HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez not expected to return next year -- possibly be traded to the NYI this summer

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2012, 04:39 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Gomez not expected to return next year -- possibly be traded to the NYI this summer

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...s-2012-nhl-mon

Quote:
Center Scott Gomez may have played his final game in a Canadiens uniform. Gomez suffered an eye injury during a scrum in the corner in the third period of the March 1 game against the Minnesota Wild. The Canadiens said it will be a few days before doctors determine the exact nature of the injury but he is out indefinitely.

Gomez has two years remaining on a contract he originally signed with the New York Rangers, but he’s not expected to return next season.

There is an outside chance the Canadiens will be able to trade him, but it’s more likely the team will buy him out or bury him in the American Hockey League. With the salary cap going up once again in June, the floor will also rise and Gomez might be attractive to a team looking to fill cap space. Gomez’s contract is front-loaded and he is owed $10 million over the final two seasons, but has a cap hit of $14.6 million. One obstacle to a trade is Gomez has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, and he balked when the Canadiens tried to trade him to the New York Islanders.

The Canadiens, who fell to the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-1 on Saturday and next travel to Calgary to face the Flames on Tuesday, can save some cap space if they park Gomez in the minors, but they would be on the hook for the full $10 million he’s owed. If they buy him out, it would cost them $6.67 million but they would take a cap hit of about $1.6 million in each of the next four seasons.

Gomez’s production has gone steadily down in each of his three seasons in Montreal. He had 59 points in 78 games his first season and a career-low 38 points in 80 games last season. Injuries have limited him to 35 games and he had two goals and eight assists for 10 points.

Old
03-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Serious HABit

good time for him to GTF0 of the habs uniform and give the #11 to someone deserving!

Old
03-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Muminek

If true and

Old
03-04-2012, 04:45 PM
coolasprICE

the Islanders board are going ape **** on this

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1126225

Old
03-04-2012, 04:46 PM
PunkinDrublic*

I don't know how credible this is, but it seems very amateurish. Along with the 12 year olds commenting at the bottom.

Old
03-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Cyclones Rock

I can't envision anyone doing this. There are far too many options of overpaid players whom would be readily available who could fill cap space but provide something in return.

DiPietro and Gomez on the same roster..........shouldn't be legal.

Old
03-04-2012, 04:49 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I can't envision anyone doing this. There are far too many options of overpaid players whom would be readily available who could fill cap space but provide something in return.

DiPietro and Gomez on the same roster..........shouldn't be legal.
for teams that are financially in the toilet and that need to reach the cap, this CAN make sense... read the article, his cap hit is 14.6 mil, his salary is 10 mil...

$4.6 million is nothing to laugh at

Old
03-04-2012, 04:49 PM
DAChampion

There was a rumored Gomez to NYI trade LAST YEAR, so I think this article is a copy paste.

IIRC, the rumor was Scott Gomez for Josh Bailey, with some picks thrown in.

ETA: Gomez had a lot more value a year ago.

Old
03-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
for teams that are financially in the toilet and that need to reach the cap, this CAN make sense... read the article, his cap hit is 14.6 mil, his salary is 10 mil...

$4.6 million is nothing to laugh at
I got ya. Point remains the same. There are better options to reach the cap floor. C'mon.....can you imagine trying to sell this to your fan base? It'd be like trying to sell filet mignon to the Ghost.

Old
03-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Kriss E

Another unrealistic rumor.

Old
03-04-2012, 04:58 PM
ThaDevilGirl

That is great reading comprehension.

Old
03-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Miller Time

all I know is that if he did indeed block a trade, it is absolutely mind-boggling that we didn't immediately demote him to Hamilton.

it's one thing for a player to use the NTC the team he signed with gave him (and where he potentially left money on the table to commit to them), it's another for a guy who is on his 2nd team, and who is absolutely underperforming, to use a clause another team gave him to block a trade.

in that case, screw him, bury him on the buses of Southern Ontario and let him collect his paycheck over there.

some will accuse me of piling on, but if PG tried to trade him, he refused, and PG did nothing about it, yet another sign of what a terrible leader he is for this franchise.

Old
03-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

More than likely bought out than dealt, cause no one wants that loser. He's not even useful at league minimum.

Old
03-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Failing Hands

I don't know about a trade, but I fully expect PG to do something with Gomez. If nothing is done, I have lost the little hope I have left in management.

Old
03-04-2012, 05:06 PM
LastRide

I'm not getting my hopes up. I have read this stuff before. Gomer is like a boomerang. You try to toss him away and he comes back.

Old
03-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Ceux de Montreal
help

Please be true. More ice time for DD, Eller and Leblanc.

Old
03-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Gomez will finish his contract with the Habs.

Old
03-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Krnage

i will weep of joy if that happend

Old
03-04-2012, 05:13 PM
jphabs

The OP can't read, that is not what this article says at all. I think this comes from the article in the Toronto Sun :

Quote:
Scott Gomez may have played his final game in a Montreal Canadiens uniform.
Gomez suffered an eye injury during a scrum in the corner in the third period of the March 1 game against the Minnesota Wild. The Canadiens said it will be a few days before doctors determine the exact nature of the injury but he is out indefinitely.
Gomez has two years remaining on a contract he originally signed with the New York Rangers, but he’s not expected to return next season.
There is an outside chance the Canadiens will be able to trade him, but it’s more likely the team will buy him out or bury him in the American Hockey League. With the salary cap going up once again in June, the floor will also rise and Gomez might be attractive to a team looking to fill cap space. Gomez’s contract is front-loaded and he is owed $10 million over the final two seasons, but has an annual cap hit of about $7.3 million.
One obstacle to a trade is Gomez has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, and he balked when the Canadiens tried to trade him to the New York Islanders.
The Canadiens, who fell to the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-1 on Saturday and next travel to Calgary to face the Flames on Tuesday, can save some cap space if they park Gomez in the minors, but they would be on the hook for the full $10 million he’s owed. If they buy him out, it would cost them $6.67 million but they would take a cap hit of about $1.6 million in each of the next four seasons.
Gomez’s production has gone steadily down in each of his three seasons in Montreal. He had 59 points in 78 games his first season and a career-low 38 points in 80 games last season. Injuries have limited him to 35 games and he had two goals and eight assists for 10 points.
The injury has provided rookie Louis Leblanc another opportunity to play in the NHL. He and Andreas Engqvist were recalled from Hamilton after Gomez and Aaron Palushaj both suffered eye injuries in the Minnesota game.
http://m.torontosun.com/2012/03/04/g...ith-eye-injury

As you can read, it's all spectulation. Wishful thinking!

Last edited by jphabs: 03-04-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old
03-04-2012, 05:14 PM
habscup

PG has showned that nobody messes with him, Cammaleri spoke against the team and coach, traded two days later, Kostitsyn spoke bad about the coach, traded 2 weeks later, going back in history Sergei, Latendresse, etc. If Gomez really did what he did, Pierre would've kicked him to the curb for sure.

I dont buy this.

Old
03-04-2012, 05:16 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
PG has showned that nobody messes with him, Cammaleri spoke against the team and coach, traded two days later, Kostitsyn spoke bad about the coach, traded 2 weeks later, going back in history Sergei, Latendresse, etc. If Gomez really did what he did, Pierre would've kicked him to the curb for sure.

I dont buy this.
Which is?

Old
03-04-2012, 05:17 PM
BobLoblaw

Not sure I follow.

Gomez has a NTC and allegedly blocks a trade to NYI.

Why couldn't the Habs just waive him in order for the Islanders to claim him? It's not like he would bring any value back in a trade..

Old
03-04-2012, 05:27 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Not sure I follow.

Why couldn't the Habs just waive him in order for the Islanders to claim him? It's not like he would bring any value back in a trade..
Gomez has negative value so NYI likely expects to send negative value the other way. DiPietro would be a great backup for Price for the next 10+ years.

Old
03-04-2012, 05:28 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Not sure I follow.

I think theyd be on the hook for half the salary

Old
03-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
We knew this all already

And all this says is that he refused a trade to the islanders, so why will he be there next year?

Closed Thread