HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Playoff Scenarios

Old
03-04-2012, 01:57 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
On top of that...they also might decide wether SJ makes the playoffs or not. At least the way they are playing right now.
Flyers Rangers from 2010. Two games to end the season, and it took a shootout to decide who was moving on. I hope--for all of your hearts--that it doesn't come down to that.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:59 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Flyers Rangers from 2010. Two games to end the season, and it took a shootout to decide who was moving on. I hope--for all of your hearts--that it doesn't come down to that.
I would faint.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:41 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

We'd better hope that if the Kings do make the playoffs, they do so by two points free and clear or more. Heck, we'd better hope that ANY position they end up in, it's by at least two points.

Why?

Because the vultures are out there ready to pounce on the "controversy" of the clock stoppage goal earlier in the season, and will take any chance to say the Kings don't "deserve" their playoff spot or seeding because of the "extra point". You know it's coming...

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:37 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
As I noted in the OP, the Kings can only afford 5 or fewer regulation losses in (now) the next 17 games to make the playoffs.
Wouldn't the total number of points (no matter how earned) be more important than the number of regulation losses? If the other teams continue at their pace, the Kings would swap with Dallas if they got 93 points, no matter how they were earned. To me, that means "21 points needed" more than "no more than 5 regulation losses" -- so, for example, 10-6-1...?

Old
03-04-2012, 03:42 PM
MollerManor

Let's just kill two birds with one stone and leap frog dallas and win the division too. I am tired of looking at our same old almost 20 year old banners. Its time for change.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:19 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollerManor View Post
Let's just kill two birds with one stone and leap frog dallas and win the division too. I am tired of looking at our same old almost 20 year old banners. Its time for change.
The Kings need realistically to go 12-5 (a .705 percentage) the rest of the way (likely including taking at least two of three from the Sharks) for that to happen. Yes, three of four is a nice stretch, but I'm still not all the way convinced that they're on a sustainable run -- they need to keep it up for quite a long time, and as other posters have pointed out, the team hasn't won even three in a row in a very long time, and has only one four-game winning streak all season.

I hope they prove me overly skeptical!

Old
03-04-2012, 05:56 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Wouldn't the total number of points (no matter how earned) be more important than the number of regulation losses?
Correct. This is just another alternative given that magic numbers at this point are far too high at this point to be meaningful. 9-7-1 or 8-6-3 is the Kings most likely final record. That's good for 91 points, which as of today isn't good enough for the playoffs.

Once you decide on how many points will be needed to make the playoffs, you can figure out pretty easily the most regulation losses the team can allow before they are going to have difficulty attaining 92 points.

If they need to avoid a tiebreak situation, then they need 93 points, or 21 points out of the next 17 games.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 07:12 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
We'd better hope that if the Kings do make the playoffs, they do so by two points free and clear or more. Heck, we'd better hope that ANY position they end up in, it's by at least two points.

Why?

Because the vultures are out there ready to pounce on the "controversy" of the clock stoppage goal earlier in the season, and will take any chance to say the Kings don't "deserve" their playoff spot or seeding because of the "extra point". You know it's coming...
Meh, they still may have gotten that extra point in OT or the shootout.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:26 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Meh, they still may have gotten that extra point in OT or the shootout.
Do you really think the vultures are going to NOT jump on the situation because they "may" have gotten the other point? That runs counter to my 22 years of Internet experience, I'll just tell you now.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Do you really think the vultures are going to NOT jump on the situation because they "may" have gotten the other point? That runs counter to my 22 years of Internet experience, I'll just tell you now.
I completely agree with you, but what I find interesting is how the NHL came out guns a blazin' about how the Kings shouldn't have won immediately after the incident. There sure wasn't much of a racket from the NHL after they conducted their investigation.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

let's just go 17-0-0

K?

K

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

OK ! ... I'm game

sniff

sniff

hmmmm something smells funny in Jaygoking's room ? I know I've smelled that smell before ... but I just can't place my finger on it ... hmmmm what could it be ... kind of a smokey, yet organic smell ... kinda like ... OH wait a minute ... I know now

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
let's just go 17-0-0

K?

K
Best idea ever

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:21 PM
SLang

Knocking San Jose out of the playoffs in those last two reg season games would go a long way toward easing the pain of witnessing that blown 4-goal lead in Game 3 at Staples last year....I just wish the Kings were home in the final game, instead of being the visitor.

Side note....as teams (like San Jose) catch up in GP, the Kings have fared pretty well. Their fate is pretty much in their own hands.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:34 PM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Knocking San Jose out of the playoffs in those last two reg season games would go a long way toward easing the pain of witnessing that blown 4-goal lead in Game 3 at Staples last year....I just wish the Kings were home in the final game, instead of being the visitor.
We lost Game 6 in LA. That was the final game of the series.

Some fan you are!

Last edited by 123slam: 03-05-2012 at 05:16 PM.
123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
We lost Game 6 in LA. That was the final game of the series.

Some fan you are!
I think he's talking about the last game of the regular season this year. It's in SJ.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:36 PM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
I think he's talking about the last game of the regular season this year. It's in SJ.
Yeah you're right. My bad SLang, but I'm glad one of them is in SJ, so I can go watch us win. I hate going to school in the bay. Either way, we're gonna beat them in regulation in each of those final games.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Perro

We definately have a hard schedule ahead. However boston hasn't been playing that good as of late and are starting to get injured. San Jose is the team we wanted to beat at the start of the year and we have that chance. Detroit is beatable as their goalie got injured last night and they are starting to string together losses at home after their huge winning streak. Nashville is a hrad match up for us as their defense is unreal and our offense has been dead to rights this season, however now with Carter maybe that changes.
The fact the kings hold their fate in their hands will show the true heart of this team. I actually like our odds of making it. I think now that Carter is here Richards will feel more comfortable to pipe up in the locker room and will lead the way.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:59 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

As of this instant in time, 93 points would put the Kings into a three-way tie for 7th with Phoenix and Dallas (which they would likely lose to slip back to 9th place).

94 points would tie the Sharks for the Pacific.

So, 94 points to make the playoffs -- a record of 11-6. 95 points to win the Pacific, a record of 11-5-1.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:13 AM
MxK1NGS

Carter and Richards clinched a playoff spot in their last game with Philly. I think the same may happen here with us. Hope they can lead the Kings back into the playoffs because Kopitar and a few others do not seem to be able to do it. GO KINGS!

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:56 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

oh my god, if we clinch 8th... we verse the canucks.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:58 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

i know it will be hard, but i want another series with canucks. I want blood

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

It's definitely up to them, we play 10 more games against teams in the West ahead of us. Thats a good amount of ground if we could win a bunch of those.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:22 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
oh my god, if we clinch 8th... we verse the canucks.
Would LOVE for the Kings to have another shot at the Canucks. They always play well against the Canucks. Plus, we need to hear more "LUUUUUUUUOOOOOONGOOO" chants in the playoffs.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:27 AM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Would LOVE for the Kings to have another shot at the Canucks. They always play well against the Canucks. Plus, we need to hear more "LUUUUUUUUOOOOOONGOOO" chants in the playoffs.
You mean "LUUUUUUUUUUUSEEEEER" chants.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote