HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

is this the year that the islanders finally...

Old
03-03-2012, 11:28 PM
RichOnTheLI

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Parise has made a few interesting comments this season.

He's said that he wants to win and he questioned whether the Devils,with their financial trouble,would be forced to spend closer to the cap floor.He pointed out the advantage teams spending near the cap ceiling have.

I'd love to be wrong ,,have to eat crow over my doubts.
I just don't see Parise coming to the bottom feeding Isles ,no matter how big a selling job his buddy Okposo pulls.

I am hopeful that Cappy is replaced.I think he's done a lousy job developing too many of the young players.
I actually don't follow the Devils beyond what they do on the ice, so I'm not aware of any comments.

The Isles have a lot of things going in the right direction, except for one thing - the coaching staff.

Remember when we hired Ted Nolan, a bunch of free agents wanted to to play for HIM, they did not care about the building.

I know that Witt, Simon, Sillinger, Poti and Kozlov did not help much, but it proved that with the right coaches, players will come.

No more AHL coaches for the Isles, we need an established NHL head coach with experience who can take our core of young players to the next level.

I do think that Wang will open his wallet this season, but unless we have some stability, they'll decline any offers like Martin, Hamuis and even Hannan did.

RichOnTheLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:32 PM
RichOnTheLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Its not gonna happen. Nobody wants to go there for MULTIPLE reasons. Besides tavares and nabakov who do you have that could be considered elite talent? Not saying in anyway nabakov is elite but he's elite for the islanders. Im not trolling here or trying to be rude but the islanders are the laughing stock of the NHL.
Any wrestling fans? I'll quote The Miz - Really? Laughing stock? Really? Really?

Have you checked out that team in Columbus and what their fan base has to deal with?

RichOnTheLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichFromLongIsland View Post
I actually don't follow the Devils beyond what they do on the ice, so I'm not aware of any comments.

The Isles have a lot of things going in the right direction, except for one thing - the coaching staff.

Remember when we hired Ted Nolan, a bunch of free agents wanted to to play for HIM, they did not care about the building.

I know that Witt, Simon, Sillinger, Poti and Kozlov did not help much, but it proved that with the right coaches, players will come.

No more AHL coaches for the Isles, we need an established NHL head coach with experience who can take our core of young players to the next level.

I do think that Wang will open his wallet this season, but unless we have some stability, they'll decline any offers like Martin, Hamuis and even Hannan did.
It's not only the coach imo, it's the ownership. The instability in relation to where the islanders will be when there lease is up, along with the coaching staff and horrid contracts just proves to outsiders that so many issues need to be fixed before the ship is righted.

And for the record, I feel like the FA you mentioned, such as Kozlov, Witt, etc aren't exactly premier guys. I certainly can't see Parise considering the Islanders and highly doubt Suter would either.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:48 AM
KH1

It's really a waste of time to cross your fingers waiting for a max offer to Suter, Parise, or someone of that caliber. I don't know how much clearer Wang can make it that he's not interested in spending to the cap floor, much less above it.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:07 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichFromLongIsland View Post

I liked Gordon as a head coach.I thought he was a little thin skinned,but a good coach for youngsters.

I'd like to see Cappy replaced.I'm not happy with the stalled development of several youngsters.
Unfortunately,I think we have a better chance of seeing the Bridgeport head coach, hired as the next isles head coach. Or team exec. Doug Weight named as head coach.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I liked Gordon as a head coach.I thought he was a little thin skinned,but a good coach for youngsters.

I'd like to see Cappy replaced.I'm not happy with the stalled development of several youngsters.
Unfortunately,I think we have a better chance of seeing the Bridgeport head coach, hired as the next isles head coach. Or team exec. Doug Weight named as head coach.
I think the Isles need to hire a coach and commit to that coach for an extended period of time and let him build a system and work with the GM to get players who can play it. Five coaches since start of the 03-04 season doesn't make for continuity.

03-04-2012, 11:46 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:

Unfortunately for your unfortunately, Thompson would be a great coach for this Islanders team. He's been doing a great job in Bridgeport because he's doing so much with so little.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:02 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Unfortunately for your unfortunately, Thompson would be a great coach for this Islanders team. He's been doing a great job in Bridgeport because he's doing so much with so little.
Our recent History suggests that this will happen...Just as long as Snow didnt "promise" Cappy he could coach in the NHL...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:11 PM
ZetterBurger

Wouldn't it be smarter for the Isles to let their homegrown talent keep growing and take over the team, while adding in the spare parts to find good role players? They don't have bad top end players, they need to find some glue guys though. A good defenseman would be great, but you could get two or three players that will help tremendously for the price of one.

I think the Isles need to spend their money carefully.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:36 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think the Isles need to hire a coach and commit to that coach for an extended period of time and let him build a system and work with the GM to get players who can play it. Five coaches since start of the 03-04 season doesn't make for continuity.
Ness made his rookie debut in early Feb. And looked pretty good.Better then most fans expected after his struggles in college.I think he made a comment about how Bridgeport and the isles play the same system.

And if my team in a youth movement,has a coach who's not getting the best out of several top youngsters,then I want him replaced.One of the most important keys should be developing those youngsters.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:40 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Yeah,I've read some nice compliments about the Bridgeport head coach.

Still,I can't help wonder if an experienced nhl coach, would not be the best way to go.Instead of another guy learning on the job:Sterling,Gordon,Cappy.
Weight and Thompson in the wings.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:45 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Yeah,I've read some nice compliments about the Bridgeport head coach.

Still,I can't help wonder if an experienced nhl coach, would not be the best way to go.Instead of another guy learning on the job:Sterling,Gordon,Cappy.
Weight and Thompson in the wings.
Well that would definitely be the ideal situation. But based on past experience we know it will either be Weight or Thompson, hopefully Thompson.

Old
03-04-2012, 01:02 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Wouldn't it be smarter for the Isles to let their homegrown talent keep growing and take over the team, while adding in the spare parts to find good role players? They don't have bad top end players, they need to find some glue guys though. A good defenseman would be great, but you could get two or three players that will help tremendously for the price of one.

I think the Isles need to spend their money carefully.
We have 3 top six players. Tavares, Moulson, and Parenteau. Arguably only Tavares is a first line player. If Parenteau leaves then things are even worse. Parise would be a desperately needed top 6 player.

That said it probably isn't happening.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Riddick

We have a top 3 and a bottom 9. They need a second line scoring and desperately need a top pairing dman.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Brooklanders*

Isles are headed in the right direction. So much it has to be a huge erection of new talent I also believe they need a new home so they wont be alone If you build it they will come the future can be as bright as the stars or as dark as the night.
I highly doubt the isles will back down from a fight.
The fans the friends the feelings the fire the desire the healing winning is fun losing not so much but always remember root root for the home team and of course buy tickets
And if the ticket is one way then make it Brooklyn cuz ny is better than Oklahoma city

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:58 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
We have 3 top six players. Tavares, Moulson, and Parenteau. Arguably only Tavares is a first line player. If Parenteau leaves then things are even worse. Parise would be a desperately needed top 6 player.

That said it probably isn't happening.
How much do Moulson and P.A. need to do before NHL fans even Isles fans before they just accept that Garth Snow unearthed a few gems?

Isles wont make a major UFA play until arena issue is settled.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:28 PM
number72

The Islanders need to "win" and get to the playoffs. The kind of players that sign for the highest $ and join a losing franchise are not the kind of players you want to build a franchise around.

What the Islanders need to do is trade for talent (some overpriced contracts of productive players) to improve the roster. They are out there - and not players like Gomez - but for example, last year Campbell was available from Hawks and he went to the Panthers.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:29 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
How much do Moulson and P.A. need to do before NHL fans even Isles fans before they just accept that Garth Snow unearthed a few gems?
In my book, they're both top tier 2nd line players. Nothing wrong with that.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:43 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
I agree

Your top 3 should feat 2 all stars imo....

X-JT-X
Moulson-X-PAP

when we look like that and Moulson and PAP are on our 2nd line, we will be in good shape...

Old
03-04-2012, 04:06 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
I agree, and having one on your 1st line is fine too. Moulson is a better fit on a 1st line than Parenteau is though.

Old
03-04-2012, 04:39 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
I agree, and having one on your 1st line is fine too. Moulson is a better fit on a 1st line than Parenteau is though.
This, You cant disscount the Chemistry he and JT have....

Though you could put Eric Carins(Big Bad skating dman) On JT's wing and they wil have Chemistry....Johnny is a special player, thats why I would love to see him with a Parise... I know its a pipedream but that would be Magical

Old
03-04-2012, 05:27 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
This, You cant disscount the Chemistry he and JT have....

Though you could put Eric Carins(Big Bad skating dman) On JT's wing and they wil have Chemistry....Johnny is a special player, thats why I would love to see him with a Parise... I know its a pipedream but that would be Magical
Parise just isn't a realistic option for this team. I would love to trade our 1st round pick plus whatever for Bobby Ryan.