HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2012, 12:46 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
NHL is an aftertought. ...
You know you can state this a million times, and it still would not make it true

Old
03-04-2012, 01:12 AM
Northender

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
You don't know that. All you know is no one has gone public besides Don Levin. It has been reported there are 2 different groups in Seattle with interest in owning an NHL team.

So, there goes your theory of no one wanting to pony up in Seattle to buy the team.
I dunno. Its 6 months from the start of next season, and no one has declared themselves. Clock is ticking. Quebec wins.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:35 AM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
I dunno. Its 6 months from the start of next season, and no one has declared themselves. Clock is ticking. Quebec wins.
No doubt. If the Coyotes need to be moved for next season, I will be absolutely shocked if they don't end up in QC. Why? QC has been standing in the line a lot longer and is prepared to take a team on short notice. Seattle, not so much.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:52 AM
Breakaway3527

As a Canadian I prefer Seattle as the number 1 choice for the next NHL team. All these Canadians hijacking this thread that is supposed to be about Seattle are short sighted.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:22 AM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway3527 View Post
As a Canadian I prefer Seattle as the number 1 choice for the next NHL team. All these Canadians hijacking this thread that is supposed to be about Seattle are short sighted.
Last sentence =

Old
03-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
As a non-Canadian (but a Nordiques fan from back in the day), I have to say, forget short-sighted. As Don Cherry said the other night, Canadian teams currently generate 40 percent of the league's revenues. Six of the top seven teams in terms of game-day revenues are Canadian, and almost certainly seven of the top eight including Winnipeg. With Quebec it would be eight of the top nine. It makes eminent business sense to have a team in Quebec City, especially considering Canada's economy is likely to be better than that of the U.S. for at least the next few years.

I'm all for Seattle getting a team, but QC right now makes a LOT of sense economically for the league.

Old
03-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
How do you know? Not everything is done in public.

Seattle is the better market. Seattle wins.

Why don't you QC boosters head over to the QC thread? There is going to be a lot of interesting news out of Seattle over the next three weeks. Let's not waste space here talking about the NHL's back-up plan to Seattle (a.k.a. Spokane sized Quebec City).

Old
03-04-2012, 06:23 AM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznuts View Post
Judging by NBC's broadcast schedule they were unaware Atlanta even had a team.
Judging by NBC's broadcast schedule they are also unaware Winnipeg has a team.

Old
03-04-2012, 06:41 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
Seattle is the better market. Seattle wins.
Really? Right now, no U.S. market is a better market than any Canadian market except for NYC. I'm not trying to be a dick, because I would like to see Seattle get a team, but you're talking about potential vs. reality, and the reality is the Canadian teams are kicking the U.S. teams' ass right now economically.

Old
03-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
No doubt. If the Coyotes need to be moved for next season, I will be absolutely shocked if they don't end up in QC. Why? QC has been standing in the line a lot longer and is prepared to take a team on short notice. Seattle, not so much.
We're talking the NHL here. It's not who is first in line, who is richer, who is better, it's who is American and viable....

...hello Seattle!

Old
03-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Really? Right now, no U.S. market is a better market than any Canadian market except for NYC.
Seattle is by far the best open market for the NHL. NYC has three teams already and every large and moderately sized Canadian market already has the NHL.

Seattle will also serve Canadian fans. The third largest population center in Canada is within reasonable driving distance of Seattle.

Old
03-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Seattle is by far the best open market for the NHL. NYC has three teams already and every large and moderately sized Canadian market already has the NHL.
In terms of revenues, this is simply incorrect, I'm sorry. Chicago is a massive city that likes hockey. Detroit is a massive city that likes hockey. And yet they too lag behind the Canadian teams right now in terms of game-day revenues. You're saying Seattle is a better hockey market than Detroit and Chicago? Really? No one is saying the NHL shouldn't be in Seattle. But when you claim it's a better market than QC, you have to be able to back it up. And the numbers right now don't support your argument.

Old
03-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Slowe

Quote:
As a non-Canadian (but a Nordiques fan from back in the day), I have to say, forget short-sighted. As Don Cherry said the other night, Canadian teams currently generate 40 percent of the league's revenues. Six of the top seven teams in terms of game-day revenues are Canadian, and almost certainly seven of the top eight including Winnipeg. With Quebec it would be eight of the top nine. It makes eminent business sense to have a team in Quebec City, especially considering Canada's economy is likely to be better than that of the U.S. for at least the next few years.

I'm all for Seattle getting a team, but QC right now makes a LOT of sense economically for the league.
1.) While it may be true, I'd like a more concrete source other than Don Cherry.

2.) Note that it specifies game day revenues. What are the top overall revenue producing teams?

There are more factors at play here than tickets sold. Yes, they do drive a good chunk of revenue, but there is a reason why the whole league isn't in Canada.

Old
03-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Bob1321

I dont think Seattle can do this for bring a hockey team...

Old
03-04-2012, 08:45 AM
SugarKane88
Non-Registered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Judging by NBC's broadcast schedule they are also unaware Winnipeg has a team.
Judging by NBC's broadcast schedule, they're unaware that 2/3 of the cities in the NHL have teams.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1321 View Post

I dont think Seattle can do this for bring a hockey team...
Draw a large crowd (with a comically inaccurate sign)?

Old
03-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:

Seattle will also serve Canadian fans. The third largest population center in Canada is within reasonable driving distance of Seattle.
Yeah, shame Vancouver doesn't have a team...

...wait a minute...

Old
03-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post

...wait a minute...
Seattle tickets will be cheaper.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post

...wait a minute...
I know. Why would Nucks fans want to drive down to Seattle just to watch a team that isn't their own simply because tickets might be "cheaper"

Old
03-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:

Have you ever heard of the Vancouver Canucks?

Old
03-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Quote:

You are both right. Both cities getting a team very soon is whats best.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:58 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Draw a large crowd (with a comically inaccurate sign)?

Quebec Nordiques: Champions, 1976-1977.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:24 AM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznuts View Post
Where was NBC last year to argue against the Thrashers move? Judging by NBC's broadcast schedule they were unaware Atlanta even had a team.
Those deals happened almost simultaneously so the framework was in place knowing Atlanta wouldn't be there.

And NBC has a Canadian, or even 2 Canadian teams on broadcast about as often as CBC has an American or 2 American teams on ( and for the latter unless it's the playoffs it's the never).

If being a rabid fan was the only requirement Canada would have more teams and as was stated earlier ... This is a thread about Seattle getting a team. Why don't all the Canadians who seem to take it personal that the NHL would somehow relocate the Coyotes somewhere other than QC just go post in that thread. This one is about a Seattle NHL team ... And for all your foot stomping, believe it or not Seattle is a great market and if they figure out the arena they will be at the top of the list.

QC has it's own issues to work out anyway. Pick a site and figure out how to keep that arena at $400MM. No small task and not a done deal despite what many want to believe. I hope they get it done and they get a team but some of you guys need to quite taking things so personal ...

Last edited by maruk14: 03-04-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old
03-04-2012, 10:24 AM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
You know you can state this a million times, and it still would not make it true
I guarantee they have never set foot in Seattle.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:27 AM
maruk14

Quote:
Quebec isn't ready yet either! When shovel hits dirt they will be closer. If the arena goes over $400MM who is going to cover those costs? The QC mayor is so worried about it he has appointed someone to oversee costs. Another $40MM soil issue and then what?

Closed Thread