HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you take care of your hockey sticks?

Old
03-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Squidriss

vCash: 500
How do you take care of your hockey sticks?

So i was looking it up and i couldnt really find anything on google or here so i thought you guys might have some ideas.

Personally whenever i see a chip on the shaft or blade i apply some shoe goo epoxy to seal em up. I also never let the stick rest on its blade, i know some sticks weigh almost nothing but still the blade is the most sensitive part of the stick i find.

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidriss View Post
So i was looking it up and i couldnt really find anything on google or here so i thought you guys might have some ideas.

Personally whenever i see a chip on the shaft or blade i apply some shoe goo epoxy to seal em up. I also never let the stick rest on its blade, i know some sticks weigh almost nothing but still the blade is the most sensitive part of the stick i find.
I sleep with it at night. The girlfriend gets the couch.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:03 PM
AIREAYE

haha, I occasionally use a stick bag. Retape them heel to toe every few games or so and run a strip of electrical along the bottom and toe.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Frankie Spankie

There's something about buying $40 composite sticks on Hockey Monkey that really discourages me from taking care of my sticks.

I don't even retape them that often, probably once a month skating twice a week.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Kulluminati

Nothing special, I don't have stick bags or anything. I just retape every 2 games heel to toe, usually the toe of the stick starts to chip away piece by piece first in my experiences.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Evil Ted

I just retape them every so often when it gets worn but really composite sticks dont really require much imo, just when the tape gets worn or theblade gets stepped on. I like to wrap the toe I think it helps prevent chips and splits.

Last edited by Evil Ted: 03-03-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:24 AM
MikeModano9

I use " sex wax" found at my local source for sports. On the blade tape too, find it makes the tape last longer and a better feel for the puck.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:19 PM
hyster110

stick bag when i travel but other than that they sit in my room and i carry them to hockey, what to take care of, hockey is a physical sport with stickwork

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:20 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidriss View Post

you can rest a stick on the blade and it wont damage it, look at any level of hockey

Old
03-04-2012, 04:28 PM
FANonymous

Quick question for you guys taping heel to toe. Is there a specific reason why you guys tape that way? I always tape the opposite direction reasoning that the puck won't hit any of the edges of the tape as the puck travels across it. I figured that would make for a smoother shot and less overall tape wear. Never really tried it the other way.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:31 PM
kurt83
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Quick question for you guys taping heel to toe. Is there a specific reason why you guys tape that way? I always tape the opposite direction reasoning that the puck won't hit any of the edges of the tape as the puck travels across it. I figured that would make for a smoother shot and less overall tape wear. Never really tried it the other way.
Taping heel-to-toe is for exactly that reason. The edges of the tape grip the puck on shots and saucers and help create more spin. Also if you tape it heel-to-toe you will notice that, on the bottom of the blade, the edges are towards the heel and your stick won't collect near as much snow/water.

kurt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Doland
The King is Alive

Tape.

Other than that, there's no point really.

Doland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 05:17 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt83 View Post
Taping heel-to-toe is for exactly that reason. The edges of the tape grip the puck on shots and saucers and help create more spin. Also if you tape it heel-to-toe you will notice that, on the bottom of the blade, the edges are towards the heel and your stick won't collect near as much snow/water.
plus the spin on the puck helps stabilize shots and saucers, this making them more accurate

Old
03-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Shoe goo, huh? I need to repair a chip on the heel of my stick. I might try that.

I don't do a thing. I lean them against the wall when I'm not playing. They're hockey sticks. Resting on the toe of the blade won't make a difference.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:29 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Stick bag, I drive a Mini so it's my arm rest when I drive to games. Replace the tape when it gets frayed or there are imperfections in the tape from slashes or hacks. I spray my tape with Scotch Guard (it was sitting in a cupboard for a jacket I had so I tried it and it seems to make the tape job last longer) and then I apply Blade Butter wax. Does it help? Who knows, we're hockey players, we do weird stuff. I also will clean my sticks with WD-40 to remove stick and puck marks so they look new.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Devil Dancer

I re-tape regularly. Other than that, I don't do anything.

One tip though: When you're banging your stick on the boards to celebrate a goal or a save, don't use the toe of your stick. Use the butt end instead, and save your blade some serious wear.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Stick bag, I drive a Mini so it's my arm rest when I drive to games. Replace the tape when it gets frayed or there are imperfections in the tape from slashes or hacks. I spray my tape with Scotch Guard (it was sitting in a cupboard for a jacket I had so I tried it and it seems to make the tape job last longer) and then I apply Blade Butter wax. Does it help? Who knows, we're hockey players, we do weird stuff. I also will clean my sticks with WD-40 to remove stick and puck marks so they look new.
wow...

i just tape mine, not to protect the stick though lol

a stick's a stick, just be careful not to close a door on it (car, rink, etc..)

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote