HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline day thread... oh look, we do abso****inglutely nothing

Old
03-04-2012, 08:01 PM
totalkev

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post

And you don't see the irony in saying that, Sens, after passing on info from your inside source?
... that turned out to be horrifically off-base ...

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
What do you mean "to be fair." That's what EVERYONE'S saying. JR could've gotten a decent return on a shallow market for Spacek and DIDN'T. Nothing to be "fair" to him about...
I'm saying since he could have got a decent return, he knew that and maybe thought he could stretch it to a second....

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:48 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

There's no context in that rumor at all. We have no idea when this convo went down. These kinds of rumors are the most pointless to discuss. It doesn't say Boston offered anything solid and doesn't tell you when JR asked for the second rounder.

The innuendo that Hogsdon was offered for Sutter is worth more discussion than this Spacek nonsense.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkingdynamic View Post

The innuendo that Hogsdon was offered for Sutter is worth more discussion than this Spacek nonsense.
Whoa...

Old
03-05-2012, 06:24 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I've not seen that bit about Hodgson anywhere.

Just because you guys don't agree with it doesn't mean it didn't happen (nor that it did, sure). But is it really *that* hard to believe that someone called about Spacek at the deadline? I don't really buy the 2nd, but that wasn't really my point and the actual return has never been. If JR was offered anything at all, he should have jumped on it.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:

And you don't see the irony in saying that, Sens, after passing on info from your inside source?
No not really. Y'all are taking the words of whoever wrote about Spacek as gospel. I did not criticize anyone for not believing me (at least, I don't recall doing so). I merely pointed out 1) I have no skin in the game, thus no reason to lie, and 2) coming second-hand from a player, I don't see why you wouldn't believe it. That's all.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

In that same stream of thought, this is coming from a respected reporter (if a quick Google search is any indication) with no reason to lie, second-hand from a GM (likely Chiarelli), since the GM's the only one who would know what JR's asking price was.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
In that same stream of thought, this is coming from a respected reporter (if a quick Google search is any indication) with no reason to lie, second-hand from a GM (likely Chiarelli), since the GM's the only one who would know what JR's asking price was.
There were simply too many "ifs" in the article, though. It was purely speculative. I kind of look at what faulkingdynamic said...no context.

In contrast, however, maybe the reporter uses those words (word is, possibly) to hedge against directly stating Chiarelli as his source. I don't know.

I do know it wasn't enough for *me* to summarily bash JR.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

In my experience when it comes to sports reporting, a lot of things are said "off the record". It's to be expected, since players, coaches, GMs, etc. don't want to look bad in the spotlight.

So many things are said "off the record" that reporters occasionally need to get those "off the record" statements...on the record. The phrasing the reporter used is one of the ways to do that. Using "Word is" or "Rumor has it" when citing solid information from an off-the-record source. In my experience, most don't care as long as they aren't named specifically. It comes off as a rumor, so they're in the free and clear, and the information they really wanted to get out there (or else they wouldn't have told a reporter that information in the first place) gets out there.

That's the take I got from the report. Chiarelli doesn't want to burn bridges with JR by coming out and saying his asking price is ridiculous, but when the beat writer comes asking about the trade deadline and what deals didn't get done and why, he may feel comfortable leaking that "rumor".

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:16 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Whoa...
Canadian reporters, not sure who originated the report but it was mentioned again on HNIC, reported that Van was indeed shopping Hogsdon hard and among the teams they contacted and had talks with were Carolina. JR said twice on deadline day that he had talks with other teams about hockey trades but they werent going to give up Sutter or Skinner. Vancouver was looking to deal an out of place Hodgson off the third line to fill what they believed to be a hole, either a sizable winger or a checking line center. They ended up filling both, with Kassian and Pahlson. Of course all of this is rumor as well but all the pieces are easy to put together even if it was a 90 second cross continental conversation that didnt go very far.

Either way it is far more interesting to weigh this team with Hodgson versus Sutter....in lieu of 4 pages talking about that 4th round pick we should have gotten for Spacek.

Old
03-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

if that was in any way possible with not giving too much else besides Sutter, i would have totally done it. I love Sutter but Hodgson is on another level...

Old
03-05-2012, 12:58 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Honestly I'm fine with JR keeping Sutter in that instance. Hodgson is having a great season no doubt but I honestly would rather have that shutdown center there who's also capable of 20G/40+pts

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:14 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Kevin Paul Dupont is a good Bruins beat reporter. As reliable as Chip, and not prone to putting bad information out there since he does have a reputation to uphold.

That said, he could just as easily have heard second-hand from someone else in the front office as from Chiarelli. Maybe he got it from the guy who gets Chiarelli's coffee. Who knows. What I take away from it is that discussions were had about Spacek but weren't fruitful. Reading details between the lines is kind of risky.

My take is that the Bruins were probably shopping Kampfer hard. He never really became what they were hoping for, kind of a failed McBain. While he might very well have a good NHL career as a late bloomer, I'm not sure there would be much point in creating a further logjam of right-handed PMDs in our system -- and that is probably where JR and Chiarelli were unable to see eye-to-eye.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:38 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
if that was in any way possible with not giving too much else besides Sutter, i would have totally done it. I love Sutter but Hodgson is on another level...
On what another level? Sutter is already one of the top defensive forward in the league, he's one of the leaders of that team. Hodgson is big enigma for me. Thanks god JR doesn't make that trade.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
On what another level? Sutter is already one of the top defensive forward in the league, he's one of the leaders of that team. Hodgson is big enigma for me. Thanks god JR doesn't make that trade.
He would be the 2nd line center the Canes desperately need. All of the sudden the top six would look pretty damn good.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Something stinks to me about Vancouver being so willing to unload Hodgson at this stage of his career. I don't know if lingering injury issues are the concern, but I remember him being considered at one point to have had a contentious relationship with the organization due to undiagnosed injuries and such. Sutter is certainly not part of the problem here, so I consider him part of the solution. Especially at his price.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:27 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Something stinks to me about Vancouver being so willing to unload Hodgson at this stage of his career. I don't know if lingering injury issues are the concern, but I remember him being considered at one point to have had a contentious relationship with the organization due to undiagnosed injuries and such. Sutter is certainly not part of the problem here, so I consider him part of the solution. Especially at his price.
I agree with your position on Sutter. The issue in VAN was an ice time issue IMO. Hodgson had no reason to believe he was ever going to see anything but third line minutes with third line players. He wasnt going to play over Sedin and Kelser. That would certainly hurt his next contract value. This just smells like a young player who forced his way out to spread his wings a bit.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkingdynamic View Post
I agree with your position on Sutter. The issue in VAN was an ice time issue IMO. Hodgson had no reason to believe he was ever going to see anything but third line minutes with third line players. He wasnt going to play over Sedin and Kelser. That would certainly hurt his next contract value. This just smells like a young player who forced his way out to spread his wings a bit.
I can see that, but usually organizations in that position tell the player to get bent until he proves he can either play the wing to get his icetime or force his way into consideration by virtue of his play down the middle. The way Boston handled Seguin comes to mind here. They had Savard, Bergeron, Krejci, Peverley, Kelly, etc. down the middle in the past few years and pretty much told him to prove it if he thought he needed more icetime.

I don't see any NHL team dealing depth away because they're so good that they don't need it. You know? Why do the kid a favor to the detriment of your own team? He clearly wasn't going to pull a Kyle Turris so why not let him work his way into clear consideration for time ahead of his competition instead of shipping him out?

It just doesn't add up to me.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:55 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I think they would have told him to get bent if they didnt get the pieces they really wanted. I dont think they were dealing him at any cost. IMO they made a list of players to target and tried to get one. Plus you cant go wrong with a big Ontario native. Everyone needs more Ontario. I wouldnt have made the deal personally but i think it helps them in the short term going for the cup.