HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Frattin - Ranked 4th. for TSN RW's

Old
03-04-2012, 02:42 PM
thewave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Players don't have to be great at handling the puck to be considered top 6 players, see Burrows for example. Frattin throws his body around with reckless abandon, has what appears to be a above average to elite shot, goes to the dirty areas, and plays with tons of heart. Ryan Callahan, Alex Burrows type future IMO. Also, he absolutely gift wrapped Grabovski's goal last night, and also gift wrapped Colborne's 1st NHL goal too.... I think his total offensive abilities are currently underrated, and we'll see more of what he can really do as he gains more confidence.
He has finishing issues. I'd say he could become a solid 50pt performer with a little time and guidance.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:43 PM
BertCorbeau

Quote:
Players don't have to be great at handling the puck to be considered top 6 players, see Burrows for example. Frattin throws his body around with reckless abandon, has what appears to be a above average to elite shot, goes to the dirty areas, and plays with tons of heart. Ryan Callahan, Alex Burrows type future IMO. Also, he absolutely gift wrapped Grabovski's goal last night, and also gift wrapped Colborne's 1st NHL goal too.... I think his total offensive abilities are currently underrated, and we'll see more of what he can really do as he gains more confidence.
I agree with this. Frattin also has a sweet shot, goals like last night will start building his confidence with it.

BertCorbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:43 PM
meng666

Frattin was amazing last night, his best game of the season and hopefully he keeps it up.
It was the only time imo that Frattin matched the level of Kadri upon Kadri's first couple games after return from the AHL. Both guys have now shown examples this season of briefly looking every bit as good as the best players on the team.

meng666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
He has finishing issues. I'd say he could become a solid 50pt performer with a little time and guidance.
It's his very 1st NHL season, he clearly hasn't had finishing issues in any other league, ex Marlies, or in College, I think it's silly to think he'll suddenly have them in the NHL.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
That is true. Although I am not sold on his offensive instincts quite yet. Ofcourse, he has tons of time to prove me wrong... he has only played half a year.

I think if he reaches his potential, he will be a Ryan Callahan clone. They are similar sized and have very similar skill set.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
How many prospects that Ron Wilson developed would you like for me to list?
You can list at least 20. And you can start from since he came to the leafs. As the leafs head coach I don't feel he was that successful with prospects. Look at good old schenn and kadri. His failure with our prospects has been a product of the system we are playing. Schenn will blossom under carlyle and kadri will get his chance. Frattin is looking good so far. Maybe franson and gunnarson will start improving.

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Pi

I really like the way Carlyle is handling this.

I think what Ron tried to do was just get Kulemin and Connolly going but they're so bad offensively this year that it just wasn't working.

Carlyle put Connolly and Kulemin on a checking line from which they can be promoted if they score. He saw a spark in Frattin and ran with it and played him for nearly 18 minutes.

I think Connolly and Kulemin play a checking role all year now and get the chance next year to move up. They're not cutting it offensively.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
You can list at least 20. And you can start from since he came to the leafs
You can't be serious.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:50 PM
deleteme
Leafs for cup

You can't compare Frattin to Kadri. Fratting actually likes working out in a gym to put on muscle, something Kadri doesn't seem to comprehend.

deleteme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Frattin is a solid prospect and yesterday he was all over the ice on every shift he was on for. The guy has nearly everything u want in a player aside from high-end skill level. The guy has a big body, deadly ****, grit, size, skating, defensive awareness, power forward style of game and plays with ton of heart and character.

I think he has all the tools in him to be a T.J Oshie type of player if he can put it together.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:59 PM
bobbyflex

Frattin made a great first impression with Carlyle. I think he'll really like his play and get plenty of minutes

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:00 PM
SteveV*

I love how people keep using "finally" to describe a rookie.

Kid's a keeper, and he has the skill to play top 6.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:01 PM
meng666

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecrow View Post
You can't compare Frattin to Kadri. Fratting actually likes working out in a gym to put on muscle, something Kadri doesn't seem to comprehend.
You can compare them simply on how much impact they made on the game.
Trying to decide who is better at this point and who is going to be better is pretty pointless.
For young guys they both have had amazing games, hopefully Frattin can sustain his run longer then Kadri did while playing on the third line. Playing with Grabovski and MacArthur ought to keep Frattin producing.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:06 PM
KlattNazty

Frattin has twice the real life experience, and a significant amount more time in the gym than Kadri.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:13 PM
meng666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamshot View Post
Frattin has twice the real life experience, and a significant amount more time in the gym than Kadri.
Who cares?
As long as Frattin keeps playing like he did last night then nobody should worry about him being in the lineup. He got a free ride for most of the season and now it looks like it could have finally paid off. Can't wait to see if he can breakthrough against Boston.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:15 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
He got a free ride for most of the season and now it looks like it could have finally paid off.
That's funny. Seriously.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:18 PM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

Matt Frattin reminds me of Dustin Brown.

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafan519 View Post
I said in a thread yesterday I think Frattin will become one of Carlyles golden boys and really win him over with that all out work ethic and his physical style of game.
I agree, he brings the same energy and effort every single night, he just hasn't consistently been getting results so far. Hard for a coach not to like a player like Frattin.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

the guy uses a pretty small stick like Wellwood did.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:27 PM
meng666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
That's funny. Seriously.
Yeah sure..
He pretty much sucked for most of the season. Seriously. But alot of people overlooked that cuz they saw some potential, he was a hobey baker finalist with big expectations, and some players bounced off him and caused Frattin marks to **** all over the place. He had very little impact for most of the season and looked dumb pointing at people all the time while he played defense. He no longer points at people and he looks dangerous and very aggressive so for now he's awesome. What's so wrong with that? You thought he was great all season long? hahaha. no.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:30 PM
meng666

I did think it sucked when he was sent down the second time though cuz it looked like he was prime to break out.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:31 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Frattin has always looked like NHL potential.

He plays more like a man than a boy out there.

Easy to see his game depth.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
Yeah sure..
He pretty much sucked for most of the season. Seriously. But alot of people overlooked that cuz they saw some potential, he was a hobey baker finalist with big expectations, and some players bounced off him and caused Frattin marks to **** all over the place. He had very little impact for most of the season and looked dumb pointing at people all the time while he played defense. He no longer points at people and he looks dangerous and very aggressive so for now he's awesome. What's so wrong with that? You thought he was great all season long? hahaha. no.
Kadri sucked more outside of like 3 games he was literally useless, yet people were crying to get him in the lineup.

Frattin played fine he wasnt getting a free ride for half the season, he's a rookie. He only had 10 points his first stint but you could see the way he played the game he was going to get better.

Nobody else on this team drives wide and across the net, let alone with the speed an does it consistently. Back when people cried and moaned about how he shot it wide or into the goalie, most of those were created off chances no other leaf player could create. People around here acted like every shot had to go in. Like he had to score like Kessel or else he was useless and needed to be off the team for the great Kadri.

Frattin has had a decent rookie year on a team that lacks direction. He has been fine. He obviously not an all star but he has the tools and the effort to be a 2nd/3rd liner who can score 20 and create problems for the other team.

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:39 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
Kadri sucked more outside of like 3 games he was literally useless, yet people were crying to get him in the lineup.

Frattin played fine he wasnt getting a free ride for half the season, he's a rookie. He only had 10 points his first stint but you could see the way he played the game he was going to get better.

Nobody else on this team drives wide and across the net, let alone with the speed an does it consistently. Back when people cried and moaned about how he shot it wide or into the goalie, most of those were created off chances no other leaf player could create. People around here acted like every shot had to go in. Like he had to score like Kessel or else he was useless and needed to be off the team for the great Kadri.

Frattin has had a decent rookie year on a team that lacks direction. He has been fine. He obviously not an all star but he has the tools and the effort to be a 2nd/3rd liner who can score 20 and create problems for the other team.
Good perspective and Frattin is 24 so it he physically more mature then other rookies.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:53 PM
SteveV*

Is there anything more laughable than a dude criticizing a player for redirecting his teammates to cover the man? I've heard it all now.