HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

So, what can the Rangers do to spark some life back into their game?

Old
03-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
So, what can the Rangers do to spark some life back into their game?

I remember thinking early in the season that the style of game we play (extremely fast paced, very physical, blocking tons of shots, etc.) could really end up biting us in the ass come playoff time. Unfortunately, hockey players are not robots or zombies and simply do not have unlimited endurance.

It seems like we have hit the proverbial wall where the style of game we play is really going to start wearing on our guys. I think Callahan getting hurt might have been the best thing to happen to him since he will finally get to rest for a bit. We are seeing d-men like McDonagh and Girardi starting to wear down due to all the playing time they get. It's painfully obvious that this team is not the same team that was winning so often earlier in the year.

Yet this team STILL does win and still plays close games. That shows you how much talent and drive this team has, so we can't blame this slowdown on lack of talent or lack of heart. This team is pretty damn talented and has heart and grit for days.

So, what can the team do? Unfortuantely, there are not a lot of options. The team won't start sitting guys until we lock in at the top of the playoffs (and even then, I don't think Torts will want to start sitting guys).

1. Sit guys. Let them rest. Hold back Callahan and Feds from coming back so they can come back as fresh as can be. Bring up guys from Hartford like Erixon who can help spell some of the d-men. Torts obviously has little-to-no confidence in guys like Woywitka and Eminger, so why not waive one of them and bring up someone who can help a bit? Erixon is better than both of those guys at this point.

2. Go EASY in practice. I think Torts is known for having a very intense practice and it shows in the drive and heart of these guys. But let's start resting them more. Practice them at a less intense pace and give some extra days off here and there. This team already buys into the system and won't all of a sudden stop playing if they get some rest now and then.

3. Play the 4th line more. This option everyone will ****ing hate. Everyone hates when the unskilled guys are getting time but this is the time of year that they need to play. Our top guys need to start resting more when they can and the 4th line can spell them. You won't want to do this against the TOP teams, but anyone at the bottom? Do it.

4. Start trapping. The intense dump and chase game we play is incredibly taxing. The last four years I played hockey I played in a similar style. And even in a low level like that it is just so taxing on a body. I wouldn't mind seeing us go more into a 1-2-2 with a light forecheck for a while. Save the bodies and the insane forechecking for the playoffs when we will HAVE to play that style anyway.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the big four I've been able to think of over the last few days. This team has a real potential of doing some major damage in the playoffs. It'd be a shame to waste that with a tired team that simply cannot play the style of play that has gotten them this far.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:31 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

call up some guys

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

I really think that signing Kreider may be the best thing for this team. If he can come in and slot in the top 6? He could really, really help out. Provide more speed, more jump, etc. Having him in the line-up would be fantastic.

Old
03-04-2012, 01:41 PM
OverTheCap

Avery the sparkplug needs to be called up.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:45 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Rangers really don't have a lot of practice time left with the way their schedule is the next few weeks.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:03 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Acquire a reliable veteran defenseman at the deadline to allow Girardi and McDonagh to play a little bit less down the stretch.

Oh wait...

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Acquire a reliable veteran defenseman at the deadline to allow Girardi and McDonagh to play a little bit less down the stretch.

Oh wait...
I don't see the need since we have Erixon in the minors. He really needs to be brought up.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:33 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I know any team can win on any given night, but upcoming games against teams like Colorado and Minnesota we need to play Bickel/Scott/Eminger/Stralman much more as well as our 4th line. That's why I liked the John Scott acquisition. He can play on the 4th line or on defense, and he'll give the defensemen a little rest.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:34 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Also Staal is getting better at the right time. We need him to start logging huge minutes.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:40 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't see the need since we have Erixon in the minors. He really needs to be brought up.
No, he doesn't. Not this year.

He has no experience, and doesn't bring other things to the table, like Bickel.

Erixon is a pretty soft player, at this stage of his career. He looked out of place earlier in the season.The playoffs are no place for him to give it another shot. We have more capable people with the club, now.

Wait until next year.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:40 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
do a better job of rotating both Eminger/Bickel/Woywitka into the line up so that the other guys get a rest.

Same goes for the forwards. Rotate Bickel/Scott into the line up to give those forwards that need it, get a rest.

The guys that need it more than others are the Defence and the pluggers. Those are the guys with the bumps and bruises.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I really think that signing Kreider may be the best thing for this team. If he can come in and slot in the top 6? He could really, really help out. Provide more speed, more jump, etc. Having him in the line-up would be fantastic.
Kreider won't change ****. He is really overrated and really inconsistent.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Vitto79

Ummmm they keep winning

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:54 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
See how he said "could help"? Take it down a notch fella. Take what this guy said about kreider and apply it to our "rough patch" what are we 7-2-1? Our rough patch is overrated imo

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:56 PM
frankthefrowner

The spark will be there game 1 of the quarterfinals...this team is 12 points in first place. We are facing teams that are absurdly more desperate than us. I know we aren't use to this but we need to relax. Even playing at what seems half speed we win and get points that to me is a damn good sign..

There should be 2 objectives going on from here to the playoffs.

1 stay healthy

2 limit mcd and giradis minutes.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
Jesus Christ. Did you even read anything I wrote? Calm the hell down.

Old
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

I would fully support signing Chris and bringing him in.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Calad
Section 422

Win like they just did

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Ummmm they keep winning
That's my point. But we aren't winning anywhere near as easy as we used to and it's painfully obvious that the team is tired. Anyone who watches should be able to see that. Not the same spring in their steps that they had early on.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
Win like they just did
Oh, yeah. Because it's so easy to win in the playoffs by getting outshot nearly double.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Just keep going. The teams that rest are the teams that get bounced early. You gotta stay frosty. I'll take tired over rusty.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:04 PM
mahonistan*

The Rangers are like the Giants were at the end of the year. They find ways to win games. It isn't pretty, but it's a win. They aren't flashy, but they win. They don't need a spark if they keep winning.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:09 PM
MDL8981

Agreed that the team is tired. I've felt this way for about two weeks now. Its hard to play the style we play for 82 games, plus a deep playoff run at 100% intensity at all times. We've definetly hit a wall.

Just gotta fight through it and hope we find our second wind in the playoffs.

I do think it might be smart to cut some minutes off of Girardi and McD's workload. Perhaps give the occassional game off to them at times....some of our forwards too. We can afford to do this with a 10 pt cushion on the Pens.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

get callahan back

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Leetch66

We definitely have to play the forwards out further so that the opposing blueliners do not get so many chances to bomb away . The collapsing is going to be our downfall . We will be black and blue and broken by playoff time . Something has to change just a bit in that department .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote