I'll play your game though.. Would you sign Crosby to a contract right now ?
No, I wouldn't sign Crosby to a contract right now if it meant having a jettison a productive player who has proven can excel on the team.

Old
03-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Not every team has 3 1st line centres to fall back on. Even without Savard they still have a top 3 1-2 punch in the league at centre with Krejci/Bergeron. If Savard and Bergeron were both free agents at the same time and the Bruins decided to keep Savard over Bergeron much like we did with Markov and Wiz things would be much different.
That would make sense except the difference between those players aren't the same. Wiz is nowhere near Markov's abilities. Bergeron however, is arguably the best two way forward in the NHL on top of excelling in faceoffs.
Wiz is not good defensively. Markov and Wiz are not comparable, at all.

But that being said, we could have retained Wiz, although I'm not interested in his contract at all. The mistake came from re-signing Gill, trying to re-sign Hammer, and turning towards Campoli when it didn't work.
So stop raging on the Markov deal, that one had to be done. What wasn't done was get depth, which is what a guy like Wiz is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
If we are counting on Subban and Gorges to be #1 and #2, we are in the same boat as this season. They are fine players, but this team needs a true #1 (say, Suter), and push Subban to #2, Markov #3, Gorges #4. But that is not a realistic expectation with the salary cap. You can't have a guy making $5.75 and be your #3. That's my issue.
I disagree. Our problem this year comes from the poor depth on defense, not because PK and Gorges struggled. They actually do a good job handling the toughest minutes.
Having Markov as a #3 wouldn't be a problem, it'd be a luxury.
And yes, of course, having Suter would make it all better.

Old
03-03-2012, 04:34 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I disagree. Our problem this year comes from the poor depth on defense, not because PK and Gorges struggled. They actually do a good job handling the toughest minutes.
Having Markov as a #3 wouldn't be a problem, it'd be a luxury.
And yes, of course, having Suter would make it all better.
No they don't. They shouldn't be playing the tough minutes. Well Gorges should be. Alongside a younger version of Hamrlik. Subban should be on the 2nd pairing/1st PP/2nd PK. He should be let loose offensively and paired with a guy who will have his back in the D zone. Gorges-Subban would be an excellent 2nd pair.

Old
03-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That would make sense except the difference between those players aren't the same. Wiz is nowhere near Markov's abilities. Bergeron however, is arguably the best two way forward in the NHL on top of excelling in faceoffs.
Wiz is not good defensively. Markov and Wiz are not comparable, at all.
Wiz is a legit top 4 dman. His defensive woes are greatly overstated as we saw first hand last season. His defensive game might not be on par with Markov's from 3 years ago, but do you know who else won't be as good defensively as Markov 3 years ago? Markov.

Old
03-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Wiz is a legit top 4 dman. His defensive woes are greatly overstated as we saw first hand last season. His defensive game might not be on par with Markov's from 3 years ago, but do you know who else won't be as good defensively as Markov 3 years ago? Markov.
Markov on a bad leg is still better than Wiz.
That is precisely the point. Markov is a #1 Dman, Wiz is a top 4, there is a massive difference between the two.

I can tell you that Wiz is better than a not playing Markov, that I'll agree with.

But as I said, I don't know why you're making this a Markov vs Wiz question. It wasn't.
It was a Wiz vs Gill/Hammer/Campoli/Spacek question.

Old
03-03-2012, 05:01 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Markov wearing a contact jersey?

Old
03-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
No they don't. They shouldn't be playing the tough minutes. Well Gorges should be. Alongside a younger version of Hamrlik. Subban should be on the 2nd pairing/1st PP/2nd PK. He should be let loose offensively and paired with a guy who will have his back in the D zone. Gorges-Subban would be an excellent 2nd pair.
Yes, they do.
Subban can play upwards of 28min a game and be effective. That's not a 2nd pairing D.
PK is a top 2 D. Gorges, sure, because of his lack of offense, he's better suited as a top4 D. But the fact remains that they are not the problem this year, it's the lack of depth.

Old
03-03-2012, 09:25 PM
zx81

So Moen has not played since his wife gave birth to their daughter.

I got it, the mysterious "injury" is a postpartum syndrome.

Old
03-03-2012, 09:27 PM
BobbyFischer*

Anyone else find it so annoying when a reporter asks Markov if he can say when he will be back and he replies with "uuuh.... NO." and laughs like crazy.

It was cute at first, but now in feb/march, it's not cute anymore, it's not funny, it is disgusting.

Old
03-03-2012, 09:28 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post

Watch Moen go and sign with Boston in the offseason..

Old
03-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Watch Moen go and sign with Boston in the offseason..
And miss out on a chance on playing on the second line next year? At this rate he's our 4th or 5th most talented winger.

Old
03-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post

Didn't he play the day after his wife had the baby?

Old
03-03-2012, 09:52 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Didn't he play the day after his wife had the baby?
The day after or the same day, not too sure but he could not finish that game so my theory holds up

Old
03-03-2012, 10:42 PM
bsl

Quote:
I called him an idiot at the time. Its not disingenuous at all. It was an idiodic move. Would you go sign Marc Savard to that contract right now?
I think you're argument is somewhat idiodic as well, but maybe that's just me.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:51 PM
bsl

Quote:
Well said.

Markov's game is cerebral, always has been as always will be. He was a very fluid skater, but if his knee is solid now he should able to return to a very good level. He has an outstanding skillset but his biggest asset is his brain, almost like Datsyuk but on defense.

Markov-Subban is going to be a deadly 1-2 punch. Subban's game is going to grow leaps and bounds just from getting to watch this guy on the ice.
So will Emelin's. I love Emelin, and the thought that Marky can hopefully teach him the D game the next 2 years makes me very happy.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:52 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I called him an idiot at the time. Its not disingenuous at all. It was an idiodic move. Would you go sign Marc Savard to that contract right now?
Comparing a severe concussion to knee surgery is pretty "idiodic" if you ask me.

Old
03-03-2012, 11:03 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfanatical View Post
What do you mean it didn't come out of our pocket? Do you buy tickets, sweaters, flags, shirts etc.. ? If yes, then it certainly does come from our pockets,
Marky's contract = high prices for fans. Shocking. Welcome to 21st century sports. It's too bad, but there it is. You're in a huge demand market.

So you want Habs to be crap but cheap to watch? I can buy that. Prices are too high for the average working stiff.

The thing is I want the Habs to be excellent, and that takes lots of cash, and paying great players who need a long time to recover from injury.

I live in the most expensive city in the world. So I choose where to spend big money. A good steak, fine wine, when I can. But I understand the market forces.

You need to pay for the Habs to win. That includes signing Marky at risk. It's a legitimate and intelligent expense.

Old
03-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/04...ith-eye-injury

Gomez out indefinitely, as brutal as he at hockey I hope its not anything too serious with his eye.

Old
03-04-2012, 08:49 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/04...ith-eye-injury

Gomez out indefinitely, as brutal as he at hockey I hope its not anything too serious with his eye.
Why not?

If he's on LITR he's off the books as far as cap hit goes.

Closed Thread