HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Magic Number Thread (We Did It!)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2012, 11:22 PM
  #26
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,686
vCash: 2940
Updated to include games on 3/3.

__________________
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:10 PM
  #27
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,686
vCash: 2940
Updated to include games on 3/4.

I'll start using tiebreakers when our magic number is in single-digits.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:18 PM
  #28
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,509
vCash: 500
I spend an inordinate amount of time just gazing at the standings lately.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:34 PM
  #29
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,686
vCash: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I spend an inordinate amount of time just gazing at the standings lately.
I finally feel a lot more comfortable not having to do that. When we were a bubble team, I would scoreboard watch and stare at the standings every day (starting in October).

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:35 PM
  #30
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I finally feel a lot more comfortable not having to do that. When we were a bubble team, I would scoreboard watch and stare at the standings every day (starting in October).
I'm thinking he meant that it's nice seeing the Rangers in first. And you just like to admire it.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:06 PM
  #31
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,591
vCash: 500
It's nice not having to worry about if the Rangers will make the playoffs or not.

Hoping for a nice first round matchup.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
  #32
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
It's nice not having to worry about if the Rangers will make the playoffs or not.

Hoping for a nice first round matchup.
Seriously. They're saving me a game 82 heart attack this year, which I appreciate.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:32 PM
  #33
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
I think your calculations might be off

This site: http://playoffstatus.com/nhl/eastern...icnumbers.html says that as of yesterday we needed 13 wins to clinch the 1 seed, which means 26 points. We got the win today, so the magic number becomes 12 wins (24 pts). Your calculations say that we need 27 points INCLUDING today's win, which is a difference of 3 points. I can understand a difference of 1 point due to treating tiebreakers or whatever differently but it shouldn't be 3 points

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:36 PM
  #34
Giglio NYR15
Section 417
 
Giglio NYR15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
I think your calculations might be off

This site: http://playoffstatus.com/nhl/eastern...icnumbers.html says that as of yesterday we needed 13 wins to clinch the 1 seed, which means 26 points. We got the win today, so the magic number becomes 12 wins (24 pts). Your calculations say that we need 27 points INCLUDING today's win, which is a difference of 3 points. I can understand a difference of 1 point due to treating tiebreakers or whatever differently but it shouldn't be 3 points
I often go to this site as well...the percentages of our chances to get each spot are pretty cool as well. This matches up though with 12 points to clinch 8th with playoff status. 6 wins aka 12 pts.

I also saw on twitter today it was 25 points to clinch 1 seed...cant remember where though.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:37 PM
  #35
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
ohhh, I see, that site is based on how many CONSECUTIVE games a team has to win in order to clinch a given spot. So that would include beating some rivals in some cases

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:40 PM
  #36
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
I often go to this site as well...the percentages of our chances to get each spot are pretty cool as well. This matches up though with 12 points to clinch 8th with playoff status. 6 wins aka 12 pts.

I also saw on twitter today it was 25 points to clinch 1 seed...cant remember where though.
Actually it'd be 5 once it updates to include today's win. If you look at the points column it'll still show that we got 91

Also, check this out, it's pretty neat: http://playoffstatus.com/nhl/rangerswhatif.html

Even if we pull a red sox we'll still make it lol

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:49 PM
  #37
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,686
vCash: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
I think your calculations might be off

This site: http://playoffstatus.com/nhl/eastern...icnumbers.html says that as of yesterday we needed 13 wins to clinch the 1 seed, which means 26 points. We got the win today, so the magic number becomes 12 wins (24 pts). Your calculations say that we need 27 points INCLUDING today's win, which is a difference of 3 points. I can understand a difference of 1 point due to treating tiebreakers or whatever differently but it shouldn't be 3 points
Then I think this website is wrong. If Pittsburgh wins every game of the season, they would have 117 points. For us to get 118, we would need 27 points, which would be good for #1 in the east.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:53 PM
  #38
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Then I think this website is wrong. If Pittsburgh wins every game of the season, they would have 117 points. For us to get 118, we would need 27 points, which would be good for #1 in the east.
I actually figured out why (it's in the post after that one).

That site is based on consecutive wins. So if we were to get 24 points in the next 12 games we would clinch.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:05 AM
  #39
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,686
vCash: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
I actually figured out why (it's in the post after that one).

That site is based on consecutive wins. So if we were to get 24 points in the next 12 games we would clinch.
Oh, that makes sense since they probably look into our actual schedule to see if it's possible for everyone to win out (which obviously isn't).

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:18 AM
  #40
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Oh, that makes sense since they probably look into our actual schedule to see if it's possible for everyone to win out (which obviously isn't).
No, consecutive wins, which means if we win the next 12 games we will beat the penguins 1 time.

Basically their methodology tells how soon it's possible to guarantee a certain playoff spot.

And they might be more scientific about the tiebreakers then you are.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:22 AM
  #41
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,686
vCash: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
No, consecutive wins, which means if we win the next 12 games we will beat the penguins 1 time.

Basically their methodology tells how soon it's possible to guarantee a certain playoff spot.

And they might be more scientific about the tiebreakers then you are.
Yeah I know, that's what I said. They included the game against Pittsburgh which if we win, it would make it impossible for Pittsburgh to win out.

And I'm going to start using real tiebreakers when it comes down to single-digits for us to clinch, because it's just a waste of time to do it this early, IMO.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:58 AM
  #42
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Yeah I know, that's what I said. They included the game against Pittsburgh which if we win, it would make it impossible for Pittsburgh to win out.

And I'm going to start using real tiebreakers when it comes down to single-digits for us to clinch, because it's just a waste of time to do it this early, IMO.
Oh ok, I thought you meant something else

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:08 PM
  #43
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,686
vCash: 2940
Updated to include games on 3/5.

(Nothing changed)

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:17 PM
  #44
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,686
vCash: 2940
Updated to include games on 3/6.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:20 PM
  #45
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,591
vCash: 500
How many points do we need to clinch the playoffs?

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:23 PM
  #46
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
How many points do we need to clinch the playoffs?
Probably 10 in the worst case scenario. kane has that # at 12, but I don't think it's possible for other teams to get the maximum # of points kane has in his chart due to games versus each other. And we're ahead on a lot of the tiebreakers

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:36 PM
  #47
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Probably 10 in the worst case scenario. kane has that # at 12, but I don't think it's possible for other teams to get the maximum # of points kane has in his chart due to games versus each other. And we're ahead on a lot of the tiebreakers
right now washington and winnipeg can get to 102 tied for 8th/9th highest possible total and they play each other twice. even if they alternate overtime wins they would both lose atleast 1 point in those head-to-head games taking their max point total to 101 which is 10 points more than we have now.

both teams could still catch us in ROWs so make it 11 to account for the potential tie-breaker.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:24 PM
  #48
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,686
vCash: 2940
Updated to include games on 3/7.

**** you Pittsburgh.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:43 PM
  #49
Giglio NYR15
Section 417
 
Giglio NYR15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Updated to include games on 3/7.

**** you Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh is scaring me. People are getting too cocky thinking were running away with the conference and division. The pens are 6 points back and getting crosby next week. Time to step it up!!!!

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:47 PM
  #50
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,686
vCash: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Pittsburgh is scaring me. People are getting too cocky thinking were running away with the conference and division. The pens are 6 points back and getting crosby next week. Time to step it up!!!!
I haven't been keeping up with the Crosby news, because I don't really care, but he's probably about a few weeks away or maybe a month. It seems like when players get cleared for contact, they always take a while.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.