HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Subban76

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I haven't seen Galchenyuk ranked that high... right now some have him at 7 (McKenzie), 8 (RLR), 16 (ISS) and 6 (McKeen's). Maybe he climbs with a dynamite playoff run, but for now, it looks as though draft fans (especially on this board) are creating a myth out of early reports of potential and youtube highlights.
People put him there to be conservative because of his ijury and he did not play yet this year. The guy was viewed as a potential top pick with Yakupov and Grigs at beginning of season. The talent is there to be top 3. If he comes back strong and as good playoffs, he will rise like Huberdeau did last year.

I personnaly want that kid. Too much question marks about Grigs drive unlike Galchenyuk who's known as a great teammate.

THE most complete player of all 3.

Old
03-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
People put him there to be conservative because of his ijury and he did not play yet this year. The guy was viewed as a potential top pick with Yakupov and Grigs at beginning of season. The talent is there to be top 3. If he comes back strong and as good playoffs, he will rise like Huberdeau did last year.

I personnaly want that kid. Too much question marks about Grigs drive unlike Galchenyuk who's known as a great teammate.

Yeah he's interesting that's for sure. He needs to play a bit though. Using a high pick on an injured player is a HUGE risk.

And who else here can picture the Oilers NOT drafting a D this year? Seems to me this is their year to draft the best D available in the draft (if they don't win the lottery of course)

They will probably get the second overall pick so their decision will have a HUGE impact if we want to get a forward...

Old
03-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Our probable top 5 pick will be of great value come draft day, I wonder if Timmins player is picked, if the direction would trade down (not too much, imagine if we could pick Galchenyuk at 6 or 7, very possible) to get another 2nd rounder. Wouldn't mind Samuelsson, Hudon, Marcantuoni (could slip to 3rd round though). Wilson, Matteau, if they fall out of the 1st round. Kerdiles, Zharkov, Ebert, Curcurruto... No top end talent, but many interesting ones...

Old
03-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Roulin

Quote:

Even that, I find to be overstated, a myth that has grown since his absence. In McKenzie's preseason rankings, Galchenyuk was 5th. In RLR's first ranking of the year in October, he was 7th.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
And who else here can picture the Oilers NOT drafting a D this year? Seems to me this is their year to draft the best D available in the draft (if they don't win the lottery of course)

They will probably get the second overall pick so their decision will have a HUGE impact if we want to get a forward...
Agreed about the Oilers. I also think they'll want a player who will be NHL ready sooner than later, so I bet Murray is their guy.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I agree about the defensemen argument. The best way to build a team is net out. But you do need a center! Really tough.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:14 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Yeah he's interesting that's for sure. He needs to play a bit though. Using a high pick on an injured player is a HUGE risk.

I wrote a blog about it a few days ago. I personally think that the Oilers already have a few good D's coming.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=42700

Old
03-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Even that, I find to be overstated, a myth that has grown since his absence. In McKenzie's preseason rankings, Galchenyuk was 5th. In RLR's first ranking of the year in October, he was 7th.
Red Line is very original, sometimes weird in it's rankings. They stir discussion, which is great. But in that same ranking, Ebert is 4th, Samuelsson 5th, and Grigorenko 9th... says a lot.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Red Line is very original, sometimes weird in it's rankings. They stir discussion, which is great. But in that same ranking, Ebert is 4th, Samuelsson 5th, and Grigorenko 9th... says a lot.
True!

Still, the McKenzie ranking is the opposite in a way, an accurate reflection of consensus. I'm having trouble finding pre or early season ISS and McKeen's lists, but I stand by my point that Galchenyuk's status has been exaggerated since his injury.

Fans want a prospect they can dream on, in a way Galchenyuk provides that by not playing. Imagine what fans would be saying about Grigorenko if he hadn't played all year to show his flaws - he'd be a god on these boards!

Old
03-04-2012, 09:18 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I keeping leaning more and more towards hoping we draft Galchenyuk, will be interesting to see how he looks when he comes back.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I wrote a blog about it a few days ago. I personally think that the Oilers already have a few good D's coming.

All those Ds are good at best, but not great. No future top pairing guy in there, which the Oils need.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I keeping leaning more and more towards hoping we draft Galchenyuk, will be interesting to see how he looks when he comes back.
He's the true definition of high-risk/high-reward prospect, IF his knee is fully healed, he could be a franchise forward, has the size and skillset for that. I, too, hope we draft him.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
All those Ds are good at best, but not great. No future top pairing guy in there, which the Oils need.
Dumba and Murray may have that potential, if the first cuts a bit on risky puck rushing, and if the second develop his offense a bit more. After that, I agree with you.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:37 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

BREAKING NEWS

Grigorenko gave up the center position for goaltending.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
He's the true definition of high-risk/high-reward prospect, IF his knee is fully healed, he could be a franchise forward, has the size and skillset for that. I, too, hope we draft him.
Timmins won't go with the he high risk player this high in the draft. Galchenyuk will need to show what he's got after his injury.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:02 AM
ChoseLa

We have a couple of good defencemen coming our way, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis and Bennet. We already have some interesting young defencemen on the team, Subban, Emelin and Diaz. The vets are ok, Gorges and Markov.

This is way more deep than our centerline consisting of DD, Eller, Gomez and Plek with no interesting center in the pipeline. I realy doubt we can go on without trying to draft a first line center.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:15 AM
MTL-rules

I'm trying to understand the logic behind Galchenyuk being the safe Timmins pick who lost a full year of development, comes back from a serious injury and hasn't played this year and Grigorenko who's the risky pick because we don't see on the ice that he'll be a future star... really, I try to, but I just don't understand.

For me, it's simple Yakupov 1st, Grigo 2nd, no question ask... then, for the 3rd pick, there could be discussion between Forsberg and Galchenyuk, but Forsberg is stil in front.

1.Yakupov
2.Grigorenko
3.Forsberg
4.Galchenyuk
5.Trade down

If Timmins is so concerned about Grigorenko, I think it's time for some new fresh ideas... look at him drafting Gaunce with the 3rd pick...

Old
03-04-2012, 10:25 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Musil, Marincin and Klefbom certainly have top pairing potential.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I'm trying to understand the logic behind Galchenyuk being the safe Timmins pick who lost a full year of development, comes back from a serious injury and hasn't played this year and Grigorenko who's the risky pick because we don't see on the ice that he'll be a future star... really, I try to, but I just don't understand.

For me, it's simple Yakupov 1st, Grigo 2nd, no question ask... then, for the 3rd pick, there could be discussion between Forsberg and Galchenyuk, but Forsberg is stil in front.

1.Yakupov
2.Grigorenko
3.Forsberg
4.Galchenyuk
5.Trade down

If Timmins is so concerned about Grigorenko, I think it's time for some new fresh ideas... look at him drafting Gaunce with the 3rd pick...
I agree with you that Galchenyuk is not a safe pick. He has lost almost a full year of development and it's hard to say how much of his production should be attributed to playing with Yakupov.

Grigorenko scares me. Zherdeev and Filatov were every bit as talented (if not more) and they were busts in the NHL. They didn't have the "compete" question marks that Grigorenko has going into their drafts. I was at the 2009 WJC in Ottawa and saw over 20 games and there wasn't a more talented and explosive player in that tourney than Filatov. He hasn't been able to do anything in the NHL due to character deficiency. I guarantee you that the scouts who are concerned about Grigorenko's character have seen him play a lot more games than you have and they have a lot more inside information on him than you have.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:45 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I agree with you that Galchenyuk is not a safe pick. He has lost almost a full year of development and it's hard to say how much of his production should be attributed to playing with Yakupov.

Grigorenko scares me. Zherdeev and Filatov were every bit as talented (if not more) and they were busts in the NHL. They didn't have the "compete" question marks that Grigorenko has going into their drafts. I was at the 2009 WJC in Ottawa and saw over 20 games and there wasn't a more talented and explosive player in that tourney than Filatov. He hasn't been able to do anything in the NHL due to character deficiency. I guarantee you that the scouts who are concerned about Grigorenko's character have seen him play a lot more games than you have and they have a lot more inside information on him than you have.
Oh please... have you heard Patrick Roy complain about Grigorenko? I'm pretty sure the hardest critics for a player are their coaches, and Roy is certainly not scared to go publicly to motivate or shake things up for one of his player. He would've been the first to actually criticize him, don't you think? And if there's anyone that knows fully who has character or not, it's Casseau.

Let him heal, he'll be back in form in the playoffs.

Old
Protest the Hero

Quote:

1.Yakupov
2.Grigorenko
3.Forsberg
4.Galchenyuk
5.Trade down

I think it's because he's the most complete player out of those listed.

You really want to fire the best thing in this organization?

Old
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

1.Yakupov
2.Grigorenko
3.Forsberg
4.Galchenyuk
5.Trade down

IMO if we're not drafting Grigs at 2, we're either getting Forsberg, one of the D or trading down. I very much doubt we're reaching for Gaunce that far in.

Old
03-04-2012, 11:28 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Can anyone inform me of when the Draft Lottery is taking place this year, all I know is it's in April

Old
03-04-2012, 11:55 AM
bentheprop

Here's what I want to know: If Timmins drafts Forsberg or a D-man with Grigorenko and Galchenyuk still available how many posters on this board are going to have a meltdown?

Old
03-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post

Your blog is exactly what I was thinking about Galchenyuk getting picked by MTL. Like it or lump it, I see him as Timmins' choice. And if he is and MTL is picking 2nd. If it were possible to trade down to 3rd and get another pick or NHL ready dman. That would be great too.

Closed Thread