HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

So, what can the Rangers do to spark some life back into their game?

Old
03-04-2012, 03:17 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
PLAY DEFENSE.

So many deflating momentum shifts because our defense has been steadily declining. We need to go back to how we were before the all-star break.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
PLAY DEFENSE.

So many deflating momentum shifts because our defense has been steadily declining. We need to go back to how we were before the all-star break.
Except our defense has "been steadily declining" because they are tired. The level of play is taking its toll on our players.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:22 PM
egelband

a sauer return and kreider addition would be nice. both would be pretty well-rested, in theory.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:23 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Except our defense has "been steadily declining" because they are tired. The level of play is taking its toll on our players.
Well yeah, no reason to sarcastically quote been steadily declining because they HAVE been, due to exhaustion. All of them, not just Girardi and McD but MDZ too, and i'm his biggest fan.

If we can get them playing like they were pre-ASG for the playoffs I don't see how anyone can beat us in less than 7 games with Hank playing like he does and Gabby doing what he does. But if they play like this, we're a lot worse off.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Well yeah, no reason to sarcastically quote been steadily declining because they HAVE been, due to exhaustion. All of them, not just Girardi and McD but MDZ too, and i'm his biggest fan.

If we can get them playing like they were pre-ASG for the playoffs I don't see how anyone can beat us in less than 7 games with Hank playing like he does and Gabby doing what he does. But if they play like this, we're a lot worse off.
I didn't sarcastically quote anything. I merely quoted you.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:28 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
I didn't sarcastically quote anything. I merely quoted you.
Well then my apologies.

Sarcastic ass.

But yeah, something's gotta give with the D.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
But yeah, something's gotta give with the D.
Just need to start resting the top guys more. I really think we should bring up Erixon for the final few weeks and get him in some games. Give him the McDonagh treatment (albeit a bit later than McDonagh got the McDonagh treatment).

Old
03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Just need to start resting the top guys more. I really think we should bring up Erixon for the final few weeks and get him in some games. Give him the McDonagh treatment (albeit a bit later than McDonagh got the McDonagh treatment).
Totally agree with this, we should call up Vtank as well. I wouldn't mind bring up Deveaux either.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

That's a possibility but I don't know, I don't want to ice a subpar lineup and lose games because of it.

I forget who did it, but the President's Trophy SHOULD be the goal for this club. If we make it to the Finals, to have home ice would be fantastic for us when you see the home/away splits for the western powerhouses.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Totally agree with this, we should call up Vtank as well. I wouldn't mind bring up Deveaux either.
I never want to see VTank on the backline if he keeps tripping over the blueline. He is not in the Rangers plans at this point.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
That's a possibility but I don't know, I don't want to ice a subpar lineup and lose games because of it.

I forget who did it, but the President's Trophy SHOULD be the goal for this club. If we make it to the Finals, to have home ice would be fantastic for us when you see the home/away splits for the western powerhouses.
If you bring up Erixon to have him replace Woywitka/Eminger/Bickel, you wouldn't really be icing a subpar line-up. In fact, you could give him 18 minutes or so and spell Girardi or McD a bit. I would, ideally, like to see Girardi and McD play about 2-3 minutes less per game.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
If you bring up Erixon to have him replace Woywitka/Eminger/Bickel, you wouldn't really be icing a subpar line-up. In fact, you could give him 18 minutes or so and spell Girardi or McD a bit. I would, ideally, like to see Girardi and McD play about 2-3 minutes less per game.
I'd like to see Erixon up eventually, but then what do you do for the playoffs, play him, even though he'd have such a lack of experience? Send him back down?

I was talking more about the V-Tanks and Deveaux's, though, and the giving Johnny Malkin more ice time type of ideas. We should be going for the PT.

Old
03-04-2012, 04:03 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
I'd like to see Erixon up eventually, but then what do you do for the playoffs, play him, even though he'd have such a lack of experience? Send him back down?

I was talking more about the V-Tanks and Deveaux's, though, and the giving Johnny Malkin more ice time type of ideas. We should be going for the PT.
Woywitka, Eminger, Bickel and Stralman aren't exactly guys with extensive playoff resumes either. If the Rangers do bring up Erixon, just play whoever is deserving come April.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:05 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Woywitka, Eminger, Bickel and Stralman aren't exactly guys with extensive playoff resumes either. If the Rangers do bring up Erixon, just play whoever is deserving come April.
Well I just mean in the NHL as a whole. I thought Erixon was just as good as our glut of fill-in guys when he played, but after not playing so long would he be good to go by the playoffs?

I'd probably try it (and I bet Torts wouldn't mind either, since Stralman seems to be pissing him off recently) but i'm not certain.

Old
03-04-2012, 04:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I really think that signing Kreider may be the best thing for this team. If he can come in and slot in the top 6? He could really, really help out. Provide more speed, more jump, etc. Having him in the line-up would be fantastic.
I agree, and you will probably get your wish.

I just wish it would be sooner than it will be.

Its too bad, from a Rangers fan's selfish point of view, that BC is qualified for the NCAA tournament, regardless if they don't win Hockey East.

No offense to BC and their fans, but I hope they're ousted in the regionals. This way Kreider can sign with seven (7) regular season games remaining on the Rangers schedule. Seven games for him to get into the practices, systems, and start working his way up the lineup.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

The biggest chance to do anything came and went with the trade deadline. And no, Im not talking about Rick Nash - Im talking about a depth forward and depth defensemen that could've limited minutes up and down the lineup in key spots. In any event, it seemed like the market just wasnt there for it.

Im not at all enthralled with the idea of resting guys (except Lundqvist) and pulling back the throttles down the stretch. Professional sports is littered with very successful teams that pulled up at the 3-quarter pole and coasted to the playoffs, with the notion that they'd be well-rested for their run. Problem is, intensity isn't a switch that turns on and off very easily in this profession.

I think the grinding and sacrificial style is more of a mindset than a strategy with this team, and I dont think its something they can dial down a notch. And that makes me extremely proud to be a Ranger fan for the first time in a very long time.

I hope they dont change a damn thing from now until whenever the season ends.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 06:44 PM
NYR Viper

They need to be able to rest their players, just like everyone has said. McDonagh and Girardi deserve a few days off. Hopefully Staal can start to take some more ice time and Torts gives them a day off here and there.

Also, I know this is far ahead, but a first round 4 or 5 game series would help a lot too.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Legend23

How about get just a touch of speed on the third and 4th lines. Rupp, Scott, Boyle, Prust et al have not been getting to open pucks or winning battles on the boards where earlier in the year they were much better. I am not saying they are not trying but physically they are struggling right now....and im not talking about fighting.

Legend23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The biggest chance to do anything came and went with the trade deadline. And no, Im not talking about Rick Nash - Im talking about a depth forward and depth defensemen that could've limited minutes up and down the lineup in key spots. In any event, it seemed like the market just wasnt there for it.

Im not at all enthralled with the idea of resting guys (except Lundqvist) and pulling back the throttles down the stretch. Professional sports is littered with very successful teams that pulled up at the 3-quarter pole and coasted to the playoffs, with the notion that they'd be well-rested for their run. Problem is, intensity isn't a switch that turns on and off very easily in this profession.

I think the grinding and sacrificial style is more of a mindset than a strategy with this team, and I dont think its something they can dial down a notch. And that makes me extremely proud to be a Ranger fan for the first time in a very long time.

Edit: In fact, I think John Scott was brought in specifically for this purpose.

I hope they dont change a damn thing from now until whenever the season ends.
Agree with this in terms of strategy.

However, I don't think it will hurt the team to rest a guy here and there down the stretch. Sorta like how we're 2-0-1 without Callahan. That's three in a row for him... but if we pull out Girardi for 3 random and separate games down the stretch and McDonagh for 3 different random and separate games down the stretch, I think we'll be fine. That sort of thing.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:37 PM
bmw2004

Hire some good power play coach.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:54 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

if you ask Slats, he thinks Kreider is on his way.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:14 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
See how he said "could help"? Take it down a notch fella. Take what this guy said about kreider and apply it to our "rough patch" what are we 7-2-1? Our rough patch is overrated imo
i don't think we are in a rough patch. An inconsistent college player usually doesn't help an NHL team right away. Kreider is still a couple years away from being an impact player if he ever becomes that.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:14 AM
Fanned On It

Guys, we're doing fine. I think resting our guys might actually be bad for us. Our players are in a groove, so why screw with that? We're not really playing that bad right now (besides a couple of players who aren't producing like they should, but even then...) so why change things up and risk losing our winning mindset? And really, how much rest does a pro-level athlete need in between games to get back to 100% endurance? I would say after a full day-off, maybe two, they probably have most of their endurance back, no? Especially since these guys are trained like crazy and probably follow pretty strict meal plans that resupply their bodies with the essentials.

The thing I'm concerned about is injuries. I think we skated by with Del Zotto's hip and got lucky with Callahan (hopefully). We really just have to worry about staying healthy and hope that no one gets severely injured in the coming weeks.

Physically and endurance wise, I don't think these guys need as much rest as some of you may think. And mentally, I think about it like this, they all WANT to play. They LOVE the game of hockey and are all striving for more minutes every game, so I don't see there being any problem with them getting mentally tired.

Just my view on things. I'd rather keep things the way they are and only rest a player if they're injured (like they're doing with The Captain).

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:18 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Play the 4th line more? The Boyle line already plays 16 minutes a game. They need more ice time?

And Scott is just terrible. I cringe when he's on the ice. No hockey sense at all, slow as a turtle. And nobody even wants to fight him.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:04 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
Play the 4th line more? The Boyle line already plays 16 minutes a game. They need more ice time?

And Scott is just terrible. I cringe when he's on the ice. No hockey sense at all, slow as a turtle. And nobody even wants to fight him.
this. they should carry the puck into the zone every once and a while and give the dump and chase a rest

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote