HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

** Proposal ** Florida - Edmonton

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Willis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
As an Oiler fan, I like that deal, but salary-wise, do you think that Florida would take Conklin as well if the Oilers added a 3rd?
Conks is not a problem for next year as his salary is up by then and the option is the teams. They wont take the option. But they will have to send a goalie to FLA and that will probably be Jussi.

Old
02-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
If we did decide that Luongo would make long-term financial sense (and I still have my doubts...) then I'm sure Edmonton would consider parting with Schremp or Cogliano as part of the deal. I'd do it, at least. I don't think you can enter into this kind of a deal with the attitude that your high draft picks and top prospects aren't on the table.
The thing would be to get Luongo to a 5 year contract lets say. Then you have him tied up and the back end is solid for years with Prongs there as well. Up front the team is young so we could make severl cup drives.

Old
02-02-2006, 07:58 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpearson1968
Hi all,

I think that this is my first actual proposal, although I've seen fit to comment on a few, so please, be gentle.

To Edmonton : Luongo
To Florida : Torres, Staios, Cogliano, Morrison, Edmonton 2nd rounder ( 2006 )

From an Edmonton POV, we get an absolutely legitimate, NHL-quality. top 3 in the league, goalie. Without completely decimating the team to do so.

From a Florida POV, they get the stay-at-home top 4 d-man that every team wants, the 2nd leading goal scorer on Edmonton, Edmonton's best goalie prospect, plus Cogliano and a 2nd rounder. Something for now, and a little something down the road.

I know both sides will think that they're over-paying, but as an obvious Edmonton fan, I do this trade with the thought that we have great NHL depth at D, decent hands at F, and Schremp making an apprearance next year.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
gpearson1968
As an Oiler fan, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I think Keenan's higher on Smith than Staios; if he is, I'd do that too. And if they wanted Dubnyk or Druin-Deslauriers, Florida can have that too.

Losing Torres would suck as I think he's going to be an excellent winger in this league for years to come. I think Floridians would love him, playing with Weiss or Jokinen in the middle, and Horton or Stewart on the outside. For the next five years, they could look like

Torres/Jokinen/Horton
Olesz/Weiss/Stewart

Plus Kennal McCardell and Andrew Cogliano waiting in the wings? There's your beast of the SouthEast. Plus Smith or Staios could really help mentor Bouwmeester and Metzi.

But would Florida do it? I wouldn't trade Luongo if I had any other choice in the matter. That said, it's hard to imagine getting much more value than that - a solid NHL defensman, a young sniper with high upside, and a couple top notch prospects. It would be nicer for them to have a slightly better goalie or goalie prospect going their way though. If I were Keenan, I'd also be pretty confident I could turn that 2nd rounder into a 1st and a 4th too and maybe finangle another decent prospect out of the deal.

To Edmonton : Luongo, 4th
To Florida : Torres, Smith, Cogliano, Morrison, Dubnyk, Gilbert, Edmonton 1st rounder( 2006), 5th

Old
02-02-2006, 08:05 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote
To Edmonton : Luongo, 4th
To Florida : Torres, Smith, Cogliano, Morrison, Dubnyk, Gilbert, Edmonton 1st rounder( 2006), 5th
That's getting a little too pricey I'd rather just flip Keenan the bird and hand Luongo an offer sheet. What's the max RFA compensation now? still 5 1st rounders?

Old
02-02-2006, 08:18 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
That's getting a little too pricey I'd rather just flip Keenan the bird and hand Luongo an offer sheet. What's the max RFA compensation now? still 5 1st rounders?
Yeah, but Florida would just match it and Luongo would be forced to play for them - or demand a trade and then we're in a similar boat, but we've broken the "rule" about signing RFAs.

Closed Thread